Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
R.E.M. rocks and even if you disagree, they're a pretty weird band to get your hackles raised over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

redshirt posted:

REM stole their sound, FYI, from The Byrds. And The Feelies.

i think that's just called having influences redshirt

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

redshirt posted:

Is it
Fables of the Reconstruction
or
Reconstruction of the Fables?

Also, their most underrated album.

Note: I stopped listening to REM with Monster.

you're missing out, they've got some good songs post-monster

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Dandywalken posted:

I had a teacher in 10th grade who kept harping on about some U2 vs REM rivalry or some poo poo that nobody knew existed, and in retrospect was just him being a sperg.

Was this a thing? Were they rivals or some poo poo?

i've never heard of this, and i've heard of the morrissey/robert smith rivalry

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

redshirt posted:

U2 v REM was a real but imaginary tension existing circa 1992 or so, replacing the tension between the USA and USSR.

Each band was "alternate" and broke into mainstream prominence during this time.

i bet michael stipe could beat bono in a fight even though mike looks like an AIDS victim

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

zVxTeflon posted:

REM is good and U2 is loving godawful so the rivalry is prob all U2s terrible fans doing

i like R.E.M. a lot and U2 a little so i don't think that's entirely right

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

zVxTeflon posted:

Liking U2 "a little" means liking Sunday bloody sunday and that Batman forever song (the only 2 good songs they have)

no i like a few of their songs. i've never really gotten into them so maybe i'd like more of them if i listened to them

paranoid randroid posted:

tbf rem has been doing their level damndest to be terrible since like 1997

surely you exaggerate. they only had one terrible album and even that had a good song on it

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
i never got the hate for shiny happy people, especially from the band itself. it's got a nice little tune that borders on being irritating without actually crossing the line, and the lyrics are obviously supposed to be ironic. i think it's a funny song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Myron Baloney posted:

Stipe agreed with Space Ghost that they hated it. To avoid bad REM just only listen to Document or earlier except for Automatic.

i don't know man that seems unnecessarily limiting. people are too persnickety, if you ask me

• Locked thread