Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Why are the new Spider tiles in Trunk so... oddly coloured? They look like they're trying to go for some weird stylized shading compared to the rest of the tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Can someone give me the details on Beogh gifting equipment to follower Orcs? I seen him give shields and stuff. Does he also upgrade equipment that you give to your followers using the final power? I'm not sure if I should hold off using that power until I find a really huge meal ticket weapon like a branded Bardiche or if I should just go with quicker "upgrades" because I have named Orcs with great armor who are yet still holding terrible mundane whips.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I only use Swiftness in the one situation where I'm already in a few squares range of the stairs upwards and I need to create that 1 square break between my pursuers so they don't follow me.

Every time else, I'm always afraid of a "out of the frying pan and into the fire" type of situation to the point where I usually forget to use Swiftness even in the above situation.

Feels kind of sad to me knowing its power before the change was implemented.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Darnit, I lost my Beogh Orc for a stupid reason of underestimating a Storm Dragon, he dealt like 70 damage with a bolt bounce to me. (although somehow I was very squishy this game, I've noticed)

Maybe I ought to use polearms along with the rest of my Orc Buddies...

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Meunkin posted:

Started an OgHu in 0.15, question about throwing - does it still use STR as the main contributor to damage from stats? Or is INT ultimately more worthwhile?
After the Ranged revamp, ranged combat basically works like melee except from afar, so no, Strength gives the same ~2.5% increase in damage per point to Throwing like it does to everything else it affects.

So yeah, go take INT.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Jeez, so much VS love nowadays when someone realized how much damage the Anti-Magic Bite did.

Hawkgirl posted:

I think I last played Crawl seriously around .11 or .12 so I really want to play with Qazlal or the other new god (the stealth one?)... Can anyone give me a suggestion for an easy race/class that would take to either god well?
Hill Orc for Qazlal. High Invocations which means super powered abilities, is good at melee so you can beat up everyone when Qazlal inevitably sends the entire level after you by being extremely noisy.

As for Dith... I don't know really, he supports Stabbing so whichever stealth class that you enjoy, I suppose, but I kind of think he's a god you choose to branch into stealth rather than compliment stealth builds because that's putting too many eggs in one basket.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

amuayse posted:

Will Lava Orcs and Djinns ever be implemented in stable or are they just stuck forever in limbo? I'm asking because I played a weird race called Plutonians that were pretty fun, but unlikely to pass review.
Weren't they removed/junked quite a long time ago? Djinn's gimmick was considered too unbalancable I believe, while Lava Orcs are... well they're Orcs except stupidly good with a mechanic that seems complex but doesn't really have that much of an effect on how you play the game.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

OgHu of Dith...

Ninjogre is pretty fun.
Yeah, I actually support this. An Ogre of Dith is actually one of the furthest I've ever taken an Ogre and lots of fun.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

amuayse posted:

How do I play as a mage follower of Gozag?
It's kind of irritating to get all this gold and no corpses since Gozags whisks them all away to sell them for their organs on the black market.
Playing as an archetype that's really hungering for a Gozag worshipper doesn't seem like an optimal plan... unless you're playing a mummy or something.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

If I can't pick up chunks currently after butchery, then either auto-explore should replace a rotten chunk slot or ignore them.
I swear there's an option in the rcfile to trigger that.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Don't Nagas have innate rPois anyway?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Why do player Merfolk have such ludicrously awful MR?
Not any worse than Humans, I believe.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Hurray, I ascended a Merfolk Berserker! Now if only I was actually in the tournament so that would be worth anything... playing Berserkers is just a break from dying all the time for me.

Also is the LearnDB entry for Sack of Spiders which says "Probably the best item in the game" sarcastic? I mean, items that summon stuff are nice but I had 3 of them this game and I can't really tell how it's supposed to be much better than any of the rest.

By the way PleasingFungus, are you interested in any Beogh feedback?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Ok, here are my Beogh thoughts. I hope I gotten across some concepts because I think I might not have communicated that well here.

I think there's a kernel of interesting concept that attracts people to play Beogh characters, mostly in the region of getting attached to permanent named followers (their text is rather cute) but in terms of improving your character's ability to win, he's held back by quite some things and has some counter-intuitive play to him.

I think the very first thing a new player is going to do with Beogh is collect this huge army and then bring them every where, but that just kind of ends up screwing them over because the follower EXP is spread too thin and eventually you'll just end up with a pile of dead orcs and wasted EXP.

It's basically much better to only bring around 2-4 orcs, the less you can get away with the better, which ensures that not only will they get more EXP each, rank up faster and Beogh's blessings will be more focused on a couple of orcs instead of being too spread out.

