Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

Has anybody had much experience with 70's ford trucks? I'm going to look at this 1973 f350 on Friday and was hoping for some advice on what all to look at.

It's got the FE 360 motor, which from what I've read should have about 200 hp and 320 torque. The original motor was 100 hp and 170 torque, so it should be a definite improvement in the haulin-rear end dept. The DRW axle is the perfect width, at around 82" from outside of wheels. It's probably a Dana 60, which should be a good axle with plenty of parts available. So it's got the simple mechanics that I want and plenty of power(?), and all I would need in theory to finish the project would be a straight front axle (or a conversion of my hubs?). This truck looks to be in pretty good shape, but what should I look at when I go to check?

A road test will tell me if brakes work, if it overheats, shifts well, rides nice, etc. Check the dip stick for lovely oil?

Real simple and easy to work on. The fuse box has 6 or 7 fuses in it if I recall.

They are great trucks, but I don't know anything about the automatics.

As far as brakes, even when they're working they barely work. It's drum all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

Really? Friend of mine had a '71 F250, and I could have sworn it at least had discs in the front. Wouldn't the 350 have better brakes on account of having a heavier load capacity? Or at least, not worse?

Drum brakes of the time as compared to disc of the time weren't "worse" for heavy duty applications. I think they went to disc fronts in like '72 on the F100s and there were disc front options on (2 wheel drive only maybe?) 250s/350s around then, but generally you wanted drums on heavier stuff.

There have been plenty of conversion kits and recipes over the years to swap these with modern discs that will kick the poo poo out of the 70s garbage brakes regardless of style.

• Locked thread