Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

This game is amazing fun. The trailer doesn't do it justice.

Sunk five hours into it and didn't really have trouble finding players, though I did end up rematching the same guy over and over for about an hour. Hopefully I can rope some friends in for some local co-op.

Also I don't know what this GGPO thing is but wow it works. I really cannot tell the difference between playing online and the offline challenge mode.

Worth the price tag I'd say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

BabelFish posted:

Parrying:
While you're in hit-stun (the build up after hitting a ball going at high speed,) you can hit the bunt button, this will drain your super-meter (minimum of 1 box) to put up a shield around the ball, about 2 ball widths in radius for a few frames. If your opponent attempts to hit the ball they will 'clash' with the shield and be pushed back, pretty much guaranteeing a knockout at high speed.

This is primarily used as a counter to people attempting to camp your hit-stun and get their hit in right as you release.
I usually feel bad doing this against players who obviously just don't understand what is happening and then leave in frustration. I did have one stick around long enough to figure it out and start using it themselves. That was cool.

The lack of any kind of explicit communication channel between yourself and other players is quite funny. Many people seem to have settled on a simple system of different wiggles by utilizing the crouch and direction buttons.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

curiousCat posted:

I still can't figure out how to properly manipulate most of the ultimates.
The specials are all really simple. In summary...

Raptor:
- Activated by swinging during hit lag
- Hold a direction to send the ball in that direction
- You can also walljump

Latch:
- Hold a direction when the ball is released to send it in that direction
- Bunt to spit the ball up in the air
- You can also climb up the walls

Candyman:
- Hold a direction to send the ball in that direction. It will travel through the first surface it hits

Sonata:
- When the ball is released, it will follow whatever directions you press until it hits a surface
- You can also double jump

Switch:
- Activated by holding jump while in the air
- Land on top of the ball
- You can also skate up the walls and across the ceiling

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

The funniest counter to latch is to play switch and use your special to just hover over him when he swallows the ball

• Locked thread