Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Kyrie eleison posted:

but a lot of people just hate religion for the same reason people have always hated religion, it tells you to be a good person and respect all human life, even if it's not the most pragmatic/consequentialist outcome for yourself or society

which religion are we tolkein about here, theres a whole lot of them and not all of them say that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Please go to church

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I have developed my own system of ethics but my revelatory impulse comes in the form of mocking internet posts

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Kyrie eleison posted:

i am certain atheists exists, i'm saying that some atheists have a spiritual side (which i would consider the same thing as a religious side) and that others have turned against their spiritual side in a way that results in evil ideology.

oh okay I can agree with that

but you also have to agree that "spiritual" in no way means "religious", they might serve analogous functions but they are not the same thing. religion means a belief in a higher power, whatever that may be. spirituality just means, idk if this is the dictionary definition, I think a concrete meaning for the term would probably prove elusive and I don't think most people have any more than a nebulous idea of what it means, but I reckon most people would agree that a reasonable estimation of the meaning of "spirituality" is a belief in the intrinsic value of certain things, IE the opposite of nihilism. I think most people's spirituality includes a certain value in human life, for example, even though objectively it has no more value than whatever we choose to give to it.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

MotherFuckingT-REX posted:

I have developed my own system of ethics but my revelatory impulse comes in the form of mocking internet posts

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
please continue to poo poo on this thread because it deserves it but I am compelled to real talk in it rn because I am high, tia

Kyrie eleison posted:

atheism definitely does deprive you of the 'respect for life' which is at the core of christianity.

also this is a load of poo poo. if you really think this you are a nut.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I didn't read your post OP but I saw you typed all those words on the internet, perhaps you should move out of your parent's house so you can get a different perspective?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

oh okay I can agree with that

but you also have to agree that "spiritual" in no way means "religious", they might serve analogous functions but they are not the same thing. religion means a belief in a higher power, whatever that may be. spirituality just means, idk if this is the dictionary definition, I think a concrete meaning for the term would probably prove elusive and I don't think most people have any more than a nebulous idea of what it means, but I reckon most people would agree that a reasonable estimation of the meaning of "spirituality" is a belief in the intrinsic value of certain things, IE the opposite of nihilism. I think most people's spirituality includes a certain value in human life, for example, even though objectively it has no more value than whatever we choose to give to it.

thanks for understanding and yeah i think your post is pretty much right on. the point is that spirituality is a core part of our being that influences us towards higher purposes. the reason i say it is religious is that i think we draw a lot of spiritual influence from various religions including christianity, because they are the sources of spirituality in human history passed down from prior generations.

also you are not the only high person in this thread

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

I didn't read your post OP but I saw you typed all those words on the internet, perhaps you should move out of your parent's house so you can get a different perspective?

lol i wish i still lived at my paretns
also that my family wasnt like mostly dead

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Kyrie eleison posted:

thanks for understanding and yeah i think your post is pretty much right on. the point is that spirituality is a core part of our being that influences us towards higher purposes. the reason i say it is religious is that i think we draw a lot of spiritual influence from various religions including christianity, because they are the sources of spirituality in human history passed down from prior generations.

also you are not the only high person in this thread

No, spiritual traditions, by necessity, predate religious traditions. Organised religion is a way of codifying what is important to a society.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
also I don't want anyone to think I am a deviant drug user I am only high because I took painkillers due to injury :ohdear:

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Abandon posted:

So heres the skinny http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...ld-9681549.html

is this proof if more proof were needed that atheism is a pernicious current in society because peopel confuse religion with like basic humanistic moral values (. i have witnessed other atheists thinking theyre ridiculing religous people for their religion when they;'re actually attacking their notion of moral law), arguably the building blocks of a civilised society, and start morally reasoning in a realy inhuman and lets face it really weird way. what is this society he claims to be at the service of. there is clearly something underlying why he says these things and its not pure logic

max weber the protestant ethic and the spirit of capitalism (i've only read like the first chapter so correct me if im talking poo poo) talks about how capitalism originaly derives from the moral values of calvinism whioch has this same anti-moral-prescriptiveness thing because due to concept of predestination they (v. early on, by all acounts calvinists mellowed out over the centuries i dont know any calvinists and i gues i;m not given over to having deep theological conversations so much anyway) thought that if you were a good (that is it pleases god to make you one of the elect) person then you would have a lot of material success in life and so basic material wealth is a prime virtue in itself. and conversely anyone who fails to controbute to such people accumulating material wealth is bad.

