Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

It's taxation that causes people to be poor, not the systemic inequalities perpetuated by inordinately wealthy people complaining about being taxed!

alternatively: "how many of these 'poor' people are truly needy? that is the real question here!" -a wealthy white man's privileged son

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 23, 2014

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Sometimes I think the appropriate response really is to just make an uncomfortably long farting noise.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'll give him points for consistency.

But he still has a really low number of points.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReidRansom posted:

I won't give him anything. :colbert:

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

ReidRansom posted:

But he still has a really low number of points.

Does he truly need these points? I think this would be theft of points from more deserving folks.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Good points. But without an exact accounting of how many points I gave him how can I send an invoice for an equivalent amount of silver coinage or gold bullion? :argh: You win this time, Paul.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Joementum posted:

The Obama administration has just announced that the US will comply* with the Ottawa Convention, a.k.a. the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention.

some exclusions named Korea may apply

It's a great example, I just think it's hilarious that the diplomatic language of the announcement basically has them saying "We won't use landmines, except in Korea" in three different ways.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I know Obama is far from perfect but if you think Mitt Romney or John McCain would have ever considered discontinuing the use of APL mines then you need your head examined. It sounds like a little thing next to corporate bailouts and 4th Amendment stuff but dammit it's better than it could have been.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Not as lovely as McCain or Romney is a pretty loving low bar.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

oxbrain posted:

We just got done with this argument, can we please talk about something else?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

We just got done with this argument, can we please talk about something else?

And I just looked up a good example to help us remember what its like having a Republican President:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/22/AR2007062201809.html

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

oxbrain posted:

And yet it's the bar we have, so the next time a child isn't blown apart by an old US mine in Afghanistan or Iraq, you can feel better about it!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Transfer all your care to Congress. Stop worrying about the White House. Dems have that locked up in 2016, regardless of whomever you back.

Congress not so much, and Republicans are doing the most damage there, so please focus on that and not Obama's suit color or his taste for liking people who anger everybody.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well I guess this explains why Jesus was crucified alongside the other thieves.

Thanks, Baylor, world's largest Baptist University.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
The part that sticks out to me is that Paul lumps "can't" and "won't" produce into the same worthless category. He's explicitly stating that the bedridden handicapped person is just as undeserving of their stolen luxury as the non-existent welfare queen. Truly a man of Christ right there.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

joeburz posted:

It's taxation that causes people to be poor, not the systemic inequalities perpetuated by inordinately wealthy people complaining about being taxed!

You joke, but I remember an an-cap not named jrodefeld arguing this exact same thing in the most recent jrod thread.

Also of course Randy went to Baylor.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nice demonstration that the "I don't believe your statistics because they don't fit my world view so I will substitute some that I think feel right" Republican/libertarian argument style isn't a new occurrence.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I just can't get past this line:

quote:

How many open-minded people actually believe 11 million americans actually need sustinence.

I know what he means, but it sounds like he's actually incredulous that poor people need to eat. You know, in retrospect maybe that is actually what he means, sure would explain a lot.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Not only that but he's arguing AGAINST welfare for the poor, and arguing FOR the rich keeping all their money, all based on what Christianity taught him, for gently caress's sake. It's just so incredibly backwards and heartless. Christ teaches you the literal opposite of that.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Nonsense posted:

Transfer all your care to Congress. Stop worrying about the White House. Dems have that locked up in 2016, regardless of whomever you back.

Congress not so much, and Republicans are doing the most damage there, so please focus on that and not Obama's suit color or his taste for liking people who anger everybody.

It may appear right now that there is no way for a Republican to win the Presidency in 2016, but never ever assume that will hold.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pohl posted:

It may appear right now that there is no way for a Republican to win the Presidency in 2016, but never ever assume that will hold.

Chris Christie is far more charismatic than Hillary and there's still plenty of time for his scandals to become old news.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

stinkles1112 posted:

Not only that but he's arguing AGAINST welfare for the poor, and arguing FOR the rich keeping all their money, all based on what Christianity taught him, for gently caress's sake. It's just so incredibly backwards and heartless. Christ teaches you the literal opposite of that.

Taxes = theft man! gently caress your 'render unto Caesar' quote.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
A bunch of students here in Colorado are walking out of school today because Republicans are hypocritical idiot assholes (but I repeat myself):

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/student-walk-outs-possible-at-pomona-arvada-west-and-ralston-valley-high-schools-tuesday

quote:

Students at Arvada, Arvada West and Ralston Valley high schools have been planning online for walkouts.

A 7NEWS viewer said students walked out of Golden High School a little after 9 a.m.

The dispute is over an effort to review how classes like Advanced Placement U.S. History are taught.

