Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should the US just go for it and become an empire?
Yes! 1000 years of 'Murica!
No. forcing democracy on people is a contradiction.
Lurk Moar before you post, Applewhite.
View Results

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The British Empire lasted from 1497 to 1987 and at its height covered more than a quarter of the Earth's land mass.
In the process of pursuing total world domination, it created (albeit largely accidentally) no less than four wealthy, stable democracies that have gone on to become great nations in their own right: Singapore, Australia, Canada, and, everybody's favorite, the USA.
India, South Africa, Hong Kong and a handful of others also get honorable mentions for being the least lovely places to live in their region.

The United States, by contrast, has eschewed direct world domination in favor of "encouraging" independent democracies to flower on their own.
Successful democracies created by US intervention: 0 (1 if you count Israel I guess, but we all know how THEY turned out)

I say we drop the hypocritical "minimal intervnetion" BS and just take over the world already.
Worst case scenario is we fail but indirectly create a bunch of awesome, new countries which might be even better than the US.
Best Case scenario we succeed and there is Freedom and Justice for all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Manifest posted:

They did this over a hundred years ago.

Pick up a book.

The events detailed in Harry Turtledove novels don't count.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

McDowell posted:

Read about the Spanish American War.

Remember the Maine! :911:

We beat up the aging Spanish Armada and then were neglectful caretakers of the Philippines. If we'd really been going for an empire, the Philippines would be states right now.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Al Borland posted:

You invade either to take and destroy or conquer. We should drop the pretense of fixing and just do either of the above.

My point exactly (I say conquer).

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SHISHKABOB posted:

THe united states already is an empire, just not in the way you think of them (rome, britain). It's an "economic" empire. A "cultural" empire.

why would we bother conquering militarily to take what we are already getting through other means. War can be a way to make money and it can be a way to waste money. Usually it's a waste of money (50% of the time at least, i.e. people lose wars)

Oh, awesome. An "Economic" and "Cultural" empire; that poo poo doesn't fly in CIV and it doesn't fly IRL. Everyone knows the Military Victory is the real one.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

What kind of chump bitch empire makes its colonies fully franchised parts of the core

"Hm yes let's let the wogs vote in parliament" - the British, never

Maybe if they HAD, they'd still be an empire. The US could be a new paradigm (in, admittedly, a very old paradigm).

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

a creepy colon posted:

japan and south korea actually are awesome idiot

I have to admit, I totally forgot about Japan and South Korea. I have been to both and they are awesome places.

But see? SEE? We didn't pussyfoot around in those countries with Bay of Pigs BS. We rolled in guns blazing, said "this is how things are gonna be" and stuck around until they fixed their poo poo. They are an example of how great the whole world could be if we applied ourselves.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

As an Applewhite, are you a football player, football coach, character on desperate housewives, or leader of a suicidal alien cult?

My username actually takes its inspiration from a misheard lyric from "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World
(it just takes some time
in the middle
in the middle
Ap-ple-white)

The song was stuck in my head at the time of choosing.

Aside from that, the space cult leader is the next closest. In all fairness I believed at the time that "Marshal[sic] Applewhite" was a grizzled frontier lawman. I wasn't disappointed when I learned the truth, though.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 25, 2014

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Chris Awful posted:

Agreed, OP. But once imperialism is back it will become trendy. Russia, China, Britain, and Germany will want their own empires.

That is a drawback, but one I'm sure we can overcome if we lay the groundwork properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Robo Reagan posted:

are you retarded

Manifest posted:

He must be, everyone knows that the space colonization path is the quickest way to win.

Alright so I've never been patient enough with Civ to get those victories, but I'm sure those grapes are sour anyway. The greatest pleasure in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their women, not sell them blue jeans.

Manifest posted:

OP has never read any Howard Zinn.

Regrettably no. The most influential aspects of my education were the intellectual descendants of Leo Strauss and Harvey Mansfield. Disobedience and Democracy looks pretty interesting. I'll probably start there unless you have a particular favorite you'd like to recommend

• Locked thread