Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Off topic but you have an incredibly long commute!!

Drive from Utah to Idaho on Monday come home Friday. That's the construction industry for ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
more like PEE SPRAY

in his STUPED FACE AMIRITE

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I wonder if he'll keep his new "I'm not a dumbfuck" black rim glasses in Jail?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Baracula posted:

-forums texas defender

if i cant defend the godliest state in this gay union america truly has fallen

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Y-Hat posted:

i have no idea why there is a concerted effort to flip Texas from a red state when Georgia is closer to being blue. that's saying something because Georgia is a cesspool

that nate silver guy did the projections and texas never goes blue. Georgia flips in 2048 or something haha

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

he will be because the mug shots can still be used in ads after he's acquitted

thats gonna be funny

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rick perry never smiles. Maybe he will for the mug shot. Also the only people bitching are people who literally vote republican sometimes because "you should vote for who has the best ideas not just party" lol

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Slurin posted:

Youre retarded

pls don't execute me

Slurin
Jul 17, 2008
I am a coward who makes grandiose claims and then runs away when asked for evidence. Please ignore everything I have to say.

Nonsense posted:

Rick perry never smiles. Maybe he will for the mug shot. Also the only people bitching are people who literally vote republican sometimes because "you should vote for who has the best ideas not just party" lol
It
Lol if you think using executive power against a felony convicted official is jailable

Slurin
Jul 17, 2008
I am a coward who makes grandiose claims and then runs away when asked for evidence. Please ignore everything I have to say.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

pls don't execute me

Too late, stay safe tubgirl ghost

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Cesar Cedeno posted:

lol he could actually end up in jail.

Please let this happen.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Slurin posted:

It
Lol if you think using executive power against a felony convicted official is jailable

He's definitely guilty of the second count. The first count probably won't pass the sniff test.

democrat DA is accused of corruption because she demanded the sheriff release her from jail. He didn't, no corruption, that's how texas works, because the GOP normalized it, Perry made a casual mistake. Should have just cut her offices funding without saying poo poo.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Remember when he threatened to secede and everyone else in the country was like, "We call your bluff."

Slurin
Jul 17, 2008

Nonsense posted:

He's definitely guilty of the second count. The first count probably won't pass the sniff test.

democrat DA is accused of corruption because she demanded the sheriff release her from jail. He didn't, no corruption, that's how texas works, because the GOP normalized it, Perry made a casual mistake. Should have just cut her offices funding without saying poo poo.

Meh, this is just a political takedown. Special prosecutor only called on people in austin, wildely liberal. They tried it with the fat guy in new jersey and it didn't work and this one is even more contrived. A dude who has been governor for 14 years doesn't simply gently caress up as you implied

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
yeah, christie closing down a bridge to punish some mayor who didn't support him in the last election was perfectly legal. stupid witch hunts

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
generally you can't cut funding to a department just because you don't like the person running it or because they won't listen to you. even if theyre a drunk

it's the reason for texas's last governor indictment (early 1900s I think), a democrat that time.

#godblessdickperry

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Slurin posted:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Slurin posted:

Meh, this is just a political takedown. Special prosecutor only called on people in austin, wildely liberal. They tried it with the fat guy in new jersey and it didn't work and this one is even more contrived. A dude who has been governor for 14 years doesn't simply gently caress up as you implied

youre an idiot

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

youre an idiot

I agree with slurin. It just doesn't seem plausible for a guy who was in office for 14 years to just accidentally commit a blatant felony towards the very end of his time in office. I mean, sure, what he's accused of doing is clearly against the law, and Perry did admit in specific detail to doing exactly what he's accused of....but it just doesn't pass the "sniff test", to borrow a phrase from another poster. I suspect shenanigans. Perry was set up somehow. I'm not going to go as far as to suggest a plot involving mind control or something insane like that, but I do think there's a good chance Obama abused the powers of the presidency to either threaten, coerce, or surreptitiously maneuver Perry into the position he's found himself in now. I'm not saying Perry did no wrong, of course; he clearly has skeletons in his closet which Obama must have taken advantage of. I've voted for both Republicans and Democrats in the past, so I think I have a sort of unique perspective where I can see both sides of the issue here.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry, wrong thread.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Benedick Cuckold posted:

I agree with slurin. It just doesn't seem plausible for a guy who was in office for 14 years to just accidentally commit a blatant felony towards the very end of his time in office. I mean, sure, what he's accused of doing is clearly against the law, and Perry did admit in specific detail to doing exactly what he's accused of....but it just doesn't pass the "sniff test", to borrow a phrase from another poster. I suspect shenanigans. Perry was set up somehow. I'm not going to go as far as to suggest a plot involving mind control or something insane like that, but I do think there's a good chance Obama abused the powers of the presidency to either threaten, coerce, or surreptitiously maneuver Perry into the position he's found himself in now. I'm not saying Perry did no wrong, of course; he clearly has skeletons in his closet which Obama must have taken advantage of. I've voted for both Republicans and Democrats in the past, so I think I have a sort of unique perspective where I can see both sides of the issue here.

lol

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Benedick Cuckold posted:

Agreed. Obama's looking pretty suspicious in all this imo.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

BigBoss posted:

Remember when he threatened to secede and everyone else in the country was like, "Please and thank you."

ftfy

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Molly Ivins status: not seeing any of this

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
i'm sure the harsh justice will be applied to Rick Perry, because of the way he made that bitch who got a DUI resign. IF not wlel... lets just say I'm moving to canada

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

Kelfeftaf posted:

Agreed. Obama's looking pretty suspicious in all this imo.

yeah call me skeptical but this just came out of nowhere? right before midterm elections? right when obama is trying to distract us from his screw up in benghazi? ummm don't get me wrong rick perry definitely broke a (very minor) rule but arrested? mugshot? this has 'white house power trip' written all over it

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7y7oJ266qI

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Benedick Cuckold posted:

I wish Obama had mind control powers

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

So he could make the GOP suck their dicks on national TV

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

etalian posted:

So he could make the GOP suck their dicks on national TV

imagine mitch mcconnell shoving his own penis into his chinless face. hot

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
lol if you think perry wanted her to resign because she got a dui.

he wanted her gone because she was a dem in charge of corruption investigations.

it is an illegal act to abuse your gubernatorial power to withhold budgeted funds for her department regardless of what he thought of her. precendent exists in TX for this.

he threatened her and she didn't back down (how many us politicians have done far worse than get a dui and refuse to resign, please give us all a break)
he went through with his illegal threat and a lawsuit was filed. there's precedent for it and whether he wins or loses his mug shot is still going to be on TV a lot and I can't wait.

he's also going against the norm and paying for his legal defense with TX taxpayers' money. but that's cool!

[effort]

quote:

The grand jury charged Mr. Perry with abuse of official capacity, a first-degree felony, and with coercion of a public official. Those are serious crimes, that could carry very serious prison time if proven at trial and if Mr. Perry is convicted.

In fact, the maximum punishment on the first charge is five to 99 years in prison. The maximum punishment on the second charge is 2 to 10 years. The indictments arise out of Mr. Perry’s threat to withhold $7.2 million in funding from Ms. Lehmberg’s office unless she resigned.

quote:

The last Texas governor to face criminal charges was James E. “Pa” Ferguson, who was indicted in 1917 by a Travis County grand jury on embezzlement and eight other charges. His case also involved a veto that stirred anger: Mr. Ferguson vetoed the entire appropriation to the University of Texas because it had refused to fire certain faculty members. The state Senate voted to impeach him, but he resigned first.

what a wonderful gift!
i don't pray but i'll wish him ill from afar, best i can offer.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's also a jury indicted meaning the evidence had to be compelling enough to get enough votes to proceed to the next legal stage.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

except they'd still vote for him over any democrat so that doesn't mean much

i'm throwing away my vote for Wendy Davis

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Y-Hat posted:

texas people itt proving once again that "texan" is a synonym for "retard"

if that was the case texas would be executing texans left and right

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm not a huge Perry fan, but this sounds like a pretty minor thing. Still looking forward to Abbot taking over though.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

comes along bort posted:

if that was the case texas would be executing texans left and right

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Frackie Robinson posted:

I'm not a huge Perry fan, but this sounds like a pretty minor thing. Still looking forward to Abbot taking over though.
O it's a minor thing, definitely, because it's Rick "3 things" Perry. This is just the Schadenfreude on the cake.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Frackie Robinson posted:

Still looking forward to Abbot taking over though.

lol since having another insane GOP governor will really help Texas out.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

etalian posted:

lol since having another insane GOP governor will really help Texas out.

I just vote for whoever likes fracking the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Kelfeftaf posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazen_bull

This should be done to Rick Perry.

But my prayers go out to him.

yeah but Cheney has it stored way at the back of his garage and nobody's vacuumed the baby ashes out of it in like forever, so it's probably not available

• Locked thread