The interface seems to support this style of play too. When I learned about the "Recall, let a couple of Orcs come in, then cancel Recall" trick my gameplay seemed to significantly improve since it allows you to summon your strongest orcs to your side and focus on them, although it's sometimes random on who it decides to summon. It's much harder to try to single out some newbie vanilla orcs to try to get them some EXP so you can have back-up reserves in case your tough guys die.

Because of this, there's basically this effect where it's a bit of a gamble because you want to reach the point where your elite Orcs are so super buff by getting a lot of rank ups and blessings that it's unlikely they'll die barring freak occurrences like being hit by 2 crystal spears in a row or something. But before you reach that point, if you get unlucky like say, a bad terrain + bad monster spawn that leads your orcs to be unable to escape, then your investment is down the drain.

This effect can cause a bit of a "tumbling downhill" effect where the later you get in the game, the less likely you'll ever be able to train newbie orcs back up to a level where they'll survive late game monsters, especially since they use the same Monster AI as everything else, which is to run forward and melee the enemies even if they have spells and maybe only use their abilities sometimes.

And without your Orcs followers, you're close to being an religion-less character. Smite is a pretty boring ability and I don't think it's very good considering its piety to damage ratio since it only targets 1 enemy and has no additional effect outside of its smite targeting. It's Beogh's only Invocations based ability too, and that's not unique amongst gods but it does make it feel like a bit of a waste to put points in Invocations and ironically a waste of Orc's +3 apt in that department.

I'm not quite sure how much Beogh's passive buffs of armours do as well. Walk on Water basically just sort of semi-compensates for the fact that Orc followers are bad in the water branches. For some reason I was lucky enough to spawn Shoals more often than Swamps but I assume trying to bring your orcs to the latter just means a lot of drowned corpses.

Something non-intuitive also is that since follower Orcs uses the monster damage formula (AFAIK), I'm actually kind of curious as to how their damage is calculated. Would giving them a Scythe like Sigmund be much better than other Polearms since monsters don't calculate attack delay the way players do? I dunno.

Regarding equipping your followers now, I have a couple of things to bring up. Since you have to manually gift your Orcs equipment now, that means you have to identify a lot of weapons/armour to see how good they are, and unless you have a bountiful supply of Identify Scrolls it generally means you got to manhandle them yourself, which sucks when the Brand turns out to be "Distortion"

This would be less of a problem if you could give them more than 1 item, since then you won't have to agonize over whether you made the "right choice" instead of blowing your one and only chance on said Orc, but being that it is the way it is right now... well...

If Beogh would help you identify brands on weapons/armour that you carry in your inventory, I think that would help. I guess it would kind of step on Ash's toes a little though.

Though honestly, it seems like the best gift you can deliver to an Orc is a Polearm weapon if he doesn't have one already. It just helps so much with positioning.

Incidentally, since Beogh enchants follower equipments now, it seems like having the equipment they are holding be already branded is more important since Beogh will add a bunch of numbers and even increase their base types sometimes, but he'll never add a brand. Should Beogh be allowed to do so? It would be nice if he added a resist ego to my follower Orc's plate armour...

Needing an Orc to be named to be able to give him an item is also annoying. Like, maybe you have a huge awesome piece of Plate Armour or Polearm that you want to give to a newbie Orc to better increase its survivability so he can make it to the big time but no, he's not named so you can't.

The other thing involving equipment and orcs (although unrelated to gifting) - Beogh worshippers have a bit of an issue with getting equipment. Normally doing Orc Mines is a nice way to pick up new Weapons/Armours for most characters but for Beoghites, they... tend to be stuck in the hands of new Vanilla orcs recruits that you can't intentionally kill because that would make Beogh angry.

And with the "hard to raise Orcs" problem I mention, it's not very likely that you can pick out the Orcs who are holding good equipment and try to build them up to get some use out of it. The interface just doesn't really allow it. I found myself having to do some rather weird things with shouting orders and using stairs until I can get all of the weaklings killed in order to harvest their equipment for either personal use or follower gifts.

Here's my suggestions for Beogh
1) Adjust the "EXP spread" rate to followers. i.e Rather than just splitting all incoming follower XP equally (2 Orcs = 50% each, 4 Orcs = 25% each etc), have a spread that grants more EXP overall if you have more Orcs but having more means they're spread out and so each individual Orc will rank up slower.

Something like say (2 Orcs = 80% (160% total), 4 Orcs = 50% each (200% total) etc, 6 Orcs = 40% each (240$ total) ). These numbers aren't mathematically correct but you get the idea.

