Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy

Watch_Dogs is a GTA ripoff that is pretty poo poo all told. It was originally announced at E3 2012, and people were really excited about it. Finally nearly two years later Watch_Dogs was released, and it sold very well, breaking records. Then people realized the game wasn’t much good. The game had been made to look worse since the E3 trailer, and the original better graphics were still in the game. We won’t be seeing those because I’m a loving dumbass and bought a PS4 copy of the game, and gently caress spending more money on this game.

The feature that supposedly sets Watch_Dogs apart is its hacking. You can hack a wide variety of things to give yourself an advantage and it is all very revolutionary if you believe Ubisoft’s marketing team. The trouble is the hacking is shallow, doesn’t work as well as it should, and ultimately it's pointless. It is a nice idea in theory but in execution it falls flat. That idea sums up the whole game, with a little more effort it would have been quite nice, but it isn’t. It’s poo poo.

Thread Stuff
These videos have two versions Cut and Uncut, I highly recommend you watch the uncut version since people talk at you all the time in this game and it is largely pointless. Also the story is dumb. The videos will consist of me and Kalon (he’s got a God of War LP running right now Check it Out), and a third guest who will change each week.

By the way I will never stop putting an underscore in the game’s name because it is dumb as hell.

New videos should be up every Thursday or Friday.

:siren:SPIOLER ALERT: RED:siren:
This game’s plot is dumb as hell at points, so please don’t talk about stuff we haven’t gotten to, even in tags.

VIDEOS
Episode 1 : Uncut | Cut Feat. Ape Has Killed Ape
Episode 2 : Uncut | Cut Feat. Bobbin Threadbare
Episode 3 : Uncut | Cut Feat. Poison Mushroom
Episode 4 : Uncut | Cut Feat. Great Joe
Episode 5 : Uncut | Cut Feat. Lizard Wizard
Episode 6 : Uncut | Cut Feat. Skippy Granola
Side Mission Rundown Part 1 : Video Feat. Ape Has Killed Ape
Episode 7 : Uncut | Cut Feat. Vifs
Episode 8 : Uncut | Cut Feat. RandomNinja
Episode 9 : Uncut | Cut Feat. Bobbin Threadbare
Side Mission Rundown Part 2 : Digitial Trips Feat. The best part of the game
:nws:Episode 10 : Uncut | Cut:nws: Feat. Bobbin Threadbare
Episode 11 : Uncut | Cut Feat. Lizard Wizard
Episode 12 : Uncut | Cut Feat. Skippy Granola
Side Mission Rundown Part 3: Video Feat. Poker
Episode 13 : Uncut | Cut Feat. Great Joe
Episode 14 : Uncut | Cut Feat. RandomNinja
Episode 15 : The Sex Log Uncut | Cut Feat. Skippy Granola

The Heavenator fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This loving game.

You know, my love of Person Of Interest actually made me like this game a hell lot more than I should have, but it's wafer-thin plot eventually grinded that down to nothing.

Good luck with this one.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh man, I will happily wait for Jak 3 if it means going through this amazing example of what "NEXT GEN" is. Along with ~hacking~, beautiful, beautiful ~hacking~.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
He's making me sit through this entire game as revenge for All 4 One.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Oh dear, you're in for it now. Hope you show off how you can beat the guarded ctOS bases without firing a shot or even entering the area, otherwise you will be skipping one of the few unique things about the game.

Though thinking about it I'm guessing next to nobody who played the game even bothered to try that, because there's basically no benefit. Whoops.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 28, 2014

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
I didn't even get out of the first chapter of the game before uninstalling it.

CrashCat posted:

Oh dear, you're in for it now. Hope you show off how you can beat the guarded ctOS bases without firing a shot or even entering the area, otherwise you will be skipping one of the few unique things about the game.

Though thinking about it I'm guessing next to nobody who played the game even bothered to try that, because there's basically no benefit. Whoops.

I sat outside a underground parking garage and lobbed grenades through the only entrance, the security guards couldn't tell where I was. So we have have the terrible AI as well as terrible design to look forward to.

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart
Man, I wish I could take all the random people descriptions and put them into other games. Imagine those descriptions coming up in a competitive multiplayer game like Call of Duty whenever you look at another player. It seems like someone had a lot of fun coming up with those and it's a shame they're all wasted(?) on this game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

:sigh: My wife asked me to get her this game. I got it pretty cheap after some trading, but in the end she could barely play it for an hour before losing interest. I tried to make the most of it by playing it for her, but in the end I couldn't care either.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Blue Ghost posted:

I sat outside a underground parking garage and lobbed grenades through the only entrance, the security guards couldn't tell where I was. So we have have the terrible AI as well as terrible design to look forward to.
Oh yeah, showing off the silly combat AI will happen whether they try or not. I actually like that you can "lose" them instead of having them magically know where you are forever, but it leads to some nonsensical poo poo sometimes.

