Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
The Demons Stir

On the roof of Hanashima building during late sunday night, 5 shadowy figures look over Kariya, planning.

“I see you’ve been working hard.”

“Well yeah, this mission is kind of important, right~? Anyways a fair number of False Hearts lieutenants in the area have been killed.”

“Good, they should hold a meeting today considering how their command structure functions. This building is likely to be where it’s held… Can you take care of the objective by yourself?”

“I can handle a skyscraper or two just fine. So long as the Orchard is empty when I do it.”

“Oh, don’t worry about that! Just don’t do anything crazy until we’re ready.”

“Very well, let us commence our new plan.”

12 Hours Later...

In the Branch Chief’s office, a small and a bit stifling affair that is tucked away in an unassuming section of the college campus. The new Branch Chief is finishing up a call with Mr. Kiritani, the director of the Japan UGN Branch. He had called right before Ex Machina was going to brief his two new agents, too.

“I wanted to warn you about something. It seems like there might be bigger threat headed your way than we thought, but we can’t spare any more manpower right now… Do you know anything about something called Solomon’s Key?”

Just outside Ex Machina’s office, the two new agents idle around, waiting to be called in. There’d probably be no harm in wandering around or talking a bit, even though they’ve both heard this branch chief has a bit of a short fuse…

How annoying.

It’s the week leading up to New Years on Sunday and you’re stuck in school. Jan and Josephine are just 2 of the 10 troublemakers stuck in class together taking make-up assignments because of the amount of times they’ve just skipped school. Ms. Hasegawa, a substitute teacher, was hired to fill in for some other teacher that called in “sick” for this particular assignment.

It wouldn’t be an issue for Hasegawa, except now it looks like her boss just texted her about a new job.

quote:

New Job.

Client is named Sofia Liu-Vostrokova.

Dig up some info, meet her in 30 minutes. Located at Central Park pickup location.

The look on your face when you received the text must have given something away, because Jan, probably one of the strangest students you’ve taught, is looking at you intently. It’s like she’s expecting something…

Scene 1C: Just Business Location: Kariya Central Park
Sofia Liu-Vostrokova

Sofia stands near a parking lot at the beginning of Kariya Central Park, on the phone with Shotaro Kashima.

“Alright, I just called my driver. She’ll show you around some secure spots to gather info. Hell, if anyone there likes you enough you might get into a special meet later. So, do you have any solid proof of not being with the UGN? I don’t care much either way, but some of my contacts just might.”

Alright, this is the first scene so it's mostly setup and character introduction, you guys can do what you want in your scenes to establish your character or anything like that. Also, don't forget to roll 1d10 to add to your encroachment when beginning a scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Scene 1A: Orientation Location: The International University of Enviornmental Information
Ra’id “Ex Machina” Belcry, Luca “Finding Truths” Jaegar, Eadan “Sparrow” Callaghan

It seems like Yugo Kiritanai didn't expect you to be so well informed.

"Oh! You've already heard? I'm surprised your father- In any case, the group that was transporting the artifact to a safe location was attacked... Only overeds were hurt, though, and any normal researchers in the group thought that all the overeds just... appeared, already defeated, in an instant. The overeds attacked are still recovering a week later, but they said that everything around them just kind of... stopped while they fought the assailant in real time. Not only that but the artifact was stolen in that same instant. It came to my attention that a case you're dealing with is similar so I thought I would give you a heads up. I'll work on sending more manpower there if it turns out you need it."

Out in the hall, a woman approached the branch chief's office carrying a small stack of files, and looks at the two loitering by the front door over intently.

"Hmmmm... Are you the new hires for the branch chief? What are your syndromes? Anything special I should know about? I really like it when the new ones are special..."

"Generators? Well, whatever. Anyway, if you're gonna be in town for a while there are some things I might need investigating. You up for any new job opportunities?"

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Scene 1A: Orientation Location: The International University of Enviornmental Information
Ra’id “Ex Machina” Belcry, Luca “Finding Truths” Jaegar, Eadan “Cleena” Callaghan

"Hmm..." the woman leans in closer to Eadan, "It feels like you're hiding something... Well, it doesn't seem like it has to do with your syndromes so I don't care~"

She then pushes the files in her hand onto Luca.

"Give these to the chief, you're meeting him right? You should tell him to be less stressed, or maybe MORE stressed if I get to see something as fascinating as that again!" She then walks away laughing, leaving Finding Truths to hold the files.

You can't help but analyze the small amount of files you could see past the folders concealing their contents, a few words leap out at you: "Renegade cells respecializing" and "mental structure losing purebree-"

There isn't too much more you can pick out besides that without opening the files up.