Same thing with blessings.

This will encourage and make it more possible to maintain larger Orc armies.

2) Some sort of system involving the EXP of dead Orcs. Maybe when an Orc dies, part of his acquired XP goes to other nearby Orcs through Orc spirit fellowship or something. Maybe it goes to into a big Beogh's afterlife pool of Orc souls which is an XP container which you can distribute to your other Orcs.

Just something to help soften against the whole "oh god, my Orc Knight was only 1 day away from Warlord retirement before a mottled dragon set him on fire! All that effort down the drain!"

3) Another Invocations based ability, perhaps coupled with the above suggestion - Evangelize - a "piety dump" that gives a vanilla Orc a whole bunch of blessings/EXP instantly and turns him named? Maybe it uses the dead Orc XP pool as a built-in limiter to make it a more end-game thing.

Helps against the "all my orcs are dead in the late game and Beogh just gives me lame Vanilla orcs and I can't even gift them any items to help"

It would be nice to have another unique Invocations based ability for Beogh anyway. Like when Yred got Enslave Soul, which was a really nice addition to his set.

4) (Probably not) Summon Demon invocation. Hey, I mean, High Priests can do it, and if we're granting Smite as a power to be thematic to normal Orc priests than why not Demon summoning?

Yeah OK, not happening because it steps on Mahkleb's toes.
---
So yeah, those are my Beogh thoughts.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

kaschei posted:

Beogh is cool with necromancy anyway, so there's got to be an Evil necromantic version of ghost-martyrs, although Beogh would consider them failures fit to be used and discarded.

That does reminds me, I seem to recall reading somewhere that Beogh hates desecrating Orc remains. Orc corpses are red, and you can't eat them, but he's totally OK with you turning them into skeletons and zombies apparently through Animate Skeleton and Raise Dead.

So basically his moral tiers are that eating your fellow Orcs ranks higher than turning them into former shambling mockeries of unlife.

Or maybe it's a bug, I don't know.

quote:

I think it's hilarious that Beogh inverts canonization by having living Saints, while anyone who dies must have been a false Messiah.
He's very practical.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Aye, I tend to ramble on game design stuff, I guess. I should probably have cut out (4) from my final post, at least.

On a non-Beogh/Orc related topic...

Jeez, looks like there's some new tiles in trunk for weapons and I have to say the new club tiles displeases me. They're so thin and scrawny, which might be fitting for a mundane lame club, but certainly not for Giant Spiked Clubs! I prefer my clubs thick and beefy, something that looks like it would really pack a wallop if you hit the enemy with them, thank you very much!

(I'm not really that displeased, though I'm still not fond of tiles changing because it forces me to have to mentally re-memorize things)

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Roctavian posted:

GSC tiles haven't changed, AFAIK?
Huh, looks like they haven't... weird...

I swear in my Merfolk game, I came across an Artefact GSC which looked kind of wimpy from the tiles icon but it was branded with high numbers and speed. I remember it as a huge case of "oh god why am I not an Ogre right now" feeling. Maybe it was just my imagination? Or is there a unique randart GSC with speed?

kaschei posted:

Do they, by any chance (not being a tiles player myself) resemble Kanabo? They're referenced in the flavor text for giant spiked clubs is why I ask.
They don't really look like Kanabo to me, although ironically the Eveningstar icon (middle left) does remind me of it more.

(From top to bottom, left to right:
New club tile, Giant Club, Giant Spiked Club
Eveningstar, Artefact GSC (wow, never seen one before, it's so garish!)
Artefact club (interesting, looks more like a rod to me))

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Badforums.txt posted:

2. I have NO problems with having challenge Races. However, It is a BIG mistake to have Ogres fill in that gap. (It is by far the worst design choice made by the devs for this game IMHO)
Hey!

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

LordSloth posted:

Now that 0.15 is out, I honestly can't think of any other gameplay systems that'll have a huge impact on them, unless someone decides to overhaul the stats system.
Exponential damage increase for particularly high values of strength which favors the big races.

Or is that too arbitary?

More advantages for being big in general... I would like to see a new race that's designed as an easy Large race, really. Somewhere around Minotaur power level.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Jeffrey posted:

Doesn't troll kind of fit this bill? I mean it has it's own strange food thing but they are pretty simple as far as crawl races go. They don't have the crazy aptitudes of minotaurs but they have crazy damage instead.
Trolls sort of peter out after the early game in my opinion, compared to how invincible a Minotaur (and Gargoyles but Gargs are just nuts) can get.

