Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

As the starter of the RoF thread in Games, I guess I'll have to get in on this co-op stuff at some point. I, too, have all the things on Steam, except the latest release of the Hanriot and a few other planes.

Also good job doing this in the co-op while flying over no man's land. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUHZZwuybiY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh, and having your elevator destroyed/disabled like that one guy really does suck. You basically have to perform all sorts of rolls to turn that pitch into horizontal movement and try to bleed altitude, then stall the plane just right. Even then you're looking at hitting the ground hard, wrecking the plane, and probably hurting yourself. If only we had parachutes*!

Here is me attempting to safely land an Albatros D.V with a disabled elevator jammed at an upwards pitch. Not the best job.

Amazingly I survived, but was hospitalized.

*Early Parachutes were around during WW1, though not 100% reliable. In the last year of the war the Germans started issuing to them to pilots because they realized just how valuable their dwindling reserve of skilled pilots was compared to the planes themselves. Meanwhile throughout the war the allies basically refused to issue them because planes are expensive and the top brass worried pilots would panic and bail out the second they saw the enemy/got shot at/took the smallest of hits.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, unfortunately the stock AI doesn't have much of a concept of energy fighting in RoF and it most just turns into spiraling turn fights towards the ground. I believe some people have tried to mod it to "Boom and Zoom" more with limited success.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

For the Germans it was generally ~10ish kills to be a Überkanonen.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh no, Boom and Zoom is very much a thing in WW1. The advantages may only be measured in tens of KPH and dozens or hundreds of Meters, but while the agile Sopwith Camel and Fokker Dr.I are the most well known fighters of the war in popular culture, the most lethal were the likes of the SPAD 13, S.E.5a, and Fokker D.VII(F), planes with powerful engines able to climb well and wings strong enough to sustain a good dive. The dives may not have been the near-straight down hell-dives of a Bf-109 or F6F hellcat or whatever, but they were just as devastating in the right hands.

Baron Manfred von Richthofen posted:

Everything in the air that is beneath me, especially if it is a one-seater . . . is lost, for it cannot shoot to the rear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhYaRX8plzU&t=60s

Requiem is flying an S.E.5a in that video, and that is a human pilot he's attacking in a multiplayer match too, not the AI.

The Fokker D.VII was so capable and respected/feared among the allies that it is the only aircraft specifically mentioned and singled out in the Armistice agreements requiring the Germans to surrender all surviving examples to the various allied nations (some of who added them to their own airforces). Richtofen was a lead adviser and test pilot in its development too, and praised its capabilities highly. Unfortunately for him, he died a few weeks before his unit was to receive some of the first Fokker D.VIIs to reach the front lines to replace their aging Dr.Is.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 7, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, unfortunately its kind of pricey. :(

If you wait, the DLC packs on steam are bound to hit 75% at one point during the big steam sales, and you don't need all of them.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 8, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, buying directly from 777 does give you more fine control over what you want and can be cheaper in that regard. I'd still advise waiting for a big steam sale if you want to buy a lot of stuff, last time RoF went on a big steam sale, 777 basically matched the general sale prices on their own website (though maybe not the steeper flash/daily prices).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, you yourself have yet to collide with anyone, I think.

I wonder who will be the first to pull a "Hartmann" though. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, if Endman wants, I can start doing profiles on the various planes similar to the ones you're doing in your LP.

Honestly if I knew anything about recording/editing video, I would've made a RoF LP myself, but Endman beat me to it. Just as well, I have a terrible nerdvoice. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Skins are .tga files, and unfortunately my attempts to make a custom skin never worked quite right:

This is the closest I got to it working, but the layering, especially weathering, wasn't working right for some reason, so it looks far to vibrant. The problems were mostly due to GIMP I think.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its intentionally that way: Galaga Galaxian. :v:

And there is a weathering layer in the thing, but I dunno, I am bad at photoshop Gimp. Anyways I don't wanna clog up the LP thread with this, you can see what I posted about it way back when in the RoF thread starting here.

There is actually plenty of skins for the game, especially if you download the official skinpack and Pat Wilson's collected skinpacks. The nice thing is the campaign system will even use some of them, especially Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator, which unlike the original campaign, actually populates the worlds with aces too:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 8, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

pixelbaron posted:

Did Patrick Wilson ever get artillery spotting and photo recon mission generation into his campaign generator?

I think he still hasn't got the artillery spotting missions working correctly and you basically just fly to the waypoint and loiter for a while. Not sure though, I haven't actually played RoF in a few months. :v:

And you're wrong about photo recon, even in 777's campaign system you just fly over the target area and click a camera button. What you describe would be really awesome though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh by the way Endman, for your take offs, do you push the stick forward at all? Getting your tail off the ground can help a lot with stabilizing the plane and building up speed for a fast take off. Careful not to smash the prop into the ground or nose over though.

