Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel like the Shadow cover art should also be there because it is seriously amazing.

But looking forward to getting more Teddie on. Not sure whether it'll be normal or Shadow yet, but should be fun either way.

Junpei and Margaret also look interesting, so this game should keep me occupied for a good while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Shadow Chie and Mitsuru are pretty much top of the line of Shadows as well. Mitsuru can do 9k+ off a 5B Fatal Counter and Chie combos into 6.5k+ combos from any starter when they have Shadow Fury. Plus most of their combos are unburstable unless you activate it as soon as they trigger it.

Trollhawke posted:

I suspect Shadow Chie is also going to be monstrous, especially if she can combo through her power charges into one of her supers.

That's pretty much S.Chie. Power Charge twice, then double Agneyestras or do God's Hand > Power Charge > God's Hand.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

apple posted:

TBF, the whole point is that you need to get full meter first. You won't be stuck in a shadow burst TOD combo unless you mess up enough times so they can build meter with low damage combos. If you do well against a shadow character they'll still get meter, but only when they're down 1 round and haven't done anything yet.

Honestly I wasn't sold on shadow characters but they seem like they're going to have a meaningful impact on how you play matchups compared to their non-shadow counterparts. It should spice things up even if only a few shadow characters are actually good. From what I've heard Kanji, Mitsuru, Chie, Naoto and Narukami are all good shadow characters, and there's Labrys that can set up unblockables (though she's still bad).

S.Kanji's not really top, because he really, really wants Kanji's new autocombo and he can only chain two supers together, giving your opponent more opportunities to burst. Normal Kanji's high health means the Shadow health buff is less significant (the Awakening defense boost is stronger for Kanji). He's not bad, but I wouldn't really put him above mid-tier right now.

Shadow Rise might be an interesting one - I don't know if she can do Arrow Rain/Risette Field > OMC > unblockable super, but she should at the very least be able to combo into the super in the corner.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Can anyone clarify what the 'First Print' edition that includes the Adachi DLC means? Because I got a physical copy today but I didn't get a code inside.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Teddie's daydream doesn't include Labrys or Aigis, how mechanist.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Excels posted:

so you can just buy Unlimited versions for every character now. neat

You can also get them by beating that character's Arcade Mode.

Boss Yukiko is pretty nasty; throws three fans for every B, has Fire Boost 9 at the start of the match, and a rapidly regenerating Fire Break. That also means she gets an unblockable Radiant Phoenix right at the start.

Also Boss Yosuke can use Hurricane Meteor whenever.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The_Frag_Man posted:

DLC is loving bullshit. You know what would make me really excited about this game? If all the characters/songs/whatever were just part of the game. You know, making the best game they can instead of doling it out $3 dollars per track. I aint buying any DLC.

Marie and Adachi are free the first week (you can 'buy' them even if you don't have the game), so if you don't care about the songs, the only thing you're missing out on is Margaret. Everything else can be earned through the game.

I'd have liked it if everything was part of the game too, but as far as microtranscations go, P4U isn't really that bad compared to some other games out there. I'll probably be getting Margaret and a few of the navigators myself.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Alteisen posted:

The new Kanji VA sometimes sounds like Troy and other times he doesn't.

Really bummed over the change since Kanji is my main. :smith:

I think they've definitely re-used a few of his lines. It's pretty apparent if you play as Shadow Kanji, where some quotes are pretty much old Kanji's lines but run through a synthesizer.

New Margaret weirds me out more than anyone.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It might just be my imagination, but does Dojima sound different in this game? From the few lines he's had.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Do the different navigators have different effects for Golden Arena? Just wondering before I go buy the ones I want, and if they are any recommended ones.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pomp posted:

Which one of the three robot characters should I learn?

There are technically five if you consider the Shadow versions, but:

-Labrys has high damage confirms and huge range, but poor reversals and projectiles and relies very heavily on offensive momentum. Kind of like a Junpei but with better close range normals. She's relatively easy to pick up, though.
-Shadow Labrys has Labrys' large normals, but also a large Persona that acts as a puppet. Very strong pressure game and can lead to some good damage confirms, and you'll frustrate fan-happy Yukiko players a lot. However, a steep learning curve if you're not used to puppets, low health, and not is basically a sub-par Labrys when Persona broken.
-Aigis also has a steep learning flowchart curve that requires on-point confirms and making use of three different types of resources, but has very good damage, even meterless, when she has Orgia Mode. Very good mobility and decent zoning tools, but close-range jabs aren't great in terms of hitboxes, and she loses a notable amount of damage when Persona Broken.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Chaotic Flame posted:

I'm picking this up later today. Where should a complete newbie to this game start? I had the first one, but never played it because no one around me did. Now there's a group near me where everyone plays it, so looking to get started.

Work through Tutorial and Challenge Mode to get a feel of the concepts and how each character plays. From there, roll around in Training Mode with the characters that you like, and decide which ones you like. From there, there should be plenty of resources online on basic combos you can work on - Dustloop is a good place to start.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Story Mode was generally fine or slightly below par personally, the good moments are less highlighted and there really isn't anything that matches up to some of the stuff in the first game (there are some nice CGs though). The nice parts are when the two casts interact (Junpei and Teddie ending up being good friends, Akihiko still calling the latter 'Teddie Teddie', for instance), but overall it wasn't amazing. The P3 newcomers aren't even that exciting; It was nice seeing them all again, but Yukari and Junpei haven't really changed that much from the end of the Answer, except getting new jobs, while Ken is okay but ultimately bland. The Shadow fights are extremely boring. While the P4A fights at least had some context and personal jabs at the cast, here it's just 'yeah, we're fake, kill us already'.

There were a couple decent parts, personally:

Labrys and Shadow Labrys' interaction. I thought that was pretty well done and an okay story justification for Shadow Labrys' continued existence in gameplay.

Theo finally getting some screentime. It might be too much to wish for, but I wonder if they'll add him as DLC down the road. Kind of weird how he's the only character that gets a voice change only for Persona Q; most of the cast that changed VAs got both Ultimax and Persona Q redone.

Episode Adachi. As someone who never cared much for Adachi, I think they worked him in well without making him stale while sticking true to his character.

Overall the story's only buoyed by the strength of the three games that came before it, otherwise it's mostly forgettable.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
He's kind of like Shadow Labrys in that weak moves won't work on him. Mashing Bs usually do the trick.

Or just put on Auto Fight.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Fighting Minazuki is the worst, even worse than Mitsuru. How are people dealing with him?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Chaotic Flame posted:

So, I think I've decided on Yukiko after playing in challenge mode a bit with some characters, but god are her combos involving holding and releasing Agi hard. Why do I have to like technical keepaway/zoning characters? Why?! :smith:

Also, how do most people setup their buttons? I have a stick and I've been playing around with a few combinations, but nothing has really clicked yet (I blame Marvel for getting me used to its button layout which doesn't translate very well to other games).

The good news is that Dancing Flames made her combos easier, as they do comparable amounts of damage for a much easier execution.

However, SP Agi combos are still what you want to do for things like Fatal Counters, so getting them down is still recommended, especially since Yukiko needs all the damage she can get.

Also a general tip to anyone: learn how to dodge Circus Bear. Don't let Teddies beat you with that move, like I've pulled off a few times. The worst thing to do is stay on the edge of the screen when he does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yukiko, Ken and Shadow Labrys are the worst parts of using a pad, everyone else is perfectly fine and using a pad shouldn't deter you from using those three if you like them.

• Locked thread