Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

The Table

The Fixtures

It's looking like a tasty round of footy lads and I hope you'll join me in watching a few of the games.

First up we have an exciting relegation scrap between newcomers Burnley and Manchester United in what we all hope to be another hilarious chapter in United's fall from grace. Sadly United were able to pick up the excellent Di Maria who won't fix their defence deficiencies but should give their midfield a much needed boost. Burnley have had a tough start to their Premier League return but haven't played that badly and could upset a few teams this season.
Ewar Woowar's Betting Tip: 1:2 United

City should make short work of Stoke at home while Newcastle should get their first three points against a Palace side now managed by terrible manager Neil Warnock. We have two potential relegation candidates up next with QPR against Sunderland in what ought to be the most disappointing game this weekend. QPR, like United, are trying to play 3-5-2 and having the same sort of success. Sunderland are a bad side that makes bad signings but should escape the drop again due to the terribleness of other teams. Jozy will not score. Swansea have made a good start to the season under inexperienced manager Garry Monk and should make it three wins from three when they play at home to West Brom.

West Ham play Southampton in a game that could really go either way. With West Ham missing Nolan Fat Sam my have to resort to playing actual football which, surprisingly, West Ham are capable of doing given some of the talent they have at their disposal. Southampton have lost a huge amount of talent this window but still boast a decent side. Whether they continue to push for Europa places will depend a lot on their newcomers but it's too early to say if they're any good or not.
Ewar Woowar's Betting Tip: 1:1

The last game of the evening sees us at Goodison as Everton play Chelsea. Everton away is always an incredibly difficult fixture and Chelsea won't be helped by the fact that they're missing their number one striker in Costa. Everton have had trouble closing games out though and Chelsea have so much quality in their squad that they'll punish any mistake at the back.
Ewar Woowar's Betting Tip: 1:1

Tomorrow we have Villa at home to Hull. Villa are awful on paper and should theoretically be in a relegation scrap this season but you never really know what you're going to get with Lambert.

We then have what is arguably the tie of the round with Tottenham hosting Liverpool at White Hart Lane. Liverpool thrashed Spurs twice last season and we all had a good laugh but Tottenham have looked sharp under Pochettino so far and this should be a much tighter game this time around. Liverpool will be missing both their starting fullbacks that played against City but this could arguably be a good thing as their possible replacements (Manquillo and Enrique) are both more defensively sound. Balotelli is likely to make his debut and I personally will hoping he does cool things on the pitch instead of bad things.
Ewar Woowar's Betting Tip: 2:2

Finally Leicester play Arsenal at home in what could be a potentially exciting match as Leicester have looked the best of the promoted teams and should back themselves to stay in the league given their competition. Given that Arsenal will be without a recognised striker it might be a good time to play them. In saying that Arsenal should have far to much quality for Leicester and pick up their second win of the season.
Ewar Woowar's Betting Tip: 0:3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

The Erland posted:

Good OP, but what's up with the fixture times?

I'm guessing Chelsea will drop their first points today, Everton away is pretty difficult. Sadly, I can't see United losing against Burnley, hilarious as it would be.

Hmm...I got that from the Guardian site but I realise now that it must know my location and give New Zealand time instead :downs:

GMT is -11 hours I believe

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Phwoar, look at those accurate and cool start times.

:respek:

euroboy posted:

what a hosed up time to watch football

It sucks OP but if you can believe it it actually gets worse when daylight saving kicks in. Thankfully Liverpool, being a cool and good team, means we tend to be on earlier on the weekend or a civilized time (7am-9am) on Monday and Tuesday morning.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

United are terrible haha

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Come on Burnley!

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

What the gently caress happened to Mata?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

How bad are Valenica and Sakho that Carlton loving Cole still starts?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Johnny Evans is the worst player on the pitch

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

quiet enjoyment posted:

despite playing like utter poo poo you can still see that pooshited will get a goal

Nothing will make me happier than a Burnley goal in injury time

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

mackintosh posted:

lmao, how was that not a peno

Because it hit him in the stomach and then his hand on the way down. He could do gently caress all about it. Never a penalty.

Would have been a couple of seasons back mind

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Well I predicted the wrong score but this is far better.

United are terrible and LvG is a big fat fraud

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Any tasty team news for tonight's game lads?

Rumour is Liverpool will be lining up like this
Mignolet, Manquillo, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno, Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, Markovic, Sturridge, Sterling
Which would make sense as Skrtel and Johnson both have knocks and Coutinho has failed to impress in the first couple of games. There is some scary pace in that side but not a lot of creativity. Will be nice to see what Markovic is like though. Hopefully Balotelli comes on too.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

The tasty game takes place during the day lad

Not in my part of the world :(

12:30am Monday morning. Makes it extra poo poo when we play like cunts.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Modus Trollens posted:

I assume you'll play three in midfield to try and make Eriksen drop deeper though having Lamela and Ade running off defenders isn't the best idea (well neither is having Sterling or Sturridge do the same in honesty - I'm ready for a very attacking game)

The idea usually is that Gerrard sits really deep with Allen and Henderson ahead of him. The main issue is that Gerrard doesn't have the legs anymore to be able to deal with players that run at him. He's also not entirely disciplined when it comes to positioning and as a result leaves a big gap between the midfield and defence, which is why we struggle with a side capable of countering fast like City did last game. I still think Stevie has plenty to offer but it's games like this I wish we had an out and out physical defensive midfielder (Lucas is no longer up to it sadly) to nullify quality attacking midfielders like Eriksen and Lamela (who looks a lot sharper).

What's your defence like these days? Still play a high line?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Wasn't there a fair bit of talk about getting rid of Chiriches? Which would be odd because he looked pretty handy when I saw him play.

Bentaleb and Coupue in the middle with Eriksen in front of them? Lamela and Chadli on the wings with Adebayor up front?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

That was a tasty round of fixtures and a good weekend for Liverpool.

- Thought Moreno was excellent and was so happy he got that goal. Much better defensive display too.
- Despite missing some good chances I thought Mario was pretty good. Was involved a lot and looked promising.
- Henderson is the first name on the team sheet for me. The amount of tackles and interceptions he makes is unbelievable. The first goal shows everything that makes him great. I'll be very surprised if he's not the next captain.
- Lovren and Sakho don't make me entirely confident but they are brilliant tacklers and made up for every bad pass they made. Would like to see their partnership continue even though that would be a little rough on Skrtel.
- Gerrard had such a terrible first half I thought he'd come off. So many wayward passes and he looked so loving slow. Big improvement in the second half though and was defensively very good all game. He had a slow start to the season last year and a lot of supporters were saying he should be dropped before going on to have a great season so I won't write him off just yet.
- Mignolet isn't the long term answer in goal for me. Great shot stopper but his distribution is sub-par and he makes bad decisions on when to come off his line.
- Manquillo is great at right back. Defensively very solid and comfortable in possession. Johnson isn't going to have an easy time getting his place back.
- I can't think of a better under twenty player in the world than Sterling. He's that good. Should have scored another goal though and needs to use his left foot more.
- Can looked good when he came on. He's a loving unit for a twenty year old. Markovic on the other hand was extremely subdued. Didn't seem to have any interest in running with the ball and didn't get involved at all.

• Locked thread