"Causing too much trouble would have the law breathing down my back. I've got to worry about repercussions more than you'd think... Anyway, it's tied to what you want to do in the first place. I just want to know about anything you hear from the people you go to talk to. That way both of us get a clearer picture of what's going on in town, you got me?"

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Ra’id “Ex Machina” Belcry, Luca “Finding Truths” Jaegar, Eadan “Cleena” Callaghan

With that, the orientation has ended and each person goes there seperate way to investigate "Red Eyes", or any other issue that they might deem important...

Alright, 1A has essentially ended and your next post should be in a different scene, either seperate or together. Make either an Info or Knowledge roll that seems applicable in IRC and I'll point you in a direction that makes sense. Depending on your roll, of course.

"I just wanted to make sure we're on the same page here... I won't lie here, I got some dangerous acquaintances right now so having an overed like you and Mitsue'll be helpful for keeping me in the know and them in check. Anyway, I need to go now. Your driver should be there soon."

With that, Shotaro hang up and left Sofia to wait. A few minutes later Mitsue enters the parking lot on her motorcycle. She can't shake the feeling she was followed by Jan, but she lost track of her renegade student while she was driving...

Jan, Josephine, and Mitsue can enter the scene however they want now. Don't forget to increase your encroach again though!

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Scene 2A: Investigation Location: The International University of Enviornmental Information
Luca “Finding Truths” Jaegar, Eadan “Cleena” Callaghan

As you two approach the morgue, found in a special clinic behind 7 different kinds of access points of varying security levels in a restricted part of the university, the morgue doors open and you see a young girl leave. You almost bump into each other, in fact.

"Excuse me." With that, she takes a hurried bow and rushes towards the exit of the morgue.

You can make out a terrible shredded corpse on a open table. It looks like it's the latest victim of these killings. You can't seem to find the mortician anywhere, though.

You'll have to get closer to examine the body.

Scene 1C: Just Business Location: Kariya Central Park
Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova, Jan "TigerMAX" Smith, Josephine "Steel Nerves" Wainwright, Mitsue "Schwarzschild" Hasegawa

With Sofia and Mitsue together, it was time for them to get underway and introduce Sofia to the Kariya underworld

All you guys need to do is roll to find info about a good place to gather information about what's happening in Kariya. The term "Just Business" makes sense so the scene won't change, just the location. Alternatively, you could discuss where to go for a bit so Josephine can catch up, or try to locate Jan.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Scene 2A: Investigation Scene: Kariya, The International University of Enviornmental Information, Hidden Morgue

Cleena looks through the morgue files and picks up the morticians report. Some snippets stand out in the abstract near the end, summing up all the technical details.

It looks like the victim had been constantly torn at and gnawed upon while being kept alive due to their natural healing factor. The bite and tear marks throughout the body were done by a human mouth, and slabs of skin had been taken off throughout. Then, an efficient blow to the back of the head pierced the skull and scrambled the brain of the victim.

The mortician had concluded from the savagery of the damage inflicted on an already disabled enemy, combined with the efficient lethal blow, was probably due to extended torture for an unknown goal, an impulse, or a mix of both.

As Finding Truths examines the person's personal effects, he finds wads of cash and a bag full of black pills. A drug dealer perhaps? Aside from that he also finds a cellphone, although it's irreparably broken. If you're lucky their might be some data on it... Maybe tyou could even hack into that phone's account.

The unknown man's clothes are torn to shreds as expected. Finding information on that will be difficult...

Scene 2D: Damage Control Scene: Kariya, The International University of Enviornmental Information, UGN Branch Office
Ra'id Belcry

As Ra'id puzzles over his predicaments, his phone starts ringing. The caller ID identifes the person as Mitsuo Kurashima. He shouldn't even know about this number... even if he did he wouldn't call unless he had good reason to, likely because someone was going to pay him.

What could such a highly skilled back-alley doctor used by so many people on either side of the law be calling you about? Either way, you should probably pick up the phone.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Scene 2A: Investigation Scene: Kariya, The International University of Enviornmental Information, Hidden Morgue

"Those pills are a drug called Black Abyss. There's millions of yen worth of the stuff in that bag. They're powerful renegade stimulants."

It was then that someone new entered the morgue. "Did anyone ever tell you not to rifle through people's stuff?"

As Cleena pokes through the phone's remaining data she learns the users name had been Sawao Hasekura. She also is able to find info on the person's last few calls... one that sticks out as the last call made is to someone Sawao had listed as Captain. It looks like you now have this "captain"'s phone number, whoever they are.

