Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ernie. posted:

Yes yes yes yes best Wes Anderson yet

What no way.

Also I'm in because I love me some goofy Wes antics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ernie. posted:

I am willing to argue this to death once I'm near a computer

The only other movie that I'd classify as transcendent was the royal tenenbaums but you can't really compare the two movies unless you're talking about how Wes Anderson's style affected them

1) Life Aquatic
2) Rushmore(personal favorite)
3) Royal Tenenbaums
4) GBH
6) Fantastic Mr. Fox
7) Darjeeling Limited/Hotel Chevalier
8) Bottle Rocket
9) Moonrise Kingdom

your move.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Dick Hallorann woke with a start. All night, he had been plagued by strange dreams, dreams of the old hotel. That was nothing new, hardly a week had gone by in the last decade where he didn't have nightmares about what happened. This, however, was different.

This was new.

Dick rolled out of bed with a groan. His axe wound never hurt so bad as right when he woke up, like it was telling him to stay in bed. Somedays he listened to it, but you couldn't live your life that way and still call it living. Grabbing the sturdy oak cane from beside his bedside, he hobbled his way over to a dresser made from the same wood as his cane, from back when he did that sort of thing. With a tremendous effort, Dick knelt down, his knees popping off like it was the Forth of July. Pulling open the drawer and pushing aside a couple layers of ugly sweaters, he saw it and his heart stopped. There at the bottom of the drawer was a small badge, faintly illuminated by some unknown power. "God drat," he whispered, "after all this time."

The Shining had called him back to the force. The glowing badge could only mean one thing, ghosts in a hotel. Not on his watch. Not again. He stood suddenly, strengthened by the power of The Shining. He twirled his cane through a series of combat forms before snapping the thick wood in his hands and throwing it aside. He wouldn't be needing it again, Dick knew this was probably a one-way trip. He walked over to the phone and dialed instinctively dialed a number he couldn't have known.

"Hello, Grand Budapest Hotel? I'd like to make a reservation."

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Opopanax posted:

You're a significant other

I died. I'm ghostpostin'

:siren: GHOST FOUND :siren:

##vote Opopanax

oh my god I'm so good at this game.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Rarity posted:

##vote Somberbrero

ghost spotted.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I am putting a $100 bounty on any ghosts. Find me a ghost and that $100 is yours.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Your Personal Muse posted:

You know who have OOT communication about the game?

Masons, perhaps. So let's vote meinberg.

This is the most awkward + ghosty post of this thread so far.

##vote Your Personal Muse

"ah hmm a thing happened. shall i... comment on it?"

YPM answer 1) how you died 2) whether or not your seek [vengeance/retribution/jack nicholson] in the afterlife?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
the problem with GBH is that the central plot isn't actually very interesting and mostly serves as an excuse to transition between various settings. the film is carried by anderson's typically impressive visuals and almost universally excellent performances. by no means is GBH close to being a bad movie, but i feel like the writing is lacking any actual impact or message. i should see it again, but at the end i walked out of the theatre thinking 'what was i supposed to take away from that?' i'm not even sure if the characters really develop bc the problem with having eight hundred different talented actors on screen is that if you spend more than two minutes of screen time on any given one, someone gets left out.

i mean ralph fiennes is more or less exactly the same for having gone through prison.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
1) ypm took that threat seriously, that's weird

2) magnus shoot whoever has the lowest postcount at the end of the day(yourself) :getin:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

That's dumb, laziness isn't scummy.

You should vig yourself for bad strategy

A bad post. Laziness isn't necessarily scummy(it kind of is though) but neither is bad strategy(it kind of is though).

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

You're a bad post.

But hey, that was my whole point. Way to read into things.

Do you really think I expect him to shoot himself?

Yeah I misread that initially but you're getting pretty defensive here.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Yeah.

I'm also a vig, everyone please give me your money or I will shoot you. :mrgw:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

KUMBO you passed the test congratulations, your reward is to give me $100.

haha, I just realized those posts by mills make more sense now.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Magnus Gallant posted:

You are not a vig. Only me.

I septuple-dog-dare you to shoot me Magnus.

Hal Incandenza posted:

SOMBO I feel like you are making awkward posts here and trying to create issues that don't exist.

Day one. This is pretty much always how I play because the alternative is to sit around until deadline.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Wait, what happens to your money when you die?

we need to set up some kind of bank here.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Well, I don't know for sure because DBD hasn't elaborated yet, but I would think that dead people money would disappear. The only system I could think of that would work would be

a) for one person, nominated by the thread, to hold funds during the night and redistribute them the next day. this person would be obviously protected by a doc as possible.

b) everyone sending funds to one of two people nominated by the thread, who would then redistribute the following day. this would force scum to try and kill one of those players, thus allowing us to have some kind of influence over the night kills. best case scenario scum say "gently caress that" and we get to keep our money.

actually i think the second system might be a really really good idea. I nominate kumbo and ernie. i want to see what the store looks like before this happens though.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Magnus Gallant posted:

Whoever is the consensus for the money is probably gonna get whacked. Plus I don't trust us to not pick a scum by accident

Presuming a role that goes through doc protection seems specious at best KB.

