Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
These slice of life updates are rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

E Engage GrassyKnoll.exe

One of the great parts about being a tech preist is that you speak the language of physics. It would be a trivial matter to calculate the trajectory of the bullet using the position of the guardsmen, distance between you and him as well as time between you hearing the bullet and sound of impact. We can also determine the speed of the bullet from acoustic readings. It was a bullet so our sensors could scan for the slug and that, combined with everything else, should tell us direction, elevation, rifle type, ammo and probable position. (Final velocity vs muzzle velocity as well as drop etc.)

Once we know position we can send out three servo skulls to find them, incase the sniper gets cagey and tries to take them out. Two along the edges of the bullet path and one above at higher altitude. Meanwhile we perform a search of all local IG units that have the aforementioned munitions. Physicaly we don't react much, but we should get to a safe position. We should be careful that our friend Paxie isn't trying something batshit to flush us out. So when we make inquires me must be careful not to tip our hand.

yup

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Wentley posted:

These slice of life updates are rad.

Ive got about 30 pages of notes from early plot lines that we didn't follow up on. What if you joined the church, what if you joined the explorers.

Since it seems unlikely we'll do them, I figure we should give them their time in the sun :D

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am changing my vote to E Engage GrassyKnoll.exe

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

A
B
C x x x
D
E x x x x x

This mustn’t register on an emotional level

Clarity. The threat had pushed your mind into overdrive, a crystal perfection you had last felt pursuing Cyclonic Torpedoes in Between. Here, mathematics spread across your vision like silky spiderwebs, the language of the universe. Your servo-skulls could have replayed the image for you, but you didn’t need them - the dull thump of the impact, the blossom of crimson was etched in your sight.

A simple matter of trigonometry. The soldier - the body - was hit at a very low angle, and your servo skulls were already in the air, following your vision. A second story building perhaps. Your fingers were already reaching into the chest, digging out the slug. Faint startlement. Titanium round, 12.7 millimeters. Guiding fins. A stupendously expensive device.

Astonishment. The round held a Machine-Spirit. A small one, mistreated. When properly maintained, it could have guided the perfect shot, adjusting for temperature, gravity, air pressure, humidity. This round had cost more than a company of troops and all their equipment, and it had still missed you because the Machine-Spirit had not been tended to.

The weight and type alone of the round would have given you perfect information of the launching point, given your knowledge of the sound of initiation - but your mind connecting with the Machine-Spirit gave you knowledge comparable to the Omnissiah. A second story building, eight hundred and thirty meters from here. The shooter was rushed in some way.

Your skulls had reached the area almost as soon as your mind had. Their vision fed into yours - below you, you could see a man holding up a rifle, surrounded by his peers. They appeared to be fighting, or celebrating. Nallani troops. Around them, a crowd of children, noncombatants, hangers on. Perhaps the temporary families and servants of the soldiers.

You decided to
A. Send the skulls in to attack. Teeth and shotgun rounds will serve an object lesson.
B. Use the vox speakers to demand their submission.
C. Observe while sending up your own soldiers
D. Head over yourself.
E. Something Else

Loel fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 6, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LowellDND posted:

You decided to

How far away are our soldiers?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Volmarias posted:

How far away are our soldiers?

~850 meters. (from the shooter location. ~30m from you)

Slice of Life III

The Tribes of the Batteries are a separate group from all others on the ship. They don’t participate in the Cathedral, or many of the rituals, ceremonies, and holidays one would find in the Deeps. Some of the holidays (relating to Ching Shih or the Omnissiah) have their time, but the way in which they are enacted are wildly different. In the same way, the Tribes have holidays of their own, such as the Rites of Cleansing and the Test of Strength.

One ceremony reinforces the values of the Tribes, and it is the Trial of Adulthood. Tribal warriors must have a familiarity with Between, being always pressured as they are by the Dregs and Explorers. Tribal people must have a cunning, a craftiness. They must be stealthy. And above all, they must be observant. Even before other humans, the Ship itself is a dangerous place, and the constant need for supplies means going ever deeper into Between.