They're not terrible and still average out to I think "medium" level difficulty through the course of a game. I think Trolls in the late-game need a bit of finesse to play though that might not seem obvious to newbies like still training up certain support spells with their terrible apts.

The only really "easy mode" Trolls would be Large Rock turrets.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

kaschei posted:

Just heard in IRC that following a good god doesn't give a chance for "good" stuff to be friendly to you, meaning mennas is a menace to followers of good gods and followers of good gods can find Holy Pan and everything inside will hate them.
I remember this used to be the case and a drawing point (for me anyway) of worshipping a good god would be not having to fight Mennas if he spawned later on in the game.

I don't know why they decided to change it though.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Darnit, trying to ascend a Xom worshipper (as another class who transitions to Xom, I'm not masochistic enough to ascend a Chaos Knight) is harder than I thought. He doesn't have any panic buttons and tries to kill you once in a while and in return you get (sometimes) a nice mutation set and maybe some useful items (this time Xom gifted me a Wand of Hasting in between all his food gifts, that's nice)

Anyway my most recent Xom run ended when he teleported me next to the Lerneanean Hydra while I was trying to ninja the Swamp rune.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Gozag seems to need some help/buffs. Seems like you don't even consider the guy unless you find a bunch of shops with good items before you come across his altar. Which is not a common scenario IMO but clustering illusion.

Potion petition has a high chance of giving you combinations that are worthless to your current situation or overcosted yet not even as powerful a panic button as most other gods abilities. I guess maybe this is good in the late game once you have bought everything you need and need a gold dump but jeez, maybe make the gold cost scale with level or something.

Gold distraction seems too rare to be of any real tactical use.

Opening shops is probably his best power, but pretty luck-based in that you might not get the right shop that you want (thanks for those choices of opening food shops!) and takes way too long to pay off IMO - you need to scrounge up the money to open the shop, then go to a new floor and find the shop, and all the while Gozag isn't really giving you any help on surviving to that point because Potion petition is not good.

Also the fact that he has a painful worshipping drawback... yes, it's nice flavor, a Midas reference but Gozag really needs to be way better than other gods (most of whom require mostly ignorable conducts) to justify having a "might make you starve to death with poor loot generation" drawback!

Why the tithe anyway? Flavor aside, it makes Gozag's painful early game more painful because you just took away a bit of the resource needed to power his abilities.

Davzz fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 13, 2014

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

apple posted:

EDIT: I regret reading that Troll of Jiyva guide in the wiki
I spotted the problem.

Though I wish I had some way of playing Jivya characters without playing Sprint, since I never do Extended.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

kaschei posted:

Troll of Jiyva sounds OP, once you actually find Jiyva (the most OP god).
What's annoying is that sometimes Jivya altar appears in Lair (in front of slime), but usually not, and it seems like whenever I try to save my religion choice and dive to Jivya it inevitably ends up that his altar isn't there, until I decide to just play a normal Troll and worship something else, at that point the Jivya altar usually appears, Xom-style.

I know it's just a concidence but still

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Uh, why the heck does just about every Spider enemy corpses give a measly 1-3 gold when worshipping Gozag?

I guess he's doing some sort of calculation based on how much of the "corpse mass" turns into gold? Because spiders are definitely much more lethal than a bunch of other enemies...

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Ah man, I just lost a promising Draconian to being careless around an Ice Fiend. Forgetting about their cold-blooded nature until it is too late...

Still, one step closer to ascending a Gozag character, maybe I'll skill up better this time - I got the Wild Magic mutation which hindered things and that really sucks and I have no idea why it's considered beneficial.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

BurgerQuest posted:

How do I inventory management?

Advice appreciated.
Honestly I think the biggest inventory management thing is that you generally only need 1 wand of each kind that you think you'll use... it's rare that you want to use a entire wand charge worth of Lightning Bolts and not be able to just return to your stash and pick them up.

Also drop those low level wands like Flame/Frost and Magic Dart, they'll do you no good at this point.

And for that matter, leave your strategic scrolls like Enchant Weapon on the floor too, no point carrying them in your inventory. Carrying Recharge scrolls does have a tactical use though so you can choose to carry them if you're a wand/rod sort of guy.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Man, Air Elementalists are so obnoxious to play now.

Why do people keep saying Static Discharge is good? I always seem to empty an entire MP pool just to kill mid-level monsters... I'm pretty sure other elementalist spells kill MUCH more effectively.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I actually really miss Mahkleb starts. Most of the other starts that were removed tended to be mostly unworkable character concepts (Paladin and Priest who worship TSO and Zin, two deities that are mostly end-game, the melee/conjurations hybrid class whose name I forgot etc...) but Mahkleb CKs is kind of an unfortunate casualty because it was one deity that does work as a start.

