Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Kyrie eleison posted:

i don't think there is any sort of 'magical hardware' that can solve this problem. nor is 'quantum computing' going to solve it (what a bunch of nonsense that is). the problem is fundamentally a software problem. there are no hardware limits today, that is not the issue, you could easily build an AI on existing hardware if we knew how to program one. it is a limitation of our ability to design and program such a thing.
dude the only thing you've really been saying so far is "we will never be able to program a machine to learn the same way a natural mind learns" but why is that? you haven't explained that part yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Can the robot touch the poop and harass doobie to ruin the fun or do we still need people like OP for that?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Most of the current crop of rich people are baby boomers and after following their antics over the past decade+ I really don't think they're competent enough to pull something like this off. After the 2008 crash they seem to be just focusing more on hoarding enough money to last them the rest of their lives and then buggering off to the safety of walled-in compounds instead of putting any real thought into the future.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Kyries a bad troll cause we know how the mind works, it's just too much information to parse at once. We pretty much NEED a robot brain simulation of the brain to understand it.

Human brain project is predicting 2020 will be when they can accurately simulate all the Neurons in a human brain. Pretty sure they did a rat a couple years ago and are working on a cat.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Also comparing cleverbot to actual AI research is the most ridiculous thing

And aren't we essentially just programmed with certain functions? I draw a house with a square and a roof cause my brain is retarded and lazy. Robot brains will be too

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
we still need to figure out how 'neurons firing' somehow translates into remembering that time you took a huge cock in your rear end. Like, really break down memories and thoughts

the mind is a fascinating thing

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
All those electrodes that the scientists implanted so that monkey could control that arm was just a lucky guess

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Zzulu posted:

we still need to figure out how 'neurons firing' somehow translates into remembering that time you took a huge cock in your rear end. Like, really break down memories and thoughts

the mind is a fascinating thing
a robot that does nothing but is just a box with a simulated brain inside which is experiencing being rear end rammed constantly forever...

someday...

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

a hole-y ghost posted:

a robot that does nothing but is just a box with a simulated brain inside which is experiencing being rear end rammed constantly forever...

someday...

sounds like paradise :twisted:

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Kyries a bad troll cause we know how the mind works, it's just too much information to parse at once. We pretty much NEED a robot brain simulation of the brain to understand it.

Human brain project is predicting 2020 will be when they can accurately simulate all the Neurons in a human brain. Pretty sure they did a rat a couple years ago and are working on a cat.

it sounds like the HBP isn't even attempting to recreate the human mind, but rather determine physical/medical issues with the human brain. anyway since they haven't accomplished anything yet it's a bit early to say we already know how the mind works.

fill us in on some examples then, i know cleverbot was featured in an NPR report as probably the most convincing AI example that exists, asides for ones which mimicked non-verbal emotional responses to pre-programmed stimulai, such as toys for children. ironically machines are better at mimicking people emotionally than they are at mimicking people rationally, in complete reversal of the sci-fi trope

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
things we invented without knowing what exactly we were doing or inventing:

pretty much everything

personally, i think people with children's cartoon avatars have bad opinions about serious topics but hey
you're gay

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
There will be a huge war and computers will be replaced by drug addicted super-humans called "mentats"

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Arian_Samurai posted:

There will be a huge war and computers will be replaced by drug addicted super-humans called "mentats"
thanks for spoiling game of thrones fucker

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

reading this now

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
If we are waiting to get to a point where we can't tell what is a robot brain and what is a human brain from how they act then what's the point? Most people are awful so (if they are indistinguishable from people) it stands to reason that most people-robots will be awful too. Take any person and there can be a robot version of them, libertarian robots, furry robots, new age robots. Forums, twitter, TV, radio, cell phones, poo poo like that already adds a layer of separation from real human contact so who really gives a poo poo if it's a robot on the other end or not? A ton of people already might as well be robots.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

And aren't we essentially just programmed with certain functions? I draw a house with a square and a roof cause my brain is retarded and lazy. Robot brains will be too
cleverbot is essentially a crowd-sourced version of SHRDLU, an attempt to create a natural language understanding program. SHRDLU is still state of the art since it was designed in the 60s, even as computing hardware grew exponentially in power and AI stayed more or less still.

that's why serious AI researchers no longer think in general terms, they work on machines that perform as well as or better than humans in a limited range of very specific tasks using non-representational statistical techniques like machine learning and data mining, and there's no real reason other than conceit to suppose we'll ever create general AI or even "cure cancer" no matter how many pop-sci books aimed at dorks announce the coming

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

KakerMix posted:

If we are waiting to get to a point where we can't tell what is a robot brain and what is a human brain from how they act then what's the point? Most people are awful so (if they are indistinguishable from people) it stands to reason that most people-robots will be awful too. Take any person and there can be a robot version of them, libertarian robots, furry robots, new age robots. Forums, twitter, TV, radio, cell phones, poo poo like that already adds a layer of separation from real human contact so who really gives a poo poo if it's a robot on the other end or not? A ton of people already might as well be robots.

