Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Tunicate posted:

Is the interface thing that decouples map and menu fonts working in this version yet?

Considering that DFHack is clearly running in the background, suggesting we're playing version 40.10? Yeah, it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

poo poo, I'll throw my hat in the pot or however it goes. I'm in.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I'm in! Again!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I was miserable enough after watching all of my friends die. Better off like this.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

You just zoomed in with the scroll wheel or made the window too tiny.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

A 250lb cassowary with antlers.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah, density still rules the day with hammers.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Is there a difference in what materials make good smashing weapons, and what materials make good cutting/stabbing weapons? Or are some materials just +weapon goodness in general?

HOT drat SOMEBODY ASKED

There is a difference. Cutting/stabbing is about the weapon and the material playing top trumps with their SHEAR_YIELD and SHEAR_FRACTURE values to see whether the defending layer/tissue/armor can grind down the attack's momentum before it's sawed completely apart. If it fails, the attack must go back to square 1 where it will see if it can smash through.

Smashing is about the attack's total momentum desperately trying to overcome the IMPACT values and thickness of the defending layer/tissue/armor - much less so if it flexes (IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:50000). If the defending layer is heavy (volume + density) enough and the weapon is small and soft (low volume and IMPACT_YIELD) enough, the attack might just immediately deflect without ever getting to the actual comparisons. This is the only time the weapon material's IMPACT_x values are ever asked!

High weapon quality and MAX_EDGE make the slice lose less momentum as it cuts through metal and flesh. The fact that MAX_EDGE is all the same across the board is a real lost opportunity in metal balancing. To make everything just a little less instant-death-gently caress-you effective, try lowering them to 5000-6000.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 3, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

It's deterministic with a pile of specific factors spitting in the soup. To illustrate how, here's some notes I jotted down in my weapon_default.txt about attack momentum once:

quote:

swing velocity = [(wielder base size/10) * actual strength * attack speed multiplier * rage bonus * (1/effective heft)] * fighting quality multiplier

Rage bonus is a 1.25x multiplier and gets applied if the swinger is berserk, enraged or tantruming. Fighting quality multiplier hovers around 1x, but the total range reaches from 2x to 0,0005x. It is affected by (but not limited to) combat skills, martial trance, adverse health effects like nausea and stunning, self-discipline, gregariousness, assertiveness, being webbed, luck curses and whether the weapon needs two hands.

There's a similar "circumstances multiplier" for every step of the cutting/fracturing calculations, too. There's a range of effects, but no 1% chance of the impossible.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

JamieTheD posted:

Ah, so somebody cut the tree down and/or mined out its roots, and it promptly fell on them (along with some sand)? Yeah, I've done that before... :D

No, this is worse. It seems that sometimes growing branches pop into existence disconnected and implode from their own impossibility, causing small explosions that cover their victims in dirt.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Jabor posted:

Unfortunately, I would say that it seems unlikely that DF will ever get the power to use different pictures for different things, instead of having to use the same picture for everything mapped to the same letter in the ascii tileset. On the other hand, it seems like it's now possible to have pictures of rocks without having the rocks also replace the punctuation in all the text, so maybe there's hope...

Look what you just made me do with TWBT's overrides.txt.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

No, this is all DFHack magic. Some dude got tired of the TrueType situation being a flickershit and hacked together a thing that hijacks a lot of the rendering.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

If you actually wanted to add hard hats for all miners, could you set a miner "uniform," or would you have to recruit all your miners into a military unit uniformed with helmets?

Miners, woodcutters and hunters get their equipment by instituting an invisible "uniform" in the background. It conflicts with the ones mandated by the military.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The [ORIENTATION] tag was detected in the executable a few version numbers ago. Not exactly sure what drove Toady to implement it right here and now, but there you go.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

I'm guessing also maybe some man-babies complained and/or wanted women to be gay at a much higher rate than men. There is probably a correlation between "people who donate lavishly to DF" and "creepy shut-ins" and creepy shut-ins aren't known for their progressive social values.

