Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morby
Sep 6, 2007
gently caress Bama. gently caress Georgia. War Eagle, etc.

I like LSU and South Carolina just fine and usually root for them when they're not playing Auburn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
This WVU-Bama game seems like classic opening weekend in the Saban era. The offense will be lackluster and inconsistent, the defense will play decently in stretches and then lights out in other stretches, they will have decent enough special teams play, and they'll grind out a win. Then the fanbase will :qq: that they didn't win by 50 or something.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Raku posted:

This is exactly what I'm expecting, but with an extra thread of people wondering why Blake Sims starts instead of Coker and my dad telling me it's because everything is too politically correct

roll tide

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

TBH, a win for us would be coming out looking remotely competent and forcing Saban to play starters deep into the 4th.

An interesting matchup will be WVU's defense vs Bama's offensive line. If I recall correctly, the offensive line is being somewhat rebuilt. Combine a young unit with a QB (be it Sims or Coker) who doesn't have big game experience, and WVU might be able to take advantage. I have no idea, I could see this game being close early and then Bama taking over late in the 3rd quarter. Bama's defense will be good and they are returning a ton of starters from last year's team. If it's a situation where Bama's offense is completely sputtering, Bama's defense is good enough to carry them through.

I could see it being maybe a 35-28 or 35-21 final score. A good win, and just enough to make the fanbase flip out and proclaim that it's the end of the world.

As for Auburn-Arkansas, I expect Bielema to pull out all the stops. Arkansas should be a much-improved team, so I think this one will be pretty close. Arkansas returns a lot of starters from last year's team and has a good stable of RBs and a chip on their shoulder because they want to redeem themselves for last year (completely understandable). Auburn lost a few key contributors to the draft and graduation, and there are some guys like Kozan and Lawson who will miss significant playing time due to injury. The defense is banged up. I've circled this and @Kansas State as games that will set the tone for this season. If Auburn can start 3-0 (which would be difficult, but not impossible) that will say a lot.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Raku posted:

Is West Virginia's defense better in the front, or with the secondary? Because while QB is almost assuredly going to be down at Bama this year and I'm not sure about the O-line, the running backs and wide receiver corps are essentially war crimes.

I don't disagree about the talent at WR and RB, but if Bama gets one-dimensional and can't get good pass protection or good QB play that could be bad news. I mean, I doubt that their offense will be a complete train wreck a la Auburn 2012, but a lot of things still remain to be seen.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
San Francisco is great! LA is a shithole.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

CraigK posted:

You are going to lose to Auburn by 50 and I'm going to laugh for a week straight

I loving hope so. I cannot stand Bielema. Petrino was an rear end in a top hat, but the man knew how to coach an offense and make wizards out of his QBs and you had to respect that. Bielema hasn't done a goddamn thing in the SEC since he joined besides get in stupid slapfights with people and use a player's completely unrelated death to promote his stupid crusade against hurry up offenses. He's an abrasive dick and he hasn't done anything to justify it.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Tom Withers ‏@twithersAP 11s
Kent State says center Jason Bitsko was found unresponsive in bedroom of his off-campus apartment. Teammates were told at end of practice.

Do we know what happened yet? Like was it an illness or something related to an injury?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Basil Hayden posted:

The report on it I can find says "undisclosed medical issue."

:smith:

That's really terrible. Hope his family will be ok.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

This will never not be hilarious.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Lol at anyone who thinks teams like Auburn and Texas A&M have "old man football" offenses.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
If anybody wanted to hit Harvey Updyke in the face with a pie or dunk him in a dunking booth, now is your chance! And apparently it's for a good cause.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/report-harvey-updyke-plans-sit-dunk-tank-charity/

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Thoguh posted:

When did Harvey Updyke turn into Wilfred Brimley?

I want this man to talk to me about diabeetus.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

vikingstrike posted:

I've thought about it but just don't travel enough for it to be worthwhile. With DVR at home, I just record what I want and catch up when I get a chance.

My travel schedule always ramps up during football season. Luckily Auburn was good last year, so I was able to watch their games wherever I happened to be. In 2012, not so much. Following games on your phone with the ESPN app is a terrible experience, especially if you are out of the US.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Regnevelc posted:

My work is going to be like "Who the hell is using all of this bandwidth on the weekend" as I VPN in so I can catch a game.

Yes or alternatively being constantly disconnected from the lovely hotel Internet.

vikingstrike posted:

Not sure how it will work overseas, but with the SEC Network, I'm hoping that I can just use the Watch ESPN app whenever I'm travelling and not able to catch a game.

I haven't been able to get the WatchESPN app to consistently work when traveling within the US. It would be nice, though, definitely.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

I'm assuming that he or she will be traveling for business, not pleasure. That makes a difference.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

RumbleFish posted:

Brett McMurphy of ESPN's SEC blog asked each coach to describe his team in one word:

:allears:

Never leave us, SpurDog. :allears:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Jeremor posted:

I have a feeling Spurrier answered while quickly moving onto another point he was making. Like, "One word to describe our team? Ah well... we're decent I suppose, pretty decent, some good and some bad, well, just gotta see if we can throw the football around a bit out there... but yeah, we're a decent team." Something like that. I refuse to believe he gave it any thought whatsoever.

