Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Current: 423,772

More datums

Do not show Athena
“What you think, ask Hera about it?”
Ching Shih looked at you strangely. “Not your usual first choice.”
“Don’t want to bias the questioning.”
Her eyebrows twitched. “Okay. Then yeah, she might know something.”
You accessed your comm. “Hera, have some questions for you.”

The avatar strolled into the room casually. “Still want to convince me of … holy cats what is that.”
Ching Shih held up the bracelet as you watched Hera’s face. “We were hoping to ask you the same thing.”
Hera had backed up against the wall, putting as much distance as possible between her and the device. “Mm, no. Definitely not.”
You blinked. “What is it?”
“You see all those layers of crypto? Yeah, of course you do. Consider those just the weeds of the real fortifications. That thing is so layered with traps and black ice that I don’t even like being in the same room as it.”
“Wait, this thing could harm you?”
“Absolutely. Don’t bring it any closer, if you would. I’d rather not test how sensitive the tripwires are.”
“What could it do?”
“It’s got a massive amount of firepower aimed for hyperspace pockets. Where my Mind is.”
“Uh… huh. Who could build something like this? And what is it guarding?”
Hera shifted uncomfortably. “We’ve told you about shards. Bits and pieces of a Mind that are independent, given their own information.”
“Sure.”
“That is a necklace full of shards.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Yes to Hera.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Wearing Gods as jewelry?!

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Any idea whose?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Guuuuys, Hera is: nice. :3:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Waci posted:

Any idea whose?

Yeah this

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
It's Gitmo for AIs. Hahaha it's an AI weapon!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 424,020

Gitmo for AIs

“Wait, how come Ching Shih and I can touch it?”
“The barriers it has for you are less dangerous. Just the lifetimes of crypto.” She paused. “Minds tend to be … sentimental about life. So if it’s impossible to get past the firewalls, it doesn’t need the traps.”
“But for you?”
“For me, it would be like injecting Ork spores right into my brain. Same thing for whatever Mind didn’t set up the traps.”
You paused. “Can you tell who set up the traps?”
“Without touching it - and I’m not going to, mind - it has Athena’s style. She was always very good at compartmentalizing, making back ups, layering traps. These seem to be … different memories of hers. Blueprints. Engineering ideas.... Battle plans. I couldn’t say the particulars, but these might be different aspects of her personalities.”
“So if we gave it to Athena, she could… what, just plug and play? Start remembering things?”

Hera was silent for a time. “If I’m right that those are Athena’s shards, and she set the traps, then it should be safe for her to use. And yes, she could access them as if she had always had them.” Another pause. “I don’t think you should, though. Bury it and pretend you never found it. They could be corrupted, could be full of malcode. No one wants to see a Mind become hostile to Humanity.”

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Considering where we got it, probably a good idea.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Why would Anna have that in the first place? And key it to Ching Shih? :manning:

I speculate Anna wouldn't give that to us if our using it would ruin her plans - that would be a shocking vulnerability on her part. So I guess we ... continue to not give Athena the bracelet, now feeling a little more secure about that decision since another major player has suggested that turning it over would be a Bad Thing?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I think Anna just tried to use reverse Psychology on us. She's probably got a task to corrupt Athena for Tzeentch, which is highly dangerous for Anna. What better way to preserve her own skin than to get us to do it for her, by deliberately doing what she in ostensibly good faith (ha!) told us not to do? It's suitably twisted a plan for her, and it jives with her probably precise understanding how ridiculously hard stealing her soul back from Tzeentch would be. If we do keep our word, we won't actually gently caress over Athena but she'll be able to point to her plan as the most likely method of achieving corruption, plus we might actually get her soul back. If we don't, she just gave Tzeentch a huge new toy to play with and it'll reward her. She doesn't really lose in either case.

Hera help us if Athena finds out we're hiding Shards from her, though.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

VanSandman posted:

I bet she would help us. She's now complicit in our conspiracy, after all. :unsmigghh:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Stuff it into a wall cavity in waste disposal room 4d8, level 59, sector b and ignore it until we get more Intel.

E: And wrap it in tinfoil.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume Anna is dealing in good faith, at least with regards to the asteroid. She bailed the battle and leveled with us a little, so I'm going to also assume that all those dead worlds are at least related to the bracelet and that under no circumstances should we give it to Athena.

Why give it to Ching though? I suspect Ching isn't going to react to it, but rather is there to transport it somewhere. This is classic "just as planned and right on time."

