Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It gets dumber as it goes on and has no ending because one of the companies that co-owned it tried to sue the other company. I guess it's still watchable though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

I was gonna watch Megazone 23 next. should I just move to that one or are they both bad?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haven't seen it in years and the only thing I can remember about it is it had a guy on a bike, so pot luck, I guess?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Megazone 23 is rad. Part I is good, Part II is really good, Part III is just okay.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Synonamess Botch posted:

Sure but I mean my point is that the movie as it stands is far from nonsensical, regardless of what is omitted from the manga.

The movie has a plot but I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to really understand it after one watch. For me I watched Akira the first time and basically thought "That was cool! What the hell happened?" It makes more sense with repeat viewings, but if someone isn't interested in doing that I'm totally sympathetic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Being complex and being nonsensical is not the same thing.

However, being the former isn't always a good thing and the latter isn't always a bad thing.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Sakurazuka posted:

Cyber City Oedo is the only good cyberpunk anime, and only if you watch the dub.

This can't be said enough. The English dub is rad as hell, because every other word is a four-letter swear. And it's just an all around cool show, because Yoshiaki Kawajiri is a guy who knows how to make b-movie anime better than just about anybody else.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How the gently caress did you guys not understand Akira. . .

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Though i guess tons of dummys also watched NGE religiously without ever wrapping their heads around what was going on.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I have an IQ of 163, I understood what was going on at all points during the movie, but I recognized that people of lesser intelligence would not and judged the movie negatively because of that.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

I dunno, I watched it the first time when I was 13 or something. Maybe I'd catch the whole thing in one go if I could watch it fresh now, but I can't.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LaTex Fetish posted:

I have an IQ of 163, I understood what was going on at all points during the movie, but I recognized that people of lesser intelligence would not and judged the movie negatively because of that.

How thoughtful of you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Great Rumbler posted:

This can't be said enough. The English dub is rad as hell, because every other word is a four-letter swear. And it's just an all around cool show, because Yoshiaki Kawajiri is a guy who knows how to make b-movie anime better than just about anybody else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWqzumh8bpY :dance:

Kawajiri was legit the best schlock anime director of the 90's (though a couple of his movies got a bit rapey at times), it's a shame he hasn't directed anything since that weird Highlander anime move in like 2007.

Ninja Scroll actually made one of my friends feel physically ill when we first watched it in the mid-90's, my response was 'man, you should totally watch this' and made him watch Genocyber.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
Akira is pretty lame from a story perspective tbh since it wasnt finished at the time and thats Otomo's fault and no one else's since he was still writing the dang thing. But it looks really cool and good (Ohira & Okiura ftw) and it's probably the best of its kind and its time.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 4, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Genocyber seriously owns and I will defend it to the grave

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Man, I just couldn't with Genocyber, and I generally love trashy OVAs from that period. Even the English dub couldn't mask the pain I felt every single second that I watched.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It makes absolutely no sense and both the animation and narrative are barely scotch-taped together but it looks cool as hell and has a lot of absolute batshit insanity.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
That part with the kids getting shredded by miniguns was pretty legit, I'll give it that.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

I wouldn't say people have trouble understanding it. It's been a while since I saw it but I definitely remember it feeling like stuff was just happening because it looks cool. There was a bunch of characters and plot elements that seemed important that just kind of drop off. Then a typical anime ending where poo poo goes completely crazy. It doesn't take a genius to follow the main plot but it's not a well put together story.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

:eyepop: lmao

wow I gotta check this one out, couldn't stop laughing and i'm at work

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

LaTex Fetish posted:

:eyepop: lmao

wow I gotta check this one out, couldn't stop laughing and i'm at work

More of the same can be found in the delightfully trashy Angel Cop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
What is confusing about the plot of Akira?

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
One time there was a little telekenetic kid who accidentally blew up. Our friend Kaneda is a juvenile delinquent and he has a wussy little friend. It turns out his wussy little friend went to telekenesis preschool too a long time ago and he gets big psychic powers. Well, it turns out that using his psychic powers was too hard and he turns into a big baby, and the government shoots at him. He starts to blow up and the other psychic toddlers save everyone.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The first episode of Genocyber is actually seriously good, it's creepy, surreal and depressing, it uses techniques you don't often see in anime, like cutting to live action for some bits. Episodes 2 and 3 are okay gorefest trash. Four and five don't exist.

For a laugh check out the Genocyber manga that was canned after one volume (if not less), it's the the the most generic shounen costume hero crap ever only with super gore.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 5, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

One time there was a little telekenetic kid who accidentally blew up. Our friend Kaneda is a juvenile delinquent and he has a wussy little friend. It turns out his wussy little friend went to telekenesis preschool too a long time ago and he gets big psychic powers. Well, it turns out that using his psychic powers was too hard and he turns into a big baby, and the government shoots at him. He starts to blow up and the other psychic toddlers save everyone.

This is about right. The basic issue that people who say Akira was confusing have, is that they want to disentangle the mess of pseudoscience, pseudophilosophy and nationalist politics that is the show's explanation for HOW they stop Tetsuo at the end.

It isn't worth it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Great Rumbler posted:

More of the same can be found in the delightfully trashy Angel Cop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU
I thought this was one of those "abridged" things before I remembered 90's voice acting.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Butt Ghost posted:

I thought this was one of those "abridged" things before I remembered 90's voice acting.
And suddenly I remember why I was That Kid telling the whole 6th grade that Japanimation was awesome.

