Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

What is it?
Basically, Aoi, a shy, introverted girl, gets dragged into hijinks by her outgoing childhood friend Hinata. Said hijinks generally revolve around hiking or camping.

If you'd rather, here's a copypasta from Anime News Network

quote:

Aoi and Hinata are childhood friends. Aoi prefers staying indoors and is afraid of heights, whereas Hinata is outgoing and loves mountaineering. They both decide to climb a mountain, in order to see a sunrise they saw together when they were younger.

Hinata and Aoi made a promise to each other when they were very young to climb a mountain. Years later they get in contact again and start acting on that promise. However Aoi has developed a fear of heights, and Hinata has little patience for planning and even less caution.

Characters

Aoi (VA: Yuka Iguchi - Norie from Tamayura, Mako from Girls und Panzer)

Painfully shy, and scared of heights, she's prone to get dragged into things by Hinata. She is good hearted. Pretty decent cook.

Hinata (VA: Kana Asumi - Yuno from Hidamari Sketch, Komari from Non Non Biyori)

Animated, energetic, and sneakily lazy. She likes to drag others at her pace, and somehow manages to avoid doing work more times than not. She's the source of most of the comedy. Avoids cooking.

Kaede (VA: Yoko Hikasa - Mio from K-on, Emi Yusa from The Devil is a Part Timer)

An experienced mountaineer, and Aoi's first second friend. She's supportive and is looked up to by the others. Cannot cook.

Kokona (VA: Yui Ogura - A bunch of roles I don't recognize)

The youngest of the bunch, she can be a bit airheaded. The best cook of the bunch.

Why should I watch it?
This show gives me the same feelings I get when I watch Hidamari Sketch. It's relaxing and enjoyable slice of life, with a touch of camping/hiking education, and the occasional heartwarming moment.

If you haven't seen it, give season 1 a shot. Those episodes are only a few minutes each, and you'll quickly see if this is a show for you.

You're supposed to be able to can watch it on Crunchyroll. The first season can be seen here. I have no idea why they have two separare pages for the two seasons.

unpronounceable fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first episode just reminded me that actual camping is a lot more miserable than it is moe.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Anyone know why CR is dragging their rear end releasing episodes of this beyond the first?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have no idea what's stopping them. I've heard that they sometimes don't finalize licencing details until hours before their announcements. Maybe they thought everything was in order, but then the publisher had other ideas.

I was looking on their forum to see if they had mentioned anything. They haven't, but some idiot thought it might have been because of the text scrolls that are on the TV broadcasts :laffo:.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I do appreciate how low-commitment this show is. Bite-sized relaxing cute bits are neat.

Seeing an actual OP for the first episode of season 2 was a bit jarring.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just got around to watching episode 6, another good episode. Aoi and Hinata plan a trip to climb Mount Fuji to watch the sunrise. There was also a special segment.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I gave up on CR ever getting the rest and started watching it elsewhere. Dear episode 3, please do not show people drinking water out of the ground without boiling it first.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Just finished episode 12 and this show is still loving dope. The Mt. Fuji stuff was really good. This must not end until these girls have conquered the world. I just want endless seasons of this.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah. And it's such a pleasant surprise that this is not the last episode.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
If anyone wants to climb Mt. Fuji, I believe they have a Yamano Susume tie in going on right now.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, the Mt. Fuji arc was really good. I liked how they brought back the first season's theme at the end there. The foreigners also had much better English than I would have expected.

Did anyone else notice the cameo in episode 12? If you missed it, I modified a screenshot.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
"oh hey posts in that thread, I guess CR must have finally got their poo poo together"

*checks*

"Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck".

Guess I'll watch it elsewhere.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Niconico douga's official stream is not region locked for some reason. It's not subtitled though.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The wealth inequality in this show is pretty huge. Aoi and Hinata live in massive houses while Kokona lives with her mother in a one room apartment eating half-off leftover bentos. In this week's episode we can even see that Hinata's bathroom is bigger than Kokona's apartment.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Zettace posted:

The wealth inequality in this show is pretty huge. Aoi and Hinata live in massive houses while Kokona lives with her mother in a one room apartment eating half-off leftover bentos. In this week's episode we can even see that Hinata's bathroom is bigger than Kokona's apartment.

It explains why Kokona is good at cooking; she's had to cook out of necessity. Even her comment about making her own yukata, while not meaningful on its own, means a lot given that context.

I found it really adorable how she wanted to be a firefly when she grew up though :3:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
The firefly costume was way too adorable.
And in the latest episode, we get the return of the Kaede-san special segment! :3:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I don't know what the holdup was, but CR finally got their poo poo together, and just released episodes 2-14. They'll be putting up new episodes on Wednesdays, starting tomorrow.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
gently caress yeah.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

By the looks of the new ending, that fifth character in the poster image will finally make her appearance in this arc. And another hurrah for CR finally getting the license sorted out.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Death to the new op, long live the old op

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
In this week's episode, they start their ascent of Mt. Tanigawa, and we finally get an in episode look at #5. What are the odds she'll remember Aoi as the one that's scared of heights?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

The show got so dramatic recently but the way the most recent episode ended confuses me. Is it already the end of season 2 or are they just being overly dramatic?

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Grilox posted:

The show got so dramatic recently but the way the most recent episode ended confuses me. Is it already the end of season 2 or are they just being overly dramatic?

There's one more episode.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Admoon posted:

There's one more episode.

And that's it folks!

Season 1: 12 episodes 3 minutes each
Season 2: 24 episodes 13 minutes each
Season 3: 48 episodes 23 minutes each

It's the only logical next step.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm not really sure how much more they can wring out of 'girls climb mountains'. Himalaya arc?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm not really sure how much more they can wring out of 'girls climb mountains'. Himalaya arc?

Kaede will take them on a trip there after they all go to the Alps.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Intermittently watching a couple episodes at a time, I finally finished this. It was relaxing and enjoyable the whole way through. I like that they made a new friend at the end. :3:

I would love more of this, but there aren't currently any plans for that, right? It seems the kind of thing that they'd be able to milk for a while yet if they cared to. It's not like there's much plot to run out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

An episode 25 OVA appeared, it really wasn't that good. Just a bunch of STDH shorts chained together and none of them have good comedic timing.

• Locked thread