Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
e: nevermind this poo poo is idiotic. god isn't real.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Moridin920 posted:

e: nevermind this poo poo is idiotic. god isn't real.

How loving terrible was this post that this one, THIS ONE is the one you thought was too far? I mean compared to all the uninteresting poo poo you've posted to date what made this one the bridge too far?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Look, the most basic commandment of the religion of the Nazarene is to make scientific inquiry into the workings of the Creator's universe. Science is a fundamental principle of Christianity and belief in the God of the New Testament is absolutely required of any man of science who wishes to remain at all consistent.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Boogaleeboo posted:

How loving terrible was this post that this one, THIS ONE is the one you thought was too far? I mean compared to all the uninteresting poo poo you've posted to date what made this one the bridge too far?

It's not that, it's just that I wasn't sure if I was replying to a sarcastic post slash joke or not and then I realized the futility of reasonable debate with people who believe in magic.

I was going to say that people in S America were charting stars, building pyramids, and had indoor plumbing while euros were barely mastering fire and it's literal insanity to say that christianity is the well spring of science.

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
lol @ if you're dumb enough to argue with christians like they'll ever not believe in invisible moon men

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bigzak posted:

lol @ if you're dumb enough to argue with christians like they'll ever not believe in invisible moon men

yeah pretty much

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
unicorns are real. i rode one. feck off

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

So you, nominally, don't think of yourself as a retarded person and it took you this long to realize that the central tenet of religious faith is belief without proof, and thus no logical argument actually works very well at refuting religious belief?

WHY don't you think of yourself as a retarded person again? It's not like this is a particularly shocking or unexpected side to theistic debate. It's sort of the page one, line one of the entire boring and endlessly repeating rambling discourse. One group of people sees no proof of God and doesn't believe, the other sees no proof of God and does. How do you get this far into the conversation in multiple threads to only just now go "Oh wait, nobody on the other side actually cares about anything I have to say"?

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
Well you see, this is why you should believe in god

*writes 40 paragraphs*

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Boogaleeboo posted:

So you, nominally, don't think of yourself as a retarded person and it took you this long to realize that the central tenet of religious faith is belief without proof, and thus no logical argument actually works very well at refuting religious belief?

WHY don't you think of yourself as a retarded person again? It's not like this is a particularly shocking or unexpected side to theistic debate. It's sort of the page one, line one of the entire boring and endlessly repeating rambling discourse. One group of people sees no proof of God and doesn't believe, the other sees no proof of God and does. How do you get this far into the conversation in multiple threads to only just now go "Oh wait, nobody on the other side actually cares about anything I have to say"?

Because I grew up in a religious family and questioning my beliefs and doing research caused me to change my opinion, and I like to think that most people would enjoy seeking truth instead of sheltering behind their voodoo beliefs for all time.

It's not like you are born either a god believer or not, everything is learned. Besides arguing my side allows me to develop my position and make sure I know what I'm talking about and not just going 'lol I'm an atheist' just to be contrary and being just as ignorant of philosophy and history as the average religious person.

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
in all honesty, i'm actually not religious, i'd say im more spiritual

*cashes unemployment check then buys weed*

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Stoatbringer posted:

God is, by definition, an atheist.
Check and mate, QED. :smuggo:

There is nothing more that can be said. Holy poo poo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Because I grew up in a religious family and questioning my beliefs and doing research caused me to change my opinion, and I like to think that most people would enjoy seeking truth instead of sheltering behind their voodoo beliefs for all time.

All evidence to the contrary? You are basically just another iteration of "No, gently caress you dad" rebellion. Nothing particularly compelling or well reasoned about your beliefs or how you present them. Case in point

quote:

Besides arguing my side allows me to develop my position and make sure I know what I'm talking about

You failed miserably and had to fail back on 'lol god isn't real'.

Just pack this poo poo in, nobody on the other side is listening, and nobody on either side is interesting.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Boogaleeboo posted:

All evidence to the contrary? You are basically just another iteration of "No, gently caress you dad" rebellion. Nothing particularly compelling or well reasoned about your beliefs or how you present them. Case in point

You failed miserably and had to fail back on 'lol god isn't real'.

Just pack this poo poo in, nobody on the other side is listening, and nobody on either side is interesting.

well actually I blew my load in the other identical thread about this subject and didn't really feel like doing the exact same effort posts in this thread and citing all that poo poo again but thanks.

I guess no one can question prevailing beliefs without being a 'no, gently caress you dad' teenager. And why the gently caress are you even in the thread then if you think the whole thing is boring? Is someone putting a gun to your head making you read it over and over lol

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
if you talk at boogaleboo you only have yourself to blame

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

if you talk at boogaleboo you only have yourself to blame

slowly figuring that out

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

It's not like you are born either a god believer or not, everything is learned. Besides arguing my side allows me to develop my position and make sure I know what I'm talking about and not just going 'lol I'm an atheist' just to be contrary and being just as ignorant of philosophy and history as the average religious person.

see this is a good response imo.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

It's not like you are born either a god believer or not, everything is learned.

Actually, you are born either a stumpy untermensch or a cool sex-haver, which does determine whether or not you should be a god believer. Some people take a while to figure out which they are, though.

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
i'm going to need a detailed dissertation on why you don't believe some old rear end book written by dirt farmers 3000 years ago. why can't you explain this? are you an rear end?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

slowly figuring that out

You're slow at a lot of things, aren't you?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tautologicus posted:

see this is a good response imo.

thanks, I've also enjoyed your posts

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIhwYVw6P4E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU