Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rogue Lemon posted:

Holy poo poo. I don't immediately see anything pandering to the pedophile OR sister-loving demographics. Are the people of Japan rioting in the streets yet?

Selector Spread Wixoss will probably continue the incest subplot from the first season. But the incest trend has been dead for months now, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Aw man I was actually planning on watching Haruhi S2 at some point. That Eternal Eight stuff really put me off.

My anime knowledge basically ends in 2009 yes

Maybe it's time to re-asess my crunchyroll subscription after Persona finishes. Yuki Chan is out next year and if Funimation picked up the Haruhi license, it's a safe bet they will be streaming it.

Also most of the English dub is up on YouTube still. Disappearance was available in HD since 2011 from a random uploader.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

New Kill la Kill OVA is out today (part of a blu-release iirc) basically its a 43 minute episode 25 that deals with the aftermath of the finale. I liked what I saw from some of the screenshot leaks. Probably will be good if liked KLK and probably bad if you hated it.

Subs are out and it's more like 27 minutes. It certainly explains why there's a lake where Honnouji Academy was. This episode also grants Zorak's wish.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

HiveCommander posted:

For what it's worth, FMP fans will see a familiar face in Amagi

Touko or someone even less interesting?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Just going by the name Amagi Brilliant Park it's most certainly Bonta featured heavily in Fumoffu

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Level Slide posted:

Subs are out and it's more like 27 minutes. It certainly explains why there's a lake where Honnouji Academy was. This episode also grants Zorak's wish.
I do love how they had another MGS reference (probably not intentional though)

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rogue Lemon posted:

Holy poo poo. I don't immediately see anything pandering to the pedophile OR sister-loving demographics. Are the people of Japan rioting in the streets yet?

Well, at least they've covered the all-important "gender-swap fetishists who are obsessed with one specific hairstyle" demographic.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah, the twintails anime is really hosed up.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Level Slide posted:

This episode also grants Zorak's wish.

yea the Nia cameo was really unexpected. then she put on the outfit and :vince:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Level Slide posted:

Way = not lost.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I am super excited for Log Horizon and Chaika returning at the same time. Yet also really realllly looking forward to the return of WIXOSS. That show caught me off guard when I marathoned it all. :allears:

Probably going to end up giving 70% of the shows this coming season a try like I always end up doing regardless of my plans in advance.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zorak posted:

Tomino has already been ranting away about how he hates modern voice actors and wants to destroy them

Y'know Zorak, I'm sure you're going for humor on this (these are, after all, the Forums for a Comedy/Satire website) and I'm sure that's :thejoke: , but when did Old Man Tomino mentioned that he disliked modern voice actors?

Also:

Must Watch: Mushi-shi, Log Horizon II, Chaika II, Parasyte, Gundam Reco in G.
Maybe? Psycho Pass II, Inou-Battle
You gotta be making GBS threads me. Tenchi Muyo? Do enough people still give enough of a gently caress about Ten

Still unsure about the 2nd Noitamina show. Additionally? I hope Psycho Pass II kills off the whole loving cast.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 4, 2014

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

ANN - Gundam's Tomino Thinks Young Voice Actors All Sound the Same posted:

Yoshiyuki Tomino, the opinionated creator of the Gundam franchise recently lamented the state of anime's voice acting industry in the September issue of Bandai Visual's Beat Magazine. Fresh from casting his upcoming Gundam: Reconguista in G anime television series, Tomino said, "All of the young voice actors had been contaminated by currently trendy anime. All of their voices sounded the same to me, so the first order of business was to break them of those habits."

According to Tomino, current voice acting adds too much flare and he was looking for actors whose voices sounded natural. “But those are habits they pick up in the normal course of their careers, so it's something that often they just can't do,” Tomino said. He offered a backhanded compliment for his starring voice actress Yu Shimamura, stating he was proud in how her performance changed by episode two.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
My reaction to the Kill la Kill OVA:

It still doesn't get used.