you're saying that there's no epistemological difference between artificial intelligence and the acceptance of badly designed computer software, and i agree

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

here's a pic of a robot doing my job for me today

but its okay because i told it to, also it doesnt get paid and i do

so its more like robots are taking my job because i have enslaved them and forced them to do my bidding, and it gives me a break so i dont have to do all this bs myself

Cursed Lumberjack fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 14, 2014

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

honestly I think that before "general AI" turns up we'll just have people with CPUs added to their brains so that they can do poo poo like read a million emails at once while making human decisions like which cum joke to post on the forums while I'm supposed to be working

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
nobody thinks that, say, a beetle can ever be brought to understand the theory of relativity or the mechanisms of it's own brain. but one can imagine a brain further developed along the evolutionary line which is to us roughly what we are to a beetle, capable of grasping things such the human brain as thoroughly as neuroscientists today are capable of understanding the brains of beetles. so obviously there are things that are necessarily inscrutable by humans so even if all the information about the human brain was available, which it isn't, no human would have the wit to put it all together, just as a beetle is able to grasp simple logical conditionals in terms of its natural behavior without being able to understand logic

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

butplug accident posted:

nobody thinks that, say, a beetle can ever be brought to understand the theory of relativity or the mechanisms of it's own brain. but one can imagine a brain further developed along the evolutionary line which is to us roughly what we are to a beetle, capable of grasping things such the human brain as thoroughly as neuroscientists today are capable of understanding the brains of beetles. so obviously there are things that are necessarily inscrutable by humans so even if all the information about the human brain was available, which it isn't, no human would have the wit to put it all together, just as a beetle is able to grasp simple logical conditionals in terms of its natural behavior without being able to understand logic
well yes but groups of humans are able to assemble things which are difficult/impossible for a single human to fully understand. beetles don't do that.

e: typo

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

a hole-y ghost posted:

well yes but groups are humans are able to assemble things which are difficult/impossible for a single human to fully understand. beetles don't do that.

That's true

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

So when do I get murdered for being useless

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

butplug accident posted:

isn't that kind of the point of models? statistical, mathematical, etc to make sense of and simplify a reality which is too complex for humans to grasp

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

besides, to compare to something more like beetles: take an ant. a single ant does not know how to build an entire colony. it only knows its role. but a colony of ants can build a sprawling colony in the optimal location and systematically construct self-repairing trails to food and prey which learn to avoid predators and hazards.

e: again we come back to "we cannot build an artificial brain because we cannot understand our own minds, which is an undeniable truth because..."

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Corey Plumper posted:

So when do I get murdered for being useless

how about tuesday?

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

a hole-y ghost posted:

well yes but groups of humans are able to assemble things which are difficult/impossible for a single human to fully understand. beetles don't do that.

maybe not but bees and ants seem to be able to do just that

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
That video was really dumb and that guy is one of those nerds that wets himself fantasizing about a technological singularity that's never gonna happen.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

a hole-y ghost posted:

they make big balls of poo poo tho

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
dung for the dung throne lol

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

they make big balls of poo poo tho

cough much like youre posting cough

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

butplug accident posted:

maybe not but bees and ants seem to be able to do just that
well yeah??? I think you were saying the opposite of what I thought. never mind.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Kyrie eleison posted:

this is the common refrain, wright brothers and all that, but imo those are totally different because these are just solving physical/mechanical problems and not philosophical ones which are impossible.

Haha, science is better at science than philosophy, you loon

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

science will never figure it out because philosophers can't!

*scientists figure out elements and chemical reactions between them while philosophers get caught in various esoteric paradoxes and contradictions trying to figure out the same*

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHhD4PD75zY

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I like that artificial brain thing they had some good ideas about how to do it.
Basically the mammal brain is divided into repeating cortical columns, columns of like 1000 neurons. This basic unit is the building block, mammal brains essentially repeat this block as needed.

so these guys started out by running a simulation of one column. It was a bitch but they got it to work. Then they linked a bunch of columns together in a way that matched some part of a rat's brain. When the turned the simulation on, nothing happened. It was essentially brain dead.

They spent a long time figuring out what the hell was going on. The answer was brainwaves. Brains have a periodic signal that crosses the entire brain. Once they began inputting this sweeping signal to their virtual rat, all the columns began "waking up" and after a few minutes they all started working exactly as in a rat. Indistinguishable from a real rat.

They basically put together a dead rat and then Frankensteined it into life. Pretty loving sweet IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i feel pretty confident i can predict the future

theres just no way we're going to be able to invent X between now and infinity

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
We'll all be dead before this poo poo peaks, which is good.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

gannyGrabber posted:

We'll all be dead before this poo poo peaks, which is good.

well of course, killed by robots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay how about a brain implant that replaces long term memory function? It's essentially the hippocampus boiled down to an equation

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosthetic_Neuronal_Memory_Silicon_Chips

It's retarded to claim we don't know how the brain works.

• Locked thread