[edit] Here is an example of what I mean, right after throttling, up I push the stick forward to force the nose down/tail up and get some speed. Lets you take off much faster. This was a poor take off too because I was doing it from external view and having trouble judging yaw correction.

Nieuport 11

Making its combat debut at the beginning of 1916, the Nieuport 11 Scout (fighter) was one of the Triple Entente's first dedicated combat aeroplanes and, alongside the British Airco DH.2, was vital in ending the period of German aerial supremacy known as the "Fokker Scourge". The Nieuport 11, nicknamed "Bébé", was a refined and armed version of the Nieuport 10, a general purpose plane originally designed as a race plane prior to the war. Compared to the Fokker Eindecker monoplane, the Nieuport had several advantages, including aileron control surfaces, a throttle control for the engine in addition to the blip switch, and an overall better engine. Its biggest advantage was its sesquiplane design.

A sesquiplane, is a bi-plane where the top wing is a normal, full sized wing, with two structural wing spars providing strength (like normal) while the lower wing pair are smaller, containing only a single structural wing spar. The result is a design with reduced drag that give the plane better speed, climbing performance, and a better downwards field of vision to the front. It does however have a significant weakness, as the lower wing cannot take as much stress or damage as the larger top wing. Many novice nieuport pilots would accidentally shear off their own lower wings by diving too steep or too fast or performing high-G maneuvers. Despite this weakness, the sesquiplane design would become standard for many aeroplanes on both sides of the conflict.

When the Nieuport was developed, the allies had yet to satisfactorily replicate the synchronization gear the Germans were using to allow a nose-mounted machinegun to safely fire through the propeller, so the French mounted a machinegun on the top wing firing above the propeller. Unfortunately, this meant the gun was less accurate (due to being well offset from the pilot's field of vision and gunsight) and it couldn't be belt-fed like the German Spanadu. Instead a magazine-fed Lewis gun was used, a gun that the pilot would have to manually reload after every 97 round magazine was depleted. As you can imagine reloading this weapon in the heat of combat was a bit of a tall task.

The Nieuport 11 served and was license built with all three of the Triple Entente (Russia, Britain, France) as well as several of their minor allies, such as Italy and France and severed in nearly every major front of the war. However, its place as the premier combat scout of the allies was brief, as within only a few months and improved version called the Nieuport 17 was beginning to reach the front lines. While France and Britain were quick to to relegate its use to just trainer duties, many of the others nations continued to use it for lack of better aircraft.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 9, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ah, ok, just checking. If you want some more take off advice, I wrote up a rather :spergin: post about how to do the full works of taking off, including manual engine management, checking weather, etc.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

People who can conquer its instability, however, find themselves harnessing that instability to pull seemingly impossible maneuvers.

I am not really one of those, however.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, German is the nation I'm most familiar with in terms of aircraft via Albatros and Pfalzes, but I will vote for Two Seaters so that even some goons that don't have sticks or lots of planes can join in the fun as gunners.

In which case the Bristol F2B might be the best choice, as its basically a two-seater fighter. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Bristol F.2 Fighter is quite possibly the best general-purpose two-seater of the entire war. She was often used in the same offensive roles typically assigned to a single seater Scout. It was so capable and popular that it remained in military service into the early 1930s, at least one is even known to have participated in the Spanish Civil war!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Felixstowe is kinda boring to be honest. :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Airco DH2 is a fine plane. I mean, c'mon, it has ailetons! The Fokker Eindecker doesn't even have those! And just like the Eindecker it has a nose mounted gun! And the pusher configuration makes it more stable for better shooting!

Sure neither of them have engine throttles, but judicious blipping is just as good!

Seriously though, its one of my favorite planes to go leisure flying in the game with. The view is just amazing with no wings or engine in front of you.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, if the Hanriot is the last one, at least they let us fufill our Willy Coppens fanboyism, Endman. :pilot::respek::pilot:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 10, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I wish there were parachutes available. That way you could bail out and shoot at enemy planes while slowly falling towards the ground.

And risk cowardly pilots jumping at the first sign if the enemy or a few small holes in their canvas?! I think not! These Aeroplanes are expensive you know!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ok now that I've finally watched the videos...

Another way you can differentiate the Alb D.III from D.II is that it copies the sesquiplane wings of the Nieuports, the lower wing is thinner/narrower and has only a single structural spar. Also, I know you're probably mostly just showing it off, but I'm usually not a big fan of upgunning most of the Scouts in this game. I mean sure the extrafirepower helps, but that is a lot of weight/drag to be adding to the plane and I usually don't think the firepower makes up for the performance hit.

