Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

This game would be great if it weren't so terrible!

Normally I'm the type of guy to insist that there's no such thing as a bad idea, just badly executed ideas.

Sometimes that does come with the caveat that for some ideas "played seriously" is inherently a bad execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Great Joe posted:

A few games before Watch_Dogs have had video distortions as an artistic choice thing. Most just have chromatic aberration (rainbows on edges) when there's a violent shake of the camera, and then Max Payne 3 turned that into overdrive to show just how drunk/hung over Max was. Thing is, there's no art to how Watch_Dogs employs the effect, it's just...there, there's no impact to it.

Most of the time when I see video distortions and suchlike used as a stylistic choice, it's to communicate that something's wrong or off or compromised (like, oh I don't know, Max Payne 3). Watch_Dogs just kinda uses it wherever the gently caress because they made a game about hacking and they couldn't think of a stylistic gimmick for that. It doesn't symbolize something or even have a consistent message, it's just there because someone on the dev team went, "Well, gently caress, I don't know, I guess it looks cool sometimes," and no one else could think of an argument more compelling than that for why they shouldn't use it.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
You know what I'm like, almost willing to accept the bandanna. He's a crime guy. He's doing crime. Anything he can do to keep people from connecting him to the crime he does is a good idea. It just falls apart when you combine it with the rest of the "I wish I was Batman" package.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Thesaya posted:

Minor nitpick, it's not protein that vegans need to supplement, you can easily get enough from lentils, bean, tofu and soy products. On the other hand, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Calcium and Iron are supplements all or most Vegans should take.

I tell you what though, it's a hell of an expensive lifestyle either way.

TCat posted:

So what you're telling me is Vegans need to get out in the drat sun more.
Amusing somehow.

I remember once a time on a different forum a guy was telling us the story of the time his vegan roommate had a friend over. It was crazy late at night, like ten o'clock or something, when they realize "holy poo poo I'm starving". No one had been shopping that week so they were practically out of food. They went around tearing the kitchen apart looking for something that was vegan enough to eat. They ended up having gummy worms for dinner.

Gummy worms aren't vegan, by the way, but I don't think they knew that.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Sorry to burst your tech-talk but Adobe has not, by any definition I would ever use, made Flash better to use for animation. If anything they've crippled it further in an effort to force people to use it for websites that make your computer explode (Dreamweaver is intended for more conventional websites). If I understand my history correctly, back when Flash was a Macromedia product it actually was intended for animation, but Adobe saw its potential to suck really really terribly.

Bonus Adobe poo poo-talking: Someone did the math a little while ago and, if you were upgrading to the latest Creative Suite version every couple of years when they'd worked out most of the bugs, as a subscriber to Creative Cloud you're paying approximately twice as much as you used to, for the least functional version of the product. I like to tell people this any time I get the impression they haven't heard it before, because then I can make a joke about how Adobe still making a profit on lovely products proves that libertarians are wrong.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

In another instance of the game showing what it should've been about, Watch_Dogs should've been about a dystopia controlled by gaming, where you'd need to go on digital trips to impress the punk gamer underground and tech-savvy crime lords who take them way too seriously. It would be played completely straight, and all the characters would remain the same.

It's amazing how nothing but context can turn lovely writing into still-bad-but-better writing.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I donno, like...was that necessary?

Not from you guys. You guys had to do it because the game said so. Was it necessary for the game to do that? It seems like if we're going to have a big old human trafficking sequence that might as well just be the whole plot of the game. There are plenty less heinous ways to show an old white rich guy is evil. To put something like this in and then just never talk about it again is not only bad writing, it kind of makes you look like a bad person because you're just blowing it off all "Oh yeah, it's no big, no one really mentions it after the one time."

What in the actual gently caress, Ubisoft.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I don't remember Doug! My secret is that even as a child I already hated Doug, so I never watched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I think "Chin" is an actual Chinese name, so whether it's racist or not depends on where Jordi's ancestors are supposed to be from.

• Locked thread