In this age of digital inking and high gloss production values, I think we could all do with more 80s OVAs in our lives.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

The first episode of Genocyber is actually seriously good, it's creepy, surreal and depressing, it uses techniques you don't often see in anime, like cutting to live action for some bits. Episodes 2 and 3 are okay gorefest trash. Four and five don't exist.

Your opinions are good.

pro click

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

darealkooky posted:

i thought flcl was about a kid getting his first boner

no it was about gainax having money again and spending it on making in-joke filled music videos for their favourite band you've probably never heard of

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ernie Muppari posted:

no it was about gainax having money again and spending it on making in-joke filled music videos for their favourite band you've probably never heard of

it's a really good band though

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ernie Muppari posted:

icantfindaname posted:

it's a really good band though

For further reading, please see in-depth treatise "Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fangz posted:

The Akira manga is much longer, more complex story wise, and also is more spelled out in terms of what is happening. I would recommend reading it.

However, I would say that the movie is the better work. The movie focuses on basically the best parts of the manga, and the narrowness of focus makes things like Tetsuo and Kaneda's relationship more convincing. The manga's long long action scenes make you basically forget about that. There is just so little there to make you think that these characters are supposed to be friends, and that therefore we are supposed to be sympathetic to Tetsuo as he is raping and massacring his way through Tokyo.

Did I mention rape? Yes, there is a lot of rape in the manga. Not just by antagonists, but Kaneda also tries to rape Kei, but it's a trick you see because he was really stealing her gun. Also she falls in love with him later because ???.

The final ending of the manga drops the ball entirely, because there is suddenly this lurch into nationalism. Oh no, it turns out all the antagonists are good guys now, because they are standing up to the Americans! Never mind that millions have died. No, let's not forget what Tetsuo's drug crazed rape cult really stood for, which is kicking out US aid workers so that Japan can be Strong. Let all the heroes profess their determination to continue that legacy. Happy ending.

Basically the Akira manga is well drawn, but really really dumb.

That's wrong though. It took me a while to get the ending, but it's not nationalistic or anti-american: some of the characters the manga depict in a best light are Americans (the scientists). It anti-army, and probably a bit anti-japan. The ending is a (clumsy for Otohmo, considering the rest of the book) metaphor for the kids trying to build a new future from the ashes of the old, trying to do it without the interference of the old generation. The entire first half of the manga is deeply critical of Japan, and is almost dystopic in many ways. The youth are shown to be violent and wild, but the adults are shown in a really bad light too, and it's implied pretty strongly that those things are related.

Also, way to miss all of Kaneda's character development.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's wrong though. It took me a while to get the ending, but it's not nationalistic or anti-american: some of the characters the manga depict in a best light are Americans (the scientists). It anti-army, and probably a bit anti-japan. The ending is a (clumsy for Otohmo, considering the rest of the book) metaphor for the kids trying to build a new future from the ashes of the old, trying to do it without the interference of the old generation. The entire first half of the manga is deeply critical of Japan, and is almost dystopic in many ways. The youth are shown to be violent and wild, but the adults are shown in a really bad light too, and it's implied pretty strongly that those things are related.

Also, way to miss all of Kaneda's character development.

Most of Otomo's stuff is critical of the government and the nationalist bullshit members of it use to justify whatever lovely reactionary policy (that'll, purely by chance I'm sure, direct money into their pockets) they want to implement. His stuff tends to be critical of the US for many of the same reasons, but tends to focus on the way that the US government encouraged the assholes in power in Japan to engage in their terrible bullshit because that helped achieve some of the US's own imperialistic goals.

Pretty much everything Otomo does is a lot easier to understand when you remember that he's part of that second generation of comic artists who started their careers in the early 70s, hot on the heels of widespread student protests getting put down by police until the only people still doing anything were actual honest-to-god communist terrorists, and then you have the oil-crisis in the early 70s causing another massive recession.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I'm a delinquent! That's what's in my heart. I'll take on any one of you!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

That's basically my opinion, tho I will say watching the (dubbed) intro to episode 4 is worth it. The guy voicing the old dude is straddling the line between unwatchably bad and hilariously bad.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

LaTex Fetish posted:

yep, watched the first episode of bubblegum crisis last night.

I really understand what you guys mean as far as animation goes. Bubblegum seems really fun and cool, but, yeah, the animation is pretty choppy at times. Really cool cyberpunk show and I hope it doesn't turn to poo poo during the next 5 or so episodes.

Just to be sure you're watching the original Bubblegum Crisis and not the Bubblegum Crisis 2040 anime that got made a decade later? I enjoyed watching the original BGC and the cyberpunk world it established. Just don't watch Bubblegum Crash.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Revolver Bunker posted:

Just to be sure you're watching the original Bubblegum Crisis and not the Bubblegum Crisis 2040 anime that got made a decade later? I enjoyed watching the original BGC and the cyberpunk world it established. Just don't watch Bubblegum Crash.

the one I'm watching was made in 1987

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

OP you should give Redline a shot:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Tetsuo becoming a giant death baby at the end of Akira worked as a really good creepy parallel to the atomic bomb to my understanding (I had no idea how an atomic bomb worked at the time) and could work fairly well as a stand-in for the terror people experienced at beholding its destructiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

i watched redline when it first came out and it was really good. of course i had been waiting on it for like 4 years or some poo poo at that point

• Locked thread