Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Heat treating doesn't destroy anything or melt plastic. You just need to unplug your electronics and put any alcohol and medication in the fridge.

You don't need to throw anything away. If they're still there somehow your new stuff will get infected too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
If you lived somewhere cold, would shutting your water off and leaving all the windows open for a week in January work? You'd be staying somewhere else of course.

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

the only treatment that's supposed to work is heating your domicile to 130+ degrees but that'll destroy any electronics and melt your plastics and probably gently caress up your place in other ways too.

It won't gently caress your electronics, it will however warp your blinds, kill your plants and animals, probably some other poo poo I'm not remembering but the most notable was the warped blinds.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 684 days!)

Scald posted:

It won't gently caress your electronics, it will however warp your blinds, kill your plants and animals, probably some other poo poo I'm not remembering but the most notable was the warped blinds.

i got a lengthy and dire spiel from the pest control company that does not offer heat treatment so i would not be surprised if they were exaggerating the damage

you should still basically suicide if you get bed bugs tho, It's Bad.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
As a counterpoint, I did a heat treatment and it killed all bedbugs, which was nice after two failed treatments with pesticide. It did not ruin my blinds, animals, electronics or anything else.

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006
Think it's important to remember that while lovely, and sometimes REALLY REALLY BAD, they are treatable by a decent pest guy. If it's a small enough infestation they will just come and steam treat with a commercial spot steamer. Pesticides/heat treatments are also options. Freezing does kill the bugs, but they are way more resistant to cold than heat.

Don't panic, anxiety is really the worst thing that happens during an infestation. It's what causes people to start sleeping on the couch/in the tub because the bed bugs are in their bedroom. Then they just follow you to the living room/bathroom and setup shop there as well.

It's going to take a lot of effort and patience on your part but you can get rid of an infestation. Don't half rear end things, and get a drat professional. It can get really bad, there are videos that show whole house infestations and after the PCO goes through there are just dead loving bugs EVERYWHERE, but that's a huge infestation and unless you have a hundred crawling on you at night I doubt your problem is that bad.

And yeh, bedbugs dont give a gently caress about how clean/dirty the house is. They just like blood, and they live anywhere.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Thanks for inspiring me to watch those youtube videos. I now itch everywhere.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

My wife used to for a pest control company, in her words, "chemical treatments don't do poo poo; heat is the only way to kill those fuckers." The reasoning is that bed bug eggs are watertight, so chemicals may kill the adults, but the eggs keep on truckin'.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

bed bugs!! we got them when I came back after traveling abroad. It lasted about a week until I went to the doctor, but we washed all our sheets after that and found out that they were primarily living in the heated blanket that I used at night. Threw it out and they were gone overnight thank god

a lucky and unusual experience id say

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Didn't they used to use DDT to kill bedbugs? Man I'd be all over bringing it back ONLY FOR USE VS. BEDBUGS so it doesn't get back out into the environment.

Guess not.

quote:

No chemical insecticide is immune to resistance, particularly if it is overused. Today, roughly 90% of bed bugs have a genetic mutation that makes them resistant to pyrethroids, a class of insecticides commonly used for bed bugs that work in a similar way to DDT.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 18, 2014

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
I can't believe this thread is about Bed Bugs.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I recently signed a lease at an apartment. Part of the lease stated that basically "if you moved here you are saying you are bed bug free, if we find bed bugs, its your fault, you will pay for everything in regards to getting rid of them, and we will murder your first born".

I am not sure how that would work out if it came down to determining who was originally at fault but, it was pretty stern.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I posted in the old thread about my first hand experience with those nasty fuckers. Still a bit Messed up from the experience but we seem to be out of the woods.

Short synopsis: my wife and I moved into a house for a year and had no idea it was previously infested with bed bugs until we were moving out. We had bites but dismissed them as stress breakouts and possible spider bites. It wasn't until we were halfway through out move to our new house that we discovered our mattress and bedroom were infested. Cue a 6 month period of constant cleaning, steaming, inspecting, and worry that we may have transferred the bloodsuckers over to our new house. It's been a year since bites, waste spots, or sheds have been discovered but we are not letting up for another year before everything is out of our air tight and black bagged emergency storage.

I'm willing to share anything I learned over the past year or so from discovery to treating to purging.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

jiffypop45 posted:

I recently signed a lease at an apartment. Part of the lease stated that basically "if you moved here you are saying you are bed bug free, if we find bed bugs, its your fault, you will pay for everything in regards to getting rid of them, and we will murder your first born".