Adulthood happens in a place called The Hunting Grounds.

They must travel to a place kilometers away, a full day’s journey through radiation, gravity eddies, sparking gas jets, toxic air. There is a signpost there, written in a language that no one in the Tribes speaks. They must travel under that signpost, and enter the Hunting Grounds.

It is a strange place, full of the noises of hulking predators. In many ways, it is one of the most dangerous places on the ship - the largest animals live there, and even the food animals are aggressively territorial. To pass through them, one must be cunning, stealthy, observant. The goal is to get to the other side, and describe what they see there. No child is ever told - they must see it for themselves.

It is a massive statue, made of strange metal that never fades. It is a man with a large rifle, standing between a dozen huge creatures, ones that look half like the ones in the Hunting Grounds.

At the base of the statue, written in a language no one in the Tribes speaks, is written:

Lord Sire V’domier, Founder of the Traal Zoo

Loel fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 6, 2015

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
B. But it they don't surrender immediately then kill them all.

The flaming lip
Oct 1, 2005
Likes shitty music

LowellDND posted:

~850 meters. (from the shooter location. ~30m from you)

Slice of Life III

At the base of the statue, written in a language no one in the Tribes speaks, is written:

Lord Sire V’domier, Founder of the Traal Zoo

God you're good

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Well, for long term planning, for last ditch defense against this sort of thing, you want a power field of some kind. You know who has a lot? The Ecclesiasticarchy. We should look into getting on some kind of ecumenical council so we can get issued a Rosarius.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

The flaming lip posted:

God you're good

Thank you :D Here have another

Slice of Life IV

Not every aspect of the Space Hulk was cleansed when it came back into service. Oh, the Architect tried, but there was just too much. Too many ships slapped together, too many rooms, too many branching hallways and darkness. The core components, about fifty percent of the Hulk, got the lights on, and it was called good.

In the millennia since, it’s been a constant effort of exploration, additions, modifications, and decay. A Lord-Sire wants more cannons, or more engines, or more space, and new cruisers are slapped onto the hull. Theres a riot, or a revolution, or battle damage, and parts of the Hulk break off or are rearranged beyond recognition. One might pass through Imperial corridors, an Eldar hallway, and then some xeno race that no longer exists.

Whether by nature or by design, there is one small ship that has never been cleared. Perhaps it got added to the Hulk in the early days, or perhaps a Magos went a little bit crazier than usual. Regardless, one particular area of the Hulk is considered to be haunted, with strange grunts, screams, and howls echoing through the corridors. One can never find out where its coming from - it simply feels always behind you.

For whatever reason, that ship is inaccessible. The corridors to it are blocked off by debris and blast doors, pillars of flame, arcing electricity. Behind those barriers, though, if anyone ever was able to look - they would see lichen everywhere, and little animals, and hopping garden tenders. They would see small fungal creatures, wearing the regalia of blue skulls.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
C

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Slice of Life V

If you are a Pilgrim coming about the Beast, you are going to see the Shallows. It’s half tourist trap and half shrine, and you’ll be comfortable with the teeming tens of thousands of fellow worshippers. The Beast travels the pilgrimage route with relaxing predictability, and you are guarenteed to make it to your destination and not a hive world full of hungry xenos at least most of the time.

If you spend any time on the Beast, though, you are going to end up in the Deeps. People who travel the space lanes with any regularity (and aren’t nobility) will find the swarms of void born familiar. Its the most alive place on the ship, packed with people, and you can find almost anything your heart (or other parts) might desire down there.

If you aren’t a Pilgrim, though, and aren’t a noble or regular traveller…

If you are a mutant?

Where would you go?