"This Ra'id Belcry? I got told by my patient to call you and tell you that 'Dragon Breath has something important to tell you'. She's pretty banged up though. She's sleeping right now... So do you wanna transfer her to someplace else or come here and talk to her? I finished treating the most serious injuries but she won't be able to move around much for a month, at least."

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 22, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Yeah, I'm the mortician, call me Dr. Muleto. I'm gonna assume your UGN agents, but it's not like I can stop you if you aren't..."

The young, gloomy mortician continues on once Finding Truths ask him about what he's prepared for.

"Well, yeah, but I'm not surprised at how violent it is, really. Gjaum do crazy poo poo all the time, so I'm prepared for it. What IS surprising is the switch-up between eating the guy and then killing him as fast as possible... A gjaum by itself woulda either killed the guy fast or killed him slowly. They're not super good at switching things up. So, chances are, it's getting help or it's being controlled by someone else. Usually, False Hearts are the only ones that really use gjaum but uh, it was obviously not them, considering." He says as he points to the corpse.

So now the overeds take a detour to a fast food joint to talk...

Scene 2D: Damage Control Scene: Kariya, Kuroshima Clinic
Ra'id "Ex Machina" Belcry

You head to the other side of town as quickly as you can, finding a ramshackle house on the more rural outskirts of Kariya. There's no outside evidence of it being a clinic of a highly skilled doctor, but you know differently. Inside, you will find Doctor Kuroshima and Dragonbreath, hopefully things aren't too grim...

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Well, most gjaums don't have 2 personalities. If they do they're both crazy, just maybe in different ways... Maybe if it's a gjaumed Collaborator renegade being they could have 2 distinct personalities. Aside from that, the killer could be a rogue False Hearts agent, or just one with different motivations, They're not really unified or anything after all... No way to tell with the leads we have right now, though. Unless you guys have some False Hearts leads hiding up your sleeves or something. I'm not one to judge." Dr. Muleto finished with a shrug.

Dr. Kuroshima is standing by a stairwell as you enter the house. He thumbs back behind him, gesturing that Dragonbreath is up-stairs. As you walk together up-stairs, the doctors bored expression never changes as he details the work he did and what you owe him.

"I had to use about a meter of synthetic skin to cover up tears and things, I also used about 20 mgs of Morphine in the past 3 hours because she's wanted to stay up when I told her you were coming... So we're talking at least 1 million yen."

Then, the doctor opens an upstairs door to a sterile, white room with no windows, medical supplies surround the room, and on a bed at the center of the room was Dragonbreath, covered in bandages all throughout her body and lying on the bed. Various IVs are stuck into her as well. She opens her eyes and looks at you without moving her head off the pillow.

"Chief."

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Cleena hears someone pick up on the other side, then silence for a second, then finally a cold, impersonal young man talks on the other side.

"You know, no one's supposed to use this number any more. Considering I don't recognize the ID, and this phone is clean from all call lists... I'll assume you have business with me."

Dragonbreath takes some time to think, and the doctor leaves so as not to hear any sensitive information, and then answers slowly.

"...dunno. All I DO know was that the guy was opening up a Dimension Gate in the air. Dunno why or anything, but when he saw me we fought and then the bastard tried to loving eat me! Just... took chunks o' skin and stuff off with his claws and put them in his mouth... But that's what I wanted to tell you. Now that I know about the gate I think I can find other ones. I can kinda... feel them now that I know what to look for."

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Tell me who you are, what your affiliations are, and why you're calling." it was less a question and more a demand. "Otherwise we're done here. I've stopped caring about who may or may not be listening."

Cleena could bring up the UGN or The Guild, considering, but lying in a way where Sawao wouldn't suspect your allegiances would require a pretty good social roll!

"I think I can point to places where the gates are from here so long as I have a map. And the guy... The guy had black hair and this grim look on his face... What was weird was that he had pointed ears and orange eyes... but then I noticed this... this MASSIVE killing intent. I didn't have much choice after he noticed me, I felt like I'd have to fight him or I'd be dead. That bastard didn't even break a sweat when I used my moves on him either!"

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 28, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"I'll send you directions in a text.. I will tell you right now that I won't be coming alone. Don't try anything you'll regret."

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Sure, I think so." Then, Dragon Breath took the map in her bandaged hands, she took a pen and then started marking Xs in the spots she thought contained a gate, as she was doing this she asked a question.

"So... who do you think'd have an overed that strong just hanging around without us knowing about it? I mean, I didn't recognize him from any of the Most Wanted lists..."

