Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

a bone to pick posted:

haha it's not a very big deal, it's not very difficult to do and it makes the person doing it look funny. goons are getting so mad at this wht the gently caress is wrong with you fun haters?

gently caress every person who nominated me & thought they could pressure me into dumping ice water over my head on camera or guilt-donating hundreds of dollars. I actually got a reminder email from a Facebook acquaintance that I needed to make my ice bucket challenge video since she nominated me. It's like a backwards chain letter.

e:

LifeSizePotato posted:

i genuinely think it's a fascinating thing from a sociological perspective tbh

I'm noticing a lot of overlap between "people I know who shove their face in a camera at every opportunity" & "people suddenly passionate about ALS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

a bone to pick posted:

someone wanted to armchair psychologist about sociopaths; I think goons get really angry at this whole thing because theyre being peer pressured into doing something they don't want to do (like jumping in a pool) and that causes them discomfort and, because they can't give a legitimate reason for not doing it other than hurting their pride, they write angry messages about it anonymously on their messaging board hoping other miserable souls will chime in and agree with them to validate their non-participation.

I think donating to charity is a good thing but I resent being told what to do by annoying people so I donated $50 to the anti-ALS group & $50 to the pro-ALS group so it would even out.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Kyrie eleison posted:

sorry i hate to say it but its true. patrick bitched out. he Bitched out.

Doing the ice bucket & only donating $10 is bitching out imo. Donating $100 is what a grown up is supposed to do. Like half the people in my FB feed doing the challenge seem to be forgetting the donating money part though.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I'm going to fill a bucket with 100 one dollar bills & make a video of myself dumping it on my head instead of donating it to raise awareness of what an rear end in a top hat I am.

LifeSizePotato posted:

technically, if you dump the water on yourself aren't you absolved of the requirement to donate money?

I'm going to make a video of myself buying a $100 indulgence from the Catholic church to absolve myself of the sin of greed.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I grew up in a household where it was considered rude to brag about charity & you were supposed to give in secret which would result in stupid situations where you wouldn't want to tell your friends where you were Saturday afternoon because telling them you were preparing meals for homeless people was like bragging about it so you would constantly have these mystery gaps in your schedule that you hoped no one noticed but as an adult I realize that letting people know about your charity work encourages them to find ways to engage in charity as well. And certainly using YouTube to promote worthy causes is a valuable tool but there's definitely a point where it can become "Look at this video of ME doing a thing that is an abstract of charity to raise awareness of charity but mostly raise awareness of how charitable I want you to think I am" and I find it very off-putting and I kinda understand why my family is so weird secretive about charity work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
The people who benefit the most by the idea of not stating how much you donate to charity are rich people who donate very small amounts of money & people who donate no money.

• Locked thread