Pretty good OVA all things considered though. Kinda more or less confirmed how "only decent" KLK is to me now but the OVA wrapped things up pretty alright. Rei coming back and the school transforming were loving radical though, as was Ryuko's finishing move.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

My reaction to the Kill la Kill OVA:

It still doesn't get used.

Pretty good OVA all things considered though. Kinda more or less confirmed how "only decent" KLK is to me now but the OVA wrapped things up pretty alright. Rei coming back and the school transforming were loving radical though, as was Ryuko's finishing move.
The Elite 4 DTRs were great as well, as well as Mako taking control of the school for her speech

Glad I have context of what's going on with the sub though. I want another OVA about what happens after the credits of the last episode though.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
The Kill la Kill OVA was alright, I guess. Mostly just confirmed I really am completely over the show now, but it was a decent send off.

I'm a little bit annoyed it has basically no relation to the end of episode 24, though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It was basically another episode of Kill la Kill and that's that. I don't have a lot to say about it. I suppose it was one of the good episodes rather than the crummy ones.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

the crummy ones.

aka most of that show :smugmrgw:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is it Dawn of a Miserable Morning good? If not than I don't care.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

The Devil Tesla posted:

Is it Dawn of a Miserable Morning good?

That was the best episode in the show, so no.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Loved the KLK special. It was like coming home. :allears:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pootybutt posted:

Loved the KLK special. It was like coming home. :allears:

I think I shed a manly tear.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Here's hoping Build Fighters breaks the Sunrise curse. Other then that this looks to be kind of a bland season, though I guess I'm contractually obliged to check out the IS2 and DAL OVAs. Boy, those'll be stupid as hell and painfully generic respectively.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Setting second seasons aside,

Terra Formars, 7 Deadly Sins, Parasyte, amd Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai are all things I'm not terribly familiar with but have heard enough good things about to give a chance.

Fate UBW - The stuff has been adapted 3-4 times before, but this is one of the good routes, and more importantly is being done by Ufotable, who did fantastic work with Zero. I'd watch it for the visuals if nothing else.

Grisaia - I'm an unabashed fan of the VNs and have read all three of them so I'm there. However, I'll be the first to admit that the structure of them doesn't easily lend itself to a straight anime adaptation, the script could turn out to be something of a trainwreck and not get to some of the better parts. I'd encourage anybody on the fence to give it a chance, though. The humor is mostly good, and almost all the characters are great. Also I'm really hoping it does well so they animate the second and third novels in another season. (If they try to squeeze them in to a single season with the first one, it's a sign the adaptation is going wrong.

Merman bathtub and Terrible twintail thing both look like they might be trainwrecks, but in the interest of fairness I think I'll give them one chance.

Girlfriend - AFAIK this cell phone game got popular enough to get an anime for one and only one reason. One character has a french name, and her VA's attempt to introduce herself was an incredible trainwreck of failed pronunciation and got aired a million times during commercials on Japanese New Years Eve TV programming, making it go viral the next day.

Trinity Seven
- I remember reading some of the manga and thinking that it had potential but was kinda bad. I think it may have been in the territory where a good adaptation good bump it up into watchable, though. It gets a chance to see.

Gundam Reconguista
- I'd heard Tomino was being a particularly grouchy old man lately, this was the reason? I hadn't heard much about it, so I think I'll pass on watching promo materials and go in completely blind.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Relin posted:

Just going by the name Amagi Brilliant Park it's most certainly Bonta featured heavily in Fumoffu

:siren: DING DING DING :siren: We have a winner!

Bakanogami posted:

Grisaia - I'm an unabashed fan of the VNs and have read all three of them so I'm there. However, I'll be the first to admit that the structure of them doesn't easily lend itself to a straight anime adaptation, the script could turn out to be something of a trainwreck and not get to some of the better parts. I'd encourage anybody on the fence to give it a chance, though. The humor is mostly good, and almost all the characters are great. Also I'm really hoping it does well so they animate the second and third novels in another season. (If they try to squeeze them in to a single season with the first one, it's a sign the adaptation is going wrong.
I think I know which one you're omitting from this statement (hint: :pedo:)
I couldn't stand Makina and was pretty on the fence about Amane, but the rest were great. The second and third games aren't translated yet, are they?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Daitoshokan is supposed to be good?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HiveCommander posted:

:siren: DING DING DING :siren: We have a winner!