If this was anywhere else on the internet, I'd probably agree, but Toady is a bizarrely decent man who knows his place.

He unconditionally banished all pony poo poo from the forums once it reached the critical mass of creepy at the start of the decade. When furries petitioned for animal people to be in the game through the sponsorship drive, he included them in a tasteful manner, mostly using them to demonstrate the brand-new creature variation system. In all of the numerous interviews, appearances and quotes he hasn't displayed an ounce of the typical vices and mental faults for a normal white male internet denizen, never mind a guy sitting in the eye of a worshipful nerd vortex. He smoked crack once and really liked it, but then reasoned that this is the way an addict thinks and didn't touch it ever again.

His only flaws are being a shut-in (only real social contact is with his brothers + Scamp) and drinking soda like water. He's just incorruptible somehow.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 14, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Nah, he's got one eye on the forums whenever he can spare it from the coding. He just doesn't join the conversation unless it's to keep order.

I know because the local GBS always needs peacekeeping for the mentioned reasons.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

That's a lot of live honey bees. Does the game track every individual member of a hive?

Yes! The tag [PETVALUE_DIVISOR] was specifically implemented so that the minimum value of 1ᴦ per bee wouldn't immediately inflate fortress value into the millions.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Cut out DFHack if it gets intolerable. To do that, switch the names of SDL.dll (hack hijacker) and SDLreal.dll (the renamed original) back around.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

But how could we live without GELDING?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

That's what happens when you have dudes barfing into wells. Draw water from a tile that has puke floating on it, you get icky water.

There's similar miffed thoughts about blood, pus and vaguely defined "filth".

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

About goddamn time someone showed TWBT off.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I'm digging your style of narration.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

They can't starve to death. Bury one inside the mountain, your fort won't fall as long as he lives.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

Funny thing that I just noticed about this screenshot when I looked at it again. By the colour of Geri Khan's "On Break" job, we can tell that another dwarf is about to die. Note how it is teal rather than the grey every other job uses (in default graphics, it would be cyan vs teal); drinking blood is treated as a job by the game, just like "Drink" or "Eat" are for dwarves, but it is disguised as a slightly off-colour "On Break" for vampires. If we zoom to Geri Khan, then we can almost assuredly see him about to go sneak into some poor dwarf's bedroom for a snack.

:aaaaa:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Plek posted:

Holy poo poo am I misreading the log or is that forgotten beast wielding an iron pick?

It is. This thing is a grabby-hands humanoid, after all.

Best I can tell, it belonged to the Diagnoser Iden Tangathathel.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

xmangled forgotten beast headx

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

With the newest update permitting 1x1 map square forts? Not impossible!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Heads? gently caress that, watch dudes get their upper bodies pulverized and die before they hit the wall.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Dashticle posted:

It's really hard to locate dead bodies or isolate causes of death. I've heard if you carve a memorial it will tell you what they died from. Carving memorials is a pain in the rear end that takes a bit of micromanaging, but I'll give it a go after I finish writing this last update and give up the save.

:ssh: Target a corpse and try the magic command deathcause.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Dashticle posted:

Nice! Is there an easy way to find and zoom to a specific corpse? I'm not on my DF machine atm but you can see them in list form in Stocks -> corpses or something?

See, there you go. You don't need my help.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Hahaha gently caress. Eleven hundred hammerblows to the face.

I'm sure the puddle of thin red gruel is going to be pissed when it has to serve an extra 15 years in prison on top. Not to mention the beating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yo Rotek. The save's raws are formatted for Phoebus, which is causing all that ääääÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ spam with the walls.

There don't seem to be any modded changes, so you could just copy over the basic vanilla baseline raws into the save's raw folder to make things look proper for ASCII again. If you do, consider backing up the current state of affairs first, so the next guy who's probably also rolling with a graphics pack won't have to screw with things.

• Locked thread