I am not sure how that would work out if it came down to determining who was originally at fault but, it was pretty stern.
Funny, I just found this thread, and on page one several people advise (or threaten) to withhold rent. I am a landlord and have not dealt with bedbugs yet, but the members of my landlord rear end'n talk big about how they don't pay for extermination. With other pests, if you moved in and it was pest-free, and six months later you get cockroaches and call and demand I pay for an exterminator - well, you brought the cockroaches, you pay the exterminator. The difference is cockroaches will pretty much stay in the filthy apartment, and are relatively easy to kill after you move out. Bedbugs will spread to the less filthy units and then the good tenants will move. So in the end, it is to the landlord's advantage to help.

It's complicated because as a tenant, you can negate the whole (very expensive) bedbug exterminating experience by coming home and flopping your bedbug ridden self on the couch, and then it's up to me to pay for another (very expensive) bedbug exterminator again next month.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I'm not sure cockroaches actually do stay in the filthy apartment. I think they spread out, too.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Plus bedbugs can spend a long period of time inactive and show no signs of infestation until it's to late. Hell, it's been over a year since the initial treatments and we still have stuff in airtight storage and bagged up. Don't want to even risk it :smith:

If you have a drop ceiling like some college dorms and apartments do, you could treat one room and they just hang out in the ceiling area and either wait to come back or move to the neighboring apartments. Be prepared to deal with this for a long time, because they are tenacious.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Bedbugs + Ebola = ????

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid
Grossest thing I have ever had to deal with. I still have nightmares about those greasy bastards to this day.

We just ended up moving and not taking a lot of things with us.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

So, uh, I noticed some bites on my feet earlier this week. If anybody feels like looking, I'd love to know if these are bed bug bites or something else. Based on my research, they sort of look like bed bugs, but they sort of don't. Roughly a few days before I noticed a lot of flying bugs in the apartment. Plus, my roommate's dogs came back a few days before, so it could be fleas from them I suspect, as well. They're also exclusive to my feet. No hints of any bites elsewhere. And there have been no further bites since.

Regardless of this internet diagnosis, is there any sure way to determine what these bites are? Like, is there someone who could come in and look around? I already spent 10m looking around my bed and I saw nothing, but that's by no means a guarantee.

In any case, thanks to whoever looks and can help.

http://imgur.com/CegOBRK

http://imgur.com/lT11bPc

http://imgur.com/Y7sCKid

Also, I was scratching them just now so they may be a bit redder than they should be.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
Bedbugs, most likely.

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

I don't do drugs, if I want a rush I just get out of the chair when I'm not expecting it
Could also be a bad reaction to fleas, better check your mattress just in case.

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid
Just wait until night and check your room and bed with a flashlight. You will know if you have them because they are loving EVERYWHERE.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

sadus posted:

Bedbugs + Ebola = ????

Bed bugs do not transmit bloodborne pathogens. Why they don't is kind of a mystery, since other bloodsucking insects and ticks spread disease like malaria, lyme disease and bubonic plague.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I work in community housing, bed bugs are a loving pain to deal. I had a jar of live ones brought down to me on Friday that are sitting on my shelf at work. This thread is appropriately timed because that jar signifies a new outbreak!

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study

Abel Wingnut posted:

So, uh, I noticed some bites on my feet earlier this week. If anybody feels like looking, I'd love to know if these are bed bug bites or something else. Based on my research, they sort of look like bed bugs, but they sort of don't. Roughly a few days before I noticed a lot of flying bugs in the apartment. Plus, my roommate's dogs came back a few days before, so it could be fleas from them I suspect, as well. They're also exclusive to my feet. No hints of any bites elsewhere. And there have been no further bites since.

Regardless of this internet diagnosis, is there any sure way to determine what these bites are? Like, is there someone who could come in and look around? I already spent 10m looking around my bed and I saw nothing, but that's by no means a guarantee.

In any case, thanks to whoever looks and can help.

http://imgur.com/CegOBRK

http://imgur.com/lT11bPc

http://imgur.com/Y7sCKid

Also, I was scratching them just now so they may be a bit redder than they should be.

Having had to deal with fleas that came home with us from camping, I can say with almost complete certainty that those are flea bites. They tend to focus on the legs and feet, and don't welt up unless you're really allergic.
Run a flea comb through the dog and you should see some evidence. If your roommate doesn't have his dog on regular preventative flea treatment, it's almost definitely fleas. They can be picked up when walking through grass.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Bed bug bites are usually located in lines or localized areas coinciding with how you sleep. For instance if you sleep on your right side you could have a concentration of them on your right side. This isn't always the case mind you but if you are only getting them on one side, I'd start inspecting your mattress

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
I'm not reading two pages of posts about bed bugs

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

photomikey posted:

Funny, I just found this thread, and on page one several people advise (or threaten) to withhold rent. I am a landlord and have not dealt with bedbugs yet, but the members of my landlord rear end'n talk big about how they don't pay for extermination. With other pests, if you moved in and it was pest-free, and six months later you get cockroaches and call and demand I pay for an exterminator - well, you brought the cockroaches, you pay the exterminator. The difference is cockroaches will pretty much stay in the filthy apartment, and are relatively easy to kill after you move out. Bedbugs will spread to the less filthy units and then the good tenants will move. So in the end, it is to the landlord's advantage to help.