Also (and I'm starting to feel like a nag, sorry :shobon:), the Albatros you forced down in the first video didn't land in the ocean, he landed in the flooded No Man's Land of Flanders. During the First Battle of Ypres, the devastated French and Belgian forces were in danger of being overrun by the Germans and British reinforcements wouldn't be available soon, so as a last ditch measure they opened flood gates of multiple canals and rivers in the low-lands and flooded the whole region :black101:, creating a boggy lagoon 1-2 miles wide that stretched several dozen miles and was upwards of 3-4 feet deep.

While this did halt the German advance, it also secured the flanks in that area and just helped promote Trench Warfare. :v:

And yeah, crashes in this game where you just end up smacking the ground and not exploding are the best. Explosions are pretty rare, really, though fires often start.

Have some plane :gibs:

My first ever crash landing, engine shot out over enemies lines, managed to glide across flooded no man's land and crashed just short of friendly lines after I stalled out trying to avoid some dead trees. I survived with only a brief hospital stay

The fatal end of my first RAF career. Got my Sopwith Pup into an unrecoverable flatspin at low altitude.

Not me (I think) but just a dead Alb D.3

The end of my most successful German Career to date, low-altitude mid-air collision with a Nieuport 17 (he can be seen in the background)

Also, can I request our next career be on the West Front map? The Channel map is beautiful, of course, but unfortunately it lacks the seasonal variety of the Western Front map. Fighting over snowy No Man's land is kind neat (its not very snowy though, thanks to the constant earth-churning artillery bombardments).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 11, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, I finally caught the bug again. Currently downloading a shitton of historical skins for usin PWCG. :smithicide:

I'm not even sure what kind of career I'll play!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, maybe I'll play in one of these Jasta I'm downloading skinpacks for. That is right, a skinpack for a single squadron, so PWCG emulate the fact WW1 pilots loved personalizing their planes. :stare:

Speaking of personalized planes, wonder how this guy felt 25 years later. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 12, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, its just kinda funny (if a bit sad) in hindsight. And yeah, German Camo is always fun, I really love those smooshed/lopsided hex patterns they used a lot in WW1.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Actually it wasn't too hard to edit in a custom skin using MS paint in that game.

Anyways, finished downloading all those skinpacks, the folder I put them in weighs in at 11.5 GB. My whole RoF folder is 28.8 :smithicide:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh yeah, I still got it. :smug:

One (you should really watch this one)
Two
Three (I usually avoid firing this far away, but the Nieuport was outrunning me)

That said, I nearly pulled a Hartmann on the first kill (seriously watch the webm). Much like Bubi, I am not a great shot, so I get so close I can't help but hit. :v:

The excessive HDR Bloom in this game bugs me sometimes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Lazy Looping Jasta Kites (if we're German)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Splode posted:

Hartmann's Bane

Bubi was born in 1922. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, I just spent the last few hours trying to get the individual skins to work in PWCG. Its not really going well, I would recommend not bothering with it. Its kinda cool, but :effort:.

So basically I downloaded a shitton of skins for nothing. Good thing I don't have bandwidth caps. :doh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh boy. As much as I like it as a pleasure flyer, I've never used thr DH2 in combat much.

I'll have to brush up a bit, if we're doung coop flights sometime.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah the Eindecker has a terrible roll rate because it has no ailerons. It uses wing warping instead, where a complex wire/pulley system bends the shape of the wings to create roll.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Reporting for duty. :pilot:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh, I didn't quite realize you meant now. Fortunately I just got home a little bit ago. Be there soon.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Never surrender! :black101:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 13, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I could've streamed, sorry I didn't think about it. :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Endman posted:

That... might actually be a good idea since I think I hosed up the audio recording and every time I "speak" the audio goes all wonky. My bad. :ohdear:

Welp. :v:

Here is how the Baloon attack went from my perspective:

Sadly a single strafing pass (which ended in a crash when I stalled after dodging the balloon cables), 40 bullets from my Luger, and basically all my flares were not enough to destroy the drat gasbag.

Not pictured: Me shooting down a Fokker Eindecker (and bumping its tail with my nose?). I was actually given credit for two eindeckers, so the first one that Endman and I engaged (which fled) must've lost its engine on the way home.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Assuming we start up again, I'll stream. Quality won't be that great though. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I am now streaming as well as a test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Unfortunately Endman is running into technical difficulties with PWCG and making a coop mission.

• Locked thread