Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Glad to see this thread is finally open. Hyped for more Psycho-Pass and Fatestaynacht. :parrot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

And now I am most certainly getting into Terra Formars next month. Did I mention that the OVA's out right now?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm surprised that nobody bothered to mention Prison School at this time.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

boom boom boom posted:

What kind of weirdo doesn't want to gently caress a merman?

Any sane sort of person. Even the women who realize that fish sex isn't their thing.

Probably.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fish don't have wangs! The heterosexual usually aren't into half-fish eunuchs that could only possibly give decent hand- and what am I rambling on about now? Yeesh.

Can't be getting into fish reproductive systems at 4 am now. Durarara S2 will be arriving in January after all...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I think the better question is: Where is the well-needed monogatari filler between our two lovers?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

I've read a lot of Light Novels in Japanese; most of them are utter dogshit, but unfortunately, I have a really bad case of the "Gotta finish it!"(if there's a legit name for this, it escapes me) disease. Fortunately, a lot of the LN's I've read were so lovely, they actually started curing me from this stupid habit little by little.

The best / least crappy LN series I've read and could be considered finished were:
  • Spice and Wolf
  • Boogiepop
  • Haruhi Suzumiya
  • Full Metal Panic!
  • The Twelve Motherfucking Kingdoms (which released its last volume last year) :black101:
  • Denpa Teki na Kanojo
  • Slayers
  • Saiunkoku Monogatari

I've read some other novels that could be considered good, but I'm unsure if they're considered bona-fide Novels or LN's (Shiki, LOGH, the Sekai/of the Stars series are the ones that pop-up to mind right now).

The three series I've sincerely disliked the most were:
  • Mahouka: gently caress this lovely novel, gently caress this lovely author and the jerkface who recommended me this after he got me the Gundam Unicorn novels was probably trolling me.
  • Kyoukai Senjo no Horizon: This guy is even more in love with his own rectum than NisioisiN is with words. How on earth has this guy not met an editor who has said to him "Please stop. It's not a light novel if it's over a thousand loving pages long, you feckless dumbass!" at this point?
  • Infinite Stratos: This series pisses me off because it had a good idea in the first volume regarding how, thanks to the I.S. technology being similar to the Kobu in Sakura Wars (that it can only be used by women until a Special Snowflake male comes around), there was a gender power-shift and now men were seen as the "weak gender". Then it decided to drop any pretense of this and be about the loving harem.

And my question is: Why are most Japanese young adult literature / LN writers so hell-bent about setting up a harem? I suppose it's about the "Oh, look I'm a chick magnet" type of escapism / fantasy, but they almost always portray the main character as someone who either can barely look after himself or, you know, an aggressively dull flesh brick with the personality to match.

e: vvvvv I guess at the end of the day, I want a more down-to-earth version of School Days to happen to a harem protagonist. :v: vvvvv

I would personally recommend the Bakemonogatari LN series and it's DIVINE anime adaptations. I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned.

EDIT: Wait a minute, Terraformars is already out!?

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 27, 2014

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

darkgray posted:

It's because the Monogatari series isn't light novel, it's literary art, like Srice already mentioned more people need to read.
Doesn't the wiki say it's a light novel series?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

The fact that the dude can write conversations really well....instead of the adventures of the Ararararagi and his cavalcade of emotionally disturbed haremettes.
Those are some fighting words.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

^^

Since when did discussion of the fall anime season evolve into Ted Talks?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Things just escalated into wacky awesomeness in just 40 posts.

WRYYYYYYYY~

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

DrSunshine posted:

I thought that everyone who wrote a light novel imagined they were writing a novel about anime characters. Like that was entirely the point, with the illustrations and whatnot.
I know it's still the case with Nisio Isin, given that:

Gahara: After all, my seiyuu is excellent.
Arararagi: What is this, an anime!?

Was said in the LN BEFORE it became an anime.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

YESYESYESYESYESS~!!!

Winter is coming, and it can't come soon enough now!

