Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The level of naruto ignorance (narutignorance) displayed by the LPers in this thread is loving atrocious, I don't even know how you two get to sleep at night when you are so constantly wrong about anime :colbert:

More seriously though I find it interesting that the creators of this game very clearly expect anyone who plays it to already be familiar with the Naruto storyline because they sure as hell aren't going out of their way to explain, well anything really :v:
I wonder if that was an accurate assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ChorpSaway posted:

Tobi
Rest in loving pieces.

Heh heh hehehe ahahahahaha :cawg:

Oh if only.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

U.T. Raptor posted:

I still have no idea what the gently caress the point of Goofy Tobi even was, in retrospect.

Its a ruse. He's deliberately acting like a retarded puppy so that the rest of the Akatsuki don't realise that he's puppeting the apparent 'leader' while being puppeted by the puppet of the person who is really in charge.

Yeah this story is stupid.

Also talk about a sudden ending for Deidara, his final move (called C0 :v:) gets a lot more attention in the story. When he activates it he tears his shirt off entirely to reveal a fourth mouth on his chest over his heart, he feeds that a bunch of his explodey clay and then his flesh turns transparent while his veins turn black and the mouth in his chest turns into a chain chomp. Then he explodes after monologuing for most of the episode.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 2, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Pyrotoad posted:

Christ I've kept up with Naruto for way too long, I still remember when everyone insisted that the leader of the Akatsuki was totally Naruto's dad. Also I miss this Tobi, he was kinda refreshing. Like he knew what a ridiculous series he was in and he decided to roll with it.

This version of Tobi is even more hilarious in light of who he turns out to be.

Though I don't think this game covers that part of the story so viewers may never know Tobi as anything else.

Montegoraon posted:

Bizarre. His body turns transparent, except for his eyes, mouth and hair... and you can see the satchel he's wearing through his body, but not his hair. Then again, you can often see people's eyes through their hair in anime, so it's just weird that way, I guess.

Up until the Akatsuki most of the canon stuff in Naruto is fairly tame, some of the filler arcs in the anime got a bit weird but generally nothing objectively 'what the gently caress' happens.

This changes, beginning with the Akatsuki the powers start becoming larger and more absurd by an entire order of magnitude. We've already seen a bit of that with the two immortals, Deidara and the puppet guy but it still gets bigger.

E: By the way, Hidan is canonically the only truly immortal character in the entire story. Yes he is in fact 100% genuinely immortal, he's still alive in that hole and he will be until he breaks one of the tenants of his religion which he obviously can't do while cut up and buried in a hole. So he's just going to be down there forever. Multiple other characters have 'gain immortality' as pretty much their entire driving motivation but we will never hear anything about Hidan and the fact that he achieved immortality ever again. It's implied this is because Hidan's immortality only works on people who genuinely believe, which excludes pretty much everyone except Hidan.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 3, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ChorpSaway posted:

It definitely covers a part of it, so if y'all could cool it a bit with these partial spoilers and hintings, that'd be great, thanks!

Whoops my apologies then, I thought this one ended after the fight shown at the start. I shall shut up about future things then.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

The Steak Justice posted:

I mean at least Tobi has some buildup in the manga. Like, Deidara comments that he's impressed that Tobi was able to take down the roaming 3-tailed-(I think crab or something) with a single technique, but we don't see what it is yet and are left just having to accept that it happened.

I think the Anime actually fleshes out the hunt to cover an entire mini-arc and we get to see multiple episodes of Tobi acting like a complete idiot while manhandling everyone that gets in his way.

Also Sasuke survives the explosion by summoning Orochimaru's giant snake around him, sacrificing it for his own selfish needs. I don't think a summoning technique can just be used to teleport the user wherever, but it would cost money to model the giant snake or something.

sirtommygunn posted:

^^To be fair that snake was a massive rear end in a top hat that had already threatened to kill Sasuke if he was ever summoned again IIRC.

Manda hates Sasuke with a vengeance, so how the hell Sasuke managed to make a summoning contract with the snakes in the first place when their boss (but not their leader, their leader is a big white snake who appears mostly ambivalent towards Sasuke) hates him I don't know.

This game's story mode is poo poo is what I'm saying. It fails to do Naruto, a garbage manga, justice, which is impressive if it weren't so stupid.

Yeah it's pretty obvious they expect that anyone who is playing this game is familiar with the Naruto story which is a really odd decision all things considered.

You must not be remembering the Sound Four (really five (actually 6 if you think about it)) if you think there weren't absurd powers before Shippudden.

The Sound Four who were actually Six were pretty weird but they have absolutely nothing on the powers that start showing up during the later arcs of Shippuden, especially powers related to goddamn magic eyeballs.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

DoublePLayer posted:

Actually the author said in an artbook or something that Hidan needs to make sacrifices once in a while in order to maintain his immortality. So while he will stay in the hole alive for a while, he will eventually die. I don't think the author said when will that be.

Must be awhile because he's definitely still alive later. It doesn't really matter though because he and his batshit religion never come up ever again.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Good ole Itachi; the original overpowered magic eyeball user and still the best.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

sirtommygunn posted:

Genjutsu are just illusion magic and can actually be used by anybody but they really only work for magic eyeball people against non-magic eyeball people.

Pretty much, almost anyone who doesn't have magic eyes can only create illusions that can be ignored or suppressed with minor effort and only really work if the target doesn't realize illusions are happening which is why it's generally regarded as the weakest of the three ninja disciplines. There are a couple of exceptions but they're few and far between and I don't think we'll see any of them in this game.

That said, the people with magic eyes can do some totally completely and utterly bullshit overpowered things with Genjutsu, hopefully we'll get to see Izanagi being a thing but even if not Itachi and Sasuke are still going to demonstrate all kinds of nonsense magic eyeball powers.

e: Also note about Suigetsu; he doesn't turn into water he just is water. His entire body is composed of water and his 'thing' is basically being totally unkillable as a result. Outside of the games normal physical attacks have no impact on him and just pass harmlessly through his water body and even chakra attacks have substantially reduced effects.

It is hinted that making him evaporate would kill him, but anything short of that he'll bounce back from especially if he has access to a water source. Despite this he is super paranoid about dying and typically tries to avoid combat where possible.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 9, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Waffleman_ posted:

Rock Lee is too good for your ninja magic bullshit.

Supposedly the chakra gates are a thing anyone can use but afaik nobody other than Might Guy and Rock Lee ever actually use any of them at all. I'm 90% sure that they are actually some kind of secret ninja magic and Guy is just bullshitting everyone when he claims that he can throw flaming tiger punches with nothing more than air pressure.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Kisame is totally a shark person though. I don't think that ever gets explained either he's just half shark half man.
Given that the Akatsuki are all renegades its presumably the result of some forbidden ninja magic he stole from the Hidden Mist when he left.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

dancingbears posted:

That's Kakuzu - He stole his immortality-stitching from Waterfall when he left. Kisame probably has a ninja blood limit and is descended from shark people.

You're right, he stole his 'sword' rather than any techniques from the Hidden Mist when he went rogue. A flashback to the past reveals young Kisame was also a shark person so yeah he's either descended from shark people or is the result of an experiment to make shark people.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I guess the Hidden Mist village just has shark people.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

FutureFriend posted:

"this sounds like terrible advice" i say in the thread about popular anime naruto

That's how you know that it's actually really good advice.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Heh I nearly forgot about the Madara thing.

I always find Sasuke funny as he is basically a damsel in distress; his entire character arc really only exists so Naruto can have a reason to chase after him and try to save him. If he was a woman it would be unbelievably sexist, but instead he's this over the top bad boy with magic Uchiha eyes so he ends up being this really unbalanced combination of overpowered as all hell while at the same time being completely loving useless.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Shadow225 posted:

I wasn't really a fan of the whole Itatchi turn. I'm curious how much of this the author had planned in the beginning. It feels like he saw the popularity of Itatchi, and wanted a way to make him a good guy after all so the fans wouldn't feel conflicted about liking him. Then an IMMORTAL FOUNDER man shows up and eventually does some really dumb stuff. It all seems like a cop out to me.

