Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hmmm I would be interested in a more detailed strategy if you have time to write it up. There were a LOT of models in a very small area to start that mission and it turned into kind of a scrum. Also the Imperial player rolled pretty well.

Also, thank you for all-capping the GENERAL, he deserves it.

I'm not trying to pick at your write up, but was the Imperial player following instructions on reinforcements and deployment properly? Since he can only use a unit once per turn, it might be a good tactic to try and bait out his tougher units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I'm not trying to pick at your write up, but was the Imperial player following instructions on reinforcements and deployment properly? Since he can only use a unit once per turn, it might be a good tactic to try and bait out his tougher units.

No please pick it apart. I know we did a few things wrong, but I thought the gist of it is:

Imperial Player starts with 2 threat.

We do our first turn. Everybody moves, shoots, hits, etc. We kill a storm trooper and wound two others. Bad die rolls keep the Probe Droid and Officer in top shape. He moves his stormtrooper, officer, probe droid in front of the door in a 2x2 meat wall.

At the beginning of turn 2 he spends 2 threat and brings in storm trooper and puts him in the water area. We do our stuff but can't get through the meat wall. We kill the Probe Droid and wound the officer but his officer and remaining Storm Trooper is still blocking the door. The newly arrived Storm Trooper is killed and the terminal is blown up.

A the beginning of turn 3 he spends his 4 remaining threat and brings 2 storm troopers to reinforce the sole remaining one. We keep fighting and finally get the meat wall down enough to open the door and right into a shitstorm.

Remaining terminals go to 7 health, E-Web engineer shoots the poo poo out of the Rebels as they run for the storage room. The smuggler and GENERAL stay behind to blow up the terminal adjacent to the E-Web, but it takes forever thanks to 7 health and 2 auto-blocks and they get shot to poo poo, the GENERAL "dying".

Wookie and Jedi are unable to blow up the two remaining terminals in time. The end.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent

alg posted:

It sucks to have to buy an app + in app purchases (and the app is awful) just to know about other people's models, or borrow little cards that are tiny and have a ton of rules on them. There are SO MANY units and characters that unless you spend all your time reading up on them you can never really be 100% prepared for a tournament. It's really tough for a new player to get into the game.

With army books I can always read through an army book and know what to expect. I guess for WMH it's more exhausting because there are two games with several factions each + mercs and minions and so many special rules. I'm always getting caught by gotchas not knowing the rules for a unit or asking my opponent to let me review their cards for 20 minutes before a game.

I really like how FFG makes their rules so simple (at least for X-Wing and SW:LCG). For Imperial Assault, mixing the rules between the getting started guide and rules reference makes it tough to learn the game.

PP does books, too. you have all the options GW has plus the app, plus the cards. and there's the added bonus of each book containing things for all the factions in your side of the game. As for Gotchas, play with better opponents. PP specifically calls out openness of rules information in every single book they put out. If someone asks you how hard your dude hits and you don't reply with a number, you're being a douche. If your local players are creating a negative environment for new players, that's really on them rather than the company putting out the product (which again, has books, cards, and an app as options to learn the abilities of the models)

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

No please pick it apart. I know we did a few things wrong, but I thought the gist of it is:

We do our first turn. Everybody moves, shoots, hits, etc. We kill a storm trooper and wound two others. Bad die rolls keep the Probe Droid and Officer in top shape. He moves his stormtrooper, officer, probe droid in front of the door in a 2x2 meat wall.

At the beginning of turn 2 he spends 2 threat and brings in storm trooper and puts him in the water area. We do our stuff but can't get through the meat wall. We kill the Probe Droid and wound the officer but his officer and remaining Storm Trooper is still blocking the door. The newly arrived Storm Trooper is killed and the terminal is blown up.

A the beginning of turn 3 he spends his 4 remaining threat and brings 2 storm troopers to reinforce the sole remaining one. We keep fighting and finally get the meat wall down enough to open the door and right into a shitstorm.

Remaining terminals go to 7 health, E-Web engineer shoots the poo poo out of the Rebels as they run for the storage room. The smuggler and GENERAL stay behind to blow up the terminal adjacent to the E-Web, but it takes forever thanks to 7 health and 2 auto-blocks and they get shot to poo poo, the GENERAL "dying".

Wookie and Jedi are unable to blow up the two remaining terminals in time. The end.

Wait. Is your turn order set up that all heroes go first and then the Imperial player?

