Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Previous Ys LPs:
Ys I & II Chronicles
Ys III: Wanderers from Ys
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys

Ys Origin is the ninth title in the Ys series, a long running series of Action RPGs developed by Falcom that started all the way back in 1987 and is still going strong. It was originally released for PC in Japan only on December 21st 2006. Six years later XSEED translated and published the game to Steam on the 1st June, 2012. It uses the engine first established in Ys VI, refined in Oath in Felghana and was refined even further to produce this game. It also happens to be the last game in the series to use this engine, later opting for a party-based action RPG in Ys Seven.

For those new to the Ys series, this is a pretty good place to start since Ys Origin is the very first entry chronologically to the series' timeline, and a drat good one at that. I've heard people compare Ys as the Devil May Cry of Action RPGs and that Ys Origin is the Devil May Cry 3 of the series and to be honest they're not too far off the mark. It contains elements of an RPG (levelling, storyline, upgrading equipment), an action/adventure game (platforming, exploring, puzzles) and a hack and slash (fast-paced combat, elaborate special moves, crazy difficult bosses). It also ranks up there as one of the hardest: I'd say that Ys Origin Nightmare mode rates scarily similar to Oath in Felghana's Nightmare, but doesn't cheap-shot you enough to be Inferno levels of bullshit.

Following the plot revelations of Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim, Falcom had to make elaborate revisions to the plot of previously established games in the series, the most important of which allowed Falcom to make an origin story for their first game: Ancient Ys Vanished.

The story takes place 700 years before the events of Ys I:

There once was a wildly prosperous land named Ys, ruled by the twin Goddesses Reah and Feena and their six priestly retainers. It was a veritable paradise, with all its residents able to enact miracles at will through the use of magic – a power granted them by a holy artifact known as the Black Pearl.

One day, without warning, enormous demons marched upon the land, bringing death and devastation in their wake. Their numbers and their might were too much for the knights and sorcerers of Ys to handle, so the people sought shelter within their holiest of temples at the top of the tallest mountain. In a desperate attempt to keep these people safe, the twin Goddesses used the power of the Black Pearl to tear this temple from the ground and raise it into the heavens, away from the ever-growing threat below.

The demons were determined, however. They erected an enormous tower from which further attacks were launched, bringing the battle into the skies. An all-out war had begun, with forces concentrated in Solomon Shrine above and the Devil's Tower below.

And it was amidst this chaos that the twin Goddesses stole away into the night. No one was told of their departure – not even the Six Priests who served them. It seemed clear that they'd gone back to the surface, but no one knew exactly why. Only one thing was certain: Without the Goddesses, Ys could not survive.

Intent on finding their missing deities, the Six Priests organized a search party of the most elite knights and sorcerers in the land. These soldiers were given a single mission: Secure the safety of Ladies Reah and Feena, and bring them back to Solomon Shrine alive and well.

But in the desolate, ruined remains of Ys, there's only one place they could have gone...

The Devil's Tower itself.

Source: XSEED's Ys Origin site

Covering all this game has to offer is going to be an absurd trial as the game has about four times the amount of content Oath in Felghana had. Not to mention the game has multiple playthroughs as different characters. We're going to cover all of them, but we're going to mix things up to keep it interesting.

Arc 1 - A Knight's Tale
The first playthrough will be a Hard mode playthrough as Yunica Tovah. Solo commentary, same sort of deal as the Oath in Felghana LP.

Arc 2 - Hugo's Bizarre Adventure
For this second playthrough I'll be doing something I've never tried before. The playthrough will be a Normal mode Hugo Fact run and I won't be playing! I'm putting the controller in the hands of my friend, Deep-Friar, who will be playing through the game for the first time. He won't be alone, however, I'll be sitting behind him guiding him along giving him possibly useful information but more than likely just being an rear end in a top hat.