Yeah it was around about this part of the story when all the Naruto fans realized that Kishimoto has a giant hard-on for the Uchiha clan and that the key to victory in the Naruto universe was to have magic eyeballs. A lot of people didn't realize just how far the magic eyeball powers were going to go crazy until this and then it began dawning on everyone that this was only the beginning.

FractalSandwich posted:

Man, Itachi is really hogging the mythology. Susano-o killing the Yamata-no-Orochi? 100% classic Shinto. Sure, great. Leave it at that and it's fine. But all that poo poo about illusions and reality, that's Buddhist! Quit bogarting all the religions, man. Leave some for everyone else.

Dude you ain't seen poo poo yet, the Uchiha have everything. Itachi's Susanoo wields the Yata Mirror in its left hand; a special shield that nullifies any attack that strikes it. In its right hand it wields the Sakegari no Tachi or Sake Cutter Longword, anyone who is cut buy the boozeblade is sucked into the bottle and trapped forever in a world of drunken dreams. A character outright states that this combination of weapons makes Itachi's Susanoo invincible. Wait till you fukken see what the other Susanoo's do.

e: Also Itachi should be the hardest fight in the game; he's the only character in the entire story who never unintentionally loses a fight. I'm also saddened that they skipped the genjutsu fight that they have in the Anime because that is so entertainingly dumb.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 16, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

U.T. Raptor posted:

Honestly Itachi acted really weird in his first appearance (fighting in a pretty half-assed way, bolting at the first sign of serious resistance, etc). Even before this part happened I thought something strange was going on.

Yeah Itachi has been dying for awhile now, he's also three quarters blind from using his magic eyeball powers and he still defeats Sasuke. They skipped over it in the game but half the reason Itachi even has this fight with Sasuke is because Itachi knows Orochimaru isn't dead and is hiding in Sasuke's body and Itachi wants to draw Orochimaru out and seal him to save his little brother.

In case you haven't noticed yet; Orochimaru is probably the second hardest person to kill in the entire series (the hardest being Hidan) and he is pretty much just a hairs breadth away from total immortality. Now hes trapped inside Itachi's boozeblade having drunken dreams forever but we'll see if that stops him or not.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah Kishimoto claims that all the major plot points were worked out before he even started the series. He wasn't 100% sure how each would be resolved but this part of the backstory was definitely set in stone right from the start. It's a reveal, not a retcon.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm glad Sasuke Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 is over.

Don't worry Sasuke becomes relevant again later in Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 and 4.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Count Bleck posted:

We're going to cover those, aren't we?

This brings me great despair.

At least Naruto as a character isn't a walking talking bag of edge waiting to break and spew edge-laced edgeblood all over the edge.

What I'm saying is that anybody with Uchiha as their last name is far too edgy for this manga's/anime's/game's own drat good.

If it makes you feel any better Sasuke does eventually lighten up, it takes like six separate story arcs at least two of which are almost entirely about Naruto trying to get Sasuke to lighten up but it does happen in the end thanks to a hilariously improbable sequence of events and technically Naruto's help although honestly the important part has nothing to do with Naruto so good work there title character I guess :shrug:

What I'm trying to say is Sasuke is a fucker.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TwoPair posted:

The entire 20 minute cutscene was worth it for the outbursts of laughter at the dual fireball scene and Tobi/Madara's return. So much hilarious out of nowhere poo poo in that fight. Orochi-horcrux has to be the best. Also I'm sure it's just something the game glossed over that's actually explained in the anime but I love how Sasuke just suddenly has a giant lightning spirit to attack Cake Castle with no explanation.

Yeah in the anime Itachi sets like an entire square kilometer of forest on fire with Amaterasu (the black flames that burn everything and cannot be put out) which causes a bunch of hot air to rise, creating a storm system that Sasuke then spends awhile carefully positioning himself to take advantage of.

TwoPair posted:

Also why the hell were Sasuke's eyes ninja stars? I know this game doesn't explain itself a lot but seeing as how that is not a pattern that was in either his or Itachi's eyes, that seems like something that should be addressed.

