Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova HP: 29/29 | ER: 30 > 38

Main Theme | Combat Theme

"Asking me to prove a negative already? You must have a high opinion of my abilities." Sofia stands on the bridge, considering how the stream flows around the stones placed within it. She turns the collar of her overcoat up against the chilly wind. "If my word does not suffice, I cannot think of any evidence I can present that would be more convincing than my actions. This is complicated by the fact that my disagreement with my former associates has less to do with their goals than their methods."

Sofia walks down the bridge, trailing one gloved finger in the snow on the railing. She raises it after a moment, rubbing index finger and thumb together as she inspects it. "You should purchase generators and store them - both for personal use and for resale on the grey market. The demand for them will likely increase soon."

[23:54] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 8 = 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova HP: 29/29 | ER: 38

"I am open to the possibility, but keep in mind while I am willing to work in legal grey areas I will not support activities that would harm or put at grave risk others simply for the sake of convenience." Sofia keeps walking across the bridge. She should have enough time to complete a circuit of the park and return approximately when Kashima's associate arrives. "As we were just discussing, vis a vis my former employers."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 12, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"I had assumed that went without saying. I will not make such an assumption in the future."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia watches her guide arrive, noting the aggressive deceleration. She doesn't flinch even as Mitsue pulls up close.

"Just so." She bows slightly. "I am Sofia Liu-Vostrokova, known as Catalyst. Nice to meet you." She walks over to the bike. "Chimera? I would assume that or Black Dog biomechanical enhancement, given the stresses you put on your foot without apparent damage."

"We should begin immediately. I wish to get ahead of events if possible."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova HP: 29/29 | ER: 38->42

Sofia accepts the spare helmet and begins strapping it on. "It will suffice. My precise destinations are uncertain. Certain apparently unrelated data points and trends I have detected in media and industry reports. I am however not familiar with the area. I am looking, metaphorically speaking, for canaries. The people and places that would provide the first indications of things going wrong. In particular things involving Overeds."

Helmet secured, Sofia climbs onto the bike right behind Mitsue and puts her hands around the courier's waist so she won't fall off. "Also it appears you were followed by some juveniles. It seems likely you know each other, and that you have some level of authority over them. It seems unlikely to be siblings, based on phenotype, unless you are adopted, which I put at a low probability." Sofia tilts her head slightly. "You teach?"

Using Advice on Mitsue for her roll to figure out where to go. Provides +4 dice and -1 Crit.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova HP: 29/29 | ER: 42

Sofia tilts her head again, considering the scene from a new angle. Then she walks over and slips an arm around Mitsue's waist. "Your students have very active imaginations. 'Spook' is certainly a creative way to describe my former employment. Did you really skip class to meet me? That is sweet of you, but I could have waited if you were busy."

And that's when 'TigerMAX' pops out of the bush. Sofia sighs. "You claim my use of an alias is a signifier of immoral character, but you introduce yourself under one. I think there is a flaw in your reasoning."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 20, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia raises an eyebrow at 'TigerMAX.'

"So you know about Overeds. And you mimicked our voices perfectly. Hanuman, then. And something else. Tiger - Chimera? Yes, that would fit. And your friend must be an Overed as well if you're speaking so openly." Sofia nods to herself. "My name is Sofia Liu-Vostrokova. I have no wish to fight you. I would, actually, like to have your input on certain things. For certain reasons, I think that potentially troublesome events may occur here in the near future. If I find out more, I may be able to determine their nature and help minimize any damage. In return, I will answer those question I am able to without endangering others."

She turns to Mitsue. "If you will allow, we can begin here then. I wish to find out more about Overeds in this city and now I have three locals immediately available. But not out here of course. Is there somewhere we can have privacy and also get something to eat or drink? It would be preferable to standing where anyone could hear us."

Sofia looks around as she speaks, just to make sure no one is staring too openly. "Besides, unless things are done differently in Japan, you are supposed to buy someone you ask out something nice for your first meal together."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Not all of them. They seem a little young for that," Sofia deadpans.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Normally I would say that you would rupture first, but somehow it does not seem implausible that you could ingest Moa burgers at a high enough rate that the result could reasonably be categorized as an explosion," Sofia comments, then addresses her own meal. She turns the sandwich around a few times, and looks at the sauce dripping off it. She puts it down and eats a waffle fry instead. "You are both in Mitsue-chan's class?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia takes a careful bite of her own sandwich. She carefully times here queries to keep others from overhearing. "Did you know TigerMAX was like you before today? I assume from your reaction you did not know this about Mitsue-chan. Do you know others? You do not need to tell me who they are if you do not wish to, but if there has been a recent increase in the appearance of those like us, it would be a powerful indicator."

After a moment, she picks up a napkin and grabs Mitsue's chin with a finger and a thumb, and wipes some sauce off her face. "You have some on your cheek."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia puts down her sandwich, her expression devoid of any playfulness now - though the difference is mostly in contrast, given how reserved she tends to be. "Ex Machina. If he is here, then my suspicions are almost certainly correct." She watches Josephine carefully. "Be careful with the terminology you use - the classification of illegal on its own immediately betrays your association."

She taps the table with one finger, then continues. "When you ask why I am here, there are a number of things that can mean. Why am I in Kariya. Why was I meeting Mitsue-chan, and then why I came here to speak to you. And a foundational why - why I pursue to the goals that underly the answers to those other questions."

"I came to Kariya because I suspect something is going to happen here. What, I do not know. So I am here in this restaurant because Mitsue-chan is going to show me around your city so I can gather more information so I might put the pieces together. I am speaking to you because the puzzle involves people like us as the central players. And the Renegade in general as a primary mover of events. I care about these things because I have a strong personal desire to pursue those goals - to protect society from the potential dangers of Renegade, but also to help those like us."

"The reason I am approaching the problem this was is that I used to work for the UGN, but left after an operation led to my disillusionment with their methods. This has much to do with Ex Machina. He and I were both involved in the operation I mentioned. I do not know his opinion of the results of that event, and to a large extent I do not particularly care. You can ask him about me if you would like. I would state that my assessment of him is that he shares my ideals, but believes that the UGN takes a pragmatic approach and that their choices are simply the understandable results of translating those ideals into an imperfect world. That assessment is where he and I differ."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia blinks at Mitsue for a moment. "Oh. My apologies, I did not realize." She cups her chin with one hand, thinking. "The Universal Guardian Network is an organization founded shortly after the formal discovery of the Renegade virus. Its stated purpose was to promote the co-existance of Overeds and normal humans, and the acceptance of Overeds into society. It gained support from many nations that had suffered from Renegade and Overed related issues. It repaid the support by providing assistance from its operatives. When the UGN's founder... was lost, the world governments exerted greater influence and formed Axis, the central planning body. Since that time national branches have also asserted greater independence. In its current state, in my experience and opinion, functions more to control and regulate Overeds and to further research to exploit the Renegade. And the national branches often function as arms of their respective hosts." She stops and takes a sip of her drink while someone passes close to their table.

"Japan accepted the UGN late, initially attempting to deal with Overed on its own. Eventually the need exceeded their capabilities, but there remains a divide between the sections of Japanese government as to their relationship with the UGN. The SDF and National Security tend to view the UGN as rivals or are overtly hostile. The UGN is fairly decentralized in Japan. The head branch office acts in a supervisory role, but the local branches are relatively independent."

"I can go into greater detail, but that should provide a decent overview."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia very carefully puts aside her meal, her gaze fixing on the girl. "I would argue that supporting a flawed strategy ultimately simply delays inevitable failure, and that in such a case taking a risk of immediate defeat to create the opportunity for victory is the only real choice. Regardless - good afternoon, Planner. To what do we owe the honor?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia interjects softly, "It is rather unlikely that there is anyone in this city that could not be called inexperienced next to Planner. Likely not in the entire country." Sofia is clearly on edge, staring at Planner without any attempt to pretend otherwise, watching for the smallest movement. "Are you going to introduce your companion?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Why have you pushed False Hearts so hard?" Sofia does not really expect an answer to this question, but she's already putting aside the rest of her meal and getting to her feet. Planner is not to be trusted, but the opportunity is worth the risk. "My apologies, Mitsue-chan, but I must request your services to reach this location. I would suggest you two not follow," she says to Jo and Jan, "but I suspect it would be pointless."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova HP: 29/29 | ER: 42->52

Sofia considers the storefront as she undoes the strap to the helmet. "A good place for a secret meeting. Or an ambush." She puts the helmet back where Mitsue got it from, then turns to her, giving a slight bow. "Thank you for the meal, and for your support. This is likely to be beyond what was expected of you by your employer, so I would understand if you wished to remain here. But I would appreciate it if you would accompany me."

"It would just be the two of us still, of course, but as they say, two heads are better than one."

Once Mitsue is ready, Sofia is going to head in through the front door.

[20:04] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 10 = 10

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova HP: 29/29 | ER: 52

"Supposedly members of False Hearts are to meet with certain contacts here. Can you tell if anyone is inside already? Ideally I would like to observe the meeting, but if one side or the other is already here it may be useful to pose as their contacts in order to gather information."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova HP: 29/29 | ER: 52

Sofia does indeed take Mitsue's hand. "Luck then."

"Five... interesting. Probably one is an Orcus of some sort." Sofia considers. "It will be worth seeing what happens." With that, she nods to Mitsue and heads inside.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova HP: 29/29 | ER: 54

Sofia takes in the occupants of the room, letting the you man finish before she replies. When she does, she lets a bit of an accent slip into her Japanese.

"Two of our associates were supposed to meet us here but were delayed. You can call me Ms Blue, and this is Ms Green. We work for the Guild. Our boss is looking for information about this area, and sent us to get it. Nothing that would interfere with your thing, of course."

[22:17] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, (8, 7 5 5 4 3 3)(5) = 15

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 11, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova HP: 29/29 | ER: 54

Sofia is about to jump in with an excuse for Jan's arrival, about overly exuberant subordinates, but then Ex Machina announces his arrival in impossible to mistake terms. That has well torn it.

"Window!" She snaps to Mitsue, then makes a run for it herself, choosing a path that should hopefully intersect with Jan so she can grab the little shapeshifter on her way out. Hopefully one of them will catch her on the way down. Even if not, then it's still a more survivable proposition than fighting it out in here.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova HP: 5/29 | ER: 54->59

Sofia lays on the cold pavement, and stares up at the grey sky. She always hates this part. It's better than staying dead, but only marginally. "They'll be coming out after us in a moment. The people approaching on the street are, nominally, friendly. If less than clever."

Got a 21 for my Will roll.
[23:35] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, (10 10 10, 7 7 2 1)(9 4 3) = 19 (+2 from Skill).

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova HP: 5/29 | ER: 54->59

Sofia grabs at Mitsue's wrist. "Friend." She sighs. "For the supposed smartest man in the world, you really are quite an idiot."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova HP: 5/29 | ER: 59->

Sofia pulls herself up to speak to Mitsue. "Skip the dramatics and hit her as hard as you can while she is focused on him. Watch out for the one who shot me, she is down here in part to lure others into his line of fire."

Advice on Mitsue, +4 Dice and Crit -1.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova HP: 5/29 | ER: 63->68->72

Sofia tries pulling herself to cover, but the battle has washed over her position already, so she mostly ends up hunkering down where she is. She watches the woman's lightning fast attack routine, then realizes even at the speed of an Overed there's an opening - if she can time it just... right. "Mitsue! Now!"

Advice on Mitsue again, +4 Dice and Crit -1.
Resurrected at 5
[11:05] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 5 = 5

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova HP: 5/29 | ER: 72->84

Sofia discovers her hiding spot is not much use, getting hit again in the escalating fight, but the virus keeps her moving. She can't resist rolling her eyes at Ex Machina, but the fact of the matter is taking down the two primary False Heart agents will likely require removing their support. Peering around, she waves at Mitsue to get her attention. "Take down their support if you can! You have a maneuver advantage! Let them engage then strike while their attention is elsewhere!"

Advice on Mitsue again, +4 Dice and Crit -1.
Resurrected at 8.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova HP: 5/29 | ER: 84

Sofia lets herself get pulled along. "Agreed." She tries to make eye-contact with Cleena as they pull back, considering a way to arrange a meeting later. "Even if we went with Ex Machina, experience indicates that we would not gain much useful information anyways."

"You know the area better, take us wherever you think would be safe for the moment."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia feels her phone buzz, and checks it.

[ Myself. I will keep quiet. In return, would appreciate intel. ]

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia puts a hand on Mitsue's arm. "I very much appreciate your discretion, but this is actually the sort of thing I was looking for." She looks over at Ordnance. "We might be willing to help if you explain what you know."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia looks around. "It is not just for spying. Its a network for launching strikes. The attacks on your comrades," she nods to Ordnance, "were likely to test concepts and lay groundwork for a subsequent large scale attack. And they now know we are aware of them."

She pulls a pocketwatch out from under her jacket, makes sure its wound and checks something, then snaps it closed again. "I do not think we have much time."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia lets the others lead the way. Recent experience demonstrated that getting stuck in the middle of the fray is not the best use of her abilities. She also pulls out her phone and starts composing a message.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia's Text posted:

Catalyst: Believe events may be coming to a head. Please check emergency bands and meteorology and alert if any major or unusual events reported.
Switchboard: kk on it

She follows at the end of the group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sofia doesn't wait for explanations. She starts heading for the damaged building immediately.

• Locked thread