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Scene 2A: Investigation Scene: Kariya, Star-buck

As the two UGN agents await for the time of the meeting, they decide to grab a bite to eat and discuss things at a rather pricey coffee shop. On the UGNs dime, of course.

You all hear the voice of a girl in the booth behind Sofia and Mitsue; "Humanity has very few true allies in this world."

Theme: The World Revealed

Then, two children pop their heads over the booth, a boy and a girl and look at the group of overeds. The young girl then continues speaking.

"Critically weakening the group trying to guard stability, no matter how imperfect it is, could prove very dangerous. Not many people are resourceful or altruistic enough to help without something compelling them to."

Then the two children wait, seeing how the group will react.

When Dragonbreath speaks again, her voice is completely level, and drips with mirth.

"Wow, you really broke it down there. So, how hard would you try to subdue this Gjaum, anyway? Oh, and..."

Dragonbreath then extends her arm out, signaling for you to take the map with several X's marking supposed gate spots. Dragonbreath's brown eyes have also shifted to red while you weren't looking...

"What d'you think they're planning to do with the Key?"

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Scene 1C: Just Business Location: Kariya Shopping Mall, Moa Burger
Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova, Jan "TigerMAX" Smith, Josephine "Steel Nerves" Wainwright, Mitsue "Schwarzschild" Hasegawa

"Do you really think humanity has the ability to maintain this paradigm in the long run? Interesting." Planner says with a bit of a melancholic smile. "In any case, I simply wanted to direct you to somewhere you may get some answers. You are too much of a wild card to be left alone, and I would rather you didn't jump to conclusions with a group of inexperienced overeds at your disposal."

"It's ok to look at least a LITTLE upset, you know." The person says as the color on her face disppears, revelaing a layer of leaves that pull back and form green hair, now a new girl is looking at you. She seems to be looking too affectionate considering you just met. "I got you GOOD! I thought you'd be off your game, considering, but STILL..."

"You can call me Hel, or maybe Jimenju? I've been called both, one more recently than the other... Anyways, the doctor doesn't know anything, and I simulated all of that girl's injuries from when I last saw her, so you still owe him his money~!" She says with a smile. "Oh, and Iunno if Dragonbreath is still alive... I left that up to HIM to decide. I have a pretty good guess on what He'll do, though..."

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

The boy speaks plainly and matter of factly; "I don't speak to human vassals." He then looked away from you and out the window.

Then, Planner talks again in her calm and soothing voice.

"Some of my companions are rather proud, sorry about that... But onto more pressing matters. I will tell you that you have very good intuition, Catalyst. This town will be the center of something... important. I won't tell you what myself, but I'll lead you somewhere where you can get some information... In a short amount of time there will be a meeting between 2 undercover UGN agents and the False Hearts cell in the area. My companions have pushed the False Hearts to desperation, and they're taking any leads they can, no matter how dubious."

Hel lies back in bed and closes her eyes, relaxing. "I wouldn't count your agent out just yet, egghead." She says with a slight a slight, knowing smile. "This isn't my plan or anything, I'm just hoping to get somethin good out of it, along with having some fun. I'll show you something to help you understand what's happening, BUT..." Then, Hel turns her head to look at you, and opens her eyes.

"I want just one little thing... Show me everything you've ever experienced with George Waggner." She then returns to her normal, relaxed expression. "OK?"

She puts down the map she had marked, moves into a sitting position, and extends her hand out, presumably for you to shake it. "After that, maybe we can chat over some piping hot french bread or something." She says with a genuine-looking smile.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Thank you for hearing me out." Then, Planner and her companion get up and begin to leave. As she passes your table though, she looks at each of you intently, although Jan feels her eyes on her more intensely than everyone else. "I hope we can work together in the future, once you learn a bit more..."

With that, they begin to leave Moa Burger.

You can call out to Planner before she leaves if you want, or talk amongst yourselves while I finish up Damage Control and wrap this part of the episode up.

"Redundant?" Hel's smile drops a little, and her mirthful face turns serious. "How much of him do you think was left, anyway? Believe it or not, I AM trying to help him, and healing his mind is a way to do that. If you care enough to be THIS upset, you should be jumping at an opportunity like this, right? Besides, that creature inside him isn't something you should be smug about, all things considered!"

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Sure! Thanks for the meal~~!"

With that, you feel your senses fade, as you drift into the mind of Hel...

