Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Baylor Football. Bryce Petty. Antwan Goodley. KD Cannon. Shawn Oakman. New Stadium. 13 Days. I am beyond ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

I am also ready for the upset of the decade when West Virginia beats the poo poo out of the Crimson Tide opening week. Go Mountaineers.

Hell yes. Roll drat Moonshine.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dango Bango posted:

Reminder that there's college football this weekend.

(I don't remember who originally posted the link, otherwise I'd give credit.)

Oh gently caress you're right, I'll definitely watch that.

Football!!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

If we're doing that: If Baylor's where I hope they are on both sides of the ball, we top 60 points and hold SMU to under 20. Extra Point: KD Cannon scores a TD on a pass thrown by Bryce Petty.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

How does OU feel about their skill positions on offense, anyway? I'd gotten the impression that it's Knight at QB, Shepard at WR (No DGB until we hear otherwise), and maybe Bell at TE and a bunch of questions/assumptions otherwise - is that about right, or do I need to pay more attention? That's part of why I've been pretty bullish on them, and obviously Mixon going away doesn't help their case any.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zoran posted:

Do you know of any? The only recent incident (besides Mixon) that comes to mind was Trey Metoyer's indecent exposure charge last year, and he got kicked off the team for that.

Frank Shannon and some guy called DGB?

I mean, Shannon probably won't play and DGB shouldn't play, both due to suspensions, but still. Not exactly fantastic optics for the Sooners at the moment.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Well, Baylor better throttle SMU because if we gently caress up everyone's gonna see it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Edit: NVM.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 19, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

go3 posted:

dont forget we get to see the return of DAVID ASH BITCH and his all too likely exit on a gurney

I'm going to be legitimately depressed when this inevitably happens.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Wait, I'm confused, is something happening to Braxton Miller?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

go3 posted:

Braxton Miller for MORAL HEISMAN

I mean, hell, if AJ McCarron could come in second, why not?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sash! posted:

We're going to see UCLA vs Michigan State and Baylor vs Florida State in the playoff no one saw coming

Like hell no one sees that one coming - every team there's in the top ten. Now when UCF gets in there, that's gonna be a bold pick.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sash! posted:

But you KNOW it's going to be Florida State vs Alabama and Oklahoma vs Some SEC team and everyone else just goes ugh really

Nah, I just know Baylor's gonna be in there bruh. That's gonna be good enough for me. Especially if Oregon makes it too.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Wait why's OU a favorite now? I keep forgetting to ask

Because everyone who beats Bama's a favorite. That's how this works.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

anne frank fanfic posted:

WVU's gonna be a favorite?

Hell yeah.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AfterFather posted:

TCU is rotating QB's for the 1st game...

I am ready for you to look completely lost in an Air Raid offense Trevone.

How loving bad does Joeckel have to be for Patterson to start Boykin over him? Even Joeckel's even with Boykin or even a little worse, Boykin can do them way too much good at receiver not to put him there if you can help it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AfterFather posted:

From what Patterson is telling the media it looks like he has a turnover problem. He would have the starting job locked down if he could stop throwing interceptions. TCU defense is going to be good as usual.

My god, it's literally the same situation as last yeear. Right down to the group of TCU fans insisting that Patterson's just being SUPER SNEAKY and HIDING HIS TRUE GENIUS from OU and Baylor as though we've never seen either of his quarterbacks before. I'm going to laugh if they lose to Minnesota for lack of offensive coherence.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 19, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Thoguh posted:

This week is going excruciatingly slow. Why can't they have some early MACtion this Wednesday or something. I need a fix.

Likewise. That Redskins/Browns game just made me sadly reminisce on when RG3 and Johnny Manziel on opposite sides of the football would have been a recipe for a billion points before halftime.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Championship - Oregon vs Baylor :flashfap:

:flashfap::respek::flashfap:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

The deserts are pretty in their own way. Mainly at night. And in winter.

When I was with the Baylor band on our way back from the Fiesta Bowl, we spent a day at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. It was actually really pretty once you get over how loving hot it is. I thought the geography was really interesting, and the museum (really more of a zoo/controlled nature hike) had some really good views of some of the local wildlife. Got a pretty closeup view of some coyotes, visited a mockingbird house, etc.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

N: Kansas has apparently lost its first and second-string running backs to season-ending injuries today.

V: Ahahahahahaha, oh come the gently caress on, now. This is getting mean.

Edit: V - You got ninja'd, fucker.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 20, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Baylor/Texas Tech had a crazy fun first quarter that ended 21-20 for Baylor with lots of big plays by both teams. It got less interesting as it wore on and Baylor took more and more control though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Back in Waco for school. Took a walk along the river with my mother and a decent camera, got some great night shots of the stadium from an angle the media hasn't been showing a ton of. I'll probably post some later.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Here's some pics of McClane Stadium I took all by myself. It's really cool to see her all lit up in person. I think night's definitely its best time of day. Two of them were taken vertically and [timg] doesn't seem to like that, sorry.

I love seeing how bright the green glow is. That's going to be a really cool place to be right after Touchdowns.