Anyways time to watch Staynacht.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

why cant they just make a nice normal romance show. you know one where a girl and a guy just love each other. you know one where like the guy is in his mid 20's, has a good office job, his own place, and is just an all-around normal guy. the same for the girl, but if she was like really into karuta, or a motorcycle courier that rode her black motorbike around the city making deliveries that would be fine too. that's my dream
So you don't like Monogatari?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I can't wait to take a look at Fate:Staynacht in the morning...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

kater posted:

Was Cross Ange the show everyone was laughing at a whiles back for the 'pilot getting out of mecha and shooting alongside giant mecha'? Or was there something stupid as gently caress I managed to avoid in the interim and now this is just how things work?
Unfortunately anal rape is involved. I would most certainly avoid it if you value your soul.

I wonder what kind of route Grisaia will take...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bakanogami posted:

Made a thread for Grisaia no Kajitsu

Thank you very much!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This is going to be fun.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I sometimes wonder if the general quality of anime has been in constant decline these days...

I'm scared to think that the industry may not outlast the current shittiness of Hollywood. :stonk:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Cross Ange or no, this is still pretty much the best goddamn season in possibly a decade or more. Even if a solid half of these shows spectacularly poo poo the bed, this is still a really good season. How do you even figure it's been in constant decline?

I would think it comes from the analysis of decline in average sales, and of several reviewers lamenting the death of shounen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtl-U_XhFZY

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Eej posted:

Esdeath. :swoon:
I might have to agree with you there.

Anyways does Fate/stay night have/need a thread?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Parasyte Episode 1 was very tantalizingly brilliant to watch. It had my undividing attention and excitement every minute it was playing.

11/10, gushing over 2-cour season. :sbahj:

Fruit of Grisaia I would give an 8/10, only because I have no idea where the plot will go... (Do not spoil me on this one!)

Also I refuse to watch Terraformars thanks to 1. Racial undertones and 2. GRRM hijacked the script.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 14, 2014

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

nuru posted:

I can complain about a lot of things in Terraformers, but all races and genders seem to die pretty equally!
I was talking about the Super Roaches looking like blackfaced cavemen. Reminds me of apartheid and all...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

nuru posted:

You're probably finding racism where none exists. Judging by the picture linked earlier, it's pretty much exactly roach + neanderthal.
Many other people I know on separate forums thought there was...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

nuru posted:

Tell me more about the things many of the people you know think.
...Nevermind. Their opinions aren't worth it anyways.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ViggyNash posted:

Second episode of Parasyte was pretty good, and left us with some interesting potential-plot tidbits to chew on. The music is still entirely out of place except when dubstep is playing behind a tense/action sequence.

e: Also, Chaika remains Chaika, but now they've revealed the season 2 mcguffin so plot's finally happening.
Parasyte episode 2's already out!? I'll be off then!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Excuse me, but where could I start a thread pertaining to the recent Anime Pregnancy Announcement meme? Like this?

http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/memes/japans-pregnancy-announcement-meme

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

anywhere you want, friend
Unfortunately that got gassed in record time.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Potsticker posted:

The OP was really low effort. Now the NTR game thread, that was pretty hilarious.
Someone should try that one again. This meme is goldmine potential.

EDIT: BTW Tsukimonogatari is being released as a 4-part OVA this new years eve!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The censorship was so bad it made the author rage-quit his series.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

@akitten: Why in all seven hells are you enjoying FFXIV!? :stonk:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

ffxiv is good now apparently
I refuse to believe that even for a millisecond.

Now FFXV on the other hand...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Endorph posted:

yes but we already decided many years ago that goku could totally beat sephiroth
Anyone with energy attacks these days could beat Sephiroth...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Today I stumbled upon the greatness that was the Animerica comic series line. Which ended in 2004 when I was 9. And never got to read...

I suddenly feel very sad. :negative:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

You know what funimation and the others need to stop doing? Dubbing. Just release the japanese version simultaneously with english subtitles, and maybe average people will appreciate anime even more.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

nuru posted:

They've tried that with simulcasts. A lot of people like well done dubs. Most Studio Ghibli films, for instance.
I wonder how many people will like Bakemonogatari subbed when it eventually comes into the states...

I will make it happen.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Toei stripped the TV show of ANY blood or gore, put very little :effort: into any animation (just like One Piece) and so on.

@CPA: I will always base my model girlfriend off of the Harem goddess Gahara-Sama.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 6, 2014

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Now you can hear Clannad fully voiced... again.

God Clannad is such horseshit.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

alright buddy you and me

Senjougahara reigns supreme~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fangz posted:

You don't.
They were already un-doable with their giant misplaced eyes.

• Locked thread