The multiplayer was probably the most unique aspect to me but I watched some people stream that and within the first couple of weeks they figured out how to abuse the mechanics to make it trivial.

Anyway settle in for a lot of "this could have been cool but" gameplay.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I liked the game. The multiplayer and the side missions were fun, cop chases were more interesting than GTA ones (But significantly easier) and the city has a good amount of verticality to it. This isn't a bad game, it's just a slightly dull one at times. At least all the mechanics in the game work and portions of it are entertaining.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I did actually like the game, once I got out of the plot and just started making my own fun. It's not unplayable really, just doesn't meet potential and full of flaws.

Lotish posted:

:sigh: My wife asked me to get her this game. I got it pretty cheap after some trading, but in the end she could barely play it for an hour before losing interest. I tried to make the most of it by playing it for her, but in the end I couldn't care either.
There's something about the beginning that really just falls flat, maybe because Aiden's an unlikeable douche or maybe they just spoonfeed the tutorial out too slowly. My dad watched me play the Destiny beta for hours with great interest even though there's barely a peep to the story early on and he lost total interest looking at this within the first hour or two, even when I gave up on the lovely plot and just ran off to dick around.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I love that the plot takes itself ultra seriously even though it's basically

this gif, played straight.

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!
Guessing this plays better with an analog controller? Keyboard toggles your styrofoam car between "stopped" and "mach 3," got this game as a free bundle and still didn't get my money's worth.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
All right, so...

TUTORIAL: Track down this crime that MIGHT be committed and stop it by chasing the perp down before he commits the crime and killing him.
PLAYER: Immediately carjacks someone. Nobody seems to give a poo poo.

Imagine if GTA gave you a wanted star every time you walked past a car you COULD have stolen. That would be fun.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

geri_khan posted:

Only after you get the power that lets you hack car locks. Until then, Aiden actually smashes through the driver window to steal it. If there are any civilians in the area, one of them will usually call the police.

Of course, the ability to hack car locks is the first power-up in the driving tree, and you need to get it to grab the other driving power-ups, so this quickly becomes a non-issue :(

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

geri_khan posted:

All right, so...

TUTORIAL: Track down this crime that MIGHT be committed and stop it by chasing the perp down before he commits the crime and killing him.

Imagine if GTA gave you a wanted star every time you walked past a car you COULD have stolen. That would be fun.
Better yet, crime-ESP is very similar to a later plot point, but nobody loving cares that you had this sort of magic all along. Well, more of a backstory point because Watch Dogs refuses to do anything but hint at the remotely interesting poo poo.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

It's very kind of the game to admit that it's treating hacking as magic straight off the bat. This is like a 90's hacking movie plot if wireless devices had been invented twenty years ago.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Endorph posted:

Yeah, that's honestly one of the biggest problems i had with it. The story is way to full of itself, its same issue with assassins creed 1. but at least assassins creed 1 didn't feel like a lovely gta clone, and gently caress at least Altair grows as a character.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's very kind of the game to admit that it's treating hacking as magic straight off the bat. This is like a 90's hacking movie plot if wireless devices had been invented twenty years ago.

The year is 2014. It is the future. :shrug:

I've read two books about real-life super-hackers, and both were gym-junkies, so the martial prowess of our hero is not unrealistic, although his inspirations would have used cyber-bullying, not actual physical torture. But as we've seen Aiden doesn't have to worry about police or cleaning ladies.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012

OG17 posted:

Guessing this plays better with an analog controller? Keyboard toggles your styrofoam car between "stopped" and "mach 3,"

Would you believe that no, even with a controller the cars are awful? It's very easy to lose control and there really are no speeds between too fast and stopped. If you take a sportscar and try to make a U-turn from a stop you will spin out pretty much every time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I can already tell this game would be better if it was about the playful cleaner guy cleaning up after douchebags like our protagonist. Creatively using hacking wizardry and setting up crime scenes to tell the stories you want to tell would be fun. Aiden does not look fun.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is he spying on his sister with hidden cameras? What the gently caress game?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Endorph posted:

There is not enough hypocrisy in this gif to fully capture Aiden Pierce, but there's time to talk about that when we get to see more of him in action.

Also is this the first Next-Gen LP on the subforum? Hell of a game to start it off if it is! Despite all the problems i really love this game alot and i hope it has Assassin's Creed Syndrome so that the next game will be considered the "real" start of the series.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Also is this the first Next-Gen LP on the subforum? Hell of a game to start it off if it is! Despite all the problems i really love this game alot and i hope it has Assassin's Creed Syndrome so that the next game will be considered the "real" start of the series.
Watch Dogs is not a next gen game. It's perfectly happy on my PS3 and it probably should have only been on that generation, to be honest. I can even drive the cars at a speed between zero and maximum on that version!

