Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I can't believe I just threw by unequipping my rC++ ring in ds(in FDA) to put on sustain abilities because I was sick of ability drain

I loving dropped Cerebov in the lava that run, there was no question of whether or not I could win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I can't wait to splat a million octopodes/ogres, starting roughly now

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
protip:cure your rot by standing next to a chaos knight ghost

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

:circlefap:
If I lose this game there is no redemption for me. Luckily I got a +7 trident of pain on D4 which has just absolutely carried me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

amuayse posted:

They should add orbs of reflection imho.
Actually yes.
Make it revolve in circles around the player and guaranteed reflect any projectiles that happen to be fired through it.

e:or, make condensation shield work like this(and be melted+ignored by fire) so that it's actually a cool spell to use

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 1, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the like, roughly equal to one chunk's nutrition from potions of blood doesn't make them at all worth picking up for anything that isn't a vampire. I gotta drop stuff to make room often enough already I don't need another set of potions that eventually turns into a different stack of potions

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

PleasingFungus posted:

By this argument, you'd want autopickup for chunks to be off by default.
...no? The main reason that I don't want potions of blood is that chunks already exist and are far more plentiful. If the game contained chunks, and also bloody chunks which worked the same way but were far less common and took up a different item slot, I wouldn't want those on auto-pickup either.
I wouldn't pick them up even if they didn't get me sick, I don't see why I would when I'll already have like 17 of both bread and meat rations by the time I head into crypt or wherever else vampires are anyway.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Eat poo poo, Cerebov.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I DID IT. I'M DONE.

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.15.0-13-gb296d5c (webtiles) character file.

11628952 Shard1697 the Conqueror (level 27, 271/271 (273) HPs)
             Began as a Hill Orc Skald on Sept 2, 2014.
             Was the Champion of the Shining One.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Sept 3, 2014!

The game lasted 08:33:17 (141406 turns).

Shard1697 the Conqueror (Hill Orc Skald)          Turns: 141406, Time: 08:33:18

HP 271/271 (273) AC 40     Str 25      XL: 27
MP  49/49        EV 22     Int 24      God: the Shining One [******]
Gold 14719       SH  0     Dex 18      Spells: 10 memorised, 38 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis .     a - +9 executioner's axe (holy)
rCold  + + .     Clarity  .     K - +8 ice dragon armour
rNeg   + + +     rCorr    .     (no shield)
rPois  +         rRot     .     B - +1 helmet "Grikug" {rPois Str+2 Int+3}
rElec  .         Spirit   .     w - +2 cloak "Ploluis" {Str+4 Slay+4}
SustAb .         Warding  .     v - +2 pair of fencer's gloves {EV+3 Dex+6 Slay+2}
rMut   +         Stasis   .     C - +1 pair of boots of Focus {rF+}
Gourm  .                        Q - amulet of resist mutation
MR     ++...                    R - ring "Jehergh" {+cTele rF+ Dex+2}
                                U - ring of wizardry

@: glowing, deflect missiles, very resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely
unstealthy
A: blink 1
a: Blink, Divine Shield, Cleansing Flame, Summon Divine Warrior, Renounce
Religion, Evoke Teleport Control
0: Orb of Zot
}: 15/15 runes: decaying, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian, icy, bone,
abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark, gossamer
Thank god that's over with. Not sure if I'll ever 15 rune again, what a hassle.
Glad I got it during the tourny, though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dee Ehm posted:

I tend to stash my enchant foo scrolls and extra food and cure mutation potions and books. Things I need, but don't have to carry with me all the time.

For a skald, I've played a number of them. I'm not very good. But here's what I've picked up.

Step One - memorize spectral weapon. Then regeneration. Then shroud of golubria.
Step Two - buff killdudes until you have enough. Then buff not get killed by dudes
Step Three - find haste somewhere
Step Four - Congratulations!

Results may vary.
My gameplan as HoSk has been "use infusion on dudes until you hit level 2, training both axes and spellcasting(because HoSk starts with like 1.5 spellcasting and if you hit 2, then stop training it, you can learn spectral weapon right as you hit level 3), then learn shroud right at level 2, then learn spectral weapon right at level 3, get it castable ASAP, go nuts with weapon skill."