I think I know which one you're omitting from this statement (hint: :pedo:)
I couldn't stand Makina and was pretty on the fence about Amane, but the rest were great. The second and third games aren't translated yet, are they?

Makina's definitely the odd character out. I hated her to begin with and kind of disliked her route (many people think it's the best written one, though), but the more time went on the more she grew on me. She's still the weakest link in an otherwise great cast, though. Amane I liked pretty much from the start. It helped that she has the same voice as Kagami Sumika so I got Muv Luv flashbacks listening to her.

The first game's the only one translated, and its patch is no longer available through its prior routes since they've announced an official localization recently. The main chunk of the other two games are based on a hypothetical "true" route where all the heroines' stories advance but nobody winds up in a romantic relationship with the main character. Or maybe they all do, it's unclear. The anime will probably be an attempt to make that route, I suppose. In any event, they tie up a lot of loose ends from the first game and have some good moments, but the story kind of goes off the deep end a little bit.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Daitoshokan is supposed to be good?

I honestly have no idea, I've just seen its name around a fair amount and have enjoyed some of August's work in the past.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I hope Terra Formars gets a good narrator to explain all the stupid insect facts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Trinity Seven had this bizarre disconnect where the first chapter was kind of grim but then it immediately jumped into a generic magic high school harem situation. So, don't be fooled by the first episode.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Silver2195 posted:

Selector Spread Wixoss will probably continue the incest subplot from the first season. But the incest trend has been dead for months now, yes.

Technically it's not incest anymore! Still, kinda hard to lump it in with "incest anime" considering the character with incestual feelings spends the entire season tormented by the fact that she knows her feelings are wrong.

K. Flaps posted:

I hope Terra Formars gets a good narrator to explain all the stupid insect facts.

I'll take the Hunter x Hunter guy.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Eej posted:

Still, kinda hard to lump it in with "incest anime" considering the character with incestual feelings spends the entire season tormented by the fact that she knows her feelings are wrong.

Incest anim subcategorisation is deep and complex

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I heard WIXOSS was an incest card game anime and never even bothered picking it up until yesterday. It was actually good, definitely one of the biggest mismatches between my expectations and reality in a long time.

:shrug:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Chaika, Log Horizon, Gundam and Parasyte? :getin: Fall looks to be a decent season. Dunno how I'll view Gundam after watching Aldnoah Zero though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

Chaika, Log Horizon, Gundam and Parasyte? :getin: Fall looks to be a decent season. Dunno how I'll view Gundam after watching Aldnoah Zero though.

If you mean G-Reco, it's probably not gonna be very Gundam-y at all, since there have been a few things that hint towards it being a Tomino project that had to get the Gundam name attached in order to get made.

(And even if that's not the case, if Turn A is any indication Tomino's never gonna go back to repeating the same 'ol UC stuff anyhow)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Here's a commercial for Unlimited Blade Works. It has a bit of the opening in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzoRddWX9oo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My whole life is going to be Unlimited Blade Works whenever it starts.

I guess I will watch new Gundam too.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Gundam Reconquista, and Log Horizon 2, I will watch.

But the show I'm holding out for is actually the Ronia the Robber's Daughter adaptation.

Come on, it's based on a Astrid Lindgren book (call this hyperbolic, but if you actively hate Pippi Longstocking - you have no soul), Polygon Pictures showed that they can actually do decent 3DCG with Knights of Sidonia, and Goro Miyazaki is not a bad director at all, just most people try to compare him to his father.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 8, 2014

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

And now I am most certainly getting into Terra Formars next month. Did I mention that the OVA's out right now?

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Rogue Lemon posted:

its still got awful yuri garbage so they're fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
DrPaper, taking a bold stand against gay and lesbian representation in media.

• Locked thread