Here's why this is a good idea:

If a player dies in the night, whatever money they had is lost is addition to any future funds they would receive. This is bad! I am guessing, having not seen the shop yet, but I feel strongly that money could be a huge edge.

Obviously there is some potential for abuse, but not as much as it might seem! If we all give our funds to one of two players, that allows us to exert a huge amount of pressure over the nightkill. Scum don't want us to get powers so they want to keep that money from recirculating back into the town. However whoever they target might not have much money at all, or they might be doc protected since the doctor has a strong incentive to protect one of those two. It's puts them into a very difficult position where they have to choose between using their kill suboptimally or allowing town to hold onto their cash. Say that a scum does end up holding onto the funds, if they don't give it back that makes a lynch easy. Even if that scum dumps the funds to another player, I think scum would probably get diminishing returns from powers as compared to town. Honestly influencing the nightkill is worth it alone imo.

If there was some way to enforce participation it would be even stronger. Maybe if each banker confirms how many deposits they've received before thread close and then they scramble it by sending cash back and forth between each other?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

GulagDolls posted:

I agree with this incredibly long sequence of words about an incredibly important issue. I genuinely enjoyed reading all of these words, and at no point did my brain try to escape from my skull while doing so. I love words. I love to rub words all over my body. words. Did anyone ever watch Scooby Doo because I love Scooby Doo.

:) if you give money to people is good town is bad scum :)

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ernie. posted:

in reality what somberbrero is suggesting is bad for town because

a) it forces town to come to consensus for yet-another-vote
b) it gives scum much more direction
c) it endangers the most trustworthy people in the town when they hold all that money

a) you mean it forces people to play the game, yes.
b) that's good though! it's town making a choice that the scum have to respond to.
c) so don't give it to the trustworthy people. give it to the shittiest. use a lottery system. go down the player list. doesn't matter, also the point is that it doesn't really endanger those people because it's a poo poo proposition for scum to guess.

i know that most people probably won't participate but the puzzle of how to best use our cash is interesting to me and i think it could be really beneficial.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
yeah sorry, I guess this is probably distracting since we haven't seen the store yet.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Magnus Gallant posted:

What if a scum gets the money from everyone then instead of giving it back they claim they got it stolen.

Or scum have a watcher they watch the person holding the money, bam they know who the doc is.

then we lynch them.

even if the scum have a watcher(what?) then they have a 50% chance of watching the right player, presuming only one person visits them, presuming that player is the doctor, and presuming the town doesn't have a watcher who can make their odds of a successful night even shitter.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Magnus Gallant posted:

Mills is trying to do that but you pay him 100 dollars and then vote who he says.

But really guys we are getting sidetracked.

I think somber is scum.

Look at how he tries to poke at Hal and cast suspicion on him like he believes he's scum, then he ditches that to go on a random tangent about centralizing the towns cash.

I want to yell at you but at least you're playing mafia.

also haha we have no idea how money transfers work. hey DBD what's up with that?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Honestly though, gently caress meta arguments.

Ernie, why did you give away your money to a rando?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mills posted:

There's one obvious reason.

Therefore vote Meinberg.

You are tedious.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Ugh, now there's two of them?! Even GHOSTS are better than this!*

*no they're not, dick hallorann hates ghosts

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Opopanax posted:

Hey. Hey Somber

:ghost:BOO

Prepare to taste The Shining, you gross rat ghost.

Magnus shoot him please. I'll pay you $100.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mills posted:

I legitimately think Ernie is scum and would be happy to answer any questions on this.

Therefore, tediously, vote Meinberg.

How do you think Ernie died and why is his spirit trying to communicate with us?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Magnus Gallant posted:

Answer this somber when you get a chance. Sooner rather than later

Phone posting but it was a joke you goon. I have no idea whether or not you have a vig, I would guess no because I doubt you could keep it in your pants this long.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Gonna write a post about how Mills should get slain at some point but in the meantime why don't you vote him? Ty & Godbless.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Opinions RE: money giving

I don't like it. I have a 100% chance of keeping it in town hands if I keep it and a ~65% chance of keeping it in town hands. It seems stupid.

I don't like Ernie at all.

You explicitly do not have a 100% chance of keeping it if you get killed. Unless you don't get killed. Because you're scum.

I actually think this is a scrum slup. How could you not understand the possibility of you being killed? We talked about this a lot. I think I'm already voting you so I'll keep it that way.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Also note that Ernie is playing his classic scum game

I don't know poo poo about Ernie but I think he looks bad because he's trying to generate content day one, that always looks like suspicious. I don't have a good gut read on him but I'm gonna let it ride.

re: My ponzi scheme

For some reason DBD doesn't want us collectively organizing a gamebreaking abuse of a mechanic so I guess forget my plan. If that's the case, don't give your money away though. It's kind of like self-voting. You know(presumably) that you are town. You don't know about anyone else's alignment. Giving away money has a decent chance of hurting you.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Opopanax posted:

What? That's obviously not what he meant. Are you saying scum get the money if they kill someone? because that seems like way more of a slip.