That is Sasuke's Mangekyo Sharingan. Itachi dying in front of Sasuke while also giving Sasuke his power (his 'eyes') awakened Sasuke's Mangekyo Sharingan; the second level of Sharingan. Mangekyo Sharingan is where all the crazy stupid insane magic eye powers start to happen: the black fires of Amaterasu, the inescapable illusions of Tsukuyomi (which I don't think appeared in this game) and manifesting a Susanoo are three Mangekyo Sharingan powers that Itachi had learned to control.

Every Mangekyo Sharingan user has two unique powers; one tied to his left eye and one tied to his right and it varies from user to user. Sasuke has inherited his brothers Amaterasu in his left eye and later on with his right eye he will learn his own unique technique called Kagutsuchi which lets him shape and manipulate the flames of Amaterasu to make walls and stuff. Someone with two Mangekyo Sharingan can also manifest Susanoo, though the precise nature of the Susanoo varies from user to user; Sasuke's one is quite different from Itachi's for example though we won't get to see him use it in this game.

In addition to the unique powers awakening a Mangekyo Sharingan also makes all the normal Sharingan stuff (super eyesight, increased chakra power\control etc etc) more powerful. Each Mangekyo Sharingan has a unique look but there are certain 'patterns' that indicate certain powers; later in the story Madara comments that Sasuke's 'straight tomoe' means he has superior movement reading capabilities, so presumably the tomoe (pattern) of the Sharingan tells something about what it is capable of.

Finally, the Mangekyo Sharingan degrades over time with use causing the owner to slowly go blind, lose their health and die. This is what was killing Itachi. The only way to cure this is to take a close blood relative's eyes (a brother or sister) after they have also awakened a Mangekyo Sharingan and merge them with your own, creating an Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan which grants wtfbbqsuperawesome magic eyeball powers and potentially immortality.

Remember also that in order to awaken a Mangekyo Sharingan in the first place you need to suffer trauma from witnessing the death of someone you care about deeply; preferably you want to kill them yourself. So in order to get a single Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan you need to have two Uchiha brothers\sisters each murder their best friend and then have one kill the other and take their eyes. :psyduck:
Up until the reveal that Itachi was a good guy all along it was implied that this is why Itachi let Sasuke live; Itachi was waiting for Sasuke to awaken his Mangekyo Sharingan so that Itachi could then take Sasuke's eyes and gain an Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan. Ironically the inverse is actually true; Itachi planned to give his eyes to Sasuke so Sasuke could have the Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan, but Sasuke doesn't know wtf is going on so he didn't take Itachi's eyes. I do hope some improbable sequence of events that allows Sasuke to get another chance to get Itachi's eyes just happens to occur for a totally unrelated reason some time in the future.

dancingbears posted:

I'm pretty sure no two mangekyo sharingan look the same. Sasuke's are pretty stupid looking, but I think Kakashi/Obito's eye wins for dumbest super eye.

Yeah every one is different, unlike normal Sharingan where they're all the same.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 17, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Sorry, I didn't think anything I had said was really much of a spoiler. Is that better?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gantolandon posted:

This is basically Naruto.txt.

Yeah, when Ninja get really serious about trying to kill each other you have to start redrawing the maps. I am not being facetious; a serious fight between high level ninjas typically rearranges geography rather significantly.

An example of this is the forest surrounding Konoha, yeah you know that big seemingly endless forest? That didn't exist until the First Hokage made it. He made an entire goddamn forest that covers something like half the country just so he could hide a ninja village in it.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 18, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JackNapier posted:

If I remember correctly, that valley that Sasuke and Naruto fought in, was a forest once, a big one. The First Hokage had a fight there with Madara Uchiha and they literally fought that huge loving canyon into existence with jutsu and crazy eye magic
Edit: Spoilered that just incase

Yup, the Valley of the End is another one. I think the Anime even has a flashback later on where we get to see them fight the canyon into existence. I don't know if its been explained how that happened by this point in the story but Madara showed up with the Nine Tailed Fox because he was upset that Hashirama (First Hokage) had built Konoha and so he figured he'd take the Nine Tailed Fox and burn Konoha to the ground. Hashirama wasn't on board with this and the two met in combat on the border of the Land of Fire and the Land of Sound, a combat that Hashirama won thanks to the fact that he had wood magic and wood magic > tailed beasts.