That is exactly what I imagined, except he is also on his boat because offseason.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I just now realized how piss easy Mizzou's schedule looks on paper when I watched the "SEC Preview". I think their toughest games may be against South Carolina and Georgia. Granted those are back to back games, but still!

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
My mom is an Alabama fan. I ended up getting a scholarship to Auburn and went there with no football interest at all. I ended up here. Football is pretty cool.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Scarf posted:

Grew up in Columbia SC. Entire dad's side of the family were rabid Gamecock fans, mom's side somewhat Clemson. Grew up primarily as a Gamecock fan with a few Clemson visits with childhood friends who were Clemson fans. My brother graduated Carolina, even had a cousin who played under Holtz.

It all changed when I went for a college visit to Clemson my junior year of high school...

That's pretty cool about your cousin! One of the reasons I'm predisposed towards liking USC is because my mom's side of the family is from Columbia. Their Heisman winner, George Rogers, went to church with my great-grandma and often visited her at her home during the time he was in school. My mom's sisters all went to USC, too.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I hear the Alabama QBs are not looking good in practice.

It's just gonna be a repeat of the year following McElroy's graduation. They'll play musical QBs until Coker (most likely) wins the job in game 3.

VDay posted:

They'd just fire Kiffin in that case. Saban would have to go like 0-12 for 3-4 years in a row at this point for people to even question potentially thinking about considering the possibility of maybe firing him.

LeeMajors posted:

Saban goes 0-12, toothless, webfooted motherfuckers will be picketing in the streets.

It is really hilarious when Bama drops a game or two and out come the "HAS THE GAME PASSED SABAN BY?!?!?" articles.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Raku posted:

Let me tell you about a place called Ole MIss

Seriously this. gently caress them on principle.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

The work done to Death Valley looks pretty amazing. LSU is such a cool team.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Moose King posted:

Well, it looks like Arkansas' season is already going downhill, burning all the way. And by "season" I mean "Brandon Allen's truck"

http://5newsonline.com/2014/08/25/police-razorback-quarterback-brandon-allens-truck-burned-in-apparent-arson/

The comments are pretty choice. Some guy made an offhand "Lol interception" joke and people got all pissy. "Not cool, man. His football life and his real life are completely separate".

Hope that dude has good insurance on that truck.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

I saw the final drive and this play literally right after walking back to our tailgate spot from the Nebraska game. My buddy's girlfriend's family from Georgia was in town to visit. It was amazing to see their reactions. I had to walk away so I wouldn't laugh in their faces.

I was the lone Auburn fan in a sea of Georgia fans. I was afraid of my car getting keyed. Still worth it!

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

limeincoke posted:

Just rewatched that Auburn-Georgia play. On like the 10th replay of it they show a side view where you can see the whole field. Despite having 8 DB's there was a Auburn receiver by himself like, 3 yards past the 1st down. Good thing for everyone Nick Marshal didn't see him, otherwise we would have been denied the greatest ending.

Yeah, the guy wide open was Sammie Coates who burned teams all season. In the huddle, Louis told Marshall to get him the ball and...well...:allears:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Auburn two-deep, a few surprises. Gabe Wright has moved to DE in Carl Lawson's absence. Trovon Reed made second string at his new position of CB. Converted RB Rudy Ford is starting over JUCO Derrick Moncrief at S. Daniel Carlson is pulling double duty as K/P.

Football is really happening.

What is wrong with Robinson Thereize? I'm gonna need him to play this year, because he is cool.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
So Arkansas people, how good is Eureka Pizza? They are running some kinda promotion if Arkansas beats Auburn.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/08/arkansas_pizzeria_will_offer_p.html

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

"Eligibility issues", which no one is officially elaborating on. Rumors arose in the past month or two about a failed drug test, and some are saying this might be a six-game suspension. Maybe PEDs? No one really knows.

Remember Justin Garrett was the expected starter at the position until he was sidelined by an injury and Therezie took the chance to shine. Garrett's supposedly back in camp superstar form so while I'd love the depth and flexibility of both, it might not be a huge issue.

I get what you're saying, but Therieze was a very pleasant surprise and it sucks to have yet another returning defensive starter out for an undetermined period of time. On a side note, how dumb/arrogant do you have to be to use PEDs or drugs when you know for a fact that you're getting regular piss tests? Like, there is virtually no way to bullshit one of those if they are actually being administered correctly without any advance warning.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
The Iron Bowl trophy is just some dumb crystal bowl. Some of that other stuff looks way more interesting/cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Blah blah blah fluff piece article about football fashion in Auburn but somebody actually made and is selling a shirt with a tree on it saying "Don't poison me, bro".

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2014/08/fall_football_fashion_auburn_f.html

I'm so glad football is in the air.

• Locked thread