Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I worked for Blockbuster for around 10 years with most of those as an assistant manager so I've got more than a few stories about the bs from both employee and customer side of things.

Oddly enough I still wonder why they still kept sending us that godawful cotton candy to sell when no one bought it and all it'd do was dessicate into a nasty pink block in the package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
My friend used to take a blow dryer to the stickers on the snes games he rented and would swap them with the bullshit his mom would buy him. Rent secret of mana, return super godzilla.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
i just found a copy of crackdown on xbox 360 that i rented from blockbuster before they went out of business

don't have a 360 but niceee

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
So what was the deal with No Late Fees? Clearly it was a lie, but what were the details?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Gutcruncher posted:

So what was the deal with No Late Fees? Clearly it was a lie, but what were the details?

they got sued bad and there really wasn't a late fee because if you threatened to sue they'd pretty much just let you keep whatever.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
But what did they claim? Just a simple "Late fees done exist, lol jk" or was it shitloads of fine prints that said 'by the way thats a lie, idiots'

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The most popular and handsome dude in my high school worked at one back in like 2003 and people thought he was even cooler because he got free DVD and game rentals

I guess he got lazy since he worked there until they closed up and people now always talk about how they thought he was so cool but turns out he worked until it became uncool and how popularity is fleeting like that

He killed himself in 2011, had a baby at the time with some hoochie after he had gotten fat and worked for a lumber company

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I remember renting some pretty good SNES games there. Some pretty crap ones too. I also remember them trying to charge late fees for movies we'd returned on time.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I worked there for a few months in high school, one of my co workers was a cute girl from my school and we hit it off talking about blockbuster video inc related stuff and hosed a couple times but then her family moved away and i never saw her again

reply to this post emily r. if you are reading, i liked u

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

But what did they claim? Just a simple "Late fees done exist, lol jk" or was it shitloads of fine prints that said 'by the way thats a lie, idiots'

I worked as manager of one for like a year and heres what i was told about that. Apparently it wasn't a 'late fee' it was an 'extended viewing credit' and you were simply choosing to keep it for longer and pay the extended viewing credit that this incurred rather than getting penalised with a late fee. So yes they actually span it into a positive, kind of like if you were speeding and you didn't get a fine you just chose to speed and pay the extended velocity credit this would obviously incur.

Shirley Crabtree fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 27, 2014

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Gutcruncher posted:

Gypsum is right, I heard it get called something else but it was like $1.25 or something to let you get away with keeping the movie for three weeks instead of just one

you were still boned to the tune of the cost of the movie if you kept it for long enough though, like say two months or more

(i worked there for six years and helped it get turned into a family video)

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I worked at a BBV for about 5 years or so.

Ask me anything about sexually harassing frumpy high school girls.

One of many lame rear end low points, living closest to the store and having a key thus being the new volunteer to go let the cops in every time the AC blew a sign over at 3 am setting off the motion detector. Only once was it an actual break in.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

it was the only way to play ClayFighter: Sculptor's Cut

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Throwdini posted:

theres a super hot vid floating around the net of some dude getting a bj from a co-worker at one
thats why i made this thread, i feel like for some reason blockbuster was teh #1 spot for 90s coworker hookups

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Design Spots posted:

Well when i was like 16 I had sex with the lady, and it was the best.

block buster video is a den of debauchery

see what i mean

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
anyone get to go into the secret swank room in the back where you can play all the games? it was totally real

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

MegaGatts posted:

Remember when Blockbuster turned away the netflix people and the nexfilx people started their own business called netflix instead?

Not only this - Blockbuster actually realized that internet delivery was going to be important one day, so they engaged with Enron's Internet division (which was totally made up bullshit) to help them get there. We all know what happened to Enron, and Blockbuster never got there.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Throwdini posted:

theres a super hot vid floating around the net of some dude getting a bj from a co-worker at one

Okay, a few things. We don't know if it's blockbuster. Nobody is visibly wearing a blue polo with khakis, and there doesn't seem to be any visible blockbuster signage during the few moments where the camera quickly scans the store. Secondly, we don't know who works where. We assume at least one of them works there, but there are no visible uniforms or nametags. For pete's sake, the girl is wearing jeans and a black tank top! Blockbuster uniform? Hardly. My guess, smaller chain, possibly mom and pop. Man works there and his girlfriend came to visit him on her off day from a local pizzeria. Store was empty (blockbusters were always popping and often had more than 2 employees), so I'm guessing he locked the door and put up a sign, something like "be back in 15 minutes", and his girlfriend proceeded to engage him in oral sex.