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
^I'll be honest, I use ash pretty often but I've never taken advantage of the skill swap. Maybe it's worth it to dump exp into some skill early/midgame, then when you get access to some spellschool you wanted put it in there? I don't know.

Read posted:

[url=http://cowmuffins.net/badforum.txt]

(There are 216 entries)
Things like this are always a nice confidence boost.

WereVolvo posted:

Gotta admit, I miss the brief period of time when potions of restore ability worked on draining as well.
Me too. :(
It made so much sense as well, I don't quite get why it didn't stay.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I did it again. :pwn:
code:
ungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.15.0-14-g6bbbb5c (webtiles) character file.

9469361 Shard1697 the Middleweight Champion (level 27, 234/256 HPs)
             Began as a Demonspawn Fighter on Sept 4, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Ashenzari.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Sept 5, 2014!

The game lasted 11:42:48 (179285 turns).

Shard1697 the Middleweight Champion (DsFi)        Turns: 179285, Time: 11:42:48

HP 234/256       AC 32     Str 28      XL: 27
MP  40/49        EV 29     Int 24      God: Ashenzari [******]
Gold 10449       SH  9     Dex 18      Spells: 13 memorised, 11 levels left

rFire  . . .     SeeInvis +       - Unarmed
rCold  + . .     Clarity  +     T - +7 swamp dragon armour (curse)
rNeg   + + .     rCorr    .     z - +3 buckler {rN+} (curse)
rPois  +         rRot     +     l - +2 helmet "Bielur" {Str+2 Dex+1}
rElec  .         Spirit   .     b - +2 cloak (curse)
SustAb .         Warding  .     (gloves unavailable)
rMut   +         Stasis   .     G - -1 pair of boots "Bleusov" {Str+3 Int+4}
Gourm  .                        O - amulet of resist mutation
MR     ++...                    F - cursed ring "Pucysuj" {EV+5 Str+5 Dex+3}
                                h - cursed ring of protection from cold

@: very slightly contaminated, studying Dodging, very resistant to hostile
enchantments, very unstealthy
A: claws 3, rugged brown scales 3, foul stench 2, negative energy resistance 1,
powered by pain 3, 50% torment resistance, black mark, rot immunity
a: Scrying, Transfer Knowledge, Renounce Religion
}: 15/15 runes: decaying, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian, icy, bone,
abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark, gossamer

You escaped.
You worshipped Ashenzari.
Ashenzari was exalted by your worship.
You were very full.

You visited 18 branches of the dungeon, and saw 97 of its levels.
You visited Pandemonium 6 times, and saw 17 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 13 times.
You also visited: Labyrinth, Ossuary, Volcano and Wizlab.

You collected 13597 gold pieces.
You spent 3148 gold pieces at shops.
I feel like I've fallen into some sort of trance state where all of a sudden, I understand how to play DCSS and can get wins without splatting hundreds of times.
Got Dissolution and at this point our clan only is missing two unique kills: Ignacio and Tiamat.

Also apparently I have highscores because normal people don't just play DsFi/HoSk all the time?? weird

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've usually been doing Depths->Slime->Abyss->Vaults lately.

Stoat posted:

So this

This is temptation
To be honest, ever since corrosion became temporary I've usually just killed all oklob plants. Once I clear the floor so there's no other creatures around, it's not like there's gonna be anything coming up to take advantage of my low AC while I rest away corrosion so there's no reason not to take the time to kill them one by one.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sage Grimm posted:

Phials are amazing, same with fans. I just can't justify lamps taking up a slot in the extended end game because it's main gimmick (DAMAGE) is mitigated by the fire resistance most things have by that point. The only thing worse than a lamp here is a stone of tremors.
lamps actually own in postgame.

source: all the dozens of times you can just vomit flameclouds all over crowded demons in pan or hell, crammed into little corridors, and kill or badly hurt all of them

There are plenty of demons that are not resistant to fire(or vulnerable) outside of like, cerebov's place and gehenna. You can kill multiple ice fiends(arguably the worst fiends?) at once with one lamp shot with good evo, the clouds kill them really fast and they won't try to get out once they're in them.
If anything I'd say phials suffer a lot more because what makes them amazing before postgame is a). most enemies suck fighting in water, and b). engulf means normal monsters can't cast any spells. But in extended there's way more dangerous enemies with flight and more importantly demons can't be silenced, so the best thing about phials is lost.

earth elementals should still tear large rocks off of themselves and throw them, pls buff tremors tia

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
some labyrinth loot:
Also contained a book of enchantments aka book that has haste. a good labyrinth.

e: end of lair, character looks like this:
code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.15.0-16-gce31824 (webtiles) character file.

Shard1697 the Fencer (Demonspawn Fighter)          Turns: 35685, Time: 01:36:16

HP 101/101       AC 25     Str 16      XL: 15   Next: 25%
MP  28/28        EV  9     Int 21      God: Ashenzari [*****.]
Gold 849         SH 18     Dex 13      Spells:  1 memorised,  8 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis +     a - +0 bastard sword
rCold  + . .     Clarity  +     Z - +5 fire dragon armour (curse)
rNeg   . . .     rCorr    .     G - +2 shield of Resistance {rF+ rC+ MR+}
rPois  +         rRot     +     f - +0 helmet {Int+3} (curse)
rElec  +         Spirit   .     R - +1 cloak
SustAb .         Warding  .     e - +0 pair of gloves (curse)
rMut   .         Stasis   .     (boots unavailable)
Gourm  .                        Y - cursed amulet "Threpaif" {Clar rElec Slay+5}
MR     ++...                    u - cursed ring "Rokligat" {Contam MP+9 Slay+6}
                                r - ring of poison resistance

@: very resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: talons 3, large bone plates 2, clever 1, cold resistance 1, rot immunity
a: Scrying, Transfer Knowledge, Renounce Religion
I don't know if I've ever been this lucky with Slaying gear before.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 5, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

pathetic little tramp posted:

So, you have to win the game by basically diving down to depths for all your XP needs, then getting the abyssal rune as your first, then hoping you have enough wherewithal to survive two rune branches of Pan. I could see maybe using an AK for this as it would make that first rune simpler plus you could use corrupt to maybe ninja the runes in Pan, but I feel you'd have to Abyss scum a little bit to get yourself Pan-survivable and that would mean major Lugonu piety loss. Also you'd probably have to determine you're going to take on Gloorx Vloq's floor + the demonic rune and leave Cerebov/Mnoleg/Lom Lobon to rot.
This is me talking as someone who apparently has an unusually good time in slime, but I think slime's quite a bit easier than any pan rune, although you can't ninja it

anyways I took this screenshot in the middle of a sleep-deprived session recently

and was surprised at the kraken shifter I hadn't noticed while spamming evocables and tornado everywhere in some sort of fugue state, which apparently created a nice octopus habitat

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
did you learn shroud of golubria?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Floodkiller posted:

code:
crawl.git      7 Hours Ago
Fix Dith not actually increasing player stealth

This was broken by 560c0028.

Yred worshippers in umbras and players wearing the ring of shadows were
 also less stealthy due to this bug.
Sometimes, I wonder how things like this get by for so long without anyone noticing (the commit that broke it was April 29th).
Not as good as that one time that shields didn't actually penalize melee for like, months I think?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Angry Diplomat posted:

It must be, as I have literally never seen Dissolution in the entirety of my Crawl career.

Ever. Not once.
I hadn't either until this tournament. He didn't seem very hard! Just like a really big brown slime with summon eyeballs.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Also Toxic Radiance is pretty good!

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think part of the idea of baileys is for the loot from enemies to be part of their appeal. Getting an early polearm bailey on a polearm user is a pretty big :hawaaaafap: moment, and throwing-heavy baileys can give you a ton of returning tomahawks and poo poo like that. Orc Knights and so forth can drop some pretty rad midgame heavy armour, too.
The absolute best is running into the bailey that's full of tons of gnolls with electric halberds as a beoghite, and making an elite orc squad outfitted entirely with electric polearms(that will eventually upgrade into glaives)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Brannock posted:

Try out Merfolk, Demonspawn, or Draconian.
Especially demonspawn. Demonspawn is the most fun species(firstly for the muts, secondly since the obvious typical 'postgame' gods of TSO/Zin aren't options so you have to figure something else out as a melee dude)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LogicNinja posted:

How do I Ds? I can't freakin' get one off the ground. The slow levelling plus -1 apts just leave me wallowing in mediocrity.
Train weapon skill until you hit mindelay? :geno: I'll be honest, playing literally hundreds of them has probably made me more used to -1 apts than I should be, but I play melee usually and nothing but weapon skill to mindelay and then training armour/fighting/dodging has always worked fine for me.

Or you can do the "worship makhleb, train nothing but invo(+3) and spam destruction at things(minor destruction only costs hunger!) until you hit 20 invo, then choose a weapon" thing

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 8, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LogicNinja posted:

But what if I get claws? :smith:

I think the problem is just that I'm Bad and need Mi apts or Vs bite or Gr AC to make melee dudes work.
Then you just train unarmed forever! :buddy: Roughly forever, anyways. Just also some armour/dodging/fighting once in a while to hold together your fragile little demon body while you shred things.

I'm bad too but demonspawn are honestly quite good in my opinion, you often get free resists from muts and sometimes a single strong mut will carry you if you get it early(powered by death, demonic guardian, etc.). Also they're fun.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
furthermore I'll second that holy damage isn't actually that much and yeah, -1 apts aren't really even bad. They're just okay, and a lot of ds muts are strong as gently caress to more than make up for it. ex: it's easy to be ahead of the power curve when everything you cut bursts into flame, dies and then heals you

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also Augmentation is a 'loving nutso'-tier mutation, everyone should play ds until they get it and just wreck everything

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Their apts are -1 across the board. That's terrible.
It's actually totally ok

Their unfocused nature also means that you aren't given a direction to go with them, which is just another layer of difficulty to deal with.
You have to... make choices, and adapt, yeah. Like you do when you play DCSS in general. That's good and fun(and why they are by far one of the most popular species in the game).

LogicNinja posted:

But when one does, "oh, your fault for meleeing something with a glowing weapon".

Obviously, but the more throwing/ranged/evo you pump the worse your melee is, and that's on a Ds who have crappy apts.
Around when I've hit lair/partway through lair as ds I've almost always hit mindelay with my weapon, and often end up training defensive skills because why not. That's kind of overkill! You can get like 5 evo or more before that totally fine to get more damage out of wands, and even if you don't offensive wands are usually fairly common so it's not a huge deal.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 8, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ciaphas posted:

How much should switching weapon types be a realistic option as a fighty type, anyway? Like how good would an artifact of the wrong weapon type have to be to lure me away?

How do you decide the split between armour and dodging training, if any at all?

I just switch weapons to deal with hydras, and to use blowgun mostly early on. I play either axes Ho or axes Ds usually, so I get decent M&F crosstraining to kill hydras with(although I usually zap em with wands or something to soften them up beforehand).

I train armour more and first because I like AC way more, but I usually get both to 10 sometime after I've gotten good weapon skill(and ideally alright invo/evo depending on what I'm doing)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks for the input. One more question, is there any way to tell what my current attack delay is, or how close I am to mindelay with my current weapon?
Press control+a direction to swing at nothing, then look at this.

e:f,b

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I think this is a very elegant and simple solution. But, personally, I feel that Crawl overuses the "strong early, weak late" method of balancing abilities. It makes sense in light of the game's difficulty curve, but it's just not much fun for most people. A similar solution would be to make spiny a scales facet instead of a tier 2 mutation. That way it should both come in earlier and not screw you out of a more interesting tier 2 that actually has an impact on game play.
I'd be alright with this if it also gave like +1,+2,+3 ac per tier. Not much but still feels good to get AC, especially in that slot.
For what it's worth since spiny was buffed(I don't remember exactly how, does it not get lowered by encumbrance at all anymore?) I definitely notice it quite a bit more, I used to hate it but now I can deal. perfection

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
oh actually nevermind what I just said

bisonbison posted:

You could make spiny apply low damange + a slow movement debuff to some % of attackers, making them like manticore, and easier to kite.
if spiny had a chance to give attackers Barb status it would instantly become, like
the loving coolest