Fragments

quote:

In a dense forest steeped in the blood of countless battles, an ominous tree stands in the center. This tree, feeding on the blood and memories of humans throughout centuries, had taken on their visage. Its fruit and and bark bear the slight semblance to unique human faces, shifting their positions hour by hour, day by day. Few have ever seen the tree, for the forest guides travelers away, making them lose their way in memories long passed, frightened by phantoms long forgotten. Now an old acquaintance visits the tree, and she has brought guests...

A small girl wearing a necklace appear in front of the tree, along with her companion. In the companions arm lay the beaten body of a wild looking young man, but the tree could feel danger exuding from him even in his pitiable state.

"Jimenju, it has been quite a while."

The tree's fruits swivel, all of their faces looking directly at the girl as the tree "speaks": You look different. Just what have you brought into my forest?

"Something interesting. I realize you've never been interested in my plans but I can offer you something you want... You can leave this forest, and do whatever you wish once you have helped me. However, you must use this boy as your vessel, and keep him sane for as long as you can."

How many lives would that take? Half of them? All of them? If I plant myself in this boy I might be devoured myself.

"You have time. There is something... special in this one. When my plan is successful, you will be free and the threat this boy poses will be gone forever. I will ask nothing else of you besides that..."

Your senses return to you, and it seems like the only time that had passed were mere seconds. It looks like Hel had enjoyed the memories you had given her.

"Wow, you know so very little about him... That's a surprise!" She says with a bit of a laugh.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Hel looks confused for a second "Ent? If you mean the tree then everything that made it unique is gone now. That forest is barren." Then she goes back to her semi-serious demeanor. "The thing when it comes to George though, chances are good the plan'll kill him while I'm still set free." Hel then looks away, a bit wistfully. "He has-" Hel then looks up into empty space in surprise, and your cellphone begins ringing.

"Ha, looks like I'm in trouble~! Sorry but our talk is over now." Hel then shifts from a humanoid form in a mass of vines that slip out of the medical gown she was in and into a pile of clothes lying on a supply counter. The vines then take the clothes and settle close to the door leading out of the room. Hel then re-assumes her human form, wearing the clothes she likely came in with. "Tell me what the call is about first, though! Come on, I'm in a hurry!!"

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"What the hell is going on in this town!?" The angry voice on the other side is someone you've been briefed on, Kohei Samejima. "One of your agents just popped in out of nowhere in front of some doctors and the staff is in a huge panic about it! You and I are going to talk about this later, I swear."

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Scene 2A: Investigation Scene: Kariya, University Hospital

Luca couldn't find anything about a new murder site, but quickly learned of a severely injured, and unconscious, UGN agent witht he code name Dragon Breath that had recently showed up literally out of nowhere at the Kariya University Hospital, so they decide to head there and see what they can find.

When they show up, they learn she had been taken out fo the ER and to a "special cases" wing. Considering Dragon Breath an overed, this isn't a surprise.

As the two approach the room of Dragon Breath, they hear two voices through the closed door to the agent's room: one belongs to a middle aged woman, worry straining her voice, while the other belongs to that strange person that had approached both of you and asked about your syndromes early in the morning.

"I know you think all of this is exciting but shouldn't you leave Akira ALONE until she at LEAST wakes up!?"

"But it's so exciting! I've never seen this before or ANYTHING, I don't even know what's causing it ohmygodohmyohmygod~~"

As Sofia recieves a message from one of Planner's associates on her cellphone and learns where to go to find this meeting. Mitsue takes Sofia there while Josephine and Jan are no doubt following from the shadows. At this juncture, there's no point in trying to lose them, considering how much they know now and how far they've chased you.

Mitsue and Sofia end up in the abandoned part of town, filled with half-finished, unmarked, or abandoned buildings. They find themselves in front of one abandoned two story building in particular. It looks like it used to be a store, although the display windows are shattered. The door is half-opened, almost inviting you in. This is the place of the meeting you heard about, or at least that is what the text sent by Planner had stated... Jan and Josephine are likely not far behind, making sure to keep Sofia and Mitsue in view.

At the same time, Ra'id finds himself investigating a dimension gate in an area close to Mitsue and Sofia, although they certainly haven't run into each other yet. He had ample time to study the map of the dimension gates that Hel had handed to him, and now stands in front of one of the gates himself. Just what can he learn with these two things in hand?

Besides that, if Ra'id wants to investigate the physical gate in front of him, he needs to roll Sense to find it and discern any kind of properties he can from the small distortions it makes, if he wants to infer the reason for the gate's existence, or discern the meaning behind the pattern of all the gates surrounding Kariya, that'd be a Knowledge(Renegade) roll.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 9, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"I don't care about that, though! I've known her since she was a child and you can't just."

