Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
There are only Knockoff MadKatz controllers left with an IOU from Devry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Plan Waci. Make with the yoinking.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Science has gone too far is too cliche`, let's not wake the C'tan.

Claim the guardian's memories for our own, then return to share them with the Fabricator General. Mars will regain some of her lost glory.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Tran posted:

Science has gone too far is too cliche`, let's not wake the C'tan.

Claim the guardian's memories for our own, then return to share them with the Fabricator General. Mars will regain some of her lost glory.

Bit too late considering we just killed the robot stopping it from waking up

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
The robot was stopping others from going down to investigate. There was no indication it had any direct interaction with its charge.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Slice of Life: Brother Bricellus, Black Priest of Fabiyan

Goosebumps.

They arose all over his flesh as he stood there at one of the Beast's starboard viewports, up in the Family section of the gargantuan vessel. As large as it was though, out there hanging silent in the black were ancient ships that dwarfed it by several orders of magnitude, and there were so many of them. He felt another wave of that tingling sensation spread outwards over every inch of his body as he made the sign of the Aquila over his breast. It was grand and overwhelming enough to be within spitting distance of Holy Terra, to be orbiting Mars itself. Such sights were something that only a tiny fraction of the almost limitless numbers of humanity would ever see.

But this, to see the entirety of Battlefleet Solar drifting in its millions before him, to witness the veil of Realspace torn asunder as wave after wave of Imperial colossi disappeared into the pinkish, whirling rifts generated by their warp drives as they departed for Golgotha, the crucible within which the fate of the galaxy would be decided. He was awestruck and silent as he had been only one other time in his life, and even meeting Saint Fabiyan Himself paled in comparison to what Bricellus was seeing at this moment.

Truly, he knew that great and terrible things were on the horizon, and that every soul aboard the Beast would soon bear witness to war the likes of which come but once an aeon.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Make the Dragon our hood ornament.

After parading it back to our shuttle.

Let's see what it was guarding.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Plan Waci

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Plan Tran

supported by the committee for not walking into obvious traps

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Plan total honesty and bitching hood ornament and peek at the treasure horde.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

What Rogue Trader would we be if we didn't lie, scheme and steal everything valuable before anyone notices?

I was actually thinking about the Inquisitorial influences at work, too. 7 years on titan.

I mean, can mars REALLY be trusted with this kind of tech-heresy when they're about to get an STC?

Arkanomen posted:

Waci

No way the Fab Gen is going to believe we got away and first to the gold gets it.

Thats pretty much the entire point of my post. Making an excuse to keep everyone away while we go for the gold.

The fabricator general doesn't have a choice to believe it or not; he can't do anything either way whether its true or not since he's got no forces that can deal with the dragon besides Ohone.

Also, daot titan not dying like everything else is actually plausable.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 5, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hexenritter posted:

Plan Waci. Make with the yoinking.

Plan Waci + Plan hood ornament for the Beast. We're a rogue trader, it would be suspicious if we didn't do all this.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Athena should wipe the dagron's hard drive and then we have a pet dargin

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
It's not stealing it's repurposing junk. Mount it on the ship.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Day 5
Current: 5789
Total Goal: 8333

Stuffed and mounted

The question people always forget is, ‘What do you do with it once you catch it?’

Sure, you can go down to one of the oldest planets in the Imperium, and kill a creature that is probably twice as old as said Imperium. And you can have a few neat ideas about putting it on the front of your ship (itself several kilometers long). But really - how do you get from one place to the other? And what do you do with the ancient and forbidden vault that you just acquired access to?

There’s an old saying. There are old Tech-Priests, and bold Tech-Priests, but no old bold Tech-Priests.

And what a young Tech-Priest and an old Tech-Priest considers ‘bold’ are two wildly different things.

Take an old Magi. Several centuries old, has seen all the ways tech can go bad. Probably lost a few dozen staffers, acolytes, heirs and apprentices. Maybe a world or two. Found a tomb of Iron Men and only just got away, escaped capture from the hands of the Dark Mechanicus. Its as much luck as skill, and by the time you realize how cautious you should actually be, you’ve statistically died a few times.

A young Tech-Priest will see the strictures of the Magi is foolishness, ancient superstition and paranoia. All Magi are like that, near enough, and it’s the rare young Tech-Priest who would consider the selection process by which that occurs. Becoming a Magi requires a … certain personality, let’s say. Of course, you were made a Magi at a tenth of the normal age it happens, because of your find of an STC.

A lot comes down to luck, in the end.

So it wasn’t really a matter of supreme caution when you explored the vault. Oh, you did the normal things - auspex and sensor suites, sending forward servo-skulls, checking local security systems (no communication possible). But that was a matter of minutes, while an old Magi would spend years just looking at the archway.

On the other hand, people say that fortune favors the bold. Mostly young people.

The contents of the vault… defied description. Vast enough that your Titan could walk through it unhindered, and was not able to measure its depths. And the tech itself - unexplainable. Figuring out what an object was just from the Great Crusade, whether it was trash or a music box or a planet buster - that took decades of guessing and research. A vault full of items from the Dark Age of Technology? Nothing here even made sense, or gave any hint of what purpose it could hold.

You recorded everything, of course. Perhaps Athena could identify one thing or another. You weren’t clear on what the partitioned Machine was that had been placed down here, or if it was before or after her time. Perhaps this was a room full of junk to her, or perhaps it was as mysterious to her as to you. It was difficult to say, and she had been unpleasantly silent ever since you landed on Mars.

And it wouldn’t be greedy to take a few (titan) handfuls of things. You didn’t know what they did, or if they served any purpose you had. But loot when the looting is possible. That was the Rogue Trader in you coming out, and that mentality had served you and your Dynasty well for millennia. Briefly, you considered teaching Ching Shih it. Just for neatness’ sake.

Still, time was passing, and the question remained. What do you do with a thousand meter dead dragon?

Well. It turns out a lot of creatures down here understood binary. And either by rote or by sentience, they understood what it meant when a seventy five meter titan told them what to do.

Within a few hours, you had thousands of ancient servitors and half mechanical wildlife pulling your dragon to the surface.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Can we give him a new name? Can we call him Puff?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Hahaha oh wow. How much tech heresy did we commit lashing all that oldtech to our will? Not that anyone cares.

Do we want just the head for the prow and leave the body to Mars to study? Taking more than that just seems greedy.

Puff.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Outrail posted:

Hahaha oh wow. How much tech heresy did we commit lashing all that oldtech to our will? Not that anyone cares.

Do we want just the head for the prow and leave the body to Mars to study? Taking more than that just seems greedy.

Puff.

Thats really up to you, its a long walk :v:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Outrail posted:

Puff.

We just pulled off the sort of thing that will have Magi across the Segmentum making GBS threads cogs for years just thinking about part of it.

Piff

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

Outrail posted:

Puff.

gently caress that, its ours. If they want a dragon tell them to kill their own.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

gently caress that, its ours. If they want a dragon tell them to kill their own.

This. If they'd like to study it they're more than welcome to second a research team to our retinue but we are departing shortly for Holy Terra and from there, Golgotha.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I bet a lot of that dragon was empty. Don't forget to stuff it with loot as well.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Arkanomen posted:

I bet a lot of that dragon was empty. Don't forget to stuff it with loot as well.

The Profit Factor is strong with this one.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Arkanomen posted:

I figured that's where you were hiding the titan handfuls of DAoT loot :v:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Lowell, I believe we found an ancient .wav file containing what is obviously an early Rogue Trader Hymn in the Vault. Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVv4IdGtcNw

Leaving the vault on a servitor dais chilling giving the Fab Gen one of these: :whatup: and being all like 'You thought this would be a challenge?' :cmon:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Arkanomen posted:

Are you saying we should turn it into a servitor titan and stuff it with more servitors? Because I'll +1 that.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

K, Im getting a few messages.