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

kalonZombie posted:

He's making me sit through this entire game as revenge for All 4 One.
Thanks for linking to the thread, looks fun. :)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Poil posted:

Is he spying on his sister with hidden cameras? What the gently caress game?

He's Big Brother.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

He's Big Brother.
:golfclap:

That's the least creepy of the poo poo he'll do by the end of the game, sadly. I sort of get what they're going for, if the player is always an rear end in a top hat in these games, why shouldn't the player's character be one too? Problem is GTA 5 did it better three different ways in a single game. Three complete assholes that are assholes in different ways and all more likeable than fuckwit Aiden.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

CrashCat posted:

Watch Dogs is not a next gen game. It's perfectly happy on my PS3 and it probably should have only been on that generation, to be honest. I can even drive the cars at a speed between zero and maximum on that version!

Besides there's already been a few Wii U LPs.

What? It totally counts.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

The thing to also realize is that at one point Aiden and his sister WERE husband and wife. I don't know where along the line sombody decided to change that ( i guess because sibling relationships aren't somthing you see in a lot of games ergo it'd be cool?) but they didn't change ANYTHING else that happens in this game. Also keep that in mind as we go along.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The thing to also realize is that at one point Aiden and his sister WERE husband and wife. I don't know where along the line sombody decided to change that ( i guess because sibling relationships aren't somthing you see in a lot of games ergo it'd be cool?) but they didn't change ANYTHING else that happens in this game. Also keep that in mind as we go along.
Holy poo poo, that explains a lot (that I can't get into yet). :eyepop:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

CrashCat posted:

That's the least creepy of the poo poo he'll do by the end of the game, sadly. I sort of get what they're going for, if the player is always an rear end in a top hat in these games, why shouldn't the player's character be one too? Problem is GTA 5 did it better three different ways in a single game. Three complete assholes that are assholes in different ways and all more likeable than fuckwit Aiden.

Yeah, that's a risky gambit to pull: there are games that have good integration of player habits into character personalities: Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 2&4, and Deadly Premonition are the four that immediately spring to mind for me that could be called of the same genre as Watch_Dogs- Assassins Creed 2 and 4 could count as well, actually. The thing is that in these games there is an ever-present element of fun; all these games have serious moments (and I do mean :stonk: levels of serious) but they use the open world to their advantage to let the player sort of relax and have fun, and it's still character based because you're sort of doing what the characters do in their downtime, whether it's gleeful slaughter (The Boss), being fairly straight-laced while stumbling into a whole lot of weird poo poo and going through with it based on character flaws (Wei Shen), or acting like a Martian for reasons that make sense only to yourself (York). The critical thing too is that in each of these games the city has a very distinct personality that feeds into it (well, maybe not so much Steelport, but I was having too much fun running up buildings and ripping cars and telephone poles from the concept of gravity by running down the street to really care). The characters are relaxed and having fun in an interesting place and so are you. Aiden on the other hand is grim as all hell and Chicago's main personality seems to be "crime ridden and filled to the brim with sexual perversions", which is a hell of a lot less fun than an underground fight club or having to take a human skeleton from a dog house along with a magical revolver that never runs out of bullets.

e: sure Aiden can spy on people, but until the FBI is paying him for it so he'll clean his clothes it doesn't count, and hacking lacks the personal charm of peeking through the blinds. Come to think of it a lot of Deadly Premonition's mechanics would help with this game, at least it would show the game knows how much of a total goon Aiden is. Throw in Sleeping Dogs' approach to chest high walls (which are not for cover but for badass action movie slides so you can go into a slow motion kill streaks) and you would have yourself a game, but both of those are predicated on the games they are from maybe taking themselves a little less seriously than this one.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 28, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CrashCat posted:

I'm pretty sure the reason the protags of GTA5 work as well as they do (which is debatable, because they get some hate too) is they don't pretend to think they're the good guys. Aiden has a hero complex.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Oh gods, is he going to give off siscon vibes too? :gonk:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Poil posted:

Well, Ubisoft looked at how much players seemed to like the Borgias...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, I remember this game. I also rememer it being faintly racist to boot; or maybe I was in a more foul mood than usual after seeing how lack-luster it was.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Poil posted:

IIRC it's more like "ex who won't go away" vibes

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Poil posted:

Wrong thread for the greek stuff, that's kalons department :v:

Samovar posted:

Yeah, I remember this game. I also rememer it being faintly racist to boot; or maybe I was in a more foul mood than usual after seeing how lack-luster it was.

I don't know, that guys little song about getting sued by santa or whatever was pretty rad.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Poil posted:

Put it this way, the first time I actually paid attention to them telling me she was his sister, I was horribly confused. I had just assumed from the context she was his estranged/separated/divorced wife.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 29, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

You never payed attention to the times where the kid or the sister refers to him as "Uncle" Aiden?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
It's just like home, this game. Minus the crazy guy hacking everyone's phones, but I'm okay with that.

• Locked thread