Arc 3 - ???
THE NIGHTMARE WILL CONSUME ALL, THE STRUGGLE IS ENDLESS, ESCAPE IS IMPOSSIBLE
Information on this playthrough will be revealed after the first two arcs are completed. Yes, this one will be a Nightmare mode run.

All playthroughs will be 100%, we are going to put this game in the ground.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

- The Seediest Wizzhard

Also if you're curious about getting updates as soon as they go up I have a twitter thing. I might stream some other Nightmare/future unlockable stuff as well on my hitbox stream from time to time.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 21, 2014

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I know everything. I'm everywhere and nowhere all at once. I permeate existence.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

That was quick.

QuetzaDrake
Sep 11, 2011

So lonely.
Oh, good, I have an excuse not to go back to trying to beat Nightmare Mode with Hugo for the first time after like 5 months of not playing the game, I can just watch this instead.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I've been looking forward to this.

Seedy Wizard
Feb 17, 2011

who wants a
body massage
Time to grease up this puppy and give it a full body massage!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Really really looking forward to the third character's run, I know who it's supposed to be but could never be arsed to beat the game twice. I'm hearing he plays pretty differently.

Anyway, a goddess named Feena, that's a new low even in Japanese games.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Thought I should mention it now before I forget. When I said in the Yunica 1 video that updates would happen side by side I didn't mean each update will be one episode from each playthrough per update, that's a bit silly. I'll just be posting videos as I finish editing them from either playthrough at a reasonable frequency (at least one video per week, maybe more).
I won't get to record with Deeps as often as recording by myself obviously but when I do we'll be recording a backlog of a couple hours at a time. We'll inevitably have more videos of the Hugo playthrough as I want to make that playthrough as raw as possible, only editing if it gets to points where I can't watch in editing. He'll die a bunch on video but if it gets really bad I'll be cutting out the boring bits - don't worry, I want this to be as enjoyable as I can make it. :)

I'll be posting Yunica videos for a little while since I haven't had time to record with Deeps since Hugo 1 (which was only supposed to be a test recording but it turned out well). If I get on top of other commitments and he's around to record more we should get a backlog started on that.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Toddy you forgot to post this.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Mico posted:

Toddy you forgot to post this.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I love the Ys games. I thought Yunica's gameplay was pretty solid, but when I got to Hugo's run, I just didn't like it at all. Combat didn't feel satisfying, and the lack of damage output, coupled with the constant need to retreat, dragged encounters out. Maybe it gets better later on, but I only played up to the point where you get the second spell.

Yunica's gameplay was a blast, though. The buff potions push the player to kill faster and get stronger off continued drops, which ratchet up the combat to a manic pace as you go into a berserker rage in search of potions.

I haven't played as the secret character, though, I should do that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Logicblade posted:

I've been looking forward to this.

Same.

Deep-Friar
Nov 6, 2010

Roses are red. Violets are blue.

I must eat Yogurt off of you.

toddy. posted:

He'll die a bunch on video but if it gets really bad I'll be cutting out the boring bits - don't worry, I want this to be as enjoyable as I can make it. :)

This instills me with confidence.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Deep-Friar posted:

This instills me with confidence.

Well, it rather depends on your Ys experience. This is one of the easier ones and Hugo is not a very complicated character. Most likely you'll only die to a couple bosses.

edit: Crap, I was away for a week so I assumed I got skipped. Will report immediately.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Aug 26, 2014

Deep-Friar
Nov 6, 2010

Roses are red. Violets are blue.

I must eat Yogurt off of you.

anilEhilated posted:

Well, it rather depends on your Ys experience.

This is the first Ys game I've played. My only experience before this is commenting on the various mine-themed dungeons in other Ys games.

Seedy Wizard
Feb 17, 2011

who wants a
body massage

anilEhilated posted:

Well, it rather depends on your Ys experience.

His experience extends to growing and harvesting turnips LIKE A BOSS!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Well, it rather depends on your Ys experience. This is one of the easier ones and Hugo is not a very complicated character. Most likely you'll only die to a couple bosses.

