Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Considering I was working for a contractor and didn't get any back pay at all, pardon my lack of sympathy about having to wait a bit longer for a check. You're talking about people with incredibly stable, decently paying jobs. No one is getting rich working for the government, but if a federal employee is going to be wiped out by having to wait a few extra weeks for a paycheck, they should seriously reconsider their life decisions. And that was exactly my experience with all of the federal folks I talked to during and after the shutdown - they fell into one of two camps, (a) excited about the bonus vacation they assumed they would be paid for and disappointed to be back at work when it was over or (b) upset that they were barred from doing work they considered meaningful and important.

"If you don't have tons of money saved up you're an idiot" is a pretty ignorant thing to say fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

A lot of the responses to my post seem to ignore that we are talking about federal employees, not folks generally. They will not have extreme out of pocket healthcare costs because they have generally excellent health insurance, as well as life and ST disability insurance. The pay, while somewhat lower than most private industry comparable positions, is still consistent with meeting the needs of a middle class lifestyle even with a family. There are adjustments to the pay depending on cost of living in the area. They cannot be summarily fired without due process. Their salary increases over time based on tenure and performance. There are generous vacation and sick pay allowances. Overtime is appropriately measured and paid out.

These are all of the things that most everyone in this thread, myself included, are interested in expanding to all workers. It is one thing to say that "personal responsibility" is a ridiculous expectation for a McDonald's assistant manager who works for 50 hours and gets paid for 40, might have to skip a day's pay to go to the doctor's office or care for a child, might have to pay out of pocket for healthcare, and can just plain lose their job at any given moment for no reason. But when all of those absurd risks of the semi-feudal private American employment system are out of the way, I don't think it's unreasonable to consider the decisions being made by an individual that finds themselves in a tough spot. That is not to say that they deserve to be abandoned without assistance, but it is much harder to lay the blame on the system generally in such cases.

You're still going on about this? Sorry you hate federal workers but your argument is dumb. There are a zillion reasons a federal worker doesn't have some big emergency fund stashed and you're a fool for even making this about them instead of the idiots shutting down the government in the first place.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

So voter ID is literally deciding an election there HMM

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

MaxxBot posted:

Yes if the bully continues to create a hostile learning environment for other students after punishing them multiple times then eventually you'd have no other choice. Do you think students should be allowed to create a hostile learning environment for other students indefinitely with nothing to stop them?

Look at the Anoka-Hennepin school district situation a couple years back and see where that leads. Not everyone can just sit there and take the bullying forever, people commit suicide or at the very least will suffer academically and emotionally. You're basically saying that the bully's learning environment is more important than that of their victims.

googled the Anoka-Hennepin thing and some article noted complaints about the change in school policy and settlements in court

quote:

Laurie Thompson, spokeswoman for the Parents Action League, called the settlement a "travesty."

The lawsuit, she said in an e-mail, was not about bullying but was meant to "abolish conservative moral beliefs about homosexuality. Making schools safe for 'gay' kids means indoctrinating impressionable, young minds with homosexual propaganda."

Apparently one of the school board members resigned over them caving into the gay agenda or whatever as well. Somehow indoctrination involves an open environment free from hostility, but doesnt include making all your young students hate gays because jesus says so??

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Welp, it's ok that I beat this adolescent child as a grown rear end adult because ~it was my last resort~

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Sometimes I get so fed up with a person I want to hit them, but only if it's a child and not an adult do a large percentage of americans think that is an acceptable course of action.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

quote:

He[Bush] also told the First Lady, "If I'm in the WH and there's a plane coming my way, all I can say is I hope I read my Bible that day."

Seems like a weird thing to say as someone commanding the nation's military forces.

quote:

We landed at Andrews Air Force Base & as Marine One flew back 2the White House, Bush looked out his window and saw the smoldering pentagon.

"The mightiest building in the world is on fire," Bush said. "That's the 21st century war you just witnessed."

Uh...21st century war would be the entire city is a pile of rubble from missiles.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Tiler Kiwi posted:

That or he was talking about terrorist attacks, following a terrorist attack

It's obvious he was talking about the magnitude of a building as powerful as the pentagon being in flames, not "terrorists are hitting things guys". Terrorist bombings have occurred throughout the 20th century.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Nintendo Kid posted:

Sorry, that was the 20th century dude. Learn your history.

Ah yes, the rampant use of nuclear arms in the 20th century in which two total strikes literally ended a war, not started it. Thanks for the useless sperg injection.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

SedanChair posted:

And where real cities on multiple continents were actually erased from bombing campaigns, unlike in the 21st so far.

If you're gonna quibble that those were bombs instead of missiles, guess who the sperg crown descends upon?

Then his proclamation of 21st century war and the sheer gravity of the situation hes facing makes even less sense, since it pales in comparison to "conventional" warfare. A single non-nuclear airstrike from the 1940's can provide the same devastation to the pentagon he sees from the DC sky. He was literally 1 year from the onset of the 21st century, and less than 2 years away from the same 20th century air strike campaigns you guys discuss post WW2. It's a bad parallel on his part to the Einstein "WW3/WW4 sticks and stones" story. If someone said "well boys this is 21st century policing" to show how police have gotten out of hand when it comes to student demonstrations after the occupy pepper spraying of students in california, it wouldn't make a lick of sense considering the Kent State massacre.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Berke Negri posted:

Kent State weren't police.

National Guard and police were taking the same role in those two situations, you get the point.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Is there nothing worthwhile to say about that man or is it just an elderly person's idea of profound advertising.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Joementum posted:

In the post-Citizens United scene it's becoming common for campaigns to release b-roll of their candidates so that outside groups can use the footage in advertising without coordinating with the campaign.

This led to the Daily Show's #McConnelling earlier in the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVpQIAegIks

Ah, the way the founders intended.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

The younger DC Democrat crowd I know already scrubbed their poo poo years ago, despite being on the opening wave of facebook in 2003. Sure there will be plenty of train wrecks in the future but most the up and comers on the left are reasonably tech savvy, careful with their online posting, and also just not poo poo lords with disgusting opinions to tweet out slurs.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

It's taxation that causes people to be poor, not the systemic inequalities perpetuated by inordinately wealthy people complaining about being taxed!

alternatively: "how many of these 'poor' people are truly needy? that is the real question here!" -a wealthy white man's privileged son

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 23, 2014

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

ReidRansom posted:

I'll give him points for consistency.

But he still has a really low number of points.

Does he truly need these points? I think this would be theft of points from more deserving folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Yes it is, but perhaps anywhere remotely close to Germany is a poor choice of discussing the topic.