"Oh but I can! As a researcher it's my job to procure any new information on the renegade. The renegading replicating at a rate to fully heal a host of its own volition is AMAZING. I'm sending her in for tests. Right now."

"No. You're not. I'll get the branch chief on the line right now if you push this."

It looks like you won't be getting any more useful info out of eavesdropping at this rate...

As Mitsue and Sofia head inside, a masked person in a cloak and military-like body armor stands by the stairwell silently and nods. Leading you both upstairs. It'll be difficult for Jan to follow them from inside, maybe she could sneak in on the meeting by flying outside? Hopefully she doesn't get spotted for acting oddly for a bird...

There, a young man and a few henchman in suits are waiting. The youngman stares intently at Mitsue for a second, but the looks at Sofia, the one who looks to be leading here.

The young man starts asking questions, hard and fast: "First, who are you and why did you contact us. Second, how many overeds did you bring with you. Is it just the two of you or not?"

Sofia has profiling, so I'd recommend rolling Knowledge: UGN to try and figure out just what UGN agents would use as cover... Because Profiling is a power, you could use concentrate for it.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 11, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

The middle aged woman you had heard outside looks perplxed as she looks at both of you from her chair next to the bed side of a bandaged up and unconcious patient. The young woman you met earlier just looks amused as she stnads next to the patient, examining her arm. It looks like the woman had undone some of the bandages and was examining the patient's wounds closely.

"Now, now, you don't need to be so uptight. I am a UGN researcher and this is a new instance of renegade activity I haven't documented before. I use my authority to take this patient in for independent testing! Is that clear? I mean, I could explain how it's new but I'd doubt you'd understand~~."

The middle-aged woman stands up and gets in between the young woman and the patient.

"I SAID no. I don't care about protocol until she's well enough to wake up. Your tests could hurt her even more!"

Neither of them care about the gun Luca is waving around. At all.

Scene 3D: Encounters Scene: Kariya, Abandoned Area
Ra'id "Ex Machina" Belcry, Josephine "Steel Nerves" Wainwright, Mitsue "Schwarzschild" Hasegawa, Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova, Jan "TigerMAX" Smith

"Oh?" The young man says as he reaches into his pocket. He takes out a simple 500 yen coin. "What do I call THIS one?"

With that last sentence several small black orbs orbit around his hand as he flicks the coin in the direction of a lizard that had just entered the room. The coin accelerates to speeds faster than a bullet, and the sound of it breaking the sound barrier erupts throughout the abandoned area like a gunshot!

Ok so EVERYONE in the scene heard what sounded like a gunshot, and Jan, in her lizard form, was just attacked by the False Hearts leader. He rolled a 9(didn't use concentrate) and will deal 19 damage if it hits.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 11, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"dissecting? No I'd never do something like that on my own authority don't worry about THAT. I'm Rafflesia, a renegade researcher located here at this branch. THIS is Yoko Mizugichi. Just an agent."

"Not JU-" Rafflesia interrupts Yoko again, though.

"Dragon Breath's renegade is healing her wounds at a rapid rate, beyond what's needed to keep her alive. Which is odd in and of itself, and now I want to check to see if her encroachment rate has increased dramatically or not so I need to take a biopsy of one of her renegade glands. But I need to take her into have tests done to FIND one. She probably has one in her brain but I need authorization for that..."

Yoko, the middle aged women starts up now. "Akira doesn't deserve to have tests done to her before she even knows what's going on!"

"Oh, she'll probably be out for a few days if my theory holds true, it'll be FINE."

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Finding clusters of renegade matrial, something with similar density to other organic material in the body, can't be done with an MRI... do you know what you're even talking about? Anyways! It shouldn't be that big a deal. I just gotta analyze likely places the salamandra strain would manifest. It shouldn't be too bad I promise! AND the branch chief will get a full report of an unknown phenomena! It'll be great!"

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Oh, there's nothing WRONG with her! In fact..." Rafflesia's cheeks go flush. "There is something incredibly RIGHT! The renegade in her system is purposefully speeding up regeneration to brin the host back to full health without any input from her and I don't know the cause at all! USUALLY the renegade will do the bare minimum to rapidly stabilisie the host by multiplying at an indeterminate rate in emergencies but this is TOTALLY different. It's like someone rewrote it! It's AMAZING and I need to get a biopsy to see what the cause is ok!?"

