Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Don't tell people about Athena until you know how they will react. Give a version of events that doesn't involve AI, but a very ancient, powerful ship instead

Athena puts us solidly into heretek territory and is likely to get us shot by several people that have been listed. Let's go slow and introduce our inner circle to the idea a little bit at a time, seeing how they react as we dip our toe in the water. Emphasize this being Mechanicus' turf and you knowing what's best. DON'T MENTION SHE HAS AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

ElrondHubbard posted:

Don't tell people about Athena until you know how they will react. Give a version of events that doesn't involve AI, but a very ancient, powerful ship instead

Athena puts us solidly into heretek territory and is likely to get us shot by several people that have been listed. Let's go slow and introduce our inner circle to the idea a little bit at a time, seeing how they react as we dip our toe in the water. Emphasize this being Mechanicus' turf and you knowing what's best. DON'T MENTION SHE HAS AI.

I figure we would just tell them that we were going to tell Mars ASAP, but could not entrust the message to astropathic communication due to the extreme sensitivity. Certainly nothing about swearing allegiance or anything to Athena.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Well, you are going to Sol anyway and had a bunch of pilgrims. So thats not new news to them.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

LowellDND posted:

Fabiyan x x x x x, x x
Limosa x x x x x, x x
Edourd x x x x x, x x
Dwarf x x x x x, x x
Mom x x x x x, x
Winterswijk x x x x x,
Jeb x x x x x,
Devries x x x x
Caroline x x x
Iron Hands x x x
Tribes x
Krieger Gerald xxxx
Astri x
Issac x
Kill Devries x

Fixed that for you

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

sniper4625 posted:

I figure we would just tell them that we were going to tell Mars ASAP, but could not entrust the message to astropathic communication due to the extreme sensitivity. Certainly nothing about swearing allegiance or anything to Athena.

That makes it sound like we're not going to slowly convince and corrupt them the entire trip. We're going to Mars to get our ship fixed and deal with Mechanicus stuff. Also Titan to deal with...stuff.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Yeah when I'm voting for telling them about Athena I don't mean in an introducing your new girlfriend to the family sense, but more telling these guys that there is a thing that could wipe out the Imperium if it falls into the hands of Chaos. And that Chaos knows where it is.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

I'm just trying to make sure people aren't resorting to full disclosure about what Athena is or our relationship to her.

Ancient starship with archeotech weaponry and defensive systems is pretty safe, but will likely attract the entire Imperium's attention and turn this into a jurisdictional mess.

Perhaps we should consider a more low key suggestion that there's some kind of weapon on Golgotha that the Ruinous Powers want and we need to stop them.

Get in touch with Athena and ask her what she wants us to do. Can she handle things or does she need backup? Is she getting too old for this poo poo?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

+Gerald the Krieger. Give him permission to talk.

Don't tell anyone about Athena. Seriously.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

ElrondHubbard posted:

I'm just trying to make sure people aren't resorting to full disclosure about what Athena is or our relationship to her.

Ancient starship with archeotech weaponry and defensive systems is pretty safe, but will likely attract the entire Imperium's attention and turn this into a jurisdictional mess.

Perhaps we should consider a more low key suggestion that there's some kind of weapon on Golgotha that the Ruinous Powers want and we need to stop them.

Get in touch with Athena and ask her what she wants us to do. Can she handle things or does she need backup? Is she getting too old for this poo poo?

If there's any chance that Chaos knows about Athena, we're going to need the attention of the entire Imperium. "Things Chaos Wants" area a dime a dozen, and will not get us the kind of resources we're going to need.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Please don't get us murdered by talking about our love for heretek to space marines, tia.

Hey Lowell, how damaged is the power armor? Is it out of operation for a while, or are arms fairly easy to reattach?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Go RV! posted:

Please don't get us murdered by talking about our love for heretek to space marines, tia.

Hey Lowell, how damaged is the power armor? Is it out of operation for a while, or are arms fairly easy to reattach?

Well that's why I'm saying we wouldn't talk about our love for Athena, just her presence, and the fact that we were totally going to inform the relevant authorities. I agree that maybe the Iron Hands don't need to be in this meeting though.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

Well that's why I'm saying we wouldn't talk about our love for Athena, just her presence, and the fact that we were totally going to inform the relevant authorities. I agree that maybe the Iron Hands don't need to be in this meeting though.

