Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Frostwerks posted:

im not a computer fag (just a regular one) what the gently caress is a boot loader

This means you will lose your job a few years before the computer fags. Hang on tight in the gutter though because if you last long enough you will also see their human being asses join you there and it will totally be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

So back to subsistence hunting and gathering I guess.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
human beings will never, ever recreate the human mind with anything coming close to accuracy. we are totally incapable of it, because we do not understand how the mind works, and never will. we can at best make really, really poor mimicry.

it is true that most jobs will become programming jobs, though. but only humans will be able to program these complicated and specialized systems.

also robots will never replace soft skills. lawyers use automation to minimize their paperwork but that is not the same thing as lawyers being replaced.

and good art cannot be created by a machine. a machine can just be used as a tool in creating art.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Kyrie eleison posted:

human beings will never, ever recreate the human mind with anything coming close to accuracy. we are totally incapable of it, because we do not understand how the mind works, and never will. we can at best make really, really poor mimicry.

it is true that most jobs will become programming jobs, though. but only humans will be able to program these complicated and specialized systems.

also robots will never replace soft skills. lawyers use automation to minimize their paperwork but that is not the same thing as lawyers being replaced.

and good art cannot be created by a machine. a machine can just be used as a tool in creating art.

lol

yea man 420

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Kyrie eleison posted:

So what you're saying is, the future holds infinite anime?

naem
May 29, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

the people best a programming are borderline autistic people who are more like robots themselves coincidence??

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
humans use only 10% of their brains but I've used 78% of my hard drive

QED

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 634 days!

Kyrie eleison posted:

eeehhh I wouldn't be to sure about this.

The legal field has massive unemployment (something like over 50% of new graduates) thanks to automation. Also too many law schools. Traditionally safe jobs like pharmacy can and have been automated with disturbingly accurate results.

Computers don't have to replace every job in every field, they just have to replace enough that unemployment become untenable...and seeing as how unemployment is already pretty bad with no relief in sight...not a pretty picture.

It would be nice if we could all be writers and artists, but without major social reforms, that's a lot of people homeless in the arts.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Either capitalism dies or humanity does.

Humanity is soo loving doomed and all over some imaginary bulllshit.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Cesar Cedeno posted:

The legal field has massive unemployment (something like over 50% of new graduates) thanks to automation.

I'm glad of it.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 634 days!
Well I just need this completely unsustainable ramshackle nightmare world of global consumerism to hold together for like 30-40 more years.

Morkyz posted:

I'm glad of it.

Always good to have lots of disenfranchised, unemployed 20 somethings with absurdly crippling debt.

Usually ends well for everyone.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
What about the plastic dog barfd? What about the truck nuts?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

madeupfred posted:

What about the plastic dog barfd? What about the truck nuts?

Already synthetic puke and machine genitals, get a goddamn grip it's already happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

naem
May 29, 2011

What affect will automation have on nations like china who's main resource is cheap hourly labor? What if we don't need them to assemble iPhones?

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
If robots take all the jobs and noone gets paid, who will buy the products that these robots produce?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Loden Taylor posted:

people say "Threads" was among the bleakest portrayals ever made of life after a nuclear war

me, I saw a world with close to 100% employment and no big government to get in the way of you shooting kids who are trying to steal your grain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTJQTc-TqpU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
this is so loving dumb, it's year 2000/mayan apocalypse all over again. if we're that dumb to keep falling for this media hype then we deserve to be replaced by robots hth

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

gggiiimmmppp posted:

its not that robots cant do it, its just that its so much more gratifying to force a human to abandon all dignity and take a job wiping your rear end for you in order to eat

look at a high society cookbook from the mid-late 19th century. its all pureed poo poo and creamy soups and stuff that sounds like a tremendous pain in the rear end to make. it was a way to show off that you had enough money to pay someone to whack carrots into a thin sludge.

skip forward a few decades to after the food processor has been invented, and suddenly society recipes are all about chunky stews and "rustic" preparation. any fool can put a carrot in a cuisinart and hit Frappe, so now to wave your dick around you need to show that you can afford to have someone cut your meat by hand.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
what im saying is, we must prevail upon the cock-measuring instincts of the upper class if we want to keep humans in the work force.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Indy posted:

If robots take all the jobs and noone gets paid, who will buy the products that these robots produce?
welfare queens and what little bourgeois is left

oh wait, that's not speculative, that's status quo

quakster fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 14, 2014

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Indy posted:

No one, the rich will live as meatsack overlords of a neo feudal self sufficient economy.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Kyrie eleison posted:

the mind works through neuronal and synaptic density

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

tranime scholar posted:

the mind works through neuronal and synaptic density

hosed up if true

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

robotics engineering is the best and safest job. if your job of designing and programming new and better robots is taken over by a robot then you've got bigger and more interesting problems on your hands than just being out of work.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

naem posted:

What affect will automation have on nations like china who's main resource is cheap hourly labor? What if we don't need them to assemble iPhones?

i imagine there will be a pretty big nuclear war over resources and it will be hell on earth for a very long time afterwards. I just hope it happens after i am rotting on the ground

Trip Larsen
Oct 4, 2006

My great-grandfather started Larsen Pork Products with little more than three pigs and a killing hammer. Today, I'm proud to say, we kill more pigs than pig hepatitis.

NihilismNow posted:

This means you will lose your job a few years before the computer fags. Hang on tight in the gutter though because if you last long enough you will also see their human being asses join you there and it will totally be worth it.
Excellent post/username combo.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Morkyz posted:

hosed up if true

the world is a nightmare

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
while a nuclear war is a possibility for as long as nuclear weaponry is around, it doesn't really work for resource gathering in a global economy, just genocide

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

jobs suck. it's a good thing if they all go away. it means we can concentrate on important things. many people will need re-education to think in terms of spending their lives bettering themselves, seeking pleasure, exploring the universe and expressing themselves without limit, but that's another important thing for people to do instead of jobs.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

when robots take over the only sensible economic approach would be endless vacations for everyone and wanton consumption but of course rich people will turn it into something horrible because humanity is hosed up

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i suspect the only thing robots wont be able to do properly is sex. what im saying is we are all gonna be sexual slaves in the future lol

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

babypolis posted:

i suspect the only thing robots wont be able to do properly is sex. what im saying is we are all gonna be sexual slaves in the future lol

wrong, meatbag

Papa Daedalus
Aug 11, 2014
I wonder how long it will take a million robot chimpanzees to write the collected works of Shakesp...

Ahh poo poo they're done.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

In the future we all get to be pets. I hope my robot owner is nice and doesn't rape me.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i dont get the people that say that human ingenuity will come up with new poo poo to do. like yeah that happened before but what the gently caress are we going to do once we properly model the human brain?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

the correct term is bootybot

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
brainchips

humans will become robots in order to stay competitive

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
a robot cucked me

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
lol maybe all u STEM fuckers shoulda got art and humanities degrees if you didn't wanna be made obsolete by a robot :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 634 days!
Actually you know what, considering one of the best selling books of our age is a loving bondage themed Twilight fanfic, I'm willing to give the robots a solid whack at "the arts."

Can't be any worse, and if it is, well we were gonna be ground up into soylent anyway.

• Locked thread