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I think people saying that demonspawn are tough do have a point.
They do! Most of the argument that occurred earlier happened because someone said that they're horrible, and also unfun. The first is wrong(they're tougher than the 'strong' species like minotaur, but not that tough-middle of the road, more or less), the second may be their own opinion but there's a reason Ds is one of the most popular species.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

kaschei posted:

Ds are the second strongest class for spamming Makhleb or Qazlal invocations. Only DD match them for invocations. I think anyone having trouble between temple and lair:8 could do a lot worse than go heavy into invocations as a Ds of Makhleb - I think this is stronger than most melee builds (not Gr or DD).
Hill orcs also have +3 invo though

I also recommend ds makhleb-invo spamming it's fun as hell and pretty strong, I think the first I time I did it was actually on your suggestion
secret tech to deal with Greater Servants that arrive hostile: just summon another one :getin:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

you sure that's how you wanna do this buddy

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I passed you again Floodkiller :slick:

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Shard1697/morgue-Shard1697-20140910-201308.txt
code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.15.0-27-gbdb0435 (webtiles) character file.

2273602 Shard1697 the Cryomancer (level 27, 221/221 HPs)
             Began as a Purple Draconian Conjurer on Sept 9, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 5 runes on Sept 10, 2014!

The game lasted 08:56:44 (122051 turns).

Shard1697 the Cryomancer (DrCj)                   Turns: 122051, Time: 08:56:44

HP 221/221       AC 24     Str 15      XL: 27
MP  24/45        EV 19     Int 30      God: Vehumet [******]
Gold 2495        SH 18     Dex 13      Spells: 11 memorised,  7 levels left

rFire  + + .     SeeInvis +     a - +2 quick blade "Jael" {pain, rPois rF+ MR+ Dex+1}
rCold  + + +     Clarity  .     (armour unavailable)
rNeg   + . .     rCorr    .     J - +5 shield {reflect}
rPois  +         rRot     .     U - +2 hat of the Alchemist {rElec rF+ rC+ MR+}
rElec  +         Spirit   .     Y - +2 cloak "Prupnat" {rElec Int+3 SInv}
SustAb .         Warding  .     o - +2 pair of gloves
rMut   +         Stasis   .     W - +2 pair of boots {run}
Gourm  .                        k - amulet of resist mutation
MR     +++++                    A - ring of poison resistance
                                x - ring of Yqargheh {rC++ rN+ MR+ Int+3}

@: very slightly contaminated, hasted, studying Translocations, deflect
missiles, very quick, almost entirely resistant to hostile enchantments, very
unstealthy
A: breathe power, unfitting armour, antennae 1, big wings, stinger 1, sense
surroundings 1, cold-blooded, AC +13
a: Breathe Dispelling Energy, Fly, Renounce Religion
}: 5/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, slimy, silver, abyssal
I was gonna 15-rune, but after I got 5 I just couldn't be assed. Honestly I just get really sick of playing blasty-type spellcasters.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Wolfechu posted:

You know, for being a 'fairly bad players' team, we've kind of broken our mission statement at this point ;)
It's not my fault! Before this tournament I had half the wins I do now and no 15-runers at all, something terrible and mysterious has happened.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I actually like it fine too outside of tomb, where it's on so many enemies(which kind of makes silence a little too strong there imo? maybe that's just me), and also comes from death curses which as it stands are a really lovely mechanic

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Torment by itself is not a bad thing, but the threat of torment is so ubiquitous in the post-end game that if enemies would ever act 'optimally', you'd be dead at any point in Tomb 3 every turn.
Unless you learn silence, a level-5 spell which is not hard to get online by that point and renders mummies completely helpless

Imagine how much more terrifying tormentors would be if they actually tormented every turn unless you walked out of line of sight. It'd be really difficult to manage, so much so that you'd probably *have* to walk into there with some way to almost completely mitigate it as an issue or risk 3x torment + smite at any turn.
That sounds incredibly loving annoying

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the game being unpredictable(including monster's actions) is kind of a fundamental part of what makes it tactical

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
whoever said a while back that pan should be like a boss-rush type deal, going from one tough short floor focused around the pan lord to the next, I am in full agreement with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if you're not gonna read trunk changelogs I dunno why you'd get mad about things being changed without you knowing tbqh
trunk is kind of the 'trying poo poo out' version anyhow

• Locked thread