Here needs to erase her memory of this object. We can assume that Athena will make good on her promise and end Hera and we don't want this little tidbit getting out during the exit interview.

So really now it boils down to trusting Anna over Athena on this point. I'm starting to worry about Athena's plans. How much do we really know about her. At least Anna is Family and you can always trust Family to stab from the front and not in the face.

So who's path do we choose? Anna and Fab's wacky warp adventure or Athena's real-space rampage? We need more information.

"Hera forget this conversation, Ching this is yours. Keep it safe and hidden on your person. Tell no one. We need to talk to Athena."

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Called it.

Well, I sort of called it. I'm still going to take it though. :woop:

Thank Hera and tell her we have no intention of telling Athena anything about the bracelet. Have CS keep it secret and close.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I'm trying really hard not to pull the Gandalf line.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Arkanomen posted:

I'm trying really hard not to pull the Gandalf line.
"Fly you fools!"

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Keep it secret, keep it safe. Also, we are so hosed it hurts.

edit: :haw:

BTDubs OhTwo is totally a clone from the moment Athena came back online. I don't think OhTwo even knows DeVries. Limosa is still 'alive' and the Lord Sire is still super in charge.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Keep it secret, keep it safe. Also, we are so hosed it hurts.

edit: :haw:

BTDubs OhTwo is totally a clone from the moment Athena came back online. I don't think OhTwo even knows DeVries. Limosa is still 'alive' and the Lord Sire is still super in charge.

Does she even know she's married?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

talk to athena, but make a quickbutton to destroy it if she taking it by force.

Sincera clone, when?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Shes still a tramp who better keep her legs away from Fabs.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 424,258

Secret and safe

“Fair point. Ching Shih, hold onto it for now. Don’t show it to anyone. Don’t lose it, either, it was described to me as ‘their most valuable possession.”
“Can do.”
“Hera, if you would be so kind. Forget this conversation ever happened.”
She nodded, blinked. “So what did you need me for?”
You waved. “False alarm. Thought it was something, turned out not to be.”
Hera chuckled. “Age is sneaking up on you. I’ll be around.”

You glanced at Eodurd. “You come up with a message yet?”
“I was thinking ‘Fake Lynwood’s death. Send her to Ophelia VII. Bring psider nets. Anticipate Gorgon. Prepare defenses.”
You counted the words. “Fifteen? Should be easy enough to get in ninety seconds.”
He tapped them out on the papers, practicing. “Yeah, no problem.”

..-. .- -.- . / .-.. -.-- -. .-- --- --- -.. / -.. . .- - .... .-.-.- / ... . -. -.. / .... . .-. / - --- / --- .--. .... . .-.. .. .- / ...- .. .. .-.-.- / -... .-. .. -. --. / .--. ... .. -.. . .-. / -. . - ... .-.-.- / .- -. - .. -.-. .. .--. .- - . / --. --- .-. --. --- -. .-.-.- / .--. .-. . .--. .- .-. . / -.. . ..-. . -. ... . ... .-.-.-

You put on your Eldar mask. “Alrighty. Let’s do this.”

“Ohone, we need to talk to you. This should be your second message.”
Her face was full of irritation. “Really? Just now? This moment in particular?”
You remembered it well, glared at Edourd.
“Oh believe me. I’m not any happier about this than you are. Eddy, here, was determined it had to be at this time and place.”
He shuffled his paper notes. You could hear the tapping, now that you were looking for it, and you noticed Fabiyan counting them off silently. “The numbers were quite clear. It’s possible we might be able to change something at this point.”
Your counterpart narrowed her eyes. “I’ve done time travel. It’s all closed loops and fulfilling your own past that you did but didn’t know you did.”
You rolled yours. “Believe me, I know. I told him. He thinks he can change this one.”
“And it’s important enough to interrupt this?”
“He called in his favor.” Memories flashed back, Edourd killing a thousand men, lightning in his hands and laughter in his voice.
“Edourd, when you call this favor in, I’m giving you such a slap.”
You almost smiled, thinking of the several times you had. “We certainly did.”
He chewed on the inside of his cheek. “Now that we’ve done all that, can we get to business?”
You both gestured angrily, spoke. “Yes, fine.” “Yes, fine.”
He blinked. “I’m never going to get used to that. So. You know we’re in a war now.”
“The Imperium is always at war.”
He cocked his head. “You know which war.”
She paused. “Fine. So what?”
“We… are having a problem. And it would be dreadfully convenient if you could nip it in the bud.”
You snorted. “This won’t work, because it didn’t work. It’s closed.”
He ignored you.
“So, we need you to complete an investigation at this world at you arriving at.”
“Okay, sure. What is it?”
Edourd bit his lip thoughtfully. “I’m not sure how much I can say without paradoxing things. Just know that you can stop her here.”
She waited. He stared at her meaningfully. “That’s it? ‘You can stop her here’?”
You shook your head, growled. “Every since he figured out we could do this, he’s been all cryptic and mysterious. loving Eldar.”
“Bet you he’s been hanging out with Limosa too much.”
“No bet. Best buddies, they are.”
“I knew it.”
She looked at you. “Anything else you want to tell me? Might help this investigation.”
You looked at Fabiyan briefly, smiled. “He’s worth it.”

