Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I remember a few years ago my wife and I were looking into moving to Canada (from US). We got the same "about 7 years for citizenship" thing that kidhash describes.

I'd imagine that it would be similar for most other countries.

I don't want to get too E/N in here, but you don't really seem in favor of this idea. What exactly makes America a "shithole" for her and conversely what makes New Zealand so appealing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Things like living in a small town that owns a tank and police shootings, the legislation of women's reproductive systems, and everything about American politics in the last few decades are her reason for going. As to why NZ, she's read a bunch about the place and how nice it is for people who live there, about how their health care works and how beautiful it is and a bunch of other stuff that I'm sure the citizens like. She knows a few people who live there as well through a mother's group she's been a part of for a while.

Being completely honest, she has done her research into why she personally would like to live there and decided this was the best decision our family could make and now she wants me to get behind it and I'm not going to. She doesn't know a thing about emigration or about the costs we would incurr or what NZ would actually want from us before they would allow us to move there with an eye towards permanent residency.

She wants me to consider this like it's a realistic possibility and it is not, and she's angry with me for not treating her proposal like a serious decision that I should actively consider making or want to make. I don't, I don't have to consider it for a second before I know I do not want to move to NZ, I do not want to leave my family here, there is nothing about the idea that appeals to me on any level ever, and she called me close minded for knowing what I want without having to spend a long time thinking about it or caring what details about how nice it is she can tell me.

If we were rich as hell and could afford to fly back several times a year across an ocean to visit friends and family I might be willing to consider it. That will likely never be the case.

Fair enough. I don't know what the political climate is like there, but if that's her main reason for leaving I'm guessing that's what she looked for first.

If she hasn't already, she may want to check out http://www.immigration.govt.nz/

I did a quick check and (if I picked the right options) the fees to apply for a Permanent Resident VISA is about $1400 per application (not per person). Oh, and just to note

New Zealand posted:

If we decline your application or registration, we will not refund the fee. The processing cost is the same whether or not we approve your application/registration.

So if they decide they don't need any more Americans taking up residence in their rolling hills, you're out just shy of $1500 with nothing to show for it.

Work VISAs might be a little different, and you might get one easier if you are skilled /experienced in any of the fields here. This is what they are looking for now: http://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/work-in-nz/nz-jobs-industries

Good luck.

• Locked thread