It's supposed to be Hero1, Imp, Hero2, Imp, Hero3, Imp, Hero4, Imp. He can only activate one deployment card per activation phase.
Also, it costs him 6 threat total to bring a new Stormtrooper unit out (3 figures to 1 unit). You can't piece meal them out.

The reinforcement looks like it was done correctly except that reinforced figures are placed nearest a green deployment marker, not in the actual unit.

If you deviate from the rules for that first mission, then it's definitely easy to overwhelm the heroes. I've played it quite a few times now with different people and the rebels always win, but it's action-packed and not a complete stomp, which tells me it's quite balanced for enjoyment.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

You can also move through enemies for an extra movement point. Its important to focus on the objective instead of clearing the board

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

alg posted:

You can also move through enemies for an extra movement point. Its important to focus on the objective instead of clearing the board

Definitely awesome advice for rebel players. It will force the Imperial player to bring large figure cards on a mission simply to try and stop them from rushing objectives in a hallway. Jyn will, of course, blow the creature up before it even gets to attack, but pounce on the lizard cats is nice!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

No, we did the activation right. The wookie charged, the Storm Troopers moved away, the Smuggler activated and missed, the officer moved back, etc.

The Storm Troopers deployed correctly. They did not teleport adjacent, they showed up in the water in the bottom left of the board. He would activate them first every turn and they would all shoot the Wookie and move in front of the door (the Wookie had to go first on turn 2 and double rest to keep from being wounded, as he took 10 damage in the first turn)

We did let him reinforce for 2 threat each. I think that's the main problem. It meant his shouldn't-have-been-there turn 2 storm trooper absorbed one good attack (it got 1 shotted) and that might have gotten us to the door a character earlier.

Nonetheless it was really hard, past turn 3 we ran everything perfectly RAW and it wasn't enough. We would have needed at least 2 more character activations and also for the Jedi to not take any more damage, so...very dicey, still don't think we could have pulled it off.

Edit: I was a big Descent 1e player so I told people that we needed to focus on the objectives and not methodically advance. We still got worked over and like I said I just felt that the 7 health terminals with the 2 auto-blocks and the meat wall scrum at the beginning were really mean and made it extremely difficult.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

From what I hear, the Jedi doesn't start snowballing until she gets her lightsaber. The furry ranged hero has that passive that makes him unable to be targeted within x range, which made that 1st mission as an Imp player frustratingly difficult. Since you guys only played with 3 heroes, are you adding the extra hp and 1 extra activation phase for one of the hero's per turn?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

From what I hear, the Jedi doesn't start snowballing until she gets her lightsaber. The furry ranged hero has that passive that makes him unable to be targeted within x range, which made that 1st mission as an Imp player frustratingly difficult. Since you guys only played with 3 heroes, are you adding the extra hp and 1 extra activation phase for one of the hero's per turn?

We're playing with four: The Jedi, The Smuggler, the Wookie, the GENERAL (our player who plays the GENERAL orders us around and we don't always do it, but he's still the GENERAL, drat it)

I'll remember that about the Lightsaber.

And we aren't playing with the Bothan or that badass Soldier (I almost took him but I liked being annoying and slippery in the tutorial)

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

We're playing with four: The Jedi, The Smuggler, the Wookie, the GENERAL (our player who plays the GENERAL orders us around and we don't always do it, but he's still the GENERAL, drat it)

I'll remember that about the Lightsaber.

And we aren't playing with the Bothan or that badass Soldier (I almost took him but I liked being annoying and slippery in the tutorial)

Oh right, the GENERAL. I actually don't think he's very useful because the game's pacing relies on moving fast and blowing the poo poo out of enemies along the way. I think the Bothan and soldier do that better than the GENERAL's skills.

The probe droid jihad is also an awesome skill to gently caress with heroes and they're so cheap to re-deploy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Also, I know I'm a huge sucker idiot for saying this, but I'm genuinely excited about the idea of them adding expansions to Imp Assault. Fighting the Hutts, having Boba Fett show up, fleeing Hoth, etc. Basically like Shadows of the Empire but in a board game (and good).

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
Is there a thread on here somewhere about Tabletop Simulator yet? I'm thinking about creating the setup needed for ImpAss so my friends and I have more opportunities to play short sessions online (it's tough to line up schedules when your whole group are dads).