so i mean i was brought up with these kind of calvinist values by my staunchly atheist father so i;m accustomed to the idea of atheists retaining stongly felt moral values that find their origin in old religios tenets. theres secular humanism as well which i guess is like trying to retain the (originally renaissance catholic) concept of humanism but have that moral philosphy not be informed by religion

so yeah what i was rambling in the general direction of saying was: is this guy anexample of how you can't base moral philosopgy on atheism because then you choose whatever moral framework comes to hand which is probably the one where you don't have to lift a finger to help anyone and u can be as privileged as poo poo and not care maybe?? or worse does atheism just make you value inhuman (or utilitarian, is that inhuman?)considerations over human ones. like he looks like he's doing

does valuing something abstract and inhuman over the human make you insane. who's worse when they do that, capitalists or religious zealots

I did not read a word of this

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

also I don't want anyone to think I am a deviant drug user I am only high because I took painkillers due to injury :ohdear:

You don't need painkillers for masturbation injuries.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

No, spiritual traditions, by necessity, predate religious traditions. Organised religion is a way of codifying what is important to a society.

i won't disagree with this and also i'll take back my statement that atheism inherently deprives you of a 'respect for life', that was a troll statement really. but a lot of atheists do not respect life and a lot of anti-religious ideology opposes respect for life.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Kyrie eleison posted:

i won't disagree with this and also i'll take back my statement that atheism inherently deprives you of a 'respect for life', that was a troll statement really. but a lot of atheists do not respect life and a lot of anti-religious ideology opposes respect for life.

ISIS exists.

Abandon posted:

why doese everyone think this is a troll thread. its serious. my post sare always seriuous posts

no one thought it was a troll thread

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 21, 2014

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
why doese everyone think this is a troll thread. its serious. my post sare always seriuous posts

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

ISIS is not motivated by the higher ideals of islam, it is motivated by political ideology that is supported by islamic scripture. i consider jesus the ultimate moral authority and i think islam has some core problems, but there are plenty of practicing muslims who are able to see the good aspects of the religion and discard the bad. ISIS is the opposite of that, it's basically a satanic force masquerading as a religious one, which is how that often goes.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

P. sure this whole "respect for life" argument is just a semi-cunning way of saying "I don't like abortion but I know I'm going to get shitpounded if i outright say it here"

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
its the opposite

AND ALSO note how dwakins trots out the foetus/embryo/whatever isnt a person argument. thats an argument that doesnt stand up to the most basic inquiry. do nt you think that lying to yourself and then making a moral jusdgement thatdecides whether somebody lives or dies based on that is sort of like siomething that a psycho killer would do

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Abandon posted:

its the opposite

AND ALSO note how dwakins trots out the foetus/embryo/whatever isnt a person argument. thats an argument that doesnt stand up to the most basic inquiry. do nt you think that lying to yourself and then making a moral jusdgement thatdecides whether somebody lives or dies based on that is sort of like siomething that a psycho killer would do

Lol if you think an embryo is capable of the same physiological or existential suffering as a born human

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Kyrie eleison posted:

ISIS is not motivated by the higher ideals of islam, it is motivated by political ideology that is supported by islamic scripture. i consider jesus the ultimate moral authority and i think islam has some core problems, but there are plenty of practicing muslims who are able to see the good aspects of the religion and discard the bad. ISIS is the opposite of that, it's basically a satanic force masquerading as a religious one, which is how that often goes.

but see to ISIS what you consider to be the true "ideals of Islam" does not matter, and what you think about jesus matters even less. if you're going to arbitrarily decide that some people's religion isn't religion because it doesn't fit in to your worldview of how religion is good, then that isn't just logically fallacious, it's utterly delusional.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

respect for life is dumb, a lot of life is bullshit

respect for human beings on the other hand

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

fascism apologist also proponent of eugenics. shocking.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

Quickscope420dad posted:

Lol if you think an embryo is capable of the same physiological or existential suffering as a born human

thats a weird definition of humanity

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
You should be able to kill infants

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Some people are dicks and some people aren't, and this fact transcends all race, gender, nationality, religious / political / cultural affiliations.