Could we claim we did inform the Magos? So it looks like we did, in fact, warn the lead Mechanicus person we could access?

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

SerSpook posted:

Could we claim we did inform the Magos? So it looks like we did, in fact, warn the lead Mechanicus person we could access?

Great idea.

If only we could also find a way to blame Devries and Stinky, that useless schmuck.

sniper4625 posted:

Chaos may not be waging the 14th Black Crusade and may just be sending a fleet or something to lay claim. Athena has been building up a weapons factory that may be able to withstand such an attack. Sending in Imperial forces may result in them attacking her as well.

Athena has that magical future prediction device and may have a good idea of what's coming. Let's get a second opinion before committing to a course of action.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I wonder if anyone in HQ is going to seriously believe that Ohone meekly turned over knowledge of Athena to the Magos and then scurried away without trying to find an angle of her own.

For that matter, do we intend to say that Athena was awake when we got there or something?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Plan HiHo ChiRho

You don't understand how much I need a Krieger with a top hat and monocle telling stilted, terrible jokes to a Planetary Governor. The mere fact of one talking to someone is funny, let alone not knowing why he's telling the joke, just that it's part of his job.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I inherently do not trust anyone or anything which purports to predict the future - see how well that works out for the Eldar.

I'd rather have Athena destroyed by the Imperium's hand than Athena shackled to the Ruinous Powers, whatever the odds of the latter situation may be. The former situation continues the unfortunate stagnation of the status quo, the latter is a Game Over for humanity as we know it.

Also Go Plan Gerald

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Purge the chaos stuff, keep the rest.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Since we have the Magos' memories, do we know if she actually told anyone else about Athena?
Also we should call the Assassinorum and ask if they want Stinky, perhaps get a good deal on an assassin.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

ElrondHubbard posted:

+1 for this

"Ancient, Powerful Ship" is the relevant parts. There could totally be an ancient, powerful Mechanus who's deeply wired into the ship, right? So, she's not AI. She's just an older, very important person from our order.

E: Also, Kill Devries. Keeping him around is like keeping a piece of Kryptonite around. Sure, it might be secure in it's box. But if anyone opens the box, we're totally screwed.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
No one else curious about Amacita?

Arguably we don't want to make any moves one way or another regarding Athena until we secure the Pillar, which means finding Amacita, which means finding something that is unfindable by design.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Perhaps Amacita was part of the brain tank? We should definitely look for her.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Tell Devries

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Did Fabiyan's healing also put our arm back? If not, we should probably look into getting a new one, and repair the armor.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Holy crap we did arc 4 in 21 days. And yeah, the armor can be repaired and you can be reattached.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

LowellDND posted:

Holy crap we did arc 4 in 21 days. And yeah, the armor can be repaired and you can be reattached.

Cuz we bad, son. :dukedog:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Eduardo is certainly an honored guest and a useful asset. But not inner circle material. Full inquisitors make loisy minions.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Waci posted:

Fabiyan, Limosa, Edourd, Dwarf, Devries, Mom, Winterswijk, Jeb.

These people work. Give Edourd everything he wants to know on Kozilek in exchange for his partnership. The time for subtlety is long past. Have Limosa send the most important message of the last ten thousand years, sending word of the Olympus and likely Dark Mechanicus awareness to Terra and Mars.

As for the data we save the human psyker research above all else, it is instrumental to our efforts to restore the Emperor.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Tran posted:

These people work. Give Edourd everything he wants to know on Kozilek in exchange for his partnership. The time for subtlety is long past. Have Limosa send the most important message of the last ten thousand years, sending word of the Olympus and likely Dark Mechanicus awareness to Terra and Mars.

As for the data we save the human psyker research above all else, it is instrumental to our efforts to restore the Emperor.

I'm good with this.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

sniper4625 posted:

Fabiyan, Edourd, Limosa, Mom, Caroline & The Dwarf

And Amacita. She was right. We have to apologize, plus she's drat good with the Dregs, and we need PR right now (though having a saint for a husband is helpful, I suspect).