I'm trying to figure out how easy or difficult it would be to share all the necessary files with my friends, before I waste time doing a METRIC SHITTON of scanning and image cropping. I'm not really comfortable uploading to Steam Workshop for everyone because of the fuzzy legality.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/3/6/troopers-and-champions/

Rebel Troopers preview: I loving love how thematic their new action power is. I am not sure if it is at all good as I haven't played skirmish yet (league starts 2 Mondays from now!) but their power is just like the beginning of ANH.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

alg posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/3/6/troopers-and-champions/

Rebel Troopers preview: I loving love how thematic their new action power is. I am not sure if it is at all good as I haven't played skirmish yet (league starts 2 Mondays from now!) but their power is just like the beginning of ANH.

I don't know if I'd call them effective at holding a position in the beginning of ANH. :lol: They basically run away while not slowing the Imps down at all. While i'm sperging about Star Wars (one of my favorite things), it seems odd to suddenly portray the uniforms those guards were using in ANH as the Official Uniform of a Rebel Trooper, kind of like how it's weird that Obi Wan's desert hermit robes are retconned as being the official Jedi uniform (which I always thought would be closer to what Luke wears in RotJ). The corvette in ANH is supposed to be a diplomatic ship carrying an Imperial Ambassador (Leia). So they would hardly wear rebel uniforms and still try to steadfastly deny they were with the Rebellion when caught. Then again, there are some rebels portrayed wearing the same or very similar outfits on Yavin 4. Hmm.

Still, new toys look fun. Game is fun.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 6, 2015

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Oh right, the GENERAL. I actually don't think he's very useful because the game's pacing relies on moving fast and blowing the poo poo out of enemies along the way. I think the Bothan and soldier do that better than the GENERAL's skills.

The probe droid jihad is also an awesome skill to gently caress with heroes and they're so cheap to re-deploy.

We call Gideon Argus (The GENERAL) Uncle Ruckus in our game. He's been pretty useful, much like I tend to use imperial officers to daisy chain big units from the spawn point to the front of the battle in order to get them firing on the heroes.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Imperial Player starts with 0 threat unless otherwise stated in the mission setup. For Aftermath it is 0.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 7, 2015

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Elenkis posted:

Imperial Player starts with 0 threat unless otherwise stated in the mission setup. For Aftermath it is 0.

You get 2 at the end of the first round which you can use immediately to reinforce the stormtrooper squad.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Victorkm posted:

You get 2 at the end of the first round which you can use immediately to reinforce the stormtrooper squad.

Right, but in his game the Imperial Player had used 6 threat by the start of round 3:

quote:

At the beginning of turn 2 he spends 2 threat and brings in storm trooper and puts him in the water area.

A the beginning of turn 3 he spends his 4 remaining threat and brings 2 storm troopers to reinforce the sole remaining one.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 7, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Elenkis posted:

Well he hosed that up then. He told us he started with Threat equal to the threat level and that is 2 at the beginning of the campaign. Good to know.

Also can he reinforce squads or just deploy them? Was earlier told:

Also, it costs him 6 threat total to bring a new Stormtrooper unit out (3 figures to 1 unit). You can't piece meal them out.

Getting conflicting info here. He can pay 2 to reinforce an existing ST unit and place them at the green marker, right? So if 1 dies on turn 1 he can pop a new one out at the start of Turn 2?

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Well he hosed that up then. He told us he started with Threat equal to the threat level and that is 2 at the beginning of the campaign. Good to know.

Also can he reinforce squads or just deploy them? Was earlier told:

Getting conflicting info here. He can pay 2 to reinforce an existing ST unit and place them at the green marker, right? So if 1 dies on turn 1 he can pop a new one out at the start of Turn 2?
Yes he can reinforce them for 2 points per figure. All of the deployment cards that come with more than 1 figure have a per-figure reinforcement cost listed too.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Correct. For example:

This Stormtrooper Squad costs 6 influence to deploy the full squad (which is three, indicated by the lines on the left of the card.) The "2" next to the 6 is the cost to deploy a dead squad member.

Here's where I have a question. I come from a Warmachine background, so I tend to think that when a squad activates, they all move and shoot in the same activation, and that they need to remain relatively close to another. I don't think Imp rear end does this, though. Am I right to think that i can just send a couple chumps up and keep deploying chumps later at a discount?

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

They do activate together, but there is no requirement that they remain close together. When you activate a squad, each figure has to do their complete activation before another one can start (move and shoot, double move, etc.)

I don't see any restrictions on abusing reinforcements like that, except that there must be one guy alive in the squad, and there must be room in the squad (at least one dead guy). Reinforcements must use the same deploy points as everyone else (not the surviving members of their squad).

