Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Going in to the Orb vault for the first time ever, any tips on the final hurdle and ascension run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I just managed my first win with a HOfi of Makhleb. I forgot to get a morgue dump so I'll just let you know: he was awesome.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

megane posted:

Power Leap could use bikeshedding though.

Leap of Faith

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I don't know if this is new or what, but I just opened a door to a room which then disappeared revealing an altar of Xom and five sheep which then caught fire.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Man I cannot manage a GrEE. I mean I just died to killer bees, as a gargoyle. How?!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

They were berserked by a queen bee and I could not kill nor outrun them even with boots of running :(

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm pretty sure the advice here would be to go up again and come down another stairs, but there's an orc standing on it.

At least there's a cool artifact armour...oh wait

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

If it helps I've found 2 akashic records in my current game by like l:4 which in not using?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I would appreciate some tips for this character:

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Aston/Aston.txt

This is the first Gargoyle Wizard of Ashenzari I've got past Lair 1 with, and I'm not really sure what to do with him. I think my end goal is going to be a hybrid, and I'd like to look into at least some of extended endgame but I haven't done it before. I've cleared Dungeon, Lair, Spider, Swamp, Orc apart from one room with St Roka, and Vaults down to 4 where Mara is, and normally I'd go for Depths or Elf 1-2 here. As you can probably tell my skill training is all over the place. Please help!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Before I read this I picked up a great mace, enchanted it to +9, and cursed it. Except it was holy wrath.

I was thinking this would be good for all the places with demons and undead coming up but would it be better to just re-brand it and curse it?

I can also buy the Hat of Ponderousness, is this a good item? I'm so confused!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

When are imps going to be a playable race ?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

IronicDongz posted:

Why would imps be a playable race?

I'm not sure I understand this question

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

IronicDongz posted:

Like, what would be the mechanical differences between them and species that already exist?

The other species are not imps, but this one would be an imp.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Found a cool new altar vault today

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm on the precipice of delving into extended for the first time, and I'm wondering what the best order to do things in is. This is what I look like at the moment, with the plan to clear zot then do one of Hell/Pan/Tomb. Are there any particular strategies for any of these? Also, am I missing any key spells? The only one I'm really looking at at the moment is Deflect Missiles.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

pathetic little tramp posted:

Always try to enter. Every portal has an exit pretty much right next to the entrance. If you enter an ice cave and see 3 ice fiends and an army of ice devils you can 99% of the time pull a grampa going into the burlesque house

Not labyrinths though

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

If you think shattering vaults:5 is fun, try shattering tomb:3

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I understand that one of the best god routes for post game is Zin -> The Shining One. I'm currently playing a MiMo of Okawaru with the intent of taking him to 15 runes, so I have a couple of questions:-

1. How bad is Okawaru wrath?
2. When should I convert to Zin?
3. When should I convert to TSO?

As far as I can tell, TSO is good for Tomb and Zin is good for Hell and Pan, but then I don't see why you should bother going to TSO at all for just that branch due to the piety loss. Am I missing something?

Also I got my second win a couple days ago with the GrWz I was asking for help with, so thanks to everyone that gave me tips!

Morgue

I guess I play pretty slow, comparing my time to the other ones on the server.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Is this worth buying: 954 gold "the +10 halberd "Freor" {speed, rPois rF- rC+ rN+ Str+1}"

Main weapon is axes but I am trained in polearms too a bit.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

kaschei posted:

Would you use it right now over your best axe?

Probably not I guess, my axe is pretty bitchin

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Is there a good place to look for bits to add to my rc file? I haven't been able to find anything on the wiki or the site.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Thanks for this. I couldn't see what I was after, which was for (edible) corpses to be butchered automatically during auto-explore, is this possible?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

It's not really my night tonight.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I just decided to yolo and tabbed into his face, which surprisingly worked, but then I got murdered by some orcs before I could find the upstairs.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

kaschei posted:

I messed around with this a while back and this is what I came up with:

http://crawl.develz.org/configs/trunk/raskol.rc

If you include that file (copy and paste into your RC if you're not on CDO) and rebind o to explore_epb you will eat (if you have chunks and are hungry), butcher (if you are hungry but chunkless and see an edible corpse), pray (if you are following a sacrifice god, not hungry, and on a corpse), or explore.

