Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Problem description: I have a Lenovo Yoga 13 ultrabook (SSD, no CD drive) that gave me a blue screen on startup, saying the Boot Configuration Data could not be found (error 34). I was aware there was some kind of recovery partition, so I tried rebooting a few times, messing with the UEFI to try to get it to run, and then pushed the Lenovo One Touch Recovery button.
I clicked on recovery, and then interpreted it as saying that it was going to erase my drive back to factory settings. Sort of panicking, I clicked exit, it restarted, and now works (I'm typing on it right now). I haven't yet restarted again, not sure if it'll come back.
I'm posting this preemptively because I am really confused about why it's working now (nothing I did should've fixed it), and I'm assuming it's going to start the same problem again next time I boot up, so I'd like to figure this out while I still have access to the computer, or see if there's anything I can do.

Attempted fixes:
I'm currently doing some work with a backup (making a copy of my older backup image from a month ago, and when that's finished going to make a new backup image; I'm worried backing up an image again might also back up corrupted data, and it's not clear whether the Windows system image backup would overwrite the old one). Worst case scenario, I finish this backup and have to do some recovery stuff and restore, or if this new backup doesn't work, use the old backup and try to extract any changes from the new one (or just lose them, not that big of a deal).
I'm not entirely sure how I should set up a recovery stick thing but I'm hoping to figure that out soon. I'm a little surprised and confused that the Lenovo recovery thing didn't simply have a "repair installation" option, which I remember being useful in earlier Windows. Do they no longer do this with 8? Or do I need to make a recovery stick?

Recent changes: I've been force shutting down with the power button while the laptop was closed/asleep. I'll stop doing this? I thought something about the sleep setup or 8 or SSDs or whatever was designed so that this wouldn't be a problem anymore.
The second SSD was a fairly recent addition, within the last month and half.

--

Operating system: Windows 8 64 bit

System specs: Lenovo Yoga 13, Model 20175. ~128 GB factory SSD, I didn't mess with the original partitioning from Lenovo. I've installed a second 256 GB SSD in the extra slot. 4 GB RAM, i5-3317U.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Okay I've restarted like twice and this thing is still working.
I have no idea what's going on.

I'm going to research what the "boot configuration data" even is, and work on making a recovery stick.
If anyone has any ideas what happened and why it's "fixed" now, it would be appreciated, but otherwise I guess problem solved.

Hate computers so much.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I don't know why it failed in the first place. It's possible your SSD developed a bad block, and that block happened to have the BCD store on it (the BCD store being the information necessary for the motherboard to know if an operating system exists, where to find it, and how to start it - it's the configuration file for the Windows Boot Manager bootloader).

Post a Crystal Disk Info screenshot to check for bad blocks, maybe? Unlike with hard drives, a bad block isn't instant death for an SSD (though continuing to get them is).

So, the Windows Recovery Environment is a separate thing from the Lenovo restore partition, so that accounts for why Lenovo's restorer wanted to reimage the machine.

If the Windows bootloader is still intact, but the BCD store (its configuration files) is missing or corrupt, the system should automatically run Startup Repair from the Windows RE on its next attempted boot. Startup Repair includes a tool to fix or create a new BCD store - Windows is structured so that it's easy to create a new BCD store even if the old one is completely gone.

If you want to see it, the BCD is loaded into the registry as [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\BCD00000], and you can ogle it via regedit.exe.

So that's what BCD is (bootloader configuration), why it could be working now (easy for the computer to fix during Startup Repair, if there are no other problems), and a possibility for why it screwed up in the first place (bad block on the SSD).

• Locked thread