The school district proposed creating a panel that would make sure materials do not "encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law."

That has many students, parents and educators concerned about censorship.

"What we really want is a promise from them that they won't restrict the content that is taught in our classes," said student Eric Temple. "Because we believe that if they restrict that content then we're not going to get the education that we think we should."

A Facebook page called Arvada West Walk Out said: "The plan is to walk out during the passing period between advisement and 3rd period on Tuesday, September 23rd. The point is to make a statement about being against these changes, so instead of simply leaving the school we will line up along 64th with posters, signs, anything that shows that we are standing up for ourselves and our teachers."

A similar Facebook page was created by Pomona High School students encouraging the same thing.

At least a hundred students from Evergreen High School protested Monday at the Jefferson County School District headquarters on Denver West Boulevard. A handful had the chance to meet with Superintendent Daniel McMinimee.

Students said they found some agreement from the superintendent, who told them he also opposes a curriculum review board.

However, that idea was tabled by the school board without a vote.

http://www.9news.com/story/news/education/2014/09/18/jeffco-curriculum-committee-us-history/15853797/

quote:

[JeffCo Board of Education Member] Julie Williams says this is necessary after all the changes to academic standards under the Common Core movement.

"When there is enough discussion around the country, it warrants looking into," Williams said.

The second part of the proposal reads in part, "Materials should promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free enterprise system, respect for authority and respect for individual rights. Materials should not encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law."

"I don't think we should encourage kids to be little rebels," Williams said. "We should encourage kids to be good citizens."

[...]

Williams says the committee would only focus on curriculum and materials and have no bearing on teacher's evaluation.

"I don't think there's any harm," Williams said. "Only good can come out of that."

Williams says she just wants to make sure students get an objective view.

"I want to bring history back to be taught accurately without opinion," Williams said.

This ties back to this, of course:

http://www.newsweek.com/textbook-case-bad-textbooking-texas-272351

quote:

The latest “experts don’t know as much as me” nonsense has emerged in one of the worst places possible: high school textbooks. Over the past few months, a new set of books has emerged from the nation’s publishers, the first since the State Board of Education in Texas, driven by political conservatives and Christian evangelicals, adopted standards in 2010 for what should be included in them. And the decisions by Texans don’t just inflict this foolishness on Texas kids; because the state is such a huge purchaser of school textbooks, publishers often opt to print whatever the Lone Star State wants for students all over the country.

Now the books based on those standards are out, and, unsurprisingly, history and knowledge have been tossed aside in favor of politics, propaganda and faith. The Texas Freedom Network Education Fund, a group organized to strengthen public schools and counter the influence of the Christian right in education, asked experts—people with doctorates who teach these topics at university levels—to review the textbooks, and their opinions were scathing.

Did you know Moses played a role in the writing of the U.S. Constitution? I didn’t. Apparently neither did the Founding Fathers, since he’s not mentioned in the Federalist Papers or any other relevant document. But students reading Perfection Learning’s new textbook on American history will think Moses was right up there with John Locke and Charles de Montesquieu in influencing Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and their brethren. What role did Moses supposedly play? The textbook claims he contributed the concept that “a nation needs a written code of behavior.”
Forget the biblical ignorance shown in suggesting Moses provided the code for a “nation” rather than for the Jewish people, who had no nation (failing to reach the Promised Land was kind of key to the Book of Deuteronomy). Forget the legal ignorance in suggesting the Constitution had anything to do with a “code of behavior” rather than establishing democratic government and the rights guaranteed to citizens. Forget the historical ignorance in suggesting that the first laws came from Moses when the sixth Amorite king of Babylon established one of the first written set of laws, known as Hammurabi's Code, hundreds of years earlier.

The bottom line is that the state of Texas should be excised from existence.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 23, 2014

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Truly, 'tis easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle, than for the poors to stop being so drat lazy

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

quote:

"I want to bring history back to be taught accurately without opinion," Williams said.

Historians everywhere suddenly groan loudly without knowing why

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Cheekio posted:

Sometimes I think the appropriate response really is to just make an uncomfortably long farting noise.

The appropriate response is the guillotine.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

a shameful boehner posted:

A bunch of students here in Colorado are walking out of school today because Republicans are hypocritical idiot assholes (but I repeat myself):

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/student-walk-outs-possible-at-pomona-arvada-west-and-ralston-valley-high-schools-tuesday

http://www.9news.com/story/news/education/2014/09/18/jeffco-curriculum-committee-us-history/15853797/

What kind of cognitive dissonance is necessary to think that that proposal is in any way objective. :psyduck:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Historians everywhere suddenly groan loudly without knowing why

I understand that no historical understanding can be truly neutral, but something like this seems to be striving for the opposite of a neutral perspective:

quote:

Materials should promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free enterprise system, respect for authority and respect for individual rights. Materials should not encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
'There are things that we Americans must be willing to fight for. We know this Republic was spawned by armed conflict. The freedoms and liberties we enjoy today were a consequence of armed conflict, insurrection, if you will. There are things worth fighting for, we much understand that.' - Secretary of State Alexander Haig (1981)

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
^^^
I whipped out statements about our FOUNDING FATHERS(!) and the Revolutionary War, multiple times, when talking about "respect for authority" during the whole Ferguson debate.

