Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
this rather ownage article details all the ways that filthy rich fatcats from tech companies are destroying the essence of the burning man experience by having luxurious toilets, beds, paid servants (or 'Sherpas'), chefs, air conditioning and other such accommodations while the plebeians out in the playa supply their own toilet paper for the poo poo-covered porta-potties, live in a tent pounded into the ground with rebar, and the only chef they know is chef boyardee. so much for the sense of egalitarian, money-free community.

it was #1 on elite tech site Hacker News earlier this evening but then the man artificially threw it back off the first page because it had too much truth. look at its score and post time compared to articles surrounding it. (thread is here)

read and remember what jesus said about the rich and the eye of the needle. one love

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/21/fashion/at-burning-man-the-tech-elite-one-up-one-another.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

kill all techies

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
lol @ "ruined burning man"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

shiksa posted:

lol @ "ruined burning man"

No but you see it used to be ahahaha

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

burning man was probably ok when it was a couple dozen hippies smoking weed but i dont see the point when its 200k rich white californians jerking off

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
People who aren't idiots don't like living as if they are filthy hippies that just got evicted. Not really surprising.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

“If you haven’t been, you just don’t get it,” said the entrepreneur Elon Musk of Burning Man.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
maybe they're just trying to stop the man from burning :downs:

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

they should burn those men

Bondage
Jun 9, 2008

by Ralp
"Burning Man used to be okay" said the idiot

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I think it is pretty obvious to everyone concerned that Burning Man has always been for the bourgeois.

I knew a girl who posted Burning Man pictures on her Facebook and also posted after Mitt Romney's defeat "Well girls, say goodbye to your dream of finding that rich man of your dreams, because Obama is going to take away half of his money". Might be an extreme example but yeah.

Anyway, real psychonauts don't go Burning Man. They go to the closest park to the Walgreens where they bought their cough syrup, drink it in the bathroom, then wander around the park for three hours.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Those loving techies and their not wanting to poo poo in a communal bucket, do they think they're better than us? :argh:

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
lets bring back gooncamp. gooncamp will never sell out.

naem
May 29, 2011

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

burning man was probably ok when it was a couple dozen hippies smoking weed but i dont see the point when its 200k rich white californians jerking off

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
my friend was like "let's go to burning man next year"
and I'm like "sure. can we borrow my dad's rv? I'm not looking forward to pooping wherever those people poo"
and he's like "you can't bring an rv"
and I'm like "why"
and he's like "because it's like 100 degrees out there and if you have AC you're never going to leave"
and I'm like "I need somewhere to be when you're on ecstasy or acid or whatever you douche"
and he's just like it'll be good come on

anyway and then we never went to burning man because it's like hundreds of dollars or something. kind of wanted to see Serpent Mother though that thing looks dope.

Crotch Turtles
May 1, 2005

by Lowtax
burn all men

#patriachy

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
doesn't it cost like $500 a ticket lol

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
How do they sell tickets to a flat desert campground with no amenities or facilities whatsoever. How would they even restrict access?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Neo Duckberg posted:

what you mean burning man's for 50-something yuppies by 50-something yuppies? no waaaay

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Neo Duckberg posted:

banging sweaty, mosquito-ridden hippies and using saran wrap as toilet paper is a premium experience

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Neo Duckberg posted:

Yea lol

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

volvo give techies

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

"this is real expression maaaaan, oh and i have to get back to the office by monday i only have 10 days vacation"

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
popped a molly im sweating

naem
May 29, 2011

You can have sex with grubby 28 year old hippie girls wearing those Mexican horse blanket hoodies on any college campus anywhere especially if you can provide the mild narcotic of her preference I don't see why you'd drive to a desert to look at unemployed garbage sculptures for it

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
my father has been to burning man and I have not

that should put it into proper perspective

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

naem posted:

You can have sex with grubby 28 year old hippie girls wearing those Mexican horse blanket hoodies on any college campus anywhere especially if you can provide the mild narcotic of her preference I don't see why you'd drive to a desert to look at unemployed garbage sculptures for it

its all about the barren wasteland you can see as you descend on her grizzled vag doggy style like a plague of locusts

naem
May 29, 2011

Business Gorillas posted:

its all about the barren wasteland you can see as you descend on her grizzled vag doggy style like a plague of locusts

There is a terrible 3 year long drought on the west coast you can have this same experience daily out here right now lol

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008

WilltheMagicAsian posted:

they should burn those men

gotta admit this would be one way to reignite the spirit of burning man

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Burning Man and dumbass billionaires deserve each other. Hopefully the military decides to use it as a missile range while they're all there.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

wonder what kind of security the rich guy enclaves have

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
propose counter-protest event "damp woman" where you pour water over a wooden person-shaped effigy

naem
May 29, 2011

There is a whole subclass of fake blonde wannabe trophy wives looking for nerd money hanging out in techie neighborhoods, I could see this as another angle to advertise themselves.

It's going to be great fun the next 2 to 5 years as the first wave of post ipo divorces happen and those now 32 year old women go on a west coast gently caress frenzy with their half of the nerd millions

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i don't know why we don't just kill the rich and redistribute their wealth already

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Suck it, poor people.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

i don't know why we don't just kill the rich and redistribute their wealth already

because were really good posters

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
we don't use proper grammar, punctuation or capitalization!!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Moridin920 posted:

Killed communism now we have to live (sort of) with them forever.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Hey, don't talk poo poo about burning man! Some of my most insufferable hipster acquaintances are going this year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The Casualty posted:

Hey, don't talk poo poo about burning man! Some of my most insufferable hipster acquaintances are going this year!
eh it's been that way for awhile, i think it's just more noticeble now since social media is more prominent this year so every retard faux-yuppie white kid can post a zillion things about it before and after and youdontgetitmanitissospiritual whereas previous outlets were more limited.

i've never been but it probably was actually cool back in the 90s tho it seems like a waste of money and time to drive all the way out to the desert to do drugs, run around naked, and look at crappy art: you can do that right here in SF (which is where a lot of them come from anyways)

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 21, 2014

• Locked thread