It's complicated because as a tenant, you can negate the whole (very expensive) bedbug exterminating experience by coming home and flopping your bedbug ridden self on the couch, and then it's up to me to pay for another (very expensive) bedbug exterminator again next month.

It also discourages tenants from coming forward to their landlords, which can cause the infestation to get out of hand or spread to other tenants (who could come forward and end up shouldering the blame, despite not really being responsibe).

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

photomikey posted:

The approach we take at work is as a landlord it's cheaper for us to get involved earlier rather than it getting into the skirting board and walls and becoming very hard to treat. If it's at that latter stage and the trnaynat vacates we're stuck with the costs anyhow plus the risk of it moving to other rooms in the building.

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid

Matthew Beet posted:

I work in community housing, bed bugs are a loving pain to deal. I had a jar of live ones brought down to me on Friday that are sitting on my shelf at work. This thread is appropriately timed because that jar signifies a new outbreak!

Honestly, I gagged when I read about the the jar of live ones. That poo poo is hosed.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

vermeul posted:

Honestly, I gagged when I read about the the jar of live ones. That poo poo is hosed.

Yeah probably a good 15-20 in there. They all end up clinging together. It looks like over the weekend they've laid eggs in there too.

One of my colleagues asked if he could take the jar to his ex girlfriends house.

I'm kind of horrified at that thought.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Matthew Beet posted:

The approach we take at work is as a landlord it's cheaper for us to get involved earlier rather than it getting into the skirting board and walls and becoming very hard to treat. If it's at that latter stage and the trnaynat vacates we're stuck with the costs anyhow plus the risk of it moving to other rooms in the building.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting landlords not treat the problem, but the thread had taken a turn toward "march down to your landlord's office and demand something be done!", and my suggestion is perhaps saying please and thank you is a better approach, as they are not required to help in all municipalities.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

photomikey posted:

Yeah, I'm not suggesting landlords not treat the problem, but the thread had taken a turn toward "march down to your landlord's office and demand something be done!", and my suggestion is perhaps saying please and thank you is a better approach, as they are not required to help in all municipalities.

Oh yeah I wasn't disagreeing with you. We still have a select criteria tenants have to be eligible for. If you've been with us for quite some time and your property has been kept in good condition, we'll definitely cover the cost of the treatment. IF it keeps happening, no, you're on your own.

If you just moved in a month ago with a whole heap of furniture and we categorically know there weren't bed bugs prior to your tenacny? Sorry, you're paying for it yourself.

edit: So yeah, be nice to your landlord especially when you're asking for something. Not all landlords are slumlords.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 29, 2014

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

photomikey posted:

I feel like I need to defend myself since I was the one who said that.

In both cases--the OP's and effexor's--the infestation had originated in another unit, not the poster's. If the infestation did spread to the poster's unit, that makes it the landlord's obligation to address it in most US jurisdictions. In both cases, it was clear that the measures the landlord was taking were not adequate--the OP had to wait over a week just to get an exterminator to look at the building, and in effexor's case, the landlord was only arranging a single treatment of the neighboring unit. The latter is an extremely common scenario when it comes to renters' experiences with bed bugs. I only advised to withhold rent in the context of a legal rent escrow action, in accordance with local law.

So, fair enough, start by asking nicely, but also know what your rights and obligations are and, if the landlord is not meeting their obligations, don't be afraid to take appropriate legal action to guarantee they perform. I don't necessarily even think a landlord who doesn't deal with an infestation appropriately is a "slumlord"; a lot of them are probably just ignorant about the time, effort and expense required to deal with bed bugs and think that a half-measure will work. A rent escrow action is a powerful incentive for them to find out what they actually need to do.

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid

Matthew Beet posted:

Oh yeah I wasn't disagreeing with you. We still have a select criteria tenants have to be eligible for. If you've been with us for quite some time and your property has been kept in good condition, we'll definitely cover the cost of the treatment. IF it keeps happening, no, you're on your own.

If you just moved in a month ago with a whole heap of furniture and we categorically know there weren't bed bugs prior to your tenacny? Sorry, you're paying for it yourself.

edit: So yeah, be nice to your landlord especially when you're asking for something. Not all landlords are slumlords.

I moved into an apartment. 3 Months later we noticed there were bed bugs. Landlord covered all treatment costs. Was 2 sessions by exterminators using sketchy chemicals. RIP bedbugs (never forget)

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

lexan posted:

I feel like I need to defend myself since I was the one who said that.