I'll definitely take some more on gameday.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Minor update but Baylor IR Corey Coleman, who a lot of people are expecting to break out this year in Tevin Reese's place, pulled a hamstring a while back and has missed a lot of practice time, and it's unsure when he'll be back but it's beginning to look like he might miss some or all of our non-con slate alongside injured safety-net receiver Clay Fuller. While I'm glad Briles isn't going to rush him back if he can help it, and I'm also glad to see KD Cannon get more room to make his mark early, it does make me nervous. That's 4 really good receivers from last year we've lost for at least a while now in Reese's graduation, Robbie Rhodes' :420:, and now Fuller and Coleman's injuries. If ever there was a receiving corps that could eat those losses, this would be it, but it's hard not to worry. Even if Coleman's back for our second non-con game and Fuller's back for ISU, that seems like a lot of reps to lose. Really need Cannon and/or some of the less proven upperclassmen like Jay Lee or Lynx Hawthorne to break out early.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

Bill Snyder was a jerk to the press in the 90s. Like seriously hostile to the point where it became a bigger story with some people than the most amazing turnaround in college football history.

Not that that makes him bad, but he has been mean to at least some people in the past.

Considering we're talking about coaches being active scumbags, I think we'd need something more damning than that to go after Snyder.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

Oh it definitely doesn't, he was pissing off people like Jason Whitlock and utterly idiotic sports radio hosts. It was just the weirdest thing, like imagine if Baylor was way worse than they were before Briles went there and this year you'd be reading amazingly negative stories about him not disclosing injuries to the press instead of how good they were going to be.

Hold on, Baylor lost to Army at home pre-Briles. Are you implying KSU was worse pre-Snyder? Because, uh, wow.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MourningView posted:

By a lot. They had the most losses of any program in the history of college football when he took over.

drat. I knew they were the pits before Snyder, but I never knew it was that bad.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Thermos H Christ posted:

Ah, it's so good every time. The enraged fake army man who came to fight with weapon drawn gets absolutely blown up by a playground shove from an incredulous male cheerleader.

I just like how he backwards rolls and ends up on one knee with his sword planted dramatically in the ground like some half-baked anime character.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

In grade school and junior high I was a spergy as gently caress nerd who associated football with jocks and thus went out of my way to avoid it. In high school I was in marching band and thus had to be around both people and football a lot more and got slightly less spergy and slightly more into football as a result - although I think it actually hurt my football fandom that my high school owned bones at football, because we wound up blowing 90 percent of our competition to loving bits and we weren't in enough close games for me to bother learning anything more than the most basic concepts of football, like "first downs." Now I've worked my way into being vaguely competent around human beings and really into football. So I guess the moral is that football cures aspergers. Kind of. And it also owns bones.

Kind of.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

My father had no college allegiance, so he adopted TTU when I went there. He'll be joining me for half of my trips up to Lubbock this season.

It's funny, because my dad grew up a Longhorn fan and my mother a Sooner (though neither of them actually went to their favored schools), so college football Saturdays used to be a very solitary affair for them. Now they've been brought together by their newfound love for pointsgasms and Art Briles. :unsmith:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DJExile posted:

North Texas has new lids and they own

I am legit excited to see UNT vs Texas, because UNT's gotten a lot better under McCarney and I'm interested to see how they hold up against a Texas squad with a shaky offense and a new coach. That their helmets now own bones is a nice bonus.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Spacebump posted:

If North Texas somehow pulls the upset, they could go undefeated.

They probably won't, but I really want them to because my sister went there and would get a huge kick out of it and because this upset is probably about as likely as it's going to get for a long time and would make for some awesome schadenfruede.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 22, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Spacebump posted:

North Texas played with Georgia for a half last year. I have no idea if they have improved or regressed from last year but that game leads me to think that game wouldn't be impossible for them to win. Though I still think it would be unlikely.

Glancing back through Bill Connelly's preview, they lost their QB and best RB and WR, so it'll be hard for them to be good enough on offense to hang with what has the staff and players to be a salty Texas defense, and their own defense is youngest up front which isn't great when you consider that Texas will probably want to run on them a lot.

Still, stranger things have happened than a team with a new coach and lots of injuries/dismissals coming out flat on day one and getting surprised by a decent mid major.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dattserberg posted:

OSU beating FSU wouldn't be as big of a shock as the others I feel. I could certainly see that happening especially the first game of the year in Texas.

Nah, KSU over Auburn seems way more likely to me. OSU is starting over at tons of positions on both sides of the ball, and while I bet they'll be a good to very good team by the end of the year, I don't see any reason to take that upset over a KSU team with fewer questions beating an Auburn team that wasn't as good as FSU.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alouicious posted:

people really need to start differentiating schools with identical initials (OSU Ohio State/Oklahoma State, USC Southern California/South Carolina)

Don't people usually use tOSU for Ohio State?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

scar cocks.

cock scars.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

pillsburysoldier posted:

SoonerScoop.com ‏@SoonerScoop 2m
BREAKING: OU announces Dorial Green-Beckham's eligibility waiver has been denied by the NCAA. He won't play in 2014.

Genuinely surprised. I'd been bracing for worse.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Football happens today!

Go Bearkats, gently caress a Eagle.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Seven days, bitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Baylor student tickets went on sale today - online, for the first time. 8000 tickets got sold in like an hour. McLane is going to be rocking and these next 6 days are going to go so. loving. Slowly.

• Locked thread