Seriously, bring it back as... I dunno, Destruction Knight or something.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
What's the least painful Ru sacrifices to take? I'm here being scared that I might accidentally gimp myself. Is Purity as bad as it seems with malmutating you?

Ironically it does seem like sacrificing one of your hands is the least painful thing you can choose.

dis astranagant posted:

Makhleb CKs were removed part because someone hated having to press one additional key on start up and also hated starting with a god who didn't give him a button from the start. I personally despise both of these arguments and I know I'm not the only one.
I can see separation of CK from Xom and Mahkleb for reasons of tournament scoring because one's essentially a challenge game while the other is a good start and they probably shouldn't score the same, but that just means "just make a new background, it's not like we have limited number of slots for those"

As for the second reason... doesn't seem that hard to just move minor destruction to 0* if you ask me if that's the case, it's not like that ability is Berserk level of good.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Oops, lost my Ru character. Guess Cataclysm is really noisy.

If you choose Sacrifice Arcana, do you only get Piety if you actually trained the 3 magic skills that you're losing or something? I didn't budge an inch from 5* when I chose that.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Haven't been playing for a couple of months (since Ru was added?).

Is there any cool new stuff I should check out or changes that will kill me if I don't know about them?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
So, the wand changes that have been made recently... was the average number of charges on each wand you find raised as well or is it just that "weak" wands get a max charges buff?

I can't quite tell whether this is an improvement (if you have identify to spare) or a nerf. Feels like the latter to me?

Maxmaps posted:

but what are the perks of swords and axes?
For swords, mostly that they cross-train from Short Blades, so they're a perfect back-up weapon for a Stabber if you fail at stabbing.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

silentsnack posted:

Con: Enemy wand usage
This was definitely not something I've considered... yeah, I can see enemy using wands to toast you more often to be quite a huge con.

Though I don't really use Wand of RE past Lair.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

Speaking of weapons type, I seem to have some trouble getting polearms going on GrBes. Does anyone have a particular preference on this combo or on berserkers in general?
Just for weapon types? I find Maces & Flails to be the most consistent.

For a combat wombat character it's either that or Polearms.

I'm not a big fan of Axes outside of say, Orcs which get a whooping +3 to its apt.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I'm having stupid good luck involving having the Hat of the Alchemist showing up in a shop + a bunch of gadget shops.

In fact my issue now is that I'm paralyzed with decisions of which elemental evokers I should buy first.

Also I guess the recent wand changes is a buff to shop selling wands.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

Anyone want to write some words on making the best use of scrolls of acquirement? I got one on my GrBe (focusing on maces&flails) and picked staffs to get a rod which gave me a rod of shadows. I just picked up another scroll and I'm wondering what I should pick this time.

e: While I'm asking questions, what am I looking for in terms of an endgame quality weapon? I have a demon whip of venom right now and great mace of flaming as my two best weapons. Also, should I try ice caves without an rC?
Berserkers staff acquirement for rods is really nice and secret tech.

However, if you haven't acquired Heal Wounds or Haste wands yet, acquiring wand is a candidate.

If your feel that your resistances have huge gaping holes in them (especially for rF and MR), acquire either Armour or Jewelery.

And this doesn't really apply in your situation but if I get acquirement really early on a combat wombat character who isn't a Berserker, I usually go weapon because a good weapon drop early game can carry you pretty far. Trog worshippers are going to get a lot of free weapons anyway though so.

With those two weapons you listed, it's a question of whether you prefer defense (DW with Shield) or offense (the Great Mace). I would probably gamble a Brand Weapon on the Demon Whip because Venom isn't that great though. Flaming on the Great Mace is ok enough that I wouldn't attempt to gamble on it.

I like to poke my head into Ice Caves, you can always duck out at the first sign of trouble.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

FRINGE posted:

Whats the right way to use rods of inaccuracy? I have tried them with 15 evo and they still seem worse than real spells or rods of anything legit (lightning, etc..).
Kind of an obvious answer but against stuff that are fat but with low EV. Like most Giants.

If I'm a spellblaster, they can be either a nice emergency tool if you need a couple more blasts after expending your MP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Whoa, Triple Swords are back in the game? I guess they're just renamed Claymores or something but still... oh well, unfortunately Leech dropped so I think I'll be using that instead for the novelty factor of using a fixedart that I haven't seen before.

• Locked thread