Waffleman_ posted:

It didn't really work because a lot of people seem to loving know where it is.

Actually the vast majority of the inhabitants of the Land of Fire have no clue where Konoha is. The Naruto story pretty much concerns ninjas exclusively and by this point it concerns only high level ninjas with incredible amounts of power. You basically end up with the story only ever showing us the top 5 - 10% most skilled\powerful people in the world and never mentioning the other 90% who spend their lives farming rice and generally being unobtrusive.

Normal people can't even use Chakra.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 18, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TwoPair posted:

I suppose. My personal belief is that pretty much everyone in Naruto-land knows where the village is but 99% of the population just stays the gently caress away because of all the bullshit that goes on around there. It's like Gotham City in Batman: sure you could go visit, but why take the risk?

The fact that Chakra is a rare ability only a small percentage of the population (almost exclusively Ninjas with only a few exceptions) is a minor plot point mentioned right near the start of the story that is promptly never mentioned again until right at the end when it suddenly is of major importance to the story.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah the Naruto story is basically a runaway train and it ends exactly how you'd expect. Kishimoto really went overboard with the man behind the man behind the man behind the man behind the man.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Doopliss posted:

From abandoning the anime around the beginning of Shippuden (this being my only other exposure), the impression I get is that the Uchiha were a bunch of power-hungry assholes, and insofar as they're considered a nuisance it's because of the power-hungry assholery. Madara ragequit because they refused to give him the single highest office in the village, and given Sasuke's "Uchiha pride" you get the idea that they're really just highly-offended that they're not in charge.

No that's pretty much accurate; the only genuinely good Uchiha who appears in the story is Itachi. Literally every other Uchiha we see is either a whining man-child like Sasuke or trying take over the world like Madara. And Itachi of course spends like three quarters of the story looking like a bad guy just to muddy the waters further.

Ninjas loving poo poo up is a running theme of the story though and is why Naruto is so important because he's one of the only people who can get Ninjas to actually work together in good faith instead of constantly trying to find a way to dick each other over which is what happens normally.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Sasuke is briefly relevant in Storm 3 but the part of the story where he becomes a major player again won't happen until Storm 4 or maybe even 5.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Ometeotl posted:

What about Itachi's friend who was said to have killed himself but I think was actually murdered by Danzo? Shisui, I think it was?

Oh yeah he was a good Uchiha too, forgot about him since he's dead by the time the story starts and doesn't get very much attention\have much importance to the overall story. Unlike some dead characters (Orochimaruuuuuu)

Alright, so Itachi and his best friend are the only two good Uchihas to appear in the story.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Onmi posted:

EDIT: and this is why Rock Lee and Might Guy are the best characters, their combat style is "Kick you in the face" and "Kick you in the face fancier and harder!"

You clearly havn't seen Night Guy.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 19, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Onmi posted:

Fancier and Harder!

You just keep telling yourself that.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Second Hokage did not do very well at all but coming up with that particular technique was definitely his biggest fuckup.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

U.T. Raptor posted:

Konan is unironically the best female character in the series :colbert:

Considering how this series typically treats women that isn't saying much.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Sexy Jutsu actually becomes plot relevant later on in one of the best scenes in the entire story.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Hearing some people being fuckin' wrong about Rasengan in this video :colbert:

Time for another Naruto Effortpost :goonsay:

So the Rasengan is the ultimate form of Chakra Shape Manipulation; the absolute pinnacle of that school of Chakra usage. What the gently caress does that mean?

Well Chakra is basically life energy; everyone has a bit. But Ninjas and almost all other characters who appear in the story (but only a tiny fraction of the actual total world population) have extra Chakra and can control that Chakra. Ninjas can use their Chakra to do things without worrying about just up and dying and furthermore their Chakra regenerates quite quickly and can grow in size with training allowing a single Ninja to possess the same amount of Chakra as thousands or even millions of normal humans.

