Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Don't hit your kids

namaste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

GreatGreen posted:

Never spank your children, just smile and tell them "no" then explain the deeper meaning behind why what they are doing is wrong using logic they will not understand for another several years as they laugh and continue doing exactly what you politely ask them not to do.

on the flip side, they may actually be decent human beings in another several years

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

mookface posted:

I cuff my kids when they gently caress up. not with enough force to severely hurt them but enough so that they wish they hadn't done that thing they done

I make my kids smoke a whole carton of cigarettes. Even if I didn't catch them smoking

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
hitting kids is a sign of a man's virility. it's why I go to the park and start beating the poo poo out of random children. then i have sex with their mother

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

ilikedirt posted:

my dads in tge army and was v strict and would flick me on the top of the head w/ his ring on his ring finger and its prob the most intense pain i ever felt in my entire life besides the pain of shame i felt as i failed to meet his overly high expectations of the man i would be once i grew up

did you kill him in his sleep?

THE PENETRATOR posted:

instead of spankings i lock my kid in his room w/o dinner

does he go on mystical adventures? because if so i think that's giving him the wrong impression

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

yoder00 posted:

My mom never tried to spank me until I got way bigger than her and then I would just laugh at her attempts. She is a small little woman and I was bigger than her by the time I was ten. She even tried wooden spoons and I would laugh and laugh as she smacked me with them, sometimes just to be an rear end in a top hat I would antagonize her into smacking me so I could show her how feeble her attempts were.

did the entire class stand up and applaud?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Das Boo posted:

A swat on the butt = Getting the ever-loving poo poo beat out of you and developing PTSD
Kill you're famil

why do you feel the need to hit small, defenseless children?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Maoist Pussy posted:

Because, in the right context, it is a simple and appropriate negative reinforcement that their tiny little monkey brains can readily understand, dummy.

actually that's positive punishment, lol look at this n00b

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Benedick Cuckold posted:

that's pretty cool how she's been desensitized to violence so quickly

that kid is a natural born killer, she's totally gonna own some brown people in the future lol

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Das Boo posted:

Because it's a better alternative to them running in front of cars, sticking things into electrical outlets and trying to stab themselves with any sharp thing they can get their hand on.
I'd rather have my kid be scared by a smack on the butt than not be afraid of killing himself.

hitting kids is the only way to change behavior - a goon

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

THS posted:

is there some way we can throw circumcision talk and the ethics of abortion into this discussion

i like to practice invitro spanking, where I punch my pregnant wife in the stomach as hard as possible. it's not abortion, it's just tough love

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Das Boo posted:

You give children too much credit to make the right decisions.

agreed. the only way I can assert authority is through violence because im a giant baby that was beaten as a child

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
also i love the idea that hitting your kid is the proper response to them trying to stick a fork in an electrical socket. lol what a hosed up goon

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

THE PENETRATOR posted:

yes, the correct response is to let them do it, 100% serious here, i would .

because the only way they're going to learn not to do that is by hitting them. i'm also a fan of hitting kids when they attempt to eat their legos as opposed to stopping them

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
choking on your toy? gently caress you johnny, prepare for my fist in your rear end

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Dirty Sanchez posted:

Is it ok to hit my kids if I first let them choose an item from the Weapon Cabinet? This is important.

only if they get to battle you like its gladiatorial combat

OMFG FURRY posted:

so what are you going to do when spanking/swat on the butt (since you don't want to call it that) doesn't work

hit them some more

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Maoist Pussy posted:

I have news for you, chief. What your parents were doing is not actually spanking.

it all makes sense

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Das Boo posted:

Does anyone remember getting vaccines as a kid? Do you remember the abject horror and terrible pain that needle caused you and how much you absolutely dreaded it?
Yeah, it didn't.

i forget, was the vaccine a punishment for something? maybe I've been thinking about this all wrong

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Das Boo posted:

For a kid, it's a death sentence, so yes.

you didn't answer the question.

ps don't have kids

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

olin posted:

Parents discipline their kids so they won't take drugs and have sex. But why does it even matter if their kids end up doing these things?

because their lives are devoid of all earthly pleasure and they must make sure their kids are just as dour as they are

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Das Boo posted:

It's contextual. To a parent, you're protecting the child from harm.
To the child, the doctor is trying to murder them.

So reality, no, mentally, yes.

what harm are you protecting the child from when you hit them? like, can't you just sit your kid down and explain to them why they shouldn't play with sharp things?

am i missing something here

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

THE PENETRATOR posted:

youre missing the fact that kids will only understand the consequences of their actions if they either complete them, and get owned, or get punished for attempting to complete them

so the only reason you aren't going on a jihadist crusade is because your parents hit you for attempting to kill the jews? do I only go to class because my parents hit me as a motivator?

is all of life just the culmination of one long beating? this is p deep

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Das Boo posted:

Yes, you're missing the years when children are highly mobile but don't understand mortality. The literal thought process is, "I won't get hurt" rather than "I could die." They really, really don't get that. You can tell them all about death, but it doesn't really register. It's still a game where losing is bumps and bruises.

what kind of hosed up parent are you that you'd let your toddler just wander off unattended. you should beat yourself for being a loving moron

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Das Boo posted:

Hold on, look at my post again:

Now please tell me where you got that idea.

if the kid is old enough to be talked to, they're old enough to understand not to do something when it is explained to them. and if they still don't, you could just not hit them and maybe put them in time out? idfk, i'm not your life coach. and if it's a 3-4 year old that you're just not watching then you are a loving idiot and should be spayed/neutered. For humanity.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Ebola Roulette posted:

Exactly. You're only teaching them to not to walk into traffic or they'll get hit. By you, not the car. You're not teaching them the danger of cars, you're teaching them to fear you.

this passes for parenting in the US lol

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Das Boo posted:

The highway kid was me. I was four. I unlocked the front door and walked up the street to where the highway was. My dad was at work, my mother could have been doing any one thing with my sisters, dinner or just chores. It only took a minute for me to slip out.
A neighborhood kid brought me back, and I got a swat on the butt. The one time in my life. I never walked up to the highway again because I got that if I did, I'd get a swat on the butt.

I also escaped once as a child, and never got spanked for it. Somehow I didn't end up dead or fail to learn how to not run off into the street. It just served as a lesson for my parents to keep a better watch on me, which is what the lesson should've been instead of "dumb kid why are you running away? *thwack*"

also lol @ psychological research saying you're dumb and wrong. "Physical punishment can work momentarily to stop problematic behavior because children are afraid of being hit, but it doesn’t work in the long term and can make children more aggressive, Graham-Bermann says."

but nah, spanking is the best way to handle the situation according to dumb goon

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Maoist Pussy posted:

Dear previous 8000 generations of humans-

don't have kids

- agoon

that would've been cool, yes

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
"my intuition is better than scientific research" - a fat american

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Ebola Roulette posted:

Seriously though some people say they used to get "spanked" when really they got beaten with a belt or something.

most people who "spank" do it multiple times a year, and a quarter of them "spank" their kids at least once a week. good company to be in imo

• Locked thread