Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

gently caress yeah football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Quandary posted:

It's definitely not good, but you have to admit that OU made a hell of a statement suspending a 5* running back, in a season with no returning experienced backs, for a misdemeanor.

loving :laffo:

The fact that you bring up your running back depth in relation to what punishment a player got for assaulting a woman and potentially landing himself in jail for a year+ is pretty sad. The fact that you think it represents some kind of noble sacrifice by the OU football program given the other poo poo you guys have been involved in this offseason is just hilarious.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I've driven from Georgia to California twice, and north Texas was easily the worst part of that trip. Just nothing but green/yellow emptiness in every direction for hours, making you think about and question every decision you've ever made in your entire life. At least New Mexico had some hills and rock formations that I could look at.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

We lost one of our starting offensive linemen and more importantly a really good dude and im a loving wreck

FuzzySkinner posted:

Tom Withers ‏@twithersAP 2m
Kent State says football player has died in his sleep.

Well this sucks.

:smith:.

For some reason I assumed he meant lost to injury. That's pretty awful :smith:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

ACoolT5 posted:

I don't even get what this is going for.

It's a metaphor for humanity's cyclical nature.

By which I mean they're round.

Because they're fat.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The SEC is the best conference but they play old man football and are a bunch of dicks so gently caress them.

The Pac-12 is the secret best conference because our teams are fun to watch and the league is balanced enough that there are constant upsets.

The MAC is the secret secret best conference because they are all equally lovely, don't give a gently caress, and end up having the most ridiculous games.

Also the most important rule is that whatever school you decide to root for is perfect, but everyone else are a bunch of dirty scumbag cheaters who would sell their mothers for a title.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

89 posted:

Pac-12 sounds fun. I watch the Razorbacks and root for them because I live in Arkansas. Buuuuut....they're pretty terrible and most of the stuff surrounding the program seems depressing, so I wouldn't mind picking up a secondary team.

Denzel Washington came out to a UCLA practice today, proving that we are the objectively best team to root for.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Going to a college football game is all about enjoying yourself before the game and eating and drinking as much as you can legally handle. If the actual game turns out fun that's just a bonus.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Not exactly a surprise or anything, but the NCAA has formally filed the notice that they're appealing the O'Bannon decision.

Democratic Pirate posted:

This video sums up why going to college football games owns so hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuPeGPwGKe8
Yeah this is required viewing before every season. I always forget about how great the shot at the end is with Fry covering his ears while a photographer behind him does a 'gently caress yeah!' fist pump and then high fives the dude next to him. Just perfect.

VDay fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 21, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Will Styles posted:

He did the same for the PAC-12

David Shaw :smith:

Ah yes poor little Stanford :rolleyes: No one appreciates them, they just keep ranking them in the top 15 and treating them like one of the two best teams in the Pac-12.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
As someone who went to elementary, middle, and high school in Orange County, the idea of children being obsessed with college football teams is terrifying for some reason.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Georgia Tech done goofed:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/ncaa-investigation-cites-tech-for-failure-to-monit/ng7QD/?ecmp=ajc_social_twitter_2014_sports_sfp

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mahoning posted:

Where's the red box around 7.6 yards per carry?

The two boxes work better because the first one is like the body of the joke, and then the second is the punchline.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
There's Oregon State as well, but they basically never come up. Southern Cal/Carolina can be annoying though.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

LeeMajors posted:

If there is a god, Saban will go 7-6 and they will be calling for his head.

They'd just fire Kiffin in that case. Saban would have to go like 0-12 for 3-4 years in a row at this point for people to even question potentially thinking about considering the possibility of maybe firing him.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

That loving owns and I'm kind of jealous.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah Kaaya is pretty legit and has a chance to be a great QB, but is pretty raw because he hasn't been playing QB for that long. I think it makes sense that the Miami coaches have (apparently) decided to give him as much experience as possible.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

This is art.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Are you strong enough to be an Alabama Michigan fan?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

USC beat reporter posted:

LAPD re Josh Shaw: We have no record of anything involving him. .. Nothing to say.

What a weird situation.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man I am so god drat excited for football to finally start. I can't wait to join the legion of college football fans that are disappointed at the end of the season because their team failed to meet high expectations rather than just being kind of sad that we went 6-7 instead of 8-5.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Per Bruce Feldman on twitter: Shaw has admitted to the USC coaches that he lied about how he got his injury and has gotten a lawyer. Suspended indefinitely from all team activities.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

swickles posted:

I have a half-baked crazy theory that I kind of hope is true:

He hurt his legs doing something, maybe something stupid but since LAPD isnt involved not something illegal. He is afraid he wil.lose his scholarship and school won't pay for his health care, so he invents a PR friendly story so USC can tout him as a good guy and his scholarship and such remain intact. He doesn't realize that its going to be the big deal it is and has to come clean. Ultimately the bad guy in the story is the NCAA because a player lied because he feared losing his scholarship due to injury which the NCAA has no rules against.

Well for what it's worth he retained a criminal defense attorney, so it looks like a bit more than some weird misunderstanding. Also he says that he did injury his legs in a fall, so if he wasn't running from police but got a lawyer anyway then I don't know what the hell could've happened.

Also USC only gives out full 4-year scholarships now.

Also also I should refresh the page first next time.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I'm obviously biased as a UCLA fan, but I think this is still pretty funny considering how much ESPN used to hype Carroll's teams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNPqclXDgJY

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I never would have known about the extent of A&M's weirdness if I didn't post on SA, but the occasional weird thing pops up on like Deadspin or EDSBS.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Maxwells Demon posted:

Looks like USC might have another self-destructive season again. A Senior RB quit the team and called Sarkisian a Racist.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/8/28/6079443/anthony-brown-usc-steve-sarkisian-racist

Amazing. I can't wait to see how their high-tempo offense looks 5-6 games into the season.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
USC is down to 62 scholarship players after starting the year with only 68.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
There will be plenty once the game actually starts, but you can also watch it on watchespn.com if you have a provider that supports it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
TMZ has contacted Brown and asked him what happened to make him quit the team:

quote:

"I called a meeting up with this disrespectful guy!!! He called me a coward, all types of f**k words."

"He stereotype my mom and dad. like he belittle me to another level."

"I just responded Yes Sir and No Sir!"

"Never been treated like that before!! Don't Wish it upon anyone! That's who he is!"

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I just remembered today that Karl Dorrell is Vandy's OC.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

I'm glad people are finally learning how to use the interactive scrolling gimmick in neat ways instead of just having it change from one dumb background to another.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

wtftastic posted:

I have never bet on a sporting event and a labmate was trying to persuade me to do this.

As a UCLA fan I can tell you that we should definitely win by more than 21, but as a rational person I can also tell you to not bet on Week 1 football games when no one has any clue how good their team actually is. Also because gambling is evil or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Our starting center was out injured which didn't help, but yeah the O-line just looked alarmingly awful on a lot of plays.

To be fair I think your guy's D was also really solid and would have given us plenty of trouble even with Brendel in there. The obvious take-away from the game though was 'Holy poo poo UCLA looks awful on offense.' There are enough excuses (1st game, travel, time zone, blah blah blah) that I'm not completely panicking, but it sure isn't a very promising start.

Really glad we get a tune up against Memphis at home next week before travelling to Texas. If the Texas game was next week I'd pencil it in as a loss for sure.

VDay fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 30, 2014

• Locked thread