It's fun to watch their eyes instantly glaze over like pond water in the MN-6 district on a frigid winter's day.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Chris Christie is far more charismatic than Hillary and there's still plenty of time for his scandals to become old news.

I was actually just thinking last night how I haven't heard anything about Christie lately and how that probably benefits him quite a bit heading into summer of next year.

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 23, 2014

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

This thread is always so depressing. Illegal prisons with unlawfully detained and tortured prisoners because we can't figure out what to do with them so we'll hold them in perpetuity over here.

Man of Christ using the Bible to justify his gently caress-the-poor mentality over there.

At least there's a few good laughs every now and then.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

stinkles1112 posted:

Yes but it should be done through charity and if the rich don't give enough well then they're bad Christians the poor just need to be grateful for whatever they're given.

Texas should be nuked until there's nothing but a gaping hole connected to the earth's core. Can a conservative justice please just die, by any means, so this can be challenged in court and ruled as religious propaganda that attempts to circumvent separation of church and state?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yes but it should be done through charity and if the rich don't give enough well then they're bad Christians the poor just need to be grateful for whatever they're given.

Texas should be nuked until there's nothing but a gaping hole connected to the earth's core. Can a conservative justice please just die, by any means, so this can be challenged in court and ruled as religious propaganda that attempts to circumvent separation of church and state?

I'd love to hear the 5-4 split on why it isn't.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oh god, the Moses thing. Which fictional character will sneak into American history as a foundational figure next? King Arthur? Oedipus? Romulus? We just going to work our way down the Rank-Raglan heroes or something?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I know you highlighted the part before, but really, this is the best:

quote:

Forget the biblical ignorance shown in suggesting Moses provided the code for a “nation” rather than for the Jewish people, who had no nation (failing to reach the Promised Land was kind of key to the Book of Deuteronomy). Forget the legal ignorance in suggesting the Constitution had anything to do with a “code of behavior” rather than establishing democratic government and the rights guaranteed to citizens. Forget the historical ignorance in suggesting that the first laws came from Moses when the sixth Amorite king of Babylon established one of the first written set of laws, known as Hammurabi's Code, hundreds of years earlier.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Are you legitimately asking why Obama doesn't stick a bunch of people from all over the world, mainly the middle east/north africa, in Puerto Rico and 'give the prisoners paid retirement'?

Like, every chunk of that idea is something he doesn't have the right to do alone, and probably shouldn't, and also would be kinda fuckin dumb even if he did?

"Hey, man, I know you're like twenty and we took you from Yemen in the dead of night because your neighbor lied to us about you totally building an IED one time but don't worry, we're gonna put you in a territory that you don't speak the language of, have no connections to, no future in, and generally no desire to be in, don't worry though I'm using my presidential magic wand to give you 'paid retirement' somehow!"

Oh ok, guess he should just give up and leave them rotting in prison then.

Caros
May 14, 2008

effectual posted:

Oh ok, guess he should just give up and leave them rotting in prison then.

Yes, because those are the only two options.

Your suggested fix was that the President would, in violation of congress, ship a few hundred understandably angry young men to what.. Puerto Rico? And then just give them money (somehow) and call it a day?

There are fixes for what is happening in Gitmo, such as attempting to find countries that will accept the prisoners for repatriation. Some magical idea where the president just says gently caress it and releases a bunch of prisoners into a us territory (which is somehow better?) and then everything is rainbows and gumdrops is outright stupid. Hth.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I love it. "We should be encouraging good citizenship and obedience to the law because that's exactly what the Founding Fathers did when they rebelled against England."

*cue loud farting noise*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

I've been following this closely, and one thing you'll notice is that the actual text of the rules in question are never printed - or it'll be something misleading like "we want to promote obedience in our schools, how is that censorship!?".

Here's what they're actually talking about :

quote:

Review criteria shall include the following: instructional materials should present the most current factual information accurately and objectively. Theories should be distinguished from fact. Materials should promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free enterprise system, respect for authority and respect for individual rights. Materials should not encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law. Instructional materials should present positive aspects of the United States and its heritage. Content pertaining to political and social movements in history should present balanced and factual treatment of the positions.