What do they do with the Chakra? Well mostly they use it for spells, or as they call them techniques or 'Jutsu'. The way they use the Chakra is by manipulating its Shape and Nature, Shape is exactly what it sounds like and is literally the art of making your Chakra move around to different parts of your body, sending it into objects you are holding or even hurling it through the air itself. Shape Manipulation techniques are also the basic techniques for hand to hand combat, walking on water, running up walls and other similar feats and are achieved by moving your Chakra to the desired location and then shaping it to strengthen your body, stick your feet to a surface or increase the solidity of water.

The Rasengan is basically a hurricane of Chakra; it looks like just a single spinning ball but it actually has multiple layers which are all intertwining and swirling around each other at incredible speeds, furthermore the Rasengan is incredibly dense, so dense that even normal humans can see the Chakra which is why it appears as a solid object rather than a sort of ephemeral haze or cloud like normal Chakra. It can basically be thought of as taking your Chakra and shaping it into a blender and the technique was initially invented by the Fourth Hokage Minato Namikaze. Jiraya actually explains all this to Naruto when he first teaches Naruto the technique.

The other thing Jiraya mentions is that the technique is incomplete; Minato wanted to add Nature Manipulation to the Rasengan but he died before he was able to work out how. Despite its incredible power the Rasengan is only half of a proper Jutsu.

So what is Nature Manipulation? Well Chakra in the Narutoverse comes with an elemental alignment; its Nature. Chakra Nature broadly falls into one of five elemental alignments; Fire, Wind, Lightning, Earth and Water and each element has a circular balance being weak against the one behind it and strong against the one in front of it; Fire beats Wind which beats Lightning which beats Earth which beats Water which beats Fire.
However it's not quite that simple because people typically have more than one Chakra Nature! Everyone has a primary Nature; Naruto's is Wind and Sasuke's is Fire for example. But most people also have a secondary Nature and some even have a third one! For most people this means that with practice they can be really good at Jutsu using their primary nature and pretty good at ones with their secondary, but some people can potentially have up to all five Chakra Natures, these people are typically scary powerful. Kakashi is an example of someone with all five Natures which is why he is able to copy any single Nature technique.

Yeah you heard me I said single Nature techniques; some rare people have what basically amounts to a primary affinity for two or more Chakra Natures, these people can potentially learn to combine their multiple Natures together to create an entirely new amalgamated Chakra Nature. These combined Natures are extremely powerful and are typically jealously guarded by those who wield them, as Chakra can be inherited genetically many of the known combined Natures are 'Kekkei Genkai' or 'Bloodline Limit' and are the focus around which a family of specialists who use the technique grows. The term is also used to mean that they combine two different Chakra Natures together; Haku from the original series is an example as he used the Ice Chakra Nature which was made by mixing Water and Wind. Even rarer than Bloodline Limits are 'Kekkei Tōta' or 'Bloodline Selection' powers which involve mixing three different Nature transformations. Only one kind of tri-combination Nature is ever shown in the story and we haven't met them yet so there's no example here.

So back to the Rasengan; the Rasengan requires intense concentration and skill to be able to produce the really complicated Shape Manipulation, adding Nature Manipulation into that makes the entire thing exponentially harder as Nature Manipulation is notably more difficult than Shape Manipulation which is why it is taught later. Naruto ended up making about a hundred clones of himself and working basically 24/7 for months before he was able to combine the two and imbue his Wind Chakra into the Rasengan. To use an analogy the normal Rasengan is a hurricane, the Rasenshuriken is taking that hurricane and transforming the rain into razorblades. Wind Chakra is mostly about forming blades and sharpening edges which is why when imbued into the Rasengan it transforms it into a storm of microscopic blades that literally kill every single cell in your entire body if it hits you.

If Naruto had a different Nature the resulting Rasengan would be different, it is also worth noting that by successfully creating the Rasenshuriken Naruto has basically invented one of the most powerful direct attack spells in the entire Naruto universe and only a small handful of people, most of whom are cheating, can deal with it and almost no-one can actually survive a hit from it.

