Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
yeah morons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

baw posted:

yeah morons

Dumb idiots!

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
gravity is made up of gods little hands pulling everthing to where it needs to be

in ancient tiems it were called GRAB DIETY but then by laziness of modern man it became GRAV ITY

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chaosbreather posted:

hey. idiots. the higgs mechanism results in mass for elementary particles, not gravity for enormous clumps of particles.

gravity is made of time and mass. there is no gravity without both, and adding anything else produces no effect. therefore it must be made of time and mass.

and no the higgs mass is not the same as gravity mass. the higgs mechanism is for inertia and poo poo.

nah its god

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Same poo poo as what heat is made out of.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

When we see things, that is when they "happen". It's the relativity of simultaneity.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Yeah that's why it's called space-time because everything is bound by the speed of light. Information is bound by the speed of light.

You can SAY that the suns light is "8 minutes old" but really, it's been 8 minutes old for the entire existence of the solar system to us. You can also say we're 8 minutes behind, kinda.

OK, I guess I see. But I thought the fact that gravity had a speed was still relevant to calculations. Like, this is all well and good if we're describing things that are happening to us, within our single reference frame. But if we're here on earth looking out into space, and we're describing two bodies in two different reference frames that are interacting with each other, like the sun and Mercury, wouldn't the relativity of simultaneity not apply in this case? Or would it all even out once we take into account the amount of time it takes all the information to reach us?

Seriously, this poo poo is confusing.

redshirt posted:

Dumb idiots!

You called?

naem
May 29, 2011

Higgs' bosonn

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
i love it when the serious crowd turn up to a thread, they really improve it

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

happyhippy posted:

Same poo poo as what heat is made out of.

Heat is excited particles. Gravity is time and mass???? I don't like it. Not satisfactory. Besides there are still problems with our current models anyway

They're on Wikipedia I'm not gonna go get them tho

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

gender illusionist posted:

i love it when the serious crowd turn up to a thread, they really improve it

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SUCK IT NERD

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

seriously though everything is made of maths

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

No, really: Holograms.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I don't really remember much from whatever I saw on the Discovery Channel, but it said gravity is made out of a neon green wireframe that the Earth distorts because it is so heavy.

My personal theory is that everything in the universe is a TINY bit magnetic, but not as magnetic as magnets and metal (which is why metal is heavy).

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Entropic forces on bits of information at the cosmological horizon, acting holographically in the 4D space-time they encode.

This is also why the inertial mass is the same as the gravitational mass, because acceleration is already a temperature.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

mdemone posted:

Entropic forces on bits of information at the cosmological horizon, acting holographically in the 4D space-time they encode.

This is also why the inertial mass is the same as the gravitational mass, because acceleration is already a temperature.

Going with this even if it is another way of saying mass is bending space time

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Going with this even if it is another way of saying mass is bending space time

Mass is just areas where space-time bunched up enough to solidify into a physical object, everything is space-time vibrating at different frequencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
i cant tell if everyone in this thread is trolling but gravity has nothing to do with the higgs boson.

• Locked thread