In both cases--the OP's and effexor's--the infestation had originated in another unit, not the poster's. If the infestation did spread to the poster's unit, that makes it the landlord's obligation to address it in most US jurisdictions. In both cases, it was clear that the measures the landlord was taking were not adequate--the OP had to wait over a week just to get an exterminator to look at the building, and in effexor's case, the landlord was only arranging a single treatment of the neighboring unit. The latter is an extremely common scenario when it comes to renters' experiences with bed bugs. I only advised to withhold rent in the context of a legal rent escrow action, in accordance with local law.

So, fair enough, start by asking nicely, but also know what your rights and obligations are and, if the landlord is not meeting their obligations, don't be afraid to take appropriate legal action to guarantee they perform. I don't necessarily even think a landlord who doesn't deal with an infestation appropriately is a "slumlord"; a lot of them are probably just ignorant about the time, effort and expense required to deal with bed bugs and think that a half-measure will work. A rent escrow action is a powerful incentive for them to find out what they actually need to do.

There is a difference between being right, and being legally right. You may be the first; you are not the second.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Depends on where you live. Some places really don't give a poo poo about tenets. For instance. Our landlords placed the blame squarely on us (what bedbugs!? It must have been you who brought them) and wanted us to pay over 700 dollars to spray the fuckers. Funny how that cost went down to around 100 bucks when we threatened to take them to court over it.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I was on vacation for the past week in a cabin in the woods. On the first night, I thought I felt something crawling on me, but my wife convinced me it was just paranoia and I let it go. Unfortunately, on the last night I actually found one of these fuckers in the bed. I am sure it was too late and that at least one got into my luggage. I notified the rental agency of it, and am expecting a call back from their management tomorrow*, so I don't know what they are going to say about it yet, but regardless, I want to conquer this before it even starts. Here is what I have done so far:

1) both my suitcase and my wife's suitcase are in the far stall of our three car garage
2) I immediately washed all of my clothes I took with me in hot water and dried twice on the hottest drier setting
3) I immediately washed any of her clothes she took with in hot water and dried twice on the hottest drier setting, if the clothes were safe with those settings
4) the remainder of her clothes (lots of actually nice poo poo) are in a garbage bag in the same stall of the garage
5) I am going to vacuum every day for a week or two and store the vacuum outside.

I plan to freeze (for two weeks) or possibly dry clean all of her nice stuff. I am not sure what to do about the shoes. I am going to put suitcases into black garbage bags and set them outside for two weeks in January.

My questions are thus:

1) Is a three stall, concrete and unheated garage floor likely to be enough of a distance that the bugs won't get out of the stuff that is waiting to be frozen and make it into the house?
2) what do I do about her car? The bags were in it for ~12 hours while we drove home.
3) what is a reasonable expectation of the rental agency? I'm pretty sure they are going to offer to comp the entire stay, but if I accept that, is that then indemnifying them against any future cleanup costs? Does it matter?
4) I don't think we have any bites on us, which to me says the infestation of the cabin was probably minimal. Does that bode well for me?

*I caught the one bug, put it in a solo cup, and left it in the freezer of the cabin. The girl at the desk was mortified by the conversation, but she is just a staff member and isn't a decision maker. I did get quite a few pictures, but definitely left the evidence behind (and good loving riddance).

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

adorai posted:

3) what is a reasonable expectation of the rental agency? I'm pretty sure they are going to offer to comp the entire stay, but if I accept that, is that then indemnifying them against any future cleanup costs? Does it matter?
I would be shocked if they comp the entire stay. Unless you agree to indemnify them (i.e. sign something), you are not agreeing to anything. As shocked as I would be if they would comp the entire stay, I would be downright floored if you were able to get absolutely anything out of them for treatment of your home, car, clothes, or otherwise. I don't know that I've ever even heard of that happening.

A couple hours at 120F will kill both bugs and eggs. If you leave the suitcase in the car in the sun (depending on how hot it is where you live), there are no bugs left. You may be able to deactivate the auto-shut off on a heater and get the car to 120F even when it's not hot outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

I would be shocked if they comp the entire stay. Unless you agree to indemnify them (i.e. sign something), you are not agreeing to anything. As shocked as I would be if they would comp the entire stay, I would be downright floored if you were able to get absolutely anything out of them for treatment of your home, car, clothes, or otherwise. I don't know that I've ever even heard of that happening.

A couple hours at 120F will kill both bugs and eggs. If you leave the suitcase in the car in the sun (depending on how hot it is where you live), there are no bugs left. You may be able to deactivate the auto-shut off on a heater and get the car to 120F even when it's not hot outside.
Since it's not a standard hotel and they are selling an "experience" I truly believe that they will do anything to avoid a bad yelp review.

Since we are now deep into fall, there is no chance of a car in the sun getting to 120 where I am for at least 6 months, unless we have a freak hot day.

• Locked thread