The recording ended. You looked over at Edourd. “You send the whole thing?”
“Yeah. Now, hopefully, Ophelia VII will be better defended.” He glanced at you. “What was that bit at the end? He’s worth it?”
You chuckled. “He’s worth Agatha’s World.”
He took a calming breath, glared at you. “We are trying to prevent Agatha’s World.”
“It’s impossible, like I said. Best we can do is change the background a bit.”
“Maybe it would be more possible if you didn’t insist on telling your past things like that!”

“Hey… hey guys.”
You both looked at Ching Shih. She pointed at the Staff. “Is it just me, or is it spinning faster?”

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Grab the Staff, let it speak.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Arkanomen posted:

Grab the Staff, let it speak.

This. May the odds be ever in our favor.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

"It's just you."

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Determine if the Staff is spinning faster or if CS's perception of it has changed

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

VanSandman posted:

I think Anna just tried to use reverse Psychology on us. She's probably got a task to corrupt Athena for Tzeentch, which is highly dangerous for Anna. What better way to preserve her own skin than to get us to do it for her, by deliberately doing what she in ostensibly good faith (ha!) told us not to do? It's suitably twisted a plan for her, and it jives with her probably precise understanding how ridiculously hard stealing her soul back from Tzeentch would be. If we do keep our word, we won't actually gently caress over Athena but she'll be able to point to her plan as the most likely method of achieving corruption, plus we might actually get her soul back. If we don't, she just gave Tzeentch a huge new toy to play with and it'll reward her. She doesn't really lose in either case.

If this is the case, Anna will also dial up Athena and tell her Ohone or CS is hiding shards from you, go get them. So Anna still has ways of forcing the issue. Giving it to CS is not a guarantee of safety, let's throw it in the ship's vaults or a sun and forget about it. Say CS didn't want it, if Anna asks.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Ask Athena whether she would want us to tell her about potentially booby trapped and probably corrupter due to their source shards that we received from the enemy. We can talk straight with her.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Waci posted:

Ask Athena whether she would want us to tell her about potentially booby trapped and probably corrupter due to their source shards that we received from the enemy. We can talk straight with her.

That feels like telling. :ohdear:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

poor life choice posted:

That feels like telling. :ohdear:

Waci is on Team Follow Athena/roboloving, so no surprise there.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Snitches get stitches :colbert:

Edit: unless they're snitching to us, then they get rewarded.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

sniper4625 posted:

Eh, that could go either way.

Grabpot Thundergust
Jul 6, 2010

sniper4625 posted:

Snitches get stitches :colbert:

What if they're snitching to us about what a future/past version of us is/will/was did/doing/do?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Don't say poo poo, just keep moving forward.

We can't do poo poo about Athena right now, we can't use the bracelet, and the only thing talking right now is the staff. Poke the staff, see what is up then get back to work protecting Terra.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Grabpot Thundergust posted:

What if they're snitching to us about what a future/past version of us is/will/was did/doing/do?

It's still us, so it doesn't count as snitching.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
That's a nice stick CS. Sure is doing something. What does it mean?

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
What would happen if we tried to smash the crystals?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

Or plug them into an isolated computer with no transmitters, or speakers, microphone, key board, LEDs or other means of communication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

I am going to guess that they have physical resistance to damage, if not defenses that would activate. Though it would be hilariously Demolition Man for it to have advanced technological defenses that could be circumvented by throwing it on the ground.

e: either way, that would probably: do nothing, damage it, or release its contents. Two of those are probably bad. Probably.

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 26, 2016