Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Here's a commercial for Unlimited Blade Works. It has a bit of the opening in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzoRddWX9oo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

So, does the racist bug manga ever actually have a story or is it: bug people go to Mars -> show off bug powers -> get massacred -> repeat forever?

This was my main problem with it. After they killed off the third entire cast of characters, my patience wore thin.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sindai posted:

Yes there's a lot of intrigue and human/human fighting with the nations betraying each other to get access to superior bug hybrid mutation technology. The first mission where almost everyone dies is just the prologue.

What about the second and third missions where almost everyone dies? Are those just the prologue?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Zorak posted:

It's selling good as Snow Hatalion indicated, but my understanding was they kind of expected it to sell better? I could have sworn I read something on the subject but I'm honestly having trouble finding it again so I may just be misremembering this entire thing due to sheer Internet.

So it's a Tomb Raider situation where objectively, it's selling pretty drat well, but the maker just had really high expectations for it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lol if you're using loving MikuMikuDance as an example of good animation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Do you like Japanese women singing Russian WWII songs? Girls Und Panzer has you covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgweofjxZCU

Edit: And apparently there's some copyright issue with Katyusha because this scene wasn't in the simulcast version and the dub replaced it with an instrumental of Korobeiniki, aka loving TETRIS.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 20, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

The anime of the year is Space Dandy.

I agree.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fate/Zero was also a series of light novels.

Shame on you for forgetting. :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Srice posted:

If people are reading light novels and they don't read any actual Japanese lit then they should fix that asap, tia.

Listen, I've got a copy of Battle Royale, but I gotta finish Journey to the West first! :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

I just looked up this "Horizon" thing on Wikipedia and the "plot" section of the article is truly a thing of beauty. Never before have I seen a paragraph where every sentence made me go "woah, wait, hold on a second, what the gently caress?" quite as strong as that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon_in_the_Middle_of_Nowhere

Thank you goons, for revealing this to me and allowing me to be shocked and amazed for a few seconds

Holy gently caress, THAT'S what it's about? I thought it was just a mecha thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Here's a key visual for Yuri Kuma/Lesbears.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

You know its bad when hardcore otaku think the fanservice is absurd

I'm reminded of when Gainax said that Yoko from Gurren Lagann was 14 and even the otaku called bullshit and then they backpedaled with "Underground years, guys. They're different!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lol if you don't have Dick Spacious on ignore already.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It seems like the Hollywood Ghost in the Shell movie has found its Major. An Aussie actress named Margot Robbie.

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_japan/anime_news/AJ201409300046

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

madmac posted:

Fate/Stay Night Finally, something that doesn't look like some kids first anime project. I was worried going in that it couldn't possibly overcome my general apathy towards FSN at this point, but it's honestly rad enough that I think I'll stick with it. (I'm a bit confused though, I thought this was like a different route or something and so far it seems identical to the original FSN except for being from Rin's perspective.)

Episode 00 covered the prologue, which you read before starting any route, and episode 01 is going to cover the same span of time, but from Shirou's perspective. These first three days are also common to all routes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Wolf Girl and the Black Prince was pretty amusing until the guy literally started referring to the female lead as a dog and yeah, gently caress that.

Wolf Girl and the Black Prince: An anime about updog

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Srice posted:

Pretty sure Imaishi has zero involvement with the show so far.

This is important to note. All of Trigger's skeeziness is pretty much Imaishi alone. Dude is a megaperv.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Eej posted:

Best described as "a lame attempt at literally copying Code Geass".

Don't forget the beginning of the second half, with a quarantined school becoming its own city state run by the main character, who literally kills the students with weak powers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Guilty Crown is one of those series that's immensely fun to watch with friends and tear apart.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

That may be an initial reaction to simply hearing a slightly pitched voiced. I didn't hear that myself, and having watched the series to completion subbed and dubbed her VA does a good job of selling what her character is like. Watch a full episode and I think you'd easily accept the different voice and see that it suits her pretty well.

This is the only thing I'm afraid of losing in the Psycho-Pass dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wetMkQNQ4a4

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh, gently caress off.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Did the phrase even come up in anime before Chuu2? Isn't it a relatively new term/archetype?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

what bothers me the most is these women's weirdly specific tastes when it comes to movies

I was about to say, what the gently caress is that bullshit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's a....it's a bra size.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Okay, what the gently caress. :nws: picture

quote:

Along with the plans for My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, publishing imprint Gagaga Bunko's 2015 announcements include an anime adaptation of Hirotaka Akagi's Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai - Manmaruban (A Boring World Where the Concept of 'Dirty Jokes' Does Not Exist"), a dystopian comedy in which two teen rebels commit terrorist acts against a society that has outlawed crass humor.

Light novels are trash.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1287579779/go-samurai-an-animated-short-film-by-keiichiro-kim

Here's a Kickstarter for a short film by Keiichiro Kimura.

What's the catch? It's going to be animated with nothing but hand-drawn pencil frames.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Maid, not nun. It's not Eda's Blood Trail.

Also, Roberta's Blood Trail is commendable for compressing an arc that, at its end, made up about half of the manga's entire chapter count and that even the author admits went on for way too long and was way too slow into something that's actually watchable that takes like a quarter of the time and loses nothing, except for a slightly altered ending.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

There are no good characters in the fate franchise

Taiga Fujimura disagrees.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Based on the success of Space Dandy, Funimation is going to be dubbing more series as they currently air in Japan.

The first two series to be streamed with Broadcast Dubs will be Laughing Under the Clouds and Psycho-Pass 2 in November.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Space Dandy was a gamble that seems to have paid off pretty big, at least ratings and feedback wise. We'll see how it fares once the US discs come out, which I'm assuming they're waiting until the entire thing is out in Japan to release.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, doing it for Psycho-Pass makes sense. It's not like they're airing them on Toonami like Space Dandy, it's gonna be a stream for subscribers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Robert Denby posted:

Or the "Mellow Maromi" episode of "Paranoia Agent". I've seen that with a group of animators and they spent half the episode kind of averting their gaze from the screen.

Any teenage anime fan who says to themselves "I'm gonna live in Japan and make anime!" should not only watch that episode, but the entirety of Paranoia Agent. It's a brilliant wake-up call.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am all for Lesbears.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Man those backgrounds, so Ikuhara it hurts.

Oh god, trials? Ace Attorney with bear people. :allears:

Gyakuten Saibear

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Leading up to the CGWORLD creative conference next week, Studio Khara and CyberConnect2 have created dueling shorts that will be refereed at the event by Kamikaze Douga's Junpei Mizusaki and their month-long development will be discussed.

Here's Khara's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlRU_J5qYg0

And CC2's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-PudD1UrvU

I appreciate how CC2's is literally an Ultimate Ninja game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

if so it was a terrible thesis

A cruel angel's thesis, if you will.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Nah I am always right when it comes to bad anime.

Truly the Cassandra of our time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A girl wielding a safety pin was fighting a Kamen Rider.

I'm in.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

According to MAL, it came out on the 29th, so it should already be out. You know, being an OVA and all, it doesn't air on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

aers posted:

Umetsu's been animating since the 80s (the Zeta OP is his solo work, in fact!) and is a very talented animator but all his original stuff is pretty skeevy. He however has a ton of friends in the industry so when he makes a show there tends to be a lot of standout animation in it since he'll get his buddies to contribute for a few episodes (Wizard Barristers ep1, for example).

That's really all you need to know.

It's funny how loving fantastic Wizard Barristers episode 1 looks because from what I heard, they pretty much ran out of money entirely by the last few episodes.

• Locked thread