Hey AnilEhilated, There's a beautiful big fascist boxtank awaiting your command in the Combat Mission LP, should you choose to accept it. German thread is here.

Sorry to interrupt your LP, everyone. Keep up the good work!
:thumbsup:

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 26, 2014

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Inco posted:

but when I got to Hugo's run, I just didn't like it at all. Combat didn't feel satisfying, and the lack of damage output, coupled with the constant need to retreat, dragged encounters out.

That's why I'm so surprised Toddy says he's the more beginner-friendly of the two. Add to that the fact that unlike Yunica he doesn't hit-stun enemies and combat just doesn't feel as nice. Yunica makes enemies reel when she attacks, Hugo it feels like he just slowly plinks at enemies until they die from annoyance.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
The whole bit about earlier Ys/Falcom games not being made for wide screen is far more apparent in Trails in the sky. This bit, in particular:

Never finished my Hugo or third dude runs, so I'm looking forward to this. Really liked Yunica, kinda hated Hugo.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Lance Streetman posted:

Never finished my Hugo or third dude runs, so I'm looking forward to this. Really liked Yunica, kinda hated Hugo.

I found Hugo to be easy-mode, personally. Being a purely ranged fighter in a pre-Seven Ys game kind of feels like cheating.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Materant posted:

I found Hugo to be easy-mode, personally. Being a purely ranged fighter in a pre-Seven Ys game kind of feels like cheating.

It's not so much that I found him hard (I just set it to Very Easy to see his cutscenes), so much as I just got really bored playing as him. Keep in mind that I'd already put over 20 hours in playing as Yunica and several hours as third dude when I tried to play as Hugo, so I was a bit burnt out on Ys Origin. Not all of us can play a single RPG for 200 hours.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Yay finally the Origin LP has started.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Oh, my. This is gonna take a while, isn't it? But then again toddy's great at taking the Ys games apart. Also a Nightmare mode run with the coolest character? I'm down.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Oh wow I didn't even expect you to have finished Ts 4 yet, so when I saw this thread i got to see the last video of that as well.

I can agree with not wanting playing Mask of the Sun, as a Big Ys fan myself I've played it and...yeah. Although you did play both Oath from Felghana and Ys 3: Wanderer's From Ys (or whatever the heck it's called), so you already played one crappy Ys game, what's another one. Obviously you just need to keep making these LPs until you've played every Ys game made.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

a cartoon duck posted:

That's why I'm so surprised Toddy says he's the more beginner-friendly of the two. Add to that the fact that unlike Yunica he doesn't hit-stun enemies and combat just doesn't feel as nice. Yunica makes enemies reel when she attacks, Hugo it feels like he just slowly plinks at enemies until they die from annoyance.

I call Hugo easier in that he is far less complex than the other characters. His basic methods for attacking are incredibly straightforward and understanding Hugo's playstyle is very easy. Also I grade Yunica as one of the hardest (if not the hardest) character to play on the higher difficulties because of how underpowered and complex she is compared to the other characters. Part of the reason Yunica's playthrough is played on hard is because I don't want to give everything away on the first playthrough, but also because Yunica on Nightmare is easily the hardest playthrough you can do in story mode. Also I should probably show how the upgrade system works in some detail before I go on to never using it in Nightmare mode.

goldjas posted:

Obviously you just need to keep making these LPs until you've played every Ys game made.

Tempted, but the further I keep going in the series the less likely I'll want to keep going. We'll see how we go. You know, the several years after I finish this thread (if previous LPs have taught me anything).

---

I should have an update posted tomorrow or the day after. There will be gameplay this time, honest!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I enjoy this kind of LP, when it's possible to make it - one experienced playthrough and one fresh playthrough.

Like to see they kept the buff potions in, those are always fun to see in practice.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Fresh updates!