You can be a religious dick or an atheist dick. Saying someone's dickness is a result of their non/religiousness is just loving terrible

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Abandon posted:

AND ALSO note how dwakins trots out the foetus/embryo/whatever isnt a person argument. thats an argument that doesnt stand up to the most basic inquiry

no argument does, its impossible to argue anything because literally any opinion will be destroyed by the most basic inquiry

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

Abandon posted:

thats a weird definition of humanity

Life is suffering and let this earth lay fallow

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

but see to ISIS what you consider to be the true "ideals of Islam" does not matter, and what you think about jesus matters even less. if you're going to arbitrarily decide that some people's religion isn't religion because it doesn't fit in to your worldview of how religion is good, then that isn't just logically fallacious, it's utterly delusional.

you're being kind of confrontational, i'm trying to respect islam as a religion by pointing out it has higher values which are good in nature, and that ISIS chooses to ignore them and instead choose the most violent/political aspects. a lot of muslims draw spiritual strength from islam which is good and legitimately makes them better people and they are welcome members of human society, but anyone who uses islam as a tool to behead lots of people in today's world has clearly gone off the deep end.

i'm defending religion as a concept against those who think religion needs to be done away with altogether. religion has a great deal of value because it connects us to our past and to the highest values of our past. we should draw inspiration from the higher values as much as we can in order to satisfy our own lives and set groundwork for the future.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Kyrie eleison posted:

you're being kind of confrontational, i'm trying to respect islam as a religion by pointing out it has higher values which are good in nature, and that ISIS chooses to ignore them and instead choose the most violent/political aspects. a lot of muslims draw spiritual strength from islam which is good and legitimately makes them better people and they are welcome members of human society, but anyone who uses islam as a tool to behead lots of people in today's world has clearly gone off the deep end.

i'm defending religion as a concept against those who think religion needs to be done away with altogether. religion has a great deal of value because it connects us to our past and to the highest values of our past. we should draw inspiration from the higher values as much as we can in order to satisfy our own lives and set groundwork for the future.

I agree with you that religion is important and good. Choosing to pretend that the bad aspects of it don't exist is a poor way of making that argument, however.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

MotherFuckingT-REX posted:

You should be able to kill infants

I unironically agree, infants are basically non-human animals.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
why cant we beecock threads

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

I agree with you that religion is important and good. Choosing to pretend that the bad aspects of it don't exist is a poor way of making that argument, however.

i don't think the bad aspects don't exist, i think that people should make theological arguments to discard the bad elements as they always have throughout history. jesus is the clearest example of this to exist because he overturned a lot of bad theology by appealing to the higher values in scripture and in spirit.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Hogge Wild posted:

why cant we beecock threads

? what

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Kyrie eleison posted:

i don't think the bad aspects don't exist, i think that people should make theological arguments to discard the bad elements as they always have throughout history. jesus is the clearest example of this to exist because he overturned a lot of bad theology by appealing to the higher values in scripture and in spirit.

And I agree that they should, but they don't (always), so you can't just say that only non-religious or anti-religious ideology is irreverent to the value of life, nor can you say that ISIS is not a religious group just because you don't like their religion.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

self styled catholic intellectuals/philosophers are probably the most-deserving-of-mockery people on earth. for evidence see a confederacy of dunces

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Wow, this thread took a sharp turn to fagsville real quick.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Hobohemian posted:

Wow, this thread took a sharp turn to fagsville real quick.

Happened at the thread title

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

And I agree that they should, but they don't (always), so you can't just say that only non-religious or anti-religious ideology is irreverent to the value of life, nor can you say that ISIS is not a religious group just because you don't like their religion.

i agree that people use religious ideology in a way that is against life, but i oppose such interpretations and i continue to support the higher values of religious teaching against those who think the solution is to abolish religion altogether.

it's late and i have to sleep now but i enjoyed the discussion, cheers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Ocean Book posted:

congrats on misunderstanding literally everything worth understanding about human history and the development of society

Educate me then. What have I misunderstood exactly?

• Locked thread