A. Keep only the head, mount it.
B. Keep the whole thing, make it a servitor titan.
C. Something Else

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Outrail posted:

Are you saying we should turn it into a servitor titan and stuff it with more servitors? Because I'll +1 that.

Servitron, combine and roll out.

edit: ^^^^ drat it, so torn. Gigantic robodragon servitor of doom has so much potential and would be even blingier than a prow-mounted head. I propose we make a duplicate of the head for trophy purposes and make the servitor.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hexenritter posted:

edit: ^^^^ drat it, so torn. Gigantic robodragon servitor of doom has so much potential and would be even blingier than a prow-mounted head. I propose we make a duplicate of the head for trophy purposes and make the servitor.

I like the sound of this

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

LowellDND posted:

K, Im getting a few messages.

A. Keep only the head, mount it.
B. Keep the whole thing, make it a servitor titan.
C. Something Else

C. Make a complete replica of the head including the Dark Age tech in it. Then mount it. Keep it the rest intact and make it a servitor/galactic herald.

edit: Hexenritter, you're all right.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

C. Make a complete replica of the head including the Dark Age tech in it. Then mount it. Keep it the rest intact and make it a servitor/galactic herald.
Also tell everyone that the head on the prow is authentic, so that we can surprise the gently caress out of somebody when we reveal the servitor dragon titan

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
B

dragons Dragons DRAGONS!!!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

JT Jag posted:

Also tell everyone that the head on the prow is authentic, so that we can surprise the gently caress out of somebody when we reveal the servitor dragon titan

Yes. Yes. YES

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
If we have some time, maybe we can build a "Titan Holster/ Transport" device. Proceed to install as many grav lifts and cargo compartments and steal everything we can fit.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
B.

We should also get some DAoT and/or eldar anti-grav stuff to install on Puff.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Hexenritter posted:

There we go. Compromise.

If we get such a thing up and running we have to have it attack and hump an an enemy flagship like a demented dog while it dumps it's load of servitors into the breach.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LowellDND posted:

There’s an old saying. There are old Tech-Priests, and bold Tech-Priests, but no old bold Tech-Priests.

Come on, you're a good writer, you don't need to crib from other people's work.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Volmarias posted:

This is literally fan fiction :v:

Day 5
Current: 6446
Total Goal: 8333

Tartarus

They call it Cerberus Hive. More precisely, the Cerberus-class of Hives, the bulkwark set against inner Mars. If something was too dangerous to keep, or wanted to be forgotten (or, in some cases, was just abandoned for one reason or another), it ended up in inner Mars. The deep core where all things went to rest, at the end of things.

It’s an endless wasteland, and incredibly dangerous even to the Magi. Oh, there are always those who go where Primarchs fear to tread. But with a survival rate below one in a thousand, it’s for the brave and foolhardy. Being somewhat practical, Mars built a wall of Hives, wrapped around the core of the planet. And it is those Hives that defend against (or more usually, shoo back in) whatever things come out.

The most dangerous area, of course, are the Vaults of Moravec. Tech-Priests only come back from there if Moravec decides to remind Mars he is still there, with a warning and a messenger. Otherwise, death is certain. One of the Cerberus Hives is camped right outside the Vaults, relatively speaking, and it is the deep-felt dread of the Magi that Moravec may decide to make the Hive a warning as well.

So it was with a certain amount of trepidation that they received reports of Moravec and an army of monsters advancing on them.

Cerberus went to war-mode, of course - what else could they do? Void shields activated, spitting and hissing after decades of disuse. Titans spooled up their great guns, millions of Skitarii were awakened and began pouring out of their storage units, as endless as the sand on the beach. Thousands of fusion bombs and fusion lances went to final alert, aiming down the chambers that set apart the city and its vault.

Perhaps, hopefully, Moravec just wanted to talk?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Volmarias posted:

It's not cribbing, it's just a saying that survived through the ages :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Ride that thing in like a drunk freshman on a mechanical bull.