The gameplay finally starts! Ys Origin has this vicious habit of throwing you every game mechanic at once, which makes explaining every little thing that goes on in this video incredibly hard! I'm going to fill in the rest of blanks on gameplay mechanics over time, so don't worry about getting confused straightaway. Also feel free to ask questions about anything you've seen from the game so far, I'd be happy to answer!

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I prefer to keep both Vangullions close to each other because i think they take more damage that way, or probably not and i'm just imagining things. I have to say the bosses are probably my favorite thing about this game since they actually tried to remake a bunch of older Ys bosses and make them not terrible.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Glazius posted:

Like to see they kept the buff potions in, those are always fun to see in practice.

It very quickly gets to a point where you forget they're even there, but to some extent they encourage going on a rampage to increase your killing power.

Smornstein posted:

I prefer to keep both Vangullions close to each other because i think they take more damage that way, or probably not and i'm just imagining things. I have to say the bosses are probably my favorite thing about this game since they actually tried to remake a bunch of older Ys bosses and make them not terrible.

Ideally it's better to keep them together because in the perfect situation they would be solid at the same time so double damage (hitting both targets at once) but in more realistic situations one will either form while the other is screwing you with bats, both form from too far away and light the entire arena on fire, or neither form and it takes forever to kill them.
The bosses in this game I feel have some design issues (namely some bosses we'll be encountering later in the game) but we'll get to those later. Let's just say this is certainly not my favorite entry in the series (for some weird and mostly opaque reasons) but it's still very good.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

So does playing as Yunica vs Hugo differ much, or at all, outside of their personal abilities?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Polsy posted:

So does playing as Yunica vs Hugo differ much, or at all, outside of their personal abilities?

Story is entirely different. So are the minibosses.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I finished on Hard with Hugo and #3 a week or two ago, so I'm looking forward to seeing how much better slash worse you two are at this stupid game.

goddamn desert zone boss

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Polsy posted:

Yunica and Hugo have different cutscenes, different magic upgrades, and fight different minibosses.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Yunica is the cutest little bulldozer :3: Adol's a cool guy and all that, but I'm glad Origin offers a lot more character interaction and development. I'd say the story is one of the game's stronger points, being a Big Prequel. Lots of cool moments.

EDIT: toddy is the best at TL:DRing things.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 29, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
This game is the best Ys game.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Polsy posted:

As people said before: different cutscenes/story development, some different bosses/mini-bosses. There's also a puzzle or two in the game that is solved differently depending on who you play as, I'll get into that later. The most notable difference for me is how each character has some different capacity for breaking the game. In the original JP release of this game it was possible for Yunica to jump over certain bossfight triggers thanks to her unique mobility, and Hugo can make some bossfights a complete pushover due to the spread of his attacks.

Ciaphas posted:

goddamn desert zone boss

I know what boss you're talking about and Yunica has an unreasonably hard time against this boss typically. There's a few tricks I'll show off when we get to it but suffice it to say that boss wasn't particularly well programmed.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Polsy posted:

Yunica's damage output gets far outstripped by Hugo's, once you start hitting about level 25 or so. Also, to those whining about having trouble as Hugo: go level some. A-doy. (Flippancy aside, if you take the time to properly level and upgrade Hugo, he becomes an absolute monster. Yunica never really catches up to him, and Third Guy is about even with him, even though they have two different styles.)

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

toddy. posted:

I know what boss you're talking about and Yunica has an unreasonably hard time against this boss typically. There's a few tricks I'll show off when we get to it but suffice it to say that boss wasn't particularly well programmed.

That was was an absolute chore until I figured out its gimmick, then it became a total push-over with every character.

Anyway, while every character has their own story, mini-bosses and abilities, they all go through the same dungeons and major bosses in the same order, so if you're not into that stuff it's just playing the same game thrice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Grimthwacker posted:

Yunica is the cutest little bulldozer :3:

Agreed. I'm amused by the dichotomy between her restrained, unsure naivete and her berserker gameplay. I'm curious if that gets reflected in dialogue at all later.

• Locked thread