I think I had trouble getting it to loop? I can't remember if I left it in a working state where you have to keep pressing o over and over again or if I managed to loop while you feel safe. Feel free to modify it (if you fix something let me know so I can fix it too), remove parts you don't like, or let me know about problems, though I can't guarantee I'll fix it anytime soon.

Thanks, I'll give it a try but I am basically clueless when it comes to any sort of code so I'm not sure I'll be able to add anything.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

kaschei posted:

Yeah I put eat_chunk in when eating was done by the script instead of a_e_c, so I just commented it out, and I added felids to the list of people that are hungry when they're not Engorged rather than when they're not satiated. Thanks.

I gave it a go but when I hit autoexplore I got stuck in an eating loop.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

so I copied what you had posted into my rc file, except for the first two lines which were already in there.

Then rebound o to 'explore_epb' (or at least I think I did, I pressed ~ k o and put explore_epb in the box)

This is what I get:

It seems to ask if I want to eat everything in my inventory. The first time I did it was with a brand new character, and I got the message "you can't eat that!" a whole lot and had to click through 3 times or so to clear it all.

This is my current character if that helps.

E: I guess whilst it's up there: is rod of inaccuracy good (both in general and for this character)? There's a +2 one available in a shop somewhere. Also can they be enchanted up like weapons?

Aston fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 27, 2014

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

So I'm trying to do Slime 6 by Scroll of Vulnerability and wand of polymorph. I've given it a go at Evocations 19.5ish, with no luck - what kind of level should evocations be to manage this, or should I have just kept zapping the polymorph wand?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I do have a lot of evocable summoning things....

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Erm, it does, I can see it right there!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

So I got Lom Lobon's rune for the first time, but I didn't kill him whilst doing it, and now he's starting showing up on other levels of Pandemonium. Is he going to keep chasing me until I do kill him? Can he appear on the levels of the unique lords? Why is he such a sore loser?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

That is pretty much exactly what I was going to go until I had this unwelcome news that they can't content themselves with an insurance claim or whatever. Do they only chase you in pan or can they get you in other branches too?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Arrhythmia posted:

Just pan and the orb run. Hell lords will not chase you, while we're at it.

With the pan lords definitely show up on every level of pan after you get their rune, and if not is there a maximum amount of time after which you can be sure they won't be joining you? I'm tiptoeing around Gloorx's (I think) level too scared to go fight him in case Lom also shows up but not wanting to leave without the rune either.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Eh in the end he never showed up again. First 15 rune character complete!

Incidentally is there a better way to view your morgue on completion than just dumping the character on the D:1 exit?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

And they say cooking isn't in this game.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Well jellies aren't typically famous for their agility

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

This is D:3

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

vOv posted:

My biggest problem when I was starting out (and even still) is that I'd rush through things and die with five potions of heal wounds that I'd completely forgotten about. Whenever you're in a tight spot, go through all your consumables and see if any of them might help.

As an addendum to this, when you think you might be in trouble slow down as much as you can before doing anything. I think there's an instinct to speed up when you're running away from something, but you have to fight this and take it a step at a time.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Stoat posted:

FR: Chei's sister who loves everything fast, rewards you piling through areas without stopping to kill anything, punishes resting.

The speedrun god

This actually sounds great. I'm picturing you getting faster and faster movement speed with piety but you lose stats as you do so, and gain piety for exploring but it decays very slowly. Top level invocable ability would be a combination of haste and tornado. Top title would be <race> Blur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

FR: give Mummy Summoners a bar that fills up as they kill enemies, and can unleash a powerful special attack when it's full.

• Locked thread