Its not an open secret, in the Deeps - but it is known. The Dregs aren’t open minded about mutants, this is the Imperium, but they are practical. And, maybe a little bit, kind hearted. Mutants did used to be their family after all. So instead of lighting them on fire, or spacing them, mutants are mostly .. exiled. Not to Between, the place of legends and fear.

Mutants get to go Deeper.

Behind the walls and under the floors of the Deep, there is a small colony of mutants making their life. It couldn’t be said to be thriving, really - Limosa brought in the Greycloaks a year ago and immolated more than half - but they exist down there. Some of the Dregs leave out food, or small tools. And sometimes, you might need help when you can’t get it anywhere else.

And sometimes a mutant will help you.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

No mercy! A

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

yeah

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Haha, yes! We have hit 100,000 words today!

If you've read this far, you have read a medium sized novel of Ohone's exploits :D

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I still have some trouble wrapping my head around the size of the vessel, that there could be so much space that is unexplored is just mind boggling.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Oasx posted:

I still have some trouble wrapping my head around the size of the vessel, that there could be so much space that is unexplored is just mind boggling.

My notes say about 30% of it is unexplored, even by the Tribes or Explorer's Guild.

I left myself a lot of space :D

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Oasx posted:

The Beast is a Space Hulk, the result of one ship smashing into another ship and basically staying that way (repeat several times). There aren't a ton of those things that are actually operating, most of them are just floating debris in the warp.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Slice of Life VI

Sometimes things are forgotten. On a ship the Beast’s size, there are always things being misplaced. They might be stolen, or debris may fall, or the one person who knew the secret might die before they can tell someone. Sometimes the ship might change, and a part that was once vibrant and full of life becomes quiet. Sometimes the lights go out.

Sometimes things are erased.

There is a corridor that hasn’t been walked in five thousand years.

There is no dust. There wouldn’t be, with no humans to tread those silent floors. Even if there were - humanoid machines with strange eyes maintain the place to its museum perfection. Robots made in human form. Ancient tech heresy, obeying dictates from a world that became ash two millennia ago.

There are cryonic pods in this corridor.

Several of them are dormant, the figures inside mummified and gone. Machines blink and twitter, maintaining their tasks. Flickering lights of green and blue, displaying information in languages older than High Gothic. The pods are some of the oldest parts of the ship, and a very small group of people have looked for them for a very, very long time.

Five of them still function.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

LowellDND posted:

Thank you :D Here have another

Slice of Life IV

For whatever reason, that ship is inaccessible. The corridors to it are blocked off by debris and blast doors, pillars of flame, arcing electricity. Behind those barriers, though, if anyone ever was able to look - they would see lichen everywhere, and little animals, and hopping garden tenders. They would see small fungal creatures, wearing the regalia of blue skulls.

Well, that's ominous!

LowellDND posted:

Slice of Life V

Behind the walls and under the floors of the Deep, there is a small colony of mutants making their life. It couldn’t be said to be thriving, really - Limosa brought in the Greycloaks a year ago and immolated more than half - but they exist down there. Some of the Dregs leave out food, or small tools. And sometimes, you might need help when you can’t get it anywhere else.

And sometimes a mutant will help you.

And this is incredibly adorable!

Also, B. Give them a moment to surrender. We need answers more than anything.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

B Giving the impression on omniscience is always a good idea. Get the troops moving during the broadcast, however.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Can we taze or incapacitate the shooter?

If so do that. Skulls have a power source. One skull pulls the wires from another, jams the wires into the back of the shooters neck. Rest of skulls establish a perimeter around him, blasting B.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Let's go with C because we need these people alive. Someone obviously put a gun and a very expensive bullet in their hands and we need to find out who.

Assuming its someone we know, it's probably Limosa or someone from the Beast since our other enemies like Devries or Mother either wouldn't have been able to afford or had access to the bullet or wouldn't have bothered to kill us so cleanly while leaving the Family's new payday untouched.