Don't trust the titles of those streaming videos on the net. If you believed them all, you would think incest is much more common than it is.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Cpt.Sean Luc Picard posted:

I'm not the guy you're asking but one time a dude came to check out and totally plopped down his colostomy bag onto the counter while we did business.

Served you right for recommending Titanic.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

All I remember about blockbuster video is how I schooled my city in the video game championships

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I played Star Ocean 2 thanks to Blockbuster

And obtained a new appreciation for foreign movies. Basically it turned me into a hipster, thanks Blockbuster :thumbsup:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Lamebot posted:

anyone get to go into the secret swank room in the back where you can play all the games? it was totally real

swank my rear end, it had a single bathroom right next to the candy storeroom and our customers were too retarded to use it properly so it was employee-only

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
we went to blockbuster to rent videos because we were loving POOR when i was growing up and this has only occurred to me in the last 12 months. i had middle class guilt growing up, but i was loving poor the whole time. i thought i was posh, i was just pretentious. fuuuuuuck. so much wasted agnst

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Theshby posted:

we went to blockbuster to rent videos because we were loving POOR when i was growing up and this has only occurred to me in the last 12 months. i had middle class guilt growing up, but i was loving poor the whole time. i thought i was posh, i was just pretentious. fuuuuuuck. so much wasted agnst

hate to break it to you but all middle class peeps in the '90s rented movies from blockbuster

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Wang Flotilla posted:

My town still has two running Blockbuster stores, and one of them is next to a Papa Murphy's take-and-bake pizza, which makes it easy to get dinner and a movie of two. I don't go there often because I get some stuff from friends who torrent, but every time I go the store seems well managed, and the people who own it say it's profitable. Good for them.

Also one time I molested a dude who was trying to rent dusk til dawn 2.

Where I grew up there was a Little Caesars next to a Blockbuster. It was pretty good

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Dennis Eckersley posted:

Where I grew up there was a Little Caesars next to a Blockbuster. It was pretty good

noice

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Dennis Eckersley posted:

mine had a dairy queen next to it.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

the south park where randy buys a blockbuster was a pretty good episode

Lincolnstein
Sep 10, 2007

Dennis Eckersley posted:

same here. little squeezers and sega genesis games happened a good amount of times on friday after schoo.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Fandyien posted:

hate to break it to you but all middle class peeps in the '90s rented movies from blockbuster

Pretty sure paying $25 for a VHS made rental very important. Now you can buy DVDs for like $10 after a few months on top of netflix killing them. DVDs becoming more affordable in the 2000s built the coffin, pirating dug the grave and netflix was the 6 feet worth of dirt thrown on top.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I participated in the first real blockbuster video game tournament on the Genesis side of things. I did pretty well in NBA Jam, then held a clinic in Sonic 3 to the point where the officiator couldn't believe my score after two perfect scores in the chaos emerald stages...and then I made the fatal mistake of practicing the wrong level in Virtua Racing and falling to pieces.

StdNormDist
May 2, 2010
BB was alright but our local place was cooler because there were like 3 stoner dudes who worked there and didn't give a gently caress and didn't charge late fees half the time.

I rented a shitload of SNES games and I'm bummed out that kids can't saunter down the horror section and check out all the box art for 70s/80s horror movies (not 90s, gently caress that poo poo)

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
we didn't have a blockbuster because our town was too small but i used to rip off n64 and ps1 games with a tool i constructed out of a piece of wood and 3 nails to open the sliding plastic lock on the cases that my friends all passed around

that's my story thanks

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Dubious posted:

we didn't have a blockbuster because our town was too small but i used to rip off n64 and ps1 games with a tool i constructed out of a piece of wood and 3 nails to open the sliding plastic lock on the cases that my friends all passed around

that's my story thanks

are you this guy http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3660746&userid=38084

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dennis Eckersley posted:

our blockbuster became a little cease hers

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Dennis Eckersley posted:

There was a Subway next to ours. The 3 feet in between the double set of doors smelled like heaven.

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

I worked for Blockbuster for around 10 years with most of those as an assistant manager so I've got more than a few stories about the bs from both employee and customer side of things.

Oddly enough I still wonder why they still kept sending us that godawful cotton candy to sell when no one bought it and all it'd do was dessicate into a nasty pink block in the package.

I worked a few years there and it was common for fatties ate that poo poo up. It'd be common for people to spend more on snacks than the actual movies they rented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

• Locked thread