E: Forgot about Jeb. We still owe him a new set of lungs, don't we?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

mepstein73 posted:

And Amacita. She was right. We have to apologize, plus she's drat good with the Dregs, and we need PR right now (though having a saint for a husband is helpful, I suspect).

E: Forgot about Jeb. We still owe him a new set of lungs, don't we?

One bleeding heart family member with a history of questionable decisions is far far far outweighed by a Living Saint who has performed verified and tangible miracles.

We shall bind the ship together in Holy Fervor, every Man, Woman, and Child.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Eddy really did a great job and he helped us out with the Devries fiasco way back when. We should get him something nice. Maybe we should grab him a Psyber Eagle.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I just noticed that the OP still has us in the overall prologue.

Lowell you magnificent son of a bitch. :allears:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

sniper4625 posted:

I just noticed that the OP still has us in the overall prologue.

Lowell you magnificent son of a bitch. :allears:

:D I'm really good at what I do :D. Now you have juussst about enough resources to explore the story I want to tell :D

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

LowellDND posted:

:D I'm really good at what I do :D. Now you have juussst about enough resources to explore the story I want to tell :D

We have a busted up ship and a skeleton crew remaining. Are we going to explore the spooky ship trying to solve mysteries like a 40k version of Scooby Doo?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
If the mystery is "Can it be more killy" then yes.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Tran posted:

If the mystery is "Can it be more killy" then yes.

I'm having some fun flashbacks to the old Ork CYOA

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Triage

With the end of hostilities, the survivors could look at the Ship and see what needed to get done. Counting the living, sorting the dead. A hundred servo-skulls began sweeping through the decks, mapping the new world that had been created. The thousands of wounded were put through what triage could be done. Others were given the God-Emperor’s Mercy.

Tens of thousands of weapons - scourge boltguns, shotguns, chainswords, flamers, meltaguns, lasguns, heavy bolters - were slowly, laboriously carried back to the barracks warehouses. Tens of thousands of grenades, millions of rounds of ammo, thousands of uniforms in whole and in part. Gorgon troops carriers were carved open, welded into a bridge between the front and back of the Beast. The few Krieg that survived sealed the bridge, and soon repairs could begin in earnest.

Tens of thousands of xenos were thrown into the recyclers, aside from a few dozen kept for study. Voidborn were a practical bunch, and after the holy purifiers got to them, the protein of their flesh would be as good as any other. So, too, did the hundreds of thousands of human bodies and component parts. Little of it was good for organ transplants, the skill wasn’t available for it, and whoever needed an organ was probably dead already.

Walls were put up, walls were knocked down. There was no real Between, anymore, not in the old meaning of the term. There was just the area that has been somewhat repaired, and the areas that had been temporarily closed off. The Tech-Priests, woken out of their pods, had approached their work with an eagerness that approached fear. Vital systems were checked and checked again - air support, engines, geller fields. Slowly, the ‘main’ corridor was repressurized.

Saint Fabiyan was as to a god to them. He walked the corridors, organizing the vast efforts that was putting a hundred thousand people to the repairs of a ship brutalized to the point of extinction. They obeyed him; they worshipped him. In whispers and in stories, the Gospel of Saint Fabiyan was being written - in text and in picture, his catechism was being born.

What do you do?

More precisely, is there any particular renovations, inventoring, or whatever that you want to do before you go into Warp? I'm planning the HQ meeting parallel to this.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

One bleeding heart family member with a history of questionable decisions is far far far outweighed by a Living Saint who has performed verified and tangible miracles.

We shall bind the ship together in Holy Fervor, every Man, Woman, and Child.

Saint Fabiyan plunged into the xeno nest, holding off four waves of xeno mindworms, saving the entire ship. People don't need to know how he really died, chumped by a trap he should have seen coming, or how he was resurrected with xeno sorcery. The real story would just hurt sales, and dampen the spirits of our customers.

Magos Ohone, mythology for profit.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

sullat posted:

Saint Fabiyan plunged into the xeno nest, holding off four waves of xeno mindworms, saving the entire ship. People don't need to know how he really died, chumped by a trap he should have seen coming, or how he was resurrected with xeno sorcery. The real story would just hurt sales, and dampen the spirits of our customers.

Magos Ohone, mythology for profit.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Mass Transit, choo choo train up every holes.