If we hear these guys talk about love then we should definitely send in the murderskulls.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

A x
B x x x x
C x x x
D
E

Still close methinks

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
B - The soldiers will shoot first and ask questions later. We need answers.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Limosa or DeVries seem like the logical options for the mastermind. Hilariously expensive method of assassination, poor proficiency with mechanicus-related skills.

Or...are they working together (dun dun dunnnn)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Slice of Life VII

The Face is all.

The Face looms over you, wider than all the elders with arms outstretched.

The Face cannot be harmed by any weapon.

The Face is unbreakable.

In the Time before Time, the Face spoke.

In the Time before Time, the Arm Spewed Fire.

The People will awaken the Face.

The Face will speak.

The Arm will Spew Fire.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Dude you are an amazing writer. You get 40k and several official authors dont. Years from now when this thread is done (I hope it takes years) you need to turn this into a series of books. It would be magnificent.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Dude you are an amazing writer. You get 40k and several official authors dont. Years from now when this thread is done (I hope it takes years) you need to turn this into a series of books. It would be magnificent.

I'd really like that :D I love writing.

My outline has us in the middle of Arc 2, of 5 planned Arcs. After that, we'll have so much power and influence Ill need to ask where we want to focus.

Covered in bees skulls

Your skulls flew down in a swarm, riding pillars of fire. Electrical arcs spat and twisted in their teeth, giving them a horrifying mein. Your voice shouted down from their voxcasters in a great chorus. “Nallani soldiers! I am the Brevet-General!” The crowd quailed, torn between awe and terror. They seemed unsure which response you wanted more.

“Lower your weapons! I wish to examine that weapon!”

Grateful for the instruction, they put down all the rifles, backed up, letting your skulls have full access of examination. You left a few in the sky just in case, you were willing to bet someone would try to jump the ones on the ground. They began floating over the rifle you had followed, sensor globes glinting eerily.

The rifle, for lack of a better word, was a masterpiece. Gilded in platinum, the metal was adamantine - the wood was from the trees of dead Tanith. It was probably the most expensive weapon you had ever seen, and you included tanks in that. Even a cursory scan showed that it had been crafted with laser precision. It was a rifle to kill legends with.

Honestly, you were flattered. Beyond flattered. This was … this was something else.

You turned a skull to the soldier who had held it. “Did you fire this weapon?”
He bowed his head reverently. “No, Brevet-General.”
“How did you come by it?”
“We - all of us” he indicated the soldiers around him with a nod, “were in the Rec area. We heard a shot, and went on the roof to see what it was. We didn’t see anyone, but they left that,” his voice became awed, “that weapon.”

What do you do?
A. Hes lying. He or one of the soldiers fired the weapon. Arrest them all on suspicion, and begin the testing.
B. Really, it could have been anyone. Cordon off the surrounding block and work your way through them.
C. This might be part of a larger play. Keep the rifle, keep your eyes open, but don’t overplay your hand.
D. They don’t know anything. A rifle like this, though, its a legend. It’ll be easy enough to trace.
E. Something Else.

Loel fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 6, 2015

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Arrest them all, have them processed by our people. Test for mental interference. May need processing to do so, small price to pay.

Confiscate that weapon for uhh...testing. Yeah.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

You know who'd love that weapon? Tanya'd love that weapon. Then we have an amazing sniper in our retinue, too.

Or maybe this crazy investigator chick. If we could get her in our retinue eventually, and armed with a sniper rifle for the times she's not sniffing out heretics...

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Rockopolis posted:

Well, for long term planning, for last ditch defense against this sort of thing, you want a power field of some kind. You know who has a lot? The Ecclesiasticarchy. We should look into getting on some kind of ecumenical council so we can get issued a Rosarius.

You know who makes that stuff for them? The mechanicus.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Slice of Life VIII

A dozen or so figures slumped wearily in the small room they had been sequestered in. Their bodies wore the scars of long and heavy use, and scattered among them were low tech low budget augments and prosthetics. Their hair was matted and unkempt, and they hadn’t looked to have shaved in months. By the looks, they hadn’t seemed to have showered in nearly that long either.