Finally in ending I should mention that Chakra Natures are not limited to just the Elemental transformations, there is also the Yin and Yang transformation with Yin being the basis of imagination and spiritual energy and Yang the basis of vitality and physical energy. Yin and Yang Nature Transformation is the source of non-elemental techniques like Shikamaru's shadow techniques, Chouji's size changing techniques, medical ninjitsu and genjutsu. Yin and Yang Chakra is also what Naruto's Shadow Clone Technique uses and what the Nine Tailed Fox has absolute poo poo-tons of which is why he can make so many without dying horribly.

:goonsay:

Neruz fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 30, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh yeah all this 'Jutsu' nonsense is complete crap. 'Ninjitsu' includes things like walking up walls, running silently at full speed, vanishing in shadows and maybe some short range teleportation or 'blinking', Ninjitsu does not loving include breathing fireballs or creating trees or summoning the god of death. :colbert:

Replacing 'Ninja' with 'Wizard', 'Technique' with 'Spell' and 'Chakra' with 'Mana' makes everything much easier to process.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

sirtommygunn posted:

Good effort post but I just want to expand on this bit. We've seen that just about everybody in this series has some kind of "clone" (water, wood, acid) ability, but for some reason the one that Naruto uses (shadow) is the only forbidden one and also uses way more mana to use, even though it seems way shittier because it has only 1 hp. So why exactly is Naruto's secretly the best? Shadow clones are special in that they aren't just constructs like other clone spells, they are capable of independent thought and when they are destroyed all the information they gathered is given to the original. This means a couple things: first, Naruto is the single trickiest motherfucker in the entire show because he is one step removed from a hive mind. Second, Naruto can go full Hyperbolic Time Chamber by just brute force learning stuff with his army of shadow clones.

Skyfinder posted:

I think it's also considered a forbidden technique because, and I admit this is more a vague reading, the series seems to imply that this is the only clone technique that can be lethal to the user through use.

Oh so now you want an effortpost about clones huh? :colbert:

Clone techniques are one of the few kinds of ninjitsu that actually look like fuckin ninjitsu; ninjas making clones of themselves or tricking others into thinking they have is a long standing thing. The basic clone technique is pretty much just taking your Chakra and shaping it into a copy of yourself, thus basic clones are mindless and must be directly and purposely controlled by the creator or they just stand there dumbly; you see this right at the start of the original series in Episode 1 wherin Naruto fails hilariously at Clones. The most common user of clones in the series is Kakashi; one of his signature moves is to create a clone of himself out of a small tree stump which reverts back upon being struck.

Additionally as I mentioned the Clone technique is primarily a Shape Manipulation and yes you can totally combine it with a Nature Manipulation; Kakashi again loves to do this and his favorite is to make a Lightning Clone which then electrocutes the poo poo out of whoever stabs it. The one common factor across all Clone techniques is that if the clone takes any damage at all it vanishes in a poof of smoke.

There is however another kind of clone; the Shadow Clone. Shadow Clones are made by pure Yin\Yang Transformation and basic Shape Manipulation and are unique in that they are a complete and total copy of yourself. Whenever you create a Shadow Clone your Chakra is immediately divided equally amongst yourself and the clones; this means a few things.
Shadow Clones can inflict serious damage; one Shadow Clone has half your power and can actually cast spells using that Chakra unlike normal clones which cannot. This also makes them very hard to tell apart from the original as they have the same Chakra.
Shadow Clones are independent entities and copies of your mind; they are not puppets. This means Shadow Clones can think, move and act on their own so long as they do not take damage.
Shadow Clones are solid, they are flesh and bone not Chakra masquerading as such and are thus quite a bit tougher than normal clones.
Finally and most importantly; when a Shadow Clone is destroyed the remaining Chakra instantly returns to the original along with the Clone's memories and experiences. Combined with the ability to act on their own this makes Shadow Clones excellent for scouting as even if discovered and destroyed the user still knows all the Clone saw and did. Canny Ninjas (like Kakashi :v:) often use Shadow Clones at the start of a fight to help them get an idea of what their opponent is capable of.

The normal Shadow Clone Technique only allows the creation of 1 Shadow Clone, splitting Chakra 50/50. Anyone is allowed learn and use this technique but because of the Chakra splitting and because the unique things about Shadow Clones aren't widely known most Ninjas erroneously consider the technique to be a waste of time. However there is another form of the technique; the Multiple Shadow Clone Technique.

