Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Remember, Penn State vs UCF kicks off at 8:30 Eastern. For the west coast, this means you can justify drinking as early as...well I'm pretty sure you could just keep going from Friday night without stopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Yes, no "worst loss since the Kaiser was running wild" loss this season!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Northwestern Wildcats, Chicago's Big Ten Team(tm) are going to win the Big Ten

gently caress y'all

well I guess SOMEONE has to

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Northwestern should put this on their helmets

then just walk around the other team's defense because they're just going to be laying on the field with shattered minds

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Then bring football back, but down in D-III where they might as well not exist

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

pillsburysoldier posted:

Losses to season favorites:

Oregon starting LT
Auburn Carl Lawson and a starting OG
Oklahoma's best LB and Mixon
Ohio State Miller

We're going to see UCLA vs Michigan State and Baylor vs Florida State in the playoff no one saw coming

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Spiritus Nox posted:

Like hell no one sees that one coming - every team there's in the top ten. Now when UCF gets in there, that's gonna be a bold pick.

But you KNOW it's going to be Florida State vs Alabama and Oklahoma vs Some SEC team and everyone else just goes ugh really

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

So I'm in state college today, and was looking forward to trying one of those places that was featured on a Todd Blackledge segment.

Only to find out half of the road is shut down and couldn't go :smith:.

Still wow...Beautiful Area. Really need to go to a game here sometime.

Which road were they working on? You probably could have got pretty close then used your walking legs

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

One right in front of the Austrian Bistro. (which I really, really wanted to try).

I was really tired so I gave up.

A shame you didn't post that earlier. There's a parking garage right behind it that you can access from a road that isn't being worked on.

I had to fight the guy in there to get a to-go box. That was an odd night. Good was pretty good, although I'm not a fan of sauerkraut in general.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tampa dropped right before the split happened and it turns out that Boston University was never a IA team.

Aside from Pacific, those were the only ones I even knew off the top of my head that dropped football at any recent point.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Congress activates Selective Service, Navy obliterates everyone.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

there is virtually Zero, Zero with a Z chance of us beating Alabama

Where's your irrational hope?

You call yourself a football fan.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

West Texas owns, sorry.

No it doesn't. Everything west of San Antonio is basically a giant litter box full of scraggly little bushes

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Yes, how ugly.

Truly hideous.

You know that of the apparently billion square miles of West Texas, that's less than 1% of that region. When you don't cherry pick and just drop Streetview in a random spot, you get this http://goo.gl/maps/c1FzX

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

I'm sure there is beauty in central Pennsylvania too that none of us will ever know about

It's at least green.

Of all the states I've driven hundreds of miles across or observed from the window of a train, West Virginia or Western Virginia is probably the prettiest. South Carolina was the blandest. Western Ohio is the ugliest.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 20, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

I have been assured for some reason way more than is necessary are not antelopes:

I guess PRONGHORN AREN'T REALLY ANTELOPES is the American West version of KOALAS AREN'T REALLY BEARS?

Today I learned pronghorn aren't really antelopes.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

I-26 between Charleston and Greenville is a corridor of trees, topless cafe's (i.e. Cafe Risque'), tractor-trailers and fatal entrapments.

It is god-awful. And I didn't even mention Columbia being in the middle!

This is the part of South Carolina that made me declare it the blandest state!

All I remember between Columbia and Charleston is "pine trees" and "straight road."

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I've never seen the areas where they take the top off the mountains

They're pretty awesome. You stand there like Man versus Nature: The Road to Victory

Sash! fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 20, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I hate ESPN's power to be the king maker, because it worked.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm bothered by people that think they'll lift PSU's bowl ban. Unless they do it, like, tomorrow, I don't think it's going to happen this season.

I assume they have to announce that kind of thing before the season starts.

Oh look:

quote:

UCF's season opener in Ireland next week against Penn State may be in peril because of a possible volcanic eruption in Iceland.

Clearly the NCAA is using its volcano machine to prevent the not-bowl from happening!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Someone's going to shoot him with a gun.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Harvey Updyke is my favorite Civil War general

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

"Together" is the ultimate non answer.

Might as well have said "alive" or "breathing"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

We only cared about hockey.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Everyone in my family, in my generation, was born in a different city. In order to prevent confusion, everyone got things with their "home team" on it. So I got Redskins and Orioles.

Except Pens. Everyone got Pens.

College sports didn't exist.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

My father had no college allegiance, so he adopted TTU when I went there. He'll be joining me for half of my trips up to Lubbock this season.

My dad's family is from Texas, but is unaligned to any of the Texas schools. Seems kinda weird.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

JonathonSpectre posted:

The dude in the truck (long chin beard, rebel flag hat, angry squint) leaned out the window and bawled, "gently caress you! Georgia Bulldogs!" as he drove by.

I'm jealous that you met Early Cuyler

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TheGreyGhost posted:

age 7 while watching the 2002 NC

Did you get your parents permission before going online?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The last time Boise State went undefeated they beat like five ten loss teams, then got all proud of it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Alouicious posted:

their uniform incorporates the most garish flag in the United States so I love them for that

How dare you support the arms of a member of the Privy Council to the Crown of King James. Return post haste to the lands of England, lackey of the 1st Baron Baltimore, and leave this Union.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

If Alabama goes 7-6 I'll eat my hat*

*I don't own a hat.

There really should be some sort of hat eating thread where such things can be documented.

I made some sort of proclamation that if Rutgers or Maryland finishes third or better in their division that I'd buy and eat a cookie cake with a crow on it (provided that I could figure out how to get a cookie cake with a crow on it).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Damnit you're just going to give Jay Paterno the idea to spraypaint 409 in the endzone or something

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I still want to hear a game called by the robot that reads the weather to you when you call the airport for the weather.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Probably Magic posted:

Musberger loving sucks. I don't care if his voice sounds great, he consistently says the most banal things and his commentary sucks.

This is why I hate all commentators.

I'd be thrilled if I could just hear the PA guy.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It was better when you had Big East.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

For a battle that everyone died at, there sure are a lot of heroes from the Alamo.

Where I come from, we call guys that get routed "losers."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chump Farts posted:

Naw man, state's rights.

Oh, wrong argument.

Well...it was.

That right being the right to own slaves or a state's right to leave the Union (because they wanted slaves).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

chaoslord posted:

Go tell that to all these people down here that love the Confederate flag and do the whole "The South will rise again" thing. They aren't celebrating people who lost a battle, they're celebrating losing an entire war.

I do make fun of them.

I drive by a statue of a Confederate soldier (which is facing south so his back is turned on the North) that says "They died in the consciousness of duty faithfully performed" on it. Until a few months ago, my town had a law that new north-south streets had to be named after Confederate generals. Then go read the lyrics to Virginia's semi-official state song and make this face :stare: Some people just don't know when they're beat.

Although I shouldn't talk. We challenged the British to a rematch over a War of 1812 incident.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

gently caress ESPN for making me defend Michigan, but they sold 99% of their tickets. They make it out like the place is going to be as empty as an NFL Europe game.

Also I want to hang myself after reading the comments with SEC people being like OF COURSE NO ONE WANTS TO GO THE WEATHER SUCKS like people that lived in Michigan even bat an eye at those blistering cold 50 degree days.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

So I was reading this article about Penn State going to Ireland and apparently they had to fly over a color copier because no place near the team hotel had one. Is Ireland a third world country?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Who gives a gently caress how they want to sell tickets?

The problem is how stupidly expensive tickets for sports in general are

I love live sports, but the hell am I going to end up spending $500 total to go see Akron.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 28, 2014

• Locked thread