Many squad deployment cards have some skill or bonus that triggers when near allies or the same class of dude, so splitting them up isn't usually ideal.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Progress report: gently caress this is a lot of scanning. I (crappily) used mspaint to make the dice faces.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Something else really important to make sure your imperial player is aware of. He can only deploy units from his hand.

So if the mission gives him a Stormtrooper squad at the start of the encounter. He can't deploy another Stormtrooper squad unless;

A. He has another stormtrooper squad in his hand,
or
B. The original squad dies and their card returns to his hand.

There is usually a really hard limit on how many deployment cards the imperial player can actually take into a mission. So make sure he is building his hand properly at the start. The setup will go over how many units start in play, how many are reserved for special events and then he may get the opportunity to bring a couple of cards of his own choice to his hand (and that first mission the imp can only use what he is given, he can't bring in any cards at all).

The reason I bring this up is that it sounds like he deployed a second Stormtrooper squad before you opened the door, and there isn't enough deployment cards in the box for that unless you wiped that squad out and returned the squad to his hand (because there is a reserve rd squad in the comms room).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

No he didn't deploy a second squad, just reinforced the first. He started with 2 threat that he shouldn't have. I appreciate the clarification though.

It's all cool, the Imperial player is a good guy and realized he interpreted a lot of things as "gently caress the good guys". Afterwards he actually felt really bad (he hosed up a BIG rule that I'm not mentioning and we had to recalc damage and poo poo) so he let us pick any side mission we want for the next mission. We're going after the Jedi's lightsaber.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Imp always starts with 0 threat no matter what?! Where in the rules does it say this because i guess i must have just missed it :(

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Imp always starts with 0 threat no matter what?! Where in the rules does it say this because i guess i must have just missed it :(

Some missions have a special "After deployment the imperial player gains threat equal to the threat level (sometimes more) and gets to make another deployment before the mission starts". Otherwise you start with nothing.

If the rebels deploy allies you also get the threat and get a chance to deploy something in return as well.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFUkS6UvK3o

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

We have just reached the final quarter of the campaign and things are getting really difficult as the imperial player. The rebels are capable of wiping out a lot of the things I deploy, on the turn that they deploy, so I never get to use them. The last side mission they did was the one that rewards Han Solo and I couldn't keep more than one unit on the board consistently because they were so good at killing things quickly. Now that they have cancelling surges automatically for them going to the effort of buying Imperial Industry has almost been nullified because they are using him as a battery that always touches their melee dudes, while the ranged guys are either always out of line of sight, or just so tanky it doesn't matter. The veteran guy has 15hp now and the skill that lets him roll a black and a white defence dice. It is such a turnaround from the start of the campaign.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It sounds like an Imperial guy is narrating this.

*zooms in on rulebook with a cool speeder sound* WOW!

beep boop bop you're rollin dice!

Needs five 12 year olds in long-sleeve shirts sitting around a kitchen table rolling dice, putting their face like 6 inches from the dice and smiling insanely at the result.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Star Wars: Armada rules are up! Also lists some sample builds and it will be in our hands next week! Exciting!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

300 Points limit, only a third of your points in squadrons, no 37 tie fighter squadron list :v:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Tekopo posted:

300 Points limit, only a third of your points in squadrons, no 37 tie fighter squadron list :v:

You gotta have at least half bombers, duh

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014
I'm pretty sad I ordered from cardhaus, I saved some money but I won't see my game until wave 1.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

MadWOPR posted:

I'm pretty sad I ordered from cardhaus, I saved some money but I won't see my game until wave 1.

My brother in law ordered it for me for xmas, along with some wave 1 stuff from CSI. I won't be seeing it for a while :(

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I don't want to curse it, but this seems like the natural successor to battlefleet Gothic. Does that seem fair?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Thirsty Dog posted:

I don't want to curse it, but this seems like the natural successor to battlefleet Gothic. Does that seem fair?

Not at all. This will have support and a fan base.

I still have a 7500 point Nurgle fleet

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 17, 2015

alg
Mar 14, 2007

holy poo poo y'all

Imerial Assault skirmish is fuckin' brilliant

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Star Wars: Armada rules are up! Also lists some sample builds and it will be in our hands next week! Exciting!

So with Victory-class being considered as medium, Imperial-class and MonCal crusiers are likely large?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Weissritter posted:

So with Victory-class being considered as medium, Imperial-class and MonCal crusiers are likely large?

That was my thought. Makes me wonder how big they'll be when they're released.