I don't think you understand.

Opinions RE: money giving

I don't like it. I have a 100% chance of keeping it in town hands if I keep it and a ~65% chance of keeping it in town hands. It seems stupid.

I don't like Ernie at all.

If you die, the money just goes away I presume. So... wait maybe I'm just misreading it because what he posted doesn't make any sense. YPM, clarify?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mills posted:

I haven't seen the movie; I just liked the player list.

Therefore Ernie is scum for acting in a way that avoids him having to discuss where his money should go, attention he doesn't want as scum.

+0 interesting point but I'm not 100% sure that's accurate. Ernie was more willing to discuss money than most, who professed boredom and disinterest.

Meinberg posted:

Hey guys, there's a lot of talking going on in this thread, and I will admit that I'm having a bit of trouble following along. Could someone explain why Ernie is such a bad guy?

-1 Point for white-noise and asking someone to do casework Meiny can piggyback off of.

Mills posted:

It's a meta argument for me so my words would probably interest you even less than usual.

Therefore, something unrelated.

Meta arguments are invalid

Meinberg posted:

Lay it on me. I'm going to be ~open-minded~ today.

-1 Again, "do my work for me."

Mills posted:

Ernie and I are best pals, clearly that much is true. We read each other very well. I asked him to give me his $100 so that I could do something objectively town minded with it today, caveated with the request to be judged on my action. Of all people, Ernie is better equipped than most to understand the logic and potential for positive EV. In addition, our close ties should have told him this was my town play as I am against taking risks in general in mafia as they are almost always negative EV plays, particularly so on D1. To avoid all of this and the discussion surrounding it, Ernie sent his funds to nebulous black hole Gulag citing "humour". Ernie is not entirely unhumourous but it's not his behaviour to avoid a discussion and make an irreversible decision not only prior to the discussion about it, but as an exercise to actively avoid the discussion.

Therefore, I like coffee.

-2 This is all poor reasoning. Your premise is, because Ernie should know that you are town because meta(what?), he should give you his money(reducing his own agency), so that you can do something objectively town with it(when we do not even know how the market works yet). This is junk and I feel like you could make similar arguments if Ernie did give you his money. This is why I loathe meta arguments.

Mills, right now you're tied with Meinberg. How does that make you feel?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ernie. posted:

hi you person who is posting right after me, please tell me why you're not voting hal incandenza and how scummy his next post would have to be for you to change your mind

Ernie I feel like Hal is playing differently from what I've seen before but in a way that I kind of like. I poked at him and he poked back, that's a good sign. I feel like scum coast until near the end of day one, do you disagree?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ernie. posted:

I'm not sure suspecting anyone above a certain threshold of posting is going to work out well.

Sorry, I meant in terms of imaginary arbitrary points I was assigning, not in terms of actual posts.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ernie. posted:

Gulag, can you explain this, please? Is this you making a joke about Mills being a poison or about something that actually happened in this game?

I think those posts coincided with a big shitfit in the discussion thread so I'm pretty sure it's a joke.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Opopanax posted:

You seem awfully anxious to shut down discussion about it, as well as flying headlong into handing out cash when we're still not sure how things work. Almost makes one think you know more than the rest of us

opop this is stupid

i apologize for starting market discussion pre market but the game was boring and it was something to talk about

opop this might be scummy because what are you trying to say here? do you actually disagree with him? do you think this market speculation is in any way helpful? it feels like you're piggybacking onto an easy target, there's been a lot of ernie suspicion and you're throwing shade without really putting anything real forward.

also :siren: "awfully [word]":siren: scum buzzphrase

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Kumbamontu posted:

is the poison fatal

i'm sorry kumbo we did everything we could

but we just couldn't save your goulashdog

*sigh* this job never gets any easier

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
almost forgot about this

Ernie. posted:

My history with hal is that you can usually tell his alignment based on the cases he fly-by/drive-by supports. In this game he's supported nothing but the general consensus i.e. he's more interested in appearing invested than he is actually invested.

I don't necessarily have a rule for what scum do on D1 because it depends from game to game, but I'm going to guess that in this game scum are going to coast till the end of D1, yeah. There's not much activity to force them not to.

I don't really agree that his work is based on consensus. He's gone after you and me so far, right(holy poo poo how do I need to do a reread of this game already?)? You're a strong consensus somehow but I feel like Hal was part of that initial momentum. I was going to argue that I wasn't consensus either but I remember now that I'm the vote leader!

In conclusion: hm and sorry for thinking out loud.

But he is definitely not coasting. I think Opop might be hopping on at just the right moment, cresting the ~momentum wave~. I really don't like his recent posts and I would lynch Opop/YPM with more or less equal preference.

Sidenote: holy poo poo the deadline is not until friday? that is a looong day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

This is indeed what I was saying.

Based on what reasoning?

• Locked thread