Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yoder00
Dec 29, 2008

by Ralp
My dad spanked me a handful of times and I turned out perfectly fine. It took me being a real poo poo and not listening for hours before he would do it. Spanking was just the last resort when grounding and taking stuff away wouldn't work. I also had such a huge imagination growing up that standing in the corner was fun.

My mom never tried to spank me until I got way bigger than her and then I would just laugh at her attempts. She is a small little woman and I was bigger than her by the time I was ten. She even tried wooden spoons and I would laugh and laugh as she smacked me with them, sometimes just to be an rear end in a top hat I would antagonize her into smacking me so I could show her how feeble her attempts were. Then she would tell my dad when he got home from work and he would just tell me to stop making mom's life hard and point out all the poo poo she did for me and make me feel like a giant piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoder00
Dec 29, 2008

by Ralp

420DD Butts posted:

did the entire class stand up and applaud?

That would of been awesome if she would of come to school. And I'm sorry that you're such a little pussy that your mom hitting you caused you so many emotional problems.

yoder00
Dec 29, 2008

by Ralp
There is a big difference between spanking to correct a child's behavior and beating your kids.

There was a big difference between my dad and my uncle. My dad spanked me four times my whole life, and my uncle would beat the poo poo out of his kids with chains. My dad had children that grew up to be successful and my uncle has meth addicts for children.

yoder00
Dec 29, 2008

by Ralp

OMFG FURRY posted:

so what are you going to do when spanking/swat on the butt (since you don't want to call it that) doesn't work

What's funny about this statement is that every time my dad spanked me I didn't repeat the action. Once again it was the last resort when every other parenting handbook bullshit suggestion didn't work. Every once is a while you need to give the kid a couple swats on the rear end.

Most parents are not stable enough or good enough parents to know when to spank, which is why my state doesn't allow it. I've only ever spanked my son once and my daughter none, and we lived in Texas for a long time where they let you smack your kid around as long as the mark is gone in 24 hours.

yoder00
Dec 29, 2008

by Ralp

THE PENETRATOR posted:

however, corporal punishment is not necessary in many cases, but it can be used as a tool if the other punishments do not work.

pro tip: if ur kid eats peanut butter out of the jar, but double-dips with the same spoon, tell them they have to eat the entire jar. they wont do that poo poo again.

My wife and I took a bunch of parenting classes before our kids were born to make sure we didn't gently caress them up and in every class they said spanking can be used as a parenting tool. Not smacking them around for every stupid thing a child will eventually do, but for very serious cases where the kid just has it in there head that they want to be an rear end in a top hat no matter the cost.

My son was eight when I spanked him. He could tell what he did was serious poo poo because that was the first and only time I did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoder00
Dec 29, 2008

by Ralp

THE PENETRATOR posted:

a pro tactic would be to only spank your kid in this situation if they tried to do it multiple times after you have prevented them, and then ask them if they understand why you hit them, and open a dialogue so that they can gain an understanding of the consequences of their actions, which would be, getting hit by a car which hurts more than a spank

This. Or do what I did to my kids to get them to wear a loving bicycle helmet. They wouldn't listen to my story of when I was their age and got hit by a car. So I just had the wife drive slowish and threw a melon in front of the car, that finally got through their little kid head that cars are loving dangerous. We just had the melon in the fridge and obviously you can't come up with a lesson for loving everything a child decides to do, but when you can, that teaches them better than a spanking.

• Locked thread