Now at this point it's worth mentioning that only Konoha ninjas are ever shown using the Shadow Clone technique in the mango which suggests that it was invented by a Konoha ninja, this is further supported by the fact that the Multiple Shadow Clone Technique is stored on Konoha's 'Scroll of Seals' a huge-rear end scroll containing tons of forbidden techniques gathered by the First Hokage including the technique used to seal the Nine Tails in Naruto and the Shadow Clone\Multi Shadow Clone techniques.

Unlike the Shadow Clone Technique the Multiple Shadow Clone Technique is considered a Forbidden Technique, the reason is that it allows the user to create literally as many Shadow Clones as they want. I'm not kidding; Naruto creates thousands of Shadow Clones, sometimes even hundreds of thousands in a few battles. Remember how the Shadow Clones split Chakra evenly between them and you kind of need a minimum amount of Chakra to be alive? Yeah if you are a normal person and you try to make too many clones (most people can handle up to about 3 or 4) then your Chakra can totally dip below the amount needed for you to be alive and you just fuckin die right there and then. Good job!

As mentioned though Shadow Clones are almost pure Yin\Yang transformation and the Nine Tails is basically a mountain of Yin\Yang Chakra so Naruto can just spam Shadow Clones all day erry day and have nothing to worry about. The only other character who ever uses Multiple Shadow Clones is; you guessed it Kakashi. He likes to use the technique to make 2 - 3 clones but remarks that if he tried for much more it would go very badly for him.

Naruto eventually becomes something of a Shadow Clone maestro and is able to accurately summon Shadow Clones in specific locations and stances to allow him to perform a number of really amusing attacks; you've seen him do this a number of times in the game where he'll create a bunch of clones and form them into a whip which then slams down on the enemy. Naruto also likes to use Shadow Clones to give himself some air mobility; summoning them next to him while he is falling and having them push him out of the way of an attack proves to be a life saver many times. Once he learns about the experience transferring thing Naruto also uses the Shadow Clones to train like a motherfucker though it is worth noting that he has in fact been doing that for the entire story as most fights involving Naruto are basically him creating Shadow Clones a bunch until he suddenly launches a surprise attack thanks to now being super familiar with all the enemy's moves. It is mostly important for the development of the Rasenshuriken however as Naruto was basically able to cram a decade or two worth of training over the course of a month by just summoning a ton of clones and training in parallel. This particular capability means Naruto could potentially have literally thousands of years of experience by the time he is an old man.

There is also an upcoming development in the story that should appear in a few episodes where Naruto figures out another really useful trick using Shadow Clones, and indeed he will continue using Shadow Clones to great success throughout the entire story.

Shadow Clones being able to manipulate Chakra is also why Naruto uses one to form the Rasengan or two to form the Rasenshuriken; one Naruto holds the Rasenwhatever and pours the Chakra in, the second then shapes the Chakra into the swirling stormball and the third adds the Wind Nature for the Rasenshuriken. It's worth noting that by Shippuden Naruto is totally capable of forming a normal Rasengan on his own with just one hand but he is a lazy fucker and its easier to do it with a clone so he almost always uses a clone anyway.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 31, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

FutureFriend posted:

my forbidden technique is making really long bad posts about naruto lore

While powerful the technique has an elemental weakness towards not giving a poo poo :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gantolandon posted:

Is he? As far as I remember, he was never able to do the Rasengan the proper way and the has to do the kneading move with both hands, meaning that he has to use the Shadow Clone. Given that he can spawn them in copious amounts, he never bothered to learn normal Rasengan.

He uses the Rasengan one-handed a few times in Shippuden and Kishimoto has said that he can do it now he is just lazy and doing it with a clone is easier. Thanks to how skilled he is at Shadow Clones doing it with a clone isn't even really a disadvantage either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Cut out all of the mechanical cruft and fuckin eye magic and Naruto becomes less bullshit.
Not good, but less bullshit.

Removing magic eyes either doesn't really change anything or completely and fundamentally changes everything, I can't say more because spoilers but magical eyes are an intrinsic part of the setting's backstory foundations.

• Locked thread