Between them, the wrappings of military food, and a deck of cards well past its expiration date.

One of them grunted. “Well, now what?”
Silence. This had the feel of an argument hashed and rehashed and rehydrated and hashed again.
He waited for a while, then asked again. “Well?”
Silence. After a time:
“I don’t know.”
A sullen pause. “You knew well enough on Hephaestus.”
“Hephaestus is the class, not the name. You know that.”
“They are all called Hephaestus. loving Tech-Priests.”
All the figures grunted, echoed it. “loving Tech-Priests.”
Second voice: "We got out, anyway. Kept our brains.”
“What good does that do us? Sitting in this poo poo room.”
The figures threw wrappers at the first voice, shouted him down.
Second voice: “Look, Amacita got us out of it. We’re not stuffed into servitors. We’re ahead.”
“Yeah? Where is she? Not come round lately I see.”
Silence. Then:
“She’ll come by.” Softer: “She’ll come by.”

-

Would you believe I forgot about these guys? :D

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I forgot about them too. Who are they?

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Green Intern posted:

I forgot about them too. Who are they?

Exactly what I thought!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Waaaaaaaay the gently caress back at the first Family meeting

quote:

C“The workers in Cargo-Bay 3 are reporting sightings of something “odd”. Usually I’d think its a time waster, workers getting into the drink, but several officers I trust report the same. I don’t have any more details than that.

-

Dynastic successions always brought out the best in people.

His voice was a rough growl, like some sort of alpha predator beast from a feral world. “Cruentus.”
The Investigator straightened in his seat, his dozens of medals jingling. His smile was bland and meaningless, his eyes cold. “Yes, my Lord-Sire.”
The Rogue Trader threw down a stack of folded papers. You recognized them - the Ship’s Press. It had been long tradition to let the dregs write down their puerile thoughts (after the Church reviewed them for heresy), and let them be passed about the ship. The paper itself a plastic facsimile, with text that could wash away and be stamped easily. It was another gimmick to extract wealth from the dregs, and let them have a formal source of gossip. And who cared what dregs thought?

The Wardens watched it closely, paranoid bunch that they were, but it was rare when the Lord-Sire gave it any thought.
“Your task, if you recall, was to find a serial killer in the depths. The Wardens had failed in their investigations, and you went down there, talked to a merchant for 30 minutes, and then shot him in the face. From there, you spent a week with the drop troops, where you got in four fights and killed twelve mercenaries.”
Cruentus smiled breezily. “I’m just that good, my Lord-Sire. I have a nose for villainy. His neighbors will agree, he always was a vile sort, and we haven’t heard a single complaint of murder since he was met with Justice.”
The Lord-Sire’s grunt was skeptical. “See that we don’t. I don’t want a riot over some murder-cult we could have nipped early.”

“Amacita.”
His Her voice was weak, high pitched and fearful. “My Lord Sire.”
“In a week of investigation, you found… nothing.”
“No, my Lord-Sire. I mean, yes, my Lord-Sire…”
“An entire shift, spooked over noises and nothingness?”
“Yes, my Lord-Sire.”
“Mm. Thought so. For wasting the Family’s time, I had the laborers flogged, and their shift leader spaced. I won’t have crewmen jumping at shadows.”
As blood drained from Amacita’s face, he turned.

Loel fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 6, 2015

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
D - That rifle is ours now, and it seems more likely we will find the shooter that way.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
D, confiscate the rifle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
D. Whoever took that shot is gone or so good at hiding they left behind a fortune weapon.

Figure out who can best use it and give them the gun. And manufacture some more rounds (wit spirits that we have access to).

This slice of life stuff is amazing. Can we slow down skill progression and explore more of he hulk? I want to find some xenos.