Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j78X5LluM5U

Goon Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonlethalleague

Lethal League is a competitive multiplayer game where you hit a baseball back and forth. You might have seen it as a flash game that was making the rounds last year. The developers have taken the concept from the prototype fleshed them out into a fully fledged game with new mechanics, multiple characters, and multiple modes including four player free-for-alls. It also has a fun artsyle and a fantastic soundtrack, both of which are reminiscent of Jet Set Radio. There's also a single player challenge mode akin to Super Smash Bros' classic mode, complete with unique final boss. Unlike most indie multiplayer focused games, Lethal League has online multiplayer powered by GGPO, meaning unlike most indie games you don't need real life friends to enjoy it (:smith:), and because it uses GGPO the netcode is actually competent. Sorry Nidhogg.

Gameplay

Okay, so obviously just saying you hit a ball back and forth is oversimplifying things, so let's delve a bit deeper into the gameplay. Every time you hit the ball its speed goes up, giving you less time to react. Each hit also increases the hitlag when hitting the ball, indicated by the colored bars filling up near the bottom of the screen, so the timing for returning the ball isn't the same every single hit. Most shots speed the ball up by a set amount, but power shots (done by hiting downwards while in the air) double the speed of the ball, making speed growth exponential. The ball bounces around the stage after being hit, and if you get hit by the ball you get knocked out. Each hit of the ball also "tags" it with that player's color, making them safe from the ball. The player who last tagged the ball can continue to hit the ball though, so if you just focus on avoiding getting hit the other player will likely continue to up the ball's speed while you panic.

Characters

Lethal League has five characters, and each of them have a few differentiating factors. First off each character hits the ball at different angles for their upward and power swings. Like Divekick, a lot of Lethal League is just about learning the different angles to each character. Each character also has a unique movement ability and a special move. Special moves are activated by tapping the swing button a second time when connecting with the ball, except for Latch whose special can only be activated in the air and is activated by double-tapping the jump button.

Raptor
Raptor's special move is to instant hit the ball in any chosen direction, which can be activated during the hitlag of a swing to throw off opponents. His special movement ability is a wall jump, giving him a second jump only when against either wall.

Switch
Switch's special is a kickflip, which gives the ball a radically different path than his other swings and is extremely hard to track. His special movement ability is to ride across walls and ceilings with his skateboard by jumping towards them.

Candyman
Candyman's special allows him to make the ball wrap around the screen Pac-Man style, which can trip up players expecting the ball to bounce off the wall instead. His special movement ability is to slow his fall after a jump by holding the button down.

Sonata
Sonata's special lets her control the path of the ball off of its next few bounces, and also speeds up or slows down the ball to a specific speed during those bounces. Her special movement ability is a double jump.

Latch
Latch's special allows him to swallow the ball and then spit it back out. The ball can be spat out at any of the angles of his swings. His special movement ability is to cling to and climb up and down walls.

Lethal League is $13.99 on Steam, or you can split a two pack with somebody for $21.99 or a four pack for $39.99. Despite the simple premise the game has a lot of depth and is a hell of a lot of fun, and a high recommendation if you've enjoyed games like Divekick, Nidhogg, and Samurai Gunn. Also the soundtrack is just a straight up folder labeled music with some WAV files in it. Just saying.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I've never made a topic for a game before, so hopefully I did an okay job. Did I write too much about the gameplay? I feel like I might have over-explained the concept. Also let's get some matches going, I haven't been able to find a four player match using just matchmaking.

Edit: Went ahead and condensed the gameplay section a bit.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 29, 2014

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

fadam posted:

This sounds awesome but I'm hesitant to buy it because I don't have anyone to play with locally (none of my friends give a poo poo) and I hear the match making is deserted :(

I've been able to find plenty of matches in matchmaking for 1v1, but free for all seems pretty dead based on the handful of times I tried searching for matches there. On top of requiring more players free for all also restricts you to players within your region unless you're doing a private match, which makes finding players tough.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Correction!

Raptor's special can re-aim the ball in any direction, including behind your original swing! Very tricky, and very good for cheaping out the shadow match in Raptor's challenge mode.

That's something else you should mention, to maybe interest people who think the multiplayer is dead. There's a single-player challenge mode that plays a lot like Smash Bros. Classic mode (that is, round 1 of you vs. Raptor, round 2 of you vs. Switch, Round three of you and Switch vs. Raptor and Sonata, etc.) hidden away under "Extra" in the menu. There's even a unique boss at the end! (It kicked my butt.) The difficulty is pretty much like facing the CPU opponent in the flash prototype, so really hard with bouts of dumb luck carrying you through.

I don't know if you knew, since you said you cut down the gameplay section a bit, but something I think new players might like to know is that a neutral swing (even in mid-air) can be charged to give more speed to the ball on hit, without adding 1 for a normal swing or doubling for the smash hit. Just let go of the arrows and hold down the button.

Thanks for the correction regarding Raptor's special, updated the OP with that and also worked in a mention of single player. I actually find the final boss to be kind of a pushover, I have more trouble with the score and 1v2 matches.

When I was writing the OP I originally had a section just about the different types of swings, but removed it before I even posted the original version of the thread. I though describing every single mechanic would make people stop reading the OP halfway through.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
A patch this morning tweaked a bunch of things and also improved matchmaking to speed it up dramatically. Was able to get into some four player free for all matches for the first time with the new matchmaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Super Dude posted:

I just made a group for us if we want to use it for organizing matches.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonlethalleague

I went ahead and added this to the OP. Had meant to make one myself while writing the OP but forgot.

• Locked thread