Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Fandyien posted:

vice is kinda terrible most of the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFZhQ4u2Cbg
vice news is crazy good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
america culturally dominated japan with Disney back in the 50s-60s

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
i trust america's wasteland thugs to be wayy more brutal

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
tell your sister to convert to christianity so we can bang in heaven

e: after you kill her for apostasy

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
ISIS exists regardless of US action. That ISIS exists in Iraq might be a result of US actions.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
ur gay

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Tautologicus posted:

the US is geographically isolated. oceans on both sides. an ally to the north, and a quasi third world country to the south. the same kind of situation isn't possible here. some president or another said our struggles would happen from the inside and that's probably true.

Abe Lincoln posted:

Shall we expect some transatlantic military giant to step the ocean and crush us at a blow? Never! All the armies of Europe, Asia, and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth (our own excepted) in their military chest, with a Bonaparte for a commander, could not by force take a drink from the Ohio or make a track on the Blue Ridge in a trial of a thousand years. At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer. If it ever reach us it must spring up amongst us; it cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live forever, or die by suicide.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Volkerball posted:

Yeah. It's a crime to watch it in the UK, and you can be arrested for it. In the US, I'm sure it's not a whole lot different.

we don't have thought crimes here dog. I can watch beheadings all day at the public library if I want to.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Volkerball posted:

Feel pretty confident how up to date you are on terrorism legislation? It changes a lot, really arbitrarily.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/aug/20/police-warn-james-foley-video-crime-social-media

lol no we don't have laws against watching internet vids here in america

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
mohammed was the meccan Joseph Smith except Joseph Smith was born in a nice place to live aka america.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
i want ISIS to burn the gulf states down and behead their kings

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

etalian posted:

All the gulf states are on the ISIS dream map.

what i mean to say is that I hope ISIS wins

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
its a last ditch effort to get on allah's good side

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
i am all over the upper brass talking point about how this isn't a war of choice

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
if you are looking for some Western powers to blame this whole thing on France and the UK are gonna be a much safer bet.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
aren't you a far left radical?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
the dems knew for sure

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
The dems could have known but they didn't care. There were certainly dems on the intelligence committees.

e: things run smoother politically if nobody can summon the courage to ask difficult questions.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

THS posted:

everyone in congress who voted for the war should be put on trial for warcrimes

weird how there were plenty of people who realized the war posturing was bullshit because of a history of insane and offensively stupid american war posturing

see also; The Islamic State as a threat to the continental US.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
republicans vote for war like this: "hur dur hur dur"

but democrats vote for war like this: "doot deet doot deet"

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Jst0rm posted:

Do you think that we would of been better off with Saddam in power? In that power vacuum that was created from that war that had significant republican support and about 1/3rd democrat support a thing is festering. What should be done about that thing?

Abandon Israel and the Gulf. Cut all military aid to kings and juntas worldwide.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Jst0rm posted:

If my questions are getting too uncomfortable we can leave it there. I am actually interested in what you think as I assume you are right of center and I dont normally interact with people who are right of center.

if you are a democrat then you are already right of center dude.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Jst0rm posted:

I shouldnt mix everyone up. Some people seemed very critical of the democrats as if they shared equal responsibility for going to war. I think that is factually false and was interested in getting into the thought process that gets people to think that way.

Dems held the Senate in 2003 and Dem votes caused the war.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
the majority of Dems in the senate voted yes

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
But he makes us feel good!

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Jst0rm posted:

I guess we just arent going to agree on this point. It will take historians in 300 years to find the real truth. I think we all have lived it too close to really come to any conclusions on it.

historians 300 years into the future will agree that there was almost no difference between the two parties and that the 2003 Iraq War was a totally unsurprising product of the military industrial complex and oil interests.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

THS posted:

now i can get gay married tho

every time a lib tells me that gay rights is the modern day civil rights movement I smile politely and say "maybe so" but in my head I'm thinking about how hosed we all are.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
im a time traveler from the past, are goons still getting salty over critiques of Arab military culture?

e:

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

culture exists but it has no bearing whatsoever on a person or group's actions so if you try to determine motivation or causation from your understanding of their culture you're a massive racist

hahaha yep

Miltank fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Religion is specifically a tool in the middle east because it is the only form of social organization with any sort of legitimacy after the collapse of pan-arab nationalism in the aftermath of the 1967 war. Additionally, Islamism is as of yet, the only that has ideology that has proven capable of successfully overthrowing a western backed government in the region.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 12, 2014

• Locked thread