Rafflesia is clearly excited and quite a bit irritated at you getting in her way.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Ra'id "Ex Machina" Belcry, Josephine "Steel Nerves" Wainwright, Mitsue "Schwarzschild" Hasegawa, Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova, Jan "TigerMAX" Smith, Luca “Finding Truths” Jaegar, Eadan “Cleena” Callaghan

As Sofia and Mitsue grab Jan and jump for the window, the False Hearts leader takes out 8 100 yen coins and launches so fast it almost sounds like a JET is taking off, at the same time, one of the mooks in a suit lashes out with his electrified whip he had stashed behind his back. When the 3 overeds fall 2 stories and hit the floor, Mitsue has a gash in her back and Sofia was terminally injured, several searing puncture holes dot her abdomen. Even now the Renegade works overtime to keep her functional. To their right is Josephine and Ra'id, who had been looking at the abandoned shop building a moment before.

With what little investigating Luca and Cleena could do was out of the way, they headed off to their meeting with the False Hearts. When they arrived, however, they saw a group of 3 people diving out of the window, and the branch chief talking to some teenaged girl in a uniform! Just what is going on!?

Then it hits everyone, that instinctive reflex of the renegade to fight when threatened...

First things first, Eadan and Luca just entered a new scene and need to roll Encroach. Also, everyone needs to roll for Impulse because this is the start of a fight.

Noe for what happened. The FH Cell Leader and one of the mooks had higher initiative, so the attacked Sofia and Mitsue, Sofia took 90 damage(don't ask) and used Resurrect to come back with 5 health, Mitsue took 6 damage.

Black Obol: 17
Mook 1: 12
Ra’id 12
Mook 2: 11
Sofia: 10
Mook 3: 9
Josephine: 9
Luca: 9
Mitsue: 8
Eadan: 7
Jan: 5
Ordnance: 3

Ties go to first come first serve. And here is a rough map of where you are for placement reasons and such

If you don't understand how it works ask me in chat.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 12, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Ra'id "Ex Machina" Belcry, Josephine "Steel Nerves" Wainwright, Mitsue "Schwarzschild" Hasegawa, Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova, Jan "TigerMAX" Smith, Luca “Finding Truths” Jaegar, Eadan “Cleena” Callaghan

The ceiling above Ra'id is slashed into tiny pices, the debris falling around him, and a thin woman in a suit drops down, katana in hand, lightning dancing around it. She slashes down into Ra'id's right shoulder, the cut is deep and painful, but not completely deadly. She then lands right in fron of him, her eyes staring into Ra'ids, full of rebellious spite.

"I'll work with anyone besides the UGN." She spits out with venom.

Ra'id just took 28 damage and is now in an engagement with Mook 2.

Ra’id 12

Battle Map

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

A chill looking man in a suit looks out the window, and waves his hand.

Then, Jan sees Ra'id right in front of her now asking her all these questions about her family and who she is and ohmygod~~~!

Mook 3 used Absolute Terror comboed with MAgic Words of Destruction, so Jan takes 17 damage and is now dazed.

Ra’id 12

Battle Map

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 14, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Luca's shot hits the henchman on the second story, and he stumbles back. It looks like he's trying to use the window as cover for desperation. Not that it'll matter much.

First, Mitsue comes in gores the katan wielding henchwoman's shoulder. Then, Josephine jumps at the woman in a suit, the woman jumps back, taking the blade out of Ra'id and the horn out of her in the process while also dodging Josephine's strike. She looks around, and sees 3 combat-level overed's opposing her, but she doesn't put down her sword.

She spits out a remark as she waits for the incomoing onslaught: "You're nothing but fascists following non-overeds without even thinking!"

At the same time as that's going on, a girl covered in black body armor, a gas mask, and a rain coat. Ra'id can recognize the black raincoat, especially because it isn't even raining, as the signature outfit of the masked "Ordnance", a Hanuman/Morpheus crossbreed who can expertly create complex objects,typically explosives, and uses her blinding speed and ability to create mannequins to avoid attacks with ease. No one knows her real identity, but she's been working with the False Hearts from a very young age, always wearing a mask of some sort and a black raincoat.

Ordnance then quickly approaches Jan and Sofia, her unaggressive approach puts them both off-guard for a second as she pets TigerMAX's head. Then, a synthesized voice emanates from the mask: "Leave"

Then the place Ordnance touched glows for a second... and explodes. Violently, with a loud BOOM. At the same time, the henchman with the bladewhip that had struck Mitsue leaps out and attacks Sofia with his whip, cutting deeply into her.

Back in the house, the young man Sofia had been talking to floats down from the hole in the ceiling, tiny black orbs surrounding him. He drops down between you and his sword wielding henchwoman. "If you or your subordinates hit her again I won't make this quick, Mr. Branch Chief."

Ra'id recognized this person, too. Black Obol, a pure breed Balor that specialized in using compact Evil Eyes to launch or repel object at prodigious speeds with spectacular force. He gets his name because of his use of coins to send his enemies to the underworld.

With that, he flicks a coin at Ra'id's chest, again the sound of something breaking the sound barrier breaks through the air as it pierces Ra'id.

Luca hurt Mook 3 and he's almost dead, one hit from anyone will take him out. First, Ordance used Insant Bomb+Energy Wave to hurt Jan, dealing enough damage to kill her, she then used resurrect and came back with 10 HP. Mook 1 then jumped in and hit Sofia for 19 damage. Mook 2 dodged Josephine's attack, but was hit by Mitsue and is also close to death.

Black Obol hit Ra'id for 38 damage.

Ra’id 12

Battle Map

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 15, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Tch." Black Obol lets out a sign of irritation as the acid enters his body. "Guess there ien't much choice, then. Go!"

Then, the henchwoman rushes forward and swiftly strikes out at all three enemy overeds with fast attacks that erupt like lightning.

Black Obol now has Taint lvl 3 and will take 9 during the cleanup process(so basically at the start of his turn). Then, Mook 2 used a combo of Weapon Link+Lightning Attack+Fury to hit every enemy in the engagement for 17 damage.

Ra’id 12

Battle Map

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 16, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

The previously relaxed henchman on the second floor left the window in a bit of a panic, wishing to avoid getting sniped, and instead peers through the floor and looks at Josephine.

Then Josephine hears trucks closing in behind her and two giant headlights coming closer and closer... they're gonna..!!!

Mook 3 used Absolute Terror+Magic Words of Destruction to deal 14 damage to Josephine and inflict Dazed on her.

Ra’id 12

Battle Map

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

As Eadan's blade and Luca's bullet pierce Ordnance, they immediately realise something is wrong, especially when Eadan notices that behind the combat mask, this ordnance has no eyes. She then hears a lou dbeeping and the- BOOM! It looks like ordnance had created a decoy of herself exceptionally quickly and implanted it with explosives. Eadan noticed fast enough to move out of the way, however.

"Handle the woman. I will take the girl." Ordnance said, now positioned behind Eadan. The False Hearts agent's footwork is quick and phenomenal, it will likely be very difficult for you to get a hit in at this rate.

Obol tisks to himself and targets Josephine as she moves to engage his weakened subordinate. It seems Ra'id's poison might be getting the best of him as his strike is off-target. It's certainly interesting, though, that Black Obol prioritizes targeting someone who isn't targeting him while he is surrounded by three enemy overeds.

With Ordnance's command, though, the henchman with the bladed whip strikes out at Sofia once again. Breaking down even more of her battered body as the renegade continues to spread itself uncontrollably to keep her conscious and standing upright.

Ra’id 12

Battle Map

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 31, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Apologies." The girl says quietly in the same synthetic voice, her expression unchanging.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

As the long-haird man crouches on the floor, holding his bleeding chest wound, looks up at Josephine, he cracks a bit of a charming smile.

"You win! Ya mind if I call it quits?"

At the same time, Eadan's hair stands on end. She senses something very bad beginning to develope from the second story of the store. She's felt this feeling before when overeds were developing into Gjaums.

Mook 3 has begun using Gentic-Shift as a last ditch effort to overpower you. The only one who notices, however, is Eadan.

Initiative(Bolded names are who is going next)

Ra’id 12

Battle Map

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"I don't control what people see i-it was self defense, self defense!" The man says with a nervous smile.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

A digital crackle comes out of Ordnance's mask, it sounds like a distorted sigh causing a mic to pop. Cleena didn't notice when or how, but Ordnance had quickly left the UGN agent's grip on her. She then quickly moves over to Mitsue and pushes you off of her friend. She then looks down at him as he covers his face and says "Grab Takara".

After that she shouted over to Ra'id: " I will help. Let everyone leave in exchange." Black Obol looks over a bit surprised, but he doesn't say anything, and he keeps his defenses up.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"It couldn't be more important than what I know." Ordnance says as Ra'id leaves the store. Black Obol, on the other hand, decides to leave as the his subordinates are gathered around him. He opens a dimensional gate, whisking all 4 of them away.

"Is anyone here a balor" Ordnance shouts out in her synthesized voice to everyone present.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Ordnance points to Mitsue. "You. Need your help finding something. Have you felt a